Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

mjaleo, the reason your plist looks different from the one you are trying to make it look like is because the text is too wide for the terminal window you are editing in and the editor has appended a $ to indicate that there is more to the line that you can't see. if you make the terminal window wider, you will see the rest of the line and it will probably look just like the one in the example except for red part which was the edit. you can actually just copy that red text right out of this thread and paste it into your plist.

if you have no idea at all what you are doing with these plist edits, i wrote a post on a related topic HERE that talks about it a little.

btw, as i mentioned in your other thread, i abandoned the GA-965P-DS3 for an asus P5B Deluxe. so far, i think i am liking the asus board better. i still had to jump through hoops to get the disks working, but they are now and overall the system seems more stable.

I'm worried about changing this. Mine looks so different...

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x528810B9 0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x0$

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

</dict>

What do I change here, and I'm not understanding HOW I change it... What is the keystroke for changing it? We're a bit over my head ;)

Run terminal

Enter "sudo -s" (without quotes)

Enter your password when asked.

Enter "cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents" (without quotes)

Enter "nano Info.plist" (without quotes - nano is the terminal based text editor, aka pico)

Search (Ctrl+w) for "IOPCI" (without quotes)

On the following line insert 0x05711106 at the front of the list of numbers.

Press Ctrl+X to exit & save.

Enter "diskutil repairpermissions /" (without quotes)

Reboot and if you're lucky it'll work.

I installed jas 10.4.9 uphuck 1.2.. but I cannot make my ethernet work! I have iofamilynetwork.kext but I cannot find appleyukon.kext.. (I have a gigabyte ds3). what can I do??

The Yukon kext is inside the IOFamily kext.

To get to it:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents

Then edit the Info.plist in that directory to change the numbers.

can someone please help me.. ill list everthing i did

i have the d3 s3 with f8 bios

ahci disabled(first option on bios menu)

0-3 mode disabled

and sata diviced in ide mode

i have a ide dvd burnder drive and a sata hd (installed in orage slot #1 'top')

i got everything installed fine, and it booted into osx. but the wierd thing is it will only boot with osx install dvd in the drive, and i let it boot to cd/dvd and dont hit any keys and after it times out itll boot into osx. if i take the dvd out it just hangs after the computer bios does its normal thing when you turn system on.

my xbench scores for hd are 4.5 which basically means i cant use this system.

i tried plugging into the purple port and turning ahci mode on and 0-3 to native (which disabled my ide dvd rom)

and after restart and bios does its thing i get a missing com/apple/bl bla.plist error and thats all it does. i have also applied the jmicron kext patch after to see if itd help and it doesnt.

i tried playing with all settings and i can only get it to boot with the settings i listed up top (with install dvd in and timing out).

whats going on here?

i see others having a prob booting to the purple sata ports but i havent seen 1 person yet who has to use the install dvd as a boot disk. this is a work system i built and i really need it to work. ps im not dual booting and that might be why everyone else can boot up? i have no mbr cause i have no windows installed.

can someone please help me.. ill list everthing i did

i have the d3 s3 with f8 bios

ahci disabled(first option on bios menu)

0-3 mode disabled

and sata diviced in ide mode

The 2nd SATA (Purple/JMicron) is supposed to be in AHCI mode IIRC. Once the install is done the drives should work fine on the yellow (Intel ICH8) SATA connectors with the first SATA set to AHCI mode. (Mine does anyway, and I get an Xbench score of roughly 60).

it wont boot anything on the orange sata plugs? is my mobo damaged? somehow i got it to boot to osx before by leaving the dvd in but now i reiinstalled and it wont boot. i also just successfully installed win xp on a diff hd plugging it into the orange #1 port and after reboot it just hangs with a blinking cursor. im starting to think this is a mobo bios issue now.

cant get anything to boot on the purple sata.. i have xp hard drive in orange #1 and osx hd in #2 and i got the chain0 and bootini setup and i still cannot boot into osx. it says chain booting error, if i switch the hds so osx in the master in sata #1 it just hangs at a blinking cursor. this is the 3rd time ive reinstalled osx and they all install fine, and then i can not get them to boot.

xp boots fine. whats the deal.

Am I the only one who is having problems?

Installation went fine. I have vista and OS X dualbooting no problem.

Audio doesn't work. I tried all three packages conroe mac suggested.

LAN doesn't work period. Works fine in windows.

I even tried the gigabyte ds3 packages and still nothing.

Also when I install these packages OS X only comes up on half the screen and the mouse pointer doesnt show. I reboot and it's back to normal

specs:

Gigabyte DS3 gen 2.0

E4300 processor

7800 GTX video card

2 gb g.skill ram

can anybody help me?

how do I have to set my bios before installing 10.4.9 uphuck 1.3? sata native? mode?

and after installing? thanks

No matter. I'd install 10.4.6 with Onboard SATA AHCI Mode.

Seagate 200Gb SATA plugged in up purple port. And USB DVD.

Am I the only one who is having problems?

Installation went fine. I have vista and OS X dualbooting no problem.

Audio doesn't work. I tried all three packages conroe mac suggested.

LAN doesn't work period. Works fine in windows.

I even tried the gigabyte ds3 packages and still nothing.

Also when I install these packages OS X only comes up on half the screen and the mouse pointer doesnt show. I reboot and it's back to normal

specs:

Gigabyte DS3 gen 2.0

E4300 processor

7800 GTX video card

2 gb g.skill ram

can anybody help me?

for some reason on 1 install i couldnt get the lan to work and i did everything right. it had no rhyme or reason. i had it working the 1st 2 installs and the 3rd time it didnt work.

this is what i did to get it fully working. install. then update to 10.4.9 to get usb working right.

then i mod my lan and download the audio pack here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520

just so you know the 888 pack worked for me and most others with the s3 board said it didnt work for them. so it might have to do with me running 10.4.9 i dunno but the 883 didnt work on 4.8 or 4.9

everything works now.

Hello to everybody.... I need help, y was just great when I download the Marklar-Tiger and when I just did it I try to install OS X x86 but I can´t. The bios start with Darwin and then appears the apple and with a circle down after some minutes over de apple icon appears a NO apple, So please I need help I want to install OS X on my Pc.

My Pc has:

Gygabyte GA-965 P-DS3 Ver. 3

Intel Core DuoE6420 LGA 775 2.13 Ghz 4Mb L2 Cache 1066 Mhz FSB

2Gb Ram memory

320 Gb SATA 7200rpm Barracuda

80 Gb external USB

Atí Readon X1650 512Mb

Audigy 2 Value

Pionner DVD reader IDE

Pionner DVD-RW DL IDE

17" flat monitor LG

So please hope somebody can help me and tell me what do i have to do to instal OS X x86

Hello all,

I have 10.4.9 with the SSE3-2, ICH8-R, speedstep, etc. running well on the following rig, with a few exceptions:

GA-965P-DS3 v2

4GB Ram

7600 GT

Westinghouse LVM3 37" monitor 1920x1200

On board Sata

On board audio

On board ethernet

The CoreDuoTemp application says I run in the high 50s on idle with a speed rating of between 1.0GHZ and 1.5GHZ is this normal? Is there a way of telling whether I'm using both cores?

On another note, I'm having trouble installing iLife. I have the same setup on a thinkpad x60 and iLife install without a problem. On the Gigabyte setup it crashes during the install of iDVD, everytime, without fail.

I've been having a really weird issue with 2 of my SATA drives (non-boot) sometimes not appearing once booted into OS X (1 in every 2 boots will see them disappear) with my new Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (Rev 3.3). I don't suppose anyone else has encountered this problem?

I'm running 3 SATA hard drives (Western Digital Raptor 10000rpm, a Seagate and a Hitachi) along with 1 SATA DVD writer. I'm running Uphuck's 1.3 release with the ICHR8 & JMB drivers. When using them while they work (assuming they've appeared at startup) they work fine at the sort of SATA speeds you'd expect.

I'm completely baffled as to what's possibly wrong. Anyone care to shed any light on this?

Man after 4 days and over 20 times of installing vista n os x 10.4.9 JAS, i finally got it to dual boot. But am making use of the Darwin bootloader as i can't seem to get my Vista's one to work right.

BTW, do i need drivers for my external harddisk drive? Doesn't seem to mount, but all my memory cards mount.

Also i can't seem to write into the mounted Vista partition. Can that be solved?

Thanks

I bought Gigabyte 965P DS3P rev 3.3 (P stands for Firewire onboard)

I'm runing Jas 10.4.8 + 10.4.9 update + gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2

System is working nice, but I have some questions:

1. Sound... I used Pion's patch from gigabyte ds3-4 pack and got only Stereo out, nothing more, no mic, no input, no digital...

(just solved sound problem with ALC888Audio.pkg http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520, I used 3ports + digital option when instaling. Got Line IN/OUT, MIC IN, DIGITAL IN/OUT)

2. Sleep... When setting bios to "S1", resuming from sleep is working but S1 doesn't shut down power fan and CPU fan :)

"S3" shuts down everything nicely, but after resuming from sleep USB keyboard and mouse must be re-plugged to use them again :P

3. Benchmark... can anyone post XBench 1.3 scores ? I'm interested what's good what's not. THX!

THX!

hello all.. i'm debating using either a ds3 or ds4 for a hackintosh build with an e6420, or else just building a windows box around an evga 680i and e6450 (when they come out in 2 weeks) and buying a macbook pro in addition. Building the hackintosh would definitely be cheaper, but the second option would give me a very powerful windows pc, and a real mac...

so, to keep this on topic:

what issues still exist with the ds3/4 series, and does the opening post in this thread cover all issues and stipulations? and, exactly how hard is it to update from 4.8 to 4.9 (and 4.10 in the future)?

Hello to everybody.... I need help, y was just great when I download the Marklar-Tiger and when I just did it I try to install OS X x86 but I can´t. The bios start with Darwin and then appears the apple and with a circle down after some minutes over de apple icon appears a NO apple, So please I need help I want to install OS X on my Pc.

My Pc has:

Gygabyte GA-965 P-DS3 Ver. 3

Intel Core DuoE6420 LGA 775 2.13 Ghz 4Mb L2 Cache 1066 Mhz FSB

2Gb Ram memory

320 Gb SATA 7200rpm Barracuda

80 Gb external USB

Atí Readon X1650 512Mb

Audigy 2 Value

Pionner DVD reader IDE

Pionner DVD-RW DL IDE

17" flat monitor LG

So please hope somebody can help me and tell me what do i have to do to instal OS X x86

Read carefully instructions in [How-to...]: you can't install OS X from DVD IDE. You need SATA or USB DVD

how hard is it to update from 4.8 to 4.9 (and 4.10 in the future)?

No new problem. The same procedure as from 10.4.6 to 10.4.8.

I install MacOSXUpd10.4.9Intel.dmg and replace {mach_kernel, AppleSMBIOS.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, loginwindow.app} That's all for working system. Video works with natit.kext same as for 10.4.8.

Moreover there is new feature "rotate display" appear after the update. Sound disappeared but easily restored from the same ALC883.mpkg (6 ports). All are works!

Read carefully instructions in [How-to...]: you can't install OS X from DVD IDE. You need SATA or USB DVD

Hello all fellow DS3 users,

My experience with this board seems contrary to most of the users here. While most of the ppl here mentioned NOT to use IDE port but SATA, I got total opposite result.

First, my only successful installation for 10.4.9 was using Uphuck 1.3 by the IDE port with an IDE DVD & IDE HDD. Installation options included SSE3, ICH8, Azilla Audio, Jcool ATI... everthings work, CI, QE, Audio, USB, USB Cam, restart... except the on-board network.

But note, if I plug in any SATA device, OSX refused to boot! If I remove the IDE DVD, OSX refused to boot. Which means to get OSX running on my system, The 2 IDE deveice must be plugged in & NO sata connected.

Second, for SATA DVD & HDD, I've tried what others suggested here b4, no AHCI, disable sata 0-3 native mode, IDE/AHCI mode for purple port.... & plugging the DVD & IDE in different combinations of orange & purple port. No luck, can't even get to the grey screen during installation & stayed in "still waiting for boot device"

However, if I plug my sata HDD to port 0, sata HDD to port 1, & enabled AHCI & sata native mode for the orange ports, the installation runs smoothly!! The only problem is, OSX won't boot after installation, just hang on right after the post screen with a blinking cursor, not even a single msg. BTW, the purple ports never work for me.

Third, If I use my good old 10.4.6 installation DVD, IDE or SATA, nevermind which I use, no problem at all! I can install & run 10.4.6 either by installing frm IDE or sata DVD & OSX runs without a problem, again, either it's running on an IDE or sata HDD(orange & purple port). But in 10.4.6, I can't solve my display & network problems frm any patches I could find on the Net.

Anyone here got the same experience like me?? U know how to solve my sata not working problem?? I really hate to plug-in the sata when I need to use Vista. & then un-plug all sata to get into OSX... I want sata only in my system!!!

My systems:

GA 965P-DS3 rev 3.3 F12 bios

C2D 6320@3Ghz

2GB Super Talent 4CL 800 DDR2 ram

Cooler Master Hyper TX2 HSF

GTR 500W silence PWS

ATI X1950XT 256MB ram

Seagate 320GB sata HDD (where vista installed)

Seagate 160GB sata HDD (where I tried to install 10.4.9 without success)

Seagate 80GB IDE HDD (where my OSX 10.4.9 now resides)

Pioneer 212 sata DVD Burner

Pioneer 108 IDE DVD Burner