[Guide] Lion on GA-EP45-UD3R - very close to perfection

Squirrelf

304 posts in this topic

As usual I waited a while before doing the 10.7.2 update. And at this time I think it's even easier to upgrade (if you haven't already done the update).

But I should say that I'm only interested is basic sound, so please only follow these instructions if you too are okay with just sound out of the regular Line Out (Green) jack.

Okay, so all I did was the following:

1. MAKE A BACKUP!!! I may sound like a broken record since I say this almost every time, but I highly recommend using two hard drives in a hackintosh. Use one as your stable system drive and the other as your update test drive. I use SuperDuper to make a fully bootable backup (although you must reinstall Chameleon on the new backup for it to truly be a standalone bootable drive).

So, anyway go ahead and do your backup (which for my large drives can take up to 3 hours).

2. Install Chameleon on the newly created backup drive (any installation means is fine. I used the most current Chameleon v1684 and installed via Chameleon Wizard).

3. Test the new drive (I absolutely make sure it's 100% standalone bootable by removing the old drive, or at least uplugging the sata cable, and then only booting up with the new copy drive).

4. Run Software Update to install 10.7.2

5. Rerun the original sound fix from Eliade's pack (from the first post). Basically it's just copying over the three files (ALC885_889a.kext, layout885.xml, and Platforms.xml)

And basically that was it.

I have the GA-EP45T-UD3RL. Sound was working in 10.7. I followed the above instructions to update to 10.7.2, and everything works except for sound. I have tried the original sound fix, plus the trifecta fix offered for my board. Neither has got the sound working again... any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

I have the GA-EP45T-UD3RL. Sound was working in 10.7. I followed the above instructions to update to 10.7.2, and everything works except for sound. I have tried the original sound fix, plus the trifecta fix offered for my board. Neither has got the sound working again... any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Do you have an AppleHDA.kext in your Extra folder? The one I use is from Eliade's original (again on the first post).

Thanks!

If you replace your AppleHDA.kext (in S/L/E) with the one you find in this post, then add the LegacyHDA.kext file(s) that worked for Snow Leopard back into E/E and make sure and run Kext Utility to clean up afterwards, you should get full sound working in Lion 10.7.2. Working for me.

PS: THIS IS ASSUMING YOU ARE WORKING WITH A VIRGIN, UNTOUCHED INSTALL. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN MONKEYING WITH YOUR KEXTS, YMMV!

Fresh install on Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R via an 8 Gb USB memory stick, and using latest Lion 10.7.2.dmg and latest Kakewalk 4.1.1. Installation seems OK (boots to desktop), except that the Realtek 8139 PCI NIC, which before always worked "natively" in Leopard and Snow Leopard, is now not recognized.

I'll experiment with installing drivers later. Was the Realtek native driver not included with Lion, or was it removed from Kakewalk's setup for some reason? Note: I simply prefer using an add-on NIC card, instead of using the motherboard NIC

For the GA-EP45T-UD3RL, all it took was downloading the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and installing the voodooHDA 0.2.1 kext, running KextUtility, a quick reboot, and voila! Working sound!

For the GA-EP45T-UD3RL, all it took was downloading the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and installing the voodooHDA 0.2.1 kext, running KextUtility, a quick reboot, and voila! Working sound!

I tried that once but never got front headphones working. Only rear green out.

Fresh install on Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R via an 8 Gb USB memory stick, and using latest Lion 10.7.2.dmg and latest Kakewalk 4.1.1. Installation seems OK (boots to desktop), except that the Realtek 8139 PCI NIC, which before always worked "natively" in Leopard and Snow Leopard, is now not recognized.

I'll experiment with installing drivers later. Was the Realtek native driver not included with Lion, or was it removed from Kakewalk's setup for some reason? Note: I simply prefer using an add-on NIC card, instead of using the motherboard NIC

Try downloading one of the extra packages from the first post of this thread and use the RealtekR1000SL.kext file you will find there to your Extensions folder inside of Extra on the root drive (in E/E) and clean up afterwards. Reboot, your sound should be recognized.

I am currently trying to understand the differences in that old kext and the newer ones to see if we can patch the native one alone and reduce the extra kexts in /Extra/Extensions. If anyone has any insight, please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm just discovering your forum and I want to thanks you for this.

I have followed this guide but I have an issue.

After booting to the USB key, I select Mac OS in order to install it.

I get a grey screen with the Apple and after less than 10sc, I get a black screen.

My monitor goes to sleep mode and the keyboard doesn't responding.

I checked bios parameters but they're good.

Did you have already encounter this issue ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

N.B:

For informations, the following is my config

GA-EP45-UDR3

6Go RAM

3To HDD (1x2To and 2x500Go)

Radeon HD4850 1Go

Additional Information:

PC doesn't freeze.

But I've to wait around 1 hour before go out this stange "sleeping mode".

This morning, I finished the step 3 and like requested in "step 3 - Reboot and enjoy", I rebooted my computer.

And I win a 1 hour "sleeping mode".

I 'm not sure it's a normal behavior ;)

Please, someone can help me ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did something change from the 10.7 install onto a USB stick in the first post? I tried using 10.7.2 instead and the installer crashes when Im trying to install from the stick onto my main drive. Had to use Kakewalk. ARGH!

Yes you'll need a newer boot file if you install a 10.7.2 version of the installer (wait for root device error otherwise...), with 10.7.3 out I'll updates all the files on the first post, sorry got busy and didn't update first post since 10.7.1.

A month ago I decided to reinstall with a fresh fresh lion and user account (had stuff and preferences from snow leo), and updated my HD 160GB didn't cut it for me anymore, so now have a 500Gb for my main HD, and while at it I looked for better files, at least for 10.7.2, everything should work for 10.7.3 as stated above by alienbiker99.

about to reboot to install 10.7.3...

10.7.3 calls for a refined extra folder (old one should still work though), and little updates on the guide (the bonjour fix is optional and part of the troubleshooting section, seems to works fine without it)

download link to a newer chameleon 2.1 1770 (maybe not the latest but rather recent and definitely stable for me)

Wake on Lan from sleep now works perfectly well (thanks to new chameleon, download on first post, and thanks to a new boot.plist option called darkwake, so update it as well, part of the updated extra folder).

-Software update to 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 needs a newer boot before the update if updating from 10.7.1 or 10.7.0 with older boot file posted previously (New boot files available first post), AppleHDA may need to be re-replaced in S/L/E.

-Software update to 10.7.3 from 10.7.2 Should be a simple strait forward update (AppleHDA may need to be re-replaced in S/L/E).

a side note:

I had a few crashes after installing too many font in 10.7.2 (fontd process was responsible for the crash), but seems like it was a OSX problem and not related to osx86 machines. hopefully 10.7.3 will solve that.

besides that my machine is rock solid (I removed most fonts I added to get my stability back)

another side note:

I gave up on IDE drive, in 10.7.2, it would unmount after sleep, besides that it worked fine, I had one for my time machine (I actually kept it, just converted it to a sata with a little IDE to SATA converter)

building agetting a repo of the newest files just incase i need to do a reinstall at some point. are you sure the new "boot" file is on the first post, I can't seem to find it, other than in your zip on page 9

He means the new Chameleon installer. Its newer than the one that was there.

Anyone successfull with building an installation USB-Stick with new image 10.7.3 ?

Seems that the MBR Patch does'nt work.

I'm still using 10.7.0 and updating after in case of full os reinstall, not efficient I guess but it works and trouble less.

Anyway in your case you should reformat your USB stick to GUID and your problem should be solved (unless that OSinstall I posted work for 10.7.0 only) I use a USB HD for my install with GUID and works well for me.

If you want to stay with MBR, then try that one (have not tried it just found it on google)

MBR patch for 10.7.3:

10.7.3 MBR Patch.zip

Let me know if it works for you and I'll add it to the first post...

I'm still using 10.7.0 and updating after in case of full os reinstall, not efficient I guess but it works and trouble less.

Anyway in your case you should reformat your USB stick to GUID and your problem should be solved (unless that OSinstall I posted work for 10.7.0 only) I use a USB HD for my install with GUID and works well for me.

If you want to stay with MBR, then try that one (have not tried it just found it on google)

MBR patch for 10.7.3:

10.7.3 MBR Patch.zip

Let me know if it works for you and I'll add it to the first post...

Now it works like a charm with this MBR Patch

Thank you very much

• Like 1

I'm having issues updating to 10.7.3 from 10.7.0. I've tried it a few times doing it different ways and get the same result.

After update, restart, and eventually get a circle with a line through it over the gray screen with the chromed Apple logo.

Everytime I've used the combo update from Apple that you can download. I've tried with older and and new cameleon, but I don't think that's the problem. I've tried with my working 10.7.0 Extra folder and the lastest on attached to the first post of this thread.

Any ideas what could be holding me up. Thanks!

WOW! Geekbench scores went WAY down after that update.

My Geekbench scores are nearly identical to a run I did when my machine was still running 10.6.5 14 months ago.

I'm having issues updating to 10.7.3 from 10.7.0. I've tried it a few times doing it different ways and get the same result.

Sure it's not a permissions discrepancy on the HDDs end? Did you boot from a USB drive with chameleon?