Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

My computer doesn't give me the chance to enter any kind of bootup options... it just goes right to "booting darwin" or whatever it says. any suggestions as to how else I can enter "-v"?

I know what it's supposed to look like because I used to dual boot OS X with XP on my dimension 3000, but this scenario is beyond my comprehension at the moment

Edited by punkrockml13

My computer doesn't give me the chance to enter any kind of bootup options... it just goes right to "booting darwin" or whatever it says. any suggestions as to how else I can enter "-v"?

I know what it's supposed to look like because I used to dual boot OS X with XP on my dimension 3000, but this scenario is beyond my comprehension at the moment

you mean pressing F8 is not working?

I am trying to dual boot vista and osx I have followed the install guide to the "T" and i still cant get it to work.

My hardware:

DS3 rev1 board

E6300 OC 3.2

3 SATA Hard Drives (2 WD250GB & 1 Seagate150GB)

1 PATA DVD Drive

This is what i have done numerous times...Clean install of vista...during install set up 30GB partition and leave it as unallocated space...once Vista is completely installed I use the disk part command and prep the partition. I allready have downloaded the 10.4.8 reseed and the JMB patch. Patched iso and burnt it. Set bios back to factory defaults no OC... 0-3 ports enabled and in IDE mode. After loading the disc I use the -v option its starts to load and then i get the dreaded waiting for root. I thought maybe it was the wd Drive so i switched it to the seagate still same problem. Any Ideas on What the hell I am doing wrong. Maybe i have Dl the wrong file from demonoid but not exactly sure. I downloaded the MAC OS X 10.4.8 Intel Only Jas re-seed (SSE3 Only - NO AMD) and used the JMB patch.

I am trying to dual boot vista and osx I have followed the install guide to the "T" and i still cant get it to work.

My hardware:

DS3 rev1 board

E6300 OC 3.2

3 SATA Hard Drives (2 WD250GB & 1 Seagate150GB)

1 PATA DVD Drive

This is what i have done numerous times...Clean install of vista...during install set up 30GB partition and leave it as unallocated space...once Vista is completely installed I use the disk part command and prep the partition. I allready have downloaded the 10.4.8 reseed and the JMB patch. Patched iso and burnt it. Set bios back to factory defaults no OC... 0-3 ports enabled and in IDE mode. After loading the disc I use the -v option its starts to load and then i get the dreaded waiting for root. I thought maybe it was the wd Drive so i switched it to the seagate still same problem. Any Ideas on What the hell I am doing wrong. Maybe i have Dl the wrong file from demonoid but not exactly sure. I downloaded the MAC OS X 10.4.8 Intel Only Jas re-seed (SSE3 Only - NO AMD) and used the JMB patch.

You should set the 0-3 ports to native, and tell us the packages u selected @ install.. Did you manage to install? or you can't enter the install routine?

these are the settings in bios

sata port 0-3 native mode = enabled

onboard sata ide device= enabled

onboard sata/ide cntrl mode = ide

also never finished install it starts to go through then i get the waiting for root error and nothing is copied over to the partition

Edited by dc297spec

okay guys figured it out my dvd rom was in slave mode switched it to master and all good able to install...I am amazed at how well it worked out. couple of questions... software updating are we okay with taking the upgrades? Also I used Pions ds3-ds4 1.2 update and was wondering my audio in vista works through the optical out but i have no sound in osx any is it because of the optical out? And final question for the night is it normal during reboot for the system to hang?

This forum is great their is a wealth of knowledge available here... I just wanted to say thanks to all of you that helped make this possible.

Edited by dc297spec

:thumbsup_anim:

Hello guys,

installed my system now with Dual Boot XP and OSX 10.4.8 reseed !

Also GForce 7600gs with NATIT and Sound with Patcher.

All function very well ! Quartz and 2D acceleration ... OK

Sound OK - USB OK - Gigabit OK -

Used this Manual for Dualboot .... the best i think ! Tested many !

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=6890

You can do all stuff with "eXtended Fdisk",

don`t need Fdisk ....

Download Hirens Boot Disk, it is ideal for us.

But i have one problem, i think you can give me a hint !

If i say shutdown in OSX the system shut down,

but if i say restart it don`t restart my pc only get black screen and nothing happens.

:)

Thanks for your work !

Great Forum ...

Walter

:)

Hello guys,

installed my system now with Dual Boot XP and OSX 10.4.8 reseed !

Also GForce 7600gs with NATIT and Sound with Patcher.

All function very well ! Quartz and 2D acceleration ... OK

Sound OK - USB OK - Gigabit OK -

Used this Manual for Dualboot .... the best i think ! Tested many !

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=6890

You can do all stuff with "eXtended Fdisk",

don`t need Fdisk ....

Download Hirens Boot Disk, it is ideal for us.

But i have one problem, i think you can give me a hint !

If i say shutdown in OSX the system shut down,

but if i say restart it don`t restart my pc only get black screen and nothing happens.

:2cents:

Thanks for your work !

Great Forum ...

Walter

I had the same problem... I updated the kernel using Prasys Live Update - go here

worked like a charm reboot now works and my system clock is working correctly.

hey has everybody seen the new jas osx release?

not gunna link it cause of forum rules but its on demoniod "JaS 10.4.8 for AMD & Intel SSe2 Or SSe3 Install DVD" (it was uploaded by jas)

and there is something in bold that would intrest ds3/ds4/dq6 users

]JaS 10.4.8 for AMD & Intel SSe2 Or SSe3 W/ Semthex's 8.8.1 kernel

This is will install on amd and intel cpu's with SSe2 or SSe3

Both the AMD and Intel sides of the install have been slipstreamed to be up to date on security updates, itunes & QuickTime as of today.

GMA900 kext loading errors are fixed

GMA950 Working

Nforce3 Pata/Sata working

Via Pata/Sata working

Intel Pata/Sata working

jMicron ICH8 working

Titan for ATI and Nvidia cards is included

Ac97 sound working for any Ac97 sound device that was working before

SoundBlaster 128 PCI card is working also with Ac97 kext

And a whole bunch of other support is added in also.

I have included the same HDA patches as before.

Hi Guys,

the reboot problem is with other problems fixed with this Auto Kernel Updater Script !

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33039

Worked like a charm !

System ist running perfect now ! All is nearly perfect, but one problem !

I have installed one IDE to Sata converter to a IDE Harddrive (Samsung) NTFS formatted .....

Windows XP shows this drive, but not OSX, don`t know why ........ Any Help ?

Thanks for your help !

Greetings

Walter

i just used the newer release of jas osx 10.4.8 that i mentioned earlier to install on my dq6 (see specs in sig) and it works perfectly i used the options in the installer and i have full qe and ci! no need for ide to sata converters no need for fixes to get ide to work after osx is installed everything works except for on board sound all that is need is to use pirons installer to use it but im not sure about Ethernet ill check that out later... but good news for us gigabyte motherboard users alot easier to install things now

Edited by eggie

I'm a happy user of the OSX86 on a DS4 board, but I've got a very annoying problem. The system time seems to run faster than normal. While watching the clock it looks like 1 minute passes, but in real time it only took 40-45 seconds. :) When the system synchronizes with Apple's timeserver, the time jumps back. Has anyone had the same problem? Please help, I feel I'm getting older too fast...

hey has everybody seen the new jas osx release?

not gunna link it cause of forum rules but its on demoniod "JaS 10.4.8 for AMD & Intel SSe2 Or SSe3 Install DVD" (it was uploaded by jas)

and there is something in bold that would intrest ds3/ds4/dq6 users

I`m already using it.

It instals perfectly without any gadgets (using IDE DVD).

Warning: there are a few bugs with most network cards.

Download or print your network setup before installing it.

I've noticed a performance improvement in HDD. getting 48 in x-bench test in a samsumg 7200 sata2 and that fsb stuff appears to be ok now.

Guys,

I have 02 network cards in my computer, but OSX only detects 01.

What can I do?

01 card is for internet. The other one is to connect to my other PC. Internet works fine, but I cannot share it or share files.

Thanks!

Has anyone had issues with this board and Pioneer DVR-111D. I purchased a sata/ide converter and i can get it to detect the drive. I have tested it on a friends pc and it works.

Any suggestions?

Thanx

Has anyone had issues with this board and Pioneer DVR-111D. I purchased a sata/ide converter and i can get it to detect the drive. I have tested it on a friends pc and it works.

Any suggestions?

Thanx

at this stage you no longer need an sata/ide adapter. you can connect the dvd rom directly to the jmicron ide if you have the jmicron patch installed. I sugesst that you read the threads backwards since many problems were solved since the tread started this way you can get to the latest solutions first and avoid taking steps that are no longer necessary.

Any suggestions?

Thanx

Pioneer drives don't seem to like the SATA converters. The worst compatibility with my converter was using a pioneer drive.

is it possible to use the spdif optical output with 965p-s3/ds3 on mac os x (10.4.8)?

my pc is connected to a av receiver by a optical cable, and works very nice on windows.. i like to use it on mac os x too, but here has no sound

Edited by Thiago

I just downloaded the latest JAS and your right i dont need the converter any more woo hoo.

Thanx for the advise guys.

Now for my next noob question.

I can't find my HDD, i have a western digital HDD connected to orange sata port which is set to master (DVD is all so set to master. I dont know if this will affect it).

I used disk part utility in windows to create a new partition which comes up as an unkown partition (my windows partition is set as ntfs).

Can someone point me in the direction of a really really simple instruction to get my HDD to work in mac.

thanx for putting up wit my noob questions.

Guys,

965P-DS3/S3 now support AHCI and NCQ!

just update BIOS to F8(S3)/F10(DS3), in CMOS setup, set AHCI enable and native mode enable.

WindowsXP use intel matrix driver (modified .inf to DEV_2824)

OSX use AppleAHCIPort.kext(modified Info.plist to 0x28248086)

post-26976-1169368261_thumb.gif

post-26976-1169368333_thumb.jpg

Edited by stiffy

Just a quick report on the Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2.

After a lot of trouble I managed to install JaS 10.4.8 on this board. With more trouble tweaking things, everything works. Sound, IDE, FireWire, USB, PS2. Well, no acceleration on the onboard X3000 graphics but I have this perfectly working 6800XT anyway.

The board is very similar to the DS3. Actually so similar that thedguy and this thread could solve most of the post install issues. I'll make a nice step-to-step guide later on.

Oh, and with JaS 10.4.8 the SATA disks work very fast on the orange ports with SATA native mode enabled and all legacy stuff disabled. Have a Samsung and Western Digital harddisk installed, no problems. I did install the ICH8 drivers on the JaS release, perhaps that made a difference.

The 10.4.7 install dvd and installation would give a "still waiting for root device" error, so I guess nothing below 10.4.8 will work on this board. The IDE doesn't work without a fix, so you'll need either a SATA DVD drive or to write the image to the harddisk for an install from the HD.

hey there. care to elaborate what initial problems you had with this board? I intend on using "JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3" with "JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p ppf" patch. I am closing-in on getting this board before I buy. I am having a rough time with my present board (see sig) as OSX consistently crashes on desktop boot. I need to know what works and what doesn't on this board.

Thank you in advanced!!! :thumbsup_anim: I love this forum!

Hi Folks :worried_anim: , first post on the forum ! i was doing some compatibility research in order to see if OSx86 can run on my PC !

When i first saw the x86 Wiki , i was very enthousiast everithings looks perfect !

here's my system and the compatibility i found

- Cpu : core 2 duo > OK with JAS 10.4.8 + last Semthex kernel

- Mobo : 965P - DS3 > OK with JAS 10.4.8 + JMB + Pions package

- CG : 7900 GS > OK with JAS 10.4.8 + Titan or Natit drivers

- Audio : AC97 > Ok with the realtek driver

- Lan : Yukon > Ok with foredeth driver

- DVD : Pionneer IDE DVR series > Ok by default

- HDD : Seagate IDE 120go > No informations ...

Yeaar ! piece of cake ! that's what i thought at the begenning ... But i try to read all the topics related to my hardware ! and i fall on this very informative topics !

It looks that most people here are good coders from the linux world ! And i'm afraid after reading the 24 pages that install OSx 86 is now impossible for me . In facts i have an IDE HDD and it looks that there is no way to solve this pb ! Can anybody confirm this information ?

My motivation for running osX is to work with high end graphics appli like Shake and Maya !

- so i'm not here to try to port os X for the challenge

- i need a reliable system with a Max of 3D Perf and CPU + Ram optimisation !

- i know basic unix coding but i'm not a computer moguls

So here is my second question : Does OSX 86 suited my needs ? Shake and Maya also runs on Linux , maybe it's a better OS choice for me ? Does Mac OS X use on pc is only reserved for those who Rocks at solving computers problems, who are entertained by the challenge of trying to break apple limitations ?

Thanks for reading me !

Sorry for this wordy post in a pretty bad english !

Best regards :hysterical:

S.K

Edited by SebKaine