[Guide] Lion on GA-EP45-UD3R - very close to perfection

Squirrelf

304 posts in this topic

bigpoppa206 thanks so much.

But for those who just want basic sound back after the 10.7.1, you can just follow the exact same directions you have for the original install of 10.7.

Except on my particular board, I ONLY had speaker output from the green port in the back and nothing else was working. My method listed above works for 10.7 and 10.7.1.

Hi,

First of all, sorry for my english...

Many Thanks for this great guide !

I've a kernel panic, the reboot after the installation:

"No HPETS available... CPU configured incorrectly"

It seems, I have a problem with CMOS/BIOS... because when I go back in it, it was not what I saved:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode ---> IDE

- Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode ---> IDE

- keyboard USB Support ---> Disabled (or keyboard may not work in chameleon screen)

- HPET ---> 32bit

I don't have this problem with windows 7, so it's really relative to Lion.

I saw this guide was supposed to solve this issue : "Reboot & Shutdown (without cmos reset)"

But not seems to work for me:

my Config:

GIGABYTE EP45-UD3 (so not Raid)

Intel P45 (Eaglelake-P) + ICH10 Consumer

Bios Version F8

4096 MB DDR2-SDRAM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400

Sapphire RADEON HD 5770

Any idea on how to fix that ?

I'd start with updating the BIOS, just to make sure that's not an issue.

Yes, it solved my problem, many thanks...

Now I'm trying to fix sound... without any success.

And that's strange, despite what I read about PCI card Wifi WMP54GS, Lion didn't recognize it. Unfortunatly my computer is too far from my ethernet box...

Hello Guys!

Is someone here using the F12 Bios AND able to put the machine in sleep and wake properly?

Is S3 the right state, or am I supposed to use S1?

Check and check. I'm on F12, and manual sleep (S3) works fine.

Edit: Nevermind, it turns out my Motherboard has a defect.

I can't get sound to work, I followed the instructions from Sound_and_Bonjour.zip and tried everything mentioned in these posts, nothing works.

System Prefs let's me choose the output device, and I tried every Line Out on the Motherboard, but no sound comes out of the speakers...

Does anybody have this same setup? Could you please post your DSDT.aml and the kexts from /E and /S/L/E that got it working for you?

EP45-UD3R rev 1.1 F12 - Audio ID 885 in System Profile. New installation using the Minimum Extra folder.

I've just been stepping through this guide this evening and have pretty much succeeded to get into Lion ok.

My graphics card (Geforce 9400GT) didn't work properly out of the box, but the NVEnabler mentioned in here worked.

My sound just wouldn't work at all, so I followed the advice of bigpoppa206 and thankfully this worked after using my old Snow leopard ext with the new AppleHDA, removing all the hacks initially mentioned in the first post.

Next I just couldn't get OSX to auto boot, always needing to press enter in Chameleon. A bit of reading and it seems that boot.plist is no longer the one to use rather you should use this one

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

instead.. I copied my boot.plist into that file and finally the timeout started to work. I think this should be updated or mentioned in the first post!?

All i have left now is that wake on lan just doesn't work, from sleep or from shutdown. The same hardware used to work with WOL in Leopard, but got broke in Snow Leopard, and remains broke in Lion. I'd love to hear any suggestions on improving this.

Also for me, waking from sleep is a little flacky, after waking my bluetooth trackpad just refuses to work.

All in all though, this guide got my 95% of the way there, so thanks so much!!!

Oh, and I didn't have to enable the network, nor install bonjour, so i assume this was already setup in the files i used. Perhaps the first post could be updated if the files have changed significantly since it was written?

Patched to 10.7.1, sound broke. Recopied the AppleHDA.kext back into /S/L/E, rebuilt the cache with Kext Utility, rebooted and it seems to be working again.. presumably the 10.7.1 patch must have poked something into that package (it's date hadn't changed so it presumably hadn't been totally replaced).

Just noticed that the ethernet setup to auto was causing it to sync at 100mb, changing it to manual and specifying gigabit seemed to work and restore nice and fast speeds. I always have problems with the network throughput of this machine so will see how this stays over time.

I am a noob when it comes to this but i got it installer using the instructions. I basically have the same motherboard. the only problem is I cannot get the 9800gtx+ to work. Does anyone know how I can get this card working with lion? it would be appreciated .

I have a GA-EP45C-DS3R with Mac OSX Snow Leo Installed. I did of the steps of the tutorial for creating the USB, after I boot from it and i try to install Lion, the disk utility doesn't recognized my Hard Drive. It only recognizes my USB with Lion on it. What am I doing wrong?

Hi guys, hoping someone here can help me out, I'm having two problems which just won't leave me alone.

1. Sound doesn't work. Following this guide exactly and I just can't get it working. I have exactly the same motherboard used for this guide but the best I can get is having the devices listed (digital out, line in, line in, line out) but no sound coming out. Most of the time with my fiddling I just don't get anything listed.

2. Sometimes when I start my computer (but every time over the last few reboots) when I start up the computer I have no wifi and the mouse and keyboard won't work. The keyboard does nothing, the mouse will move around but I can't click on anything and the dock doesn't zoom when I hover over it. It works eventually and the dock starts hovering and I can click and stuff but the wifi still doesn't work. The wifi should work fine, it normally does, and it's an Apple Airport Extreme card. I've read of people having similar issues where they get an error message that says "Timeout waiting for IOKit to be quiet" but, assuming that comes in through a verbose boot screen, I'm not seeing that although I'm assuming for now that that is my issue but I don't see why no one else in this thread has the same problem.

I've gotten to the point now where I've fiddled that much a reinstall might be in order but I'd love it if someone could help me just get this working. Thanks.

*Edit*

Fiddling round with this I've just realised that my sound is working but it's coming out of the wrong port. Rather than coming out of the line out port it's coming out of the c/sub port. At least I don't think it's supposed to be doing that, normally I just go for the lime green one and it works.

Fiddling round with this I've just realised that my sound is working but it's coming out of the wrong port. Rather than coming out of the line out port it's coming out of the c/sub port. At least I don't think it's supposed to be doing that, normally I just go for the lime green one and it works.

A few posts back I answered this with a fix I found over here. Good luck.

Hello,

Thanks for the very detailed guide. I couldn't get the sound to work on 10.7.1 even after trying the updated AppleHDA.kext. Finally I got it to work by removing "IOAudioFamily.kext" and replacing it from the original Lion installation files. I guess Apple modified this file in the latest update.

Now the question is, is this going to cause any issue for 10.7.2? Is there any way to get the sound to work without removing the latest IOAudioFamily.kext file?

Thanks,

Now the question is, is this going to cause any issue for 10.7.2? Is there any way to get the sound to work without removing the latest IOAudioFamily.kext file?

Sound is frequently updated, so I suggest archiving those files someplace safe so that you can slide them back in if needed. I've had various hacks for the past 3 or 4 years and the sound software always seemed to be upgrade somehow on my Asus and Gigabyte motherboards.

Sound is frequently updated, so I suggest archiving those files someplace safe so that you can slide them back in if needed. I've had various hacks for the past 3 or 4 years and the sound software always seemed to be upgrade somehow on my Asus and Gigabyte motherboards.

It's actually pretty weird that no-one's made an installer automating this yet? Or am I mistaken?

Anyway, if not, then this was a pretty clear hint in that direction :)

I installed 10.7 on my EP45-UD3R last night and everything was fine. Updated to 10.7.1 and now I can't get audio working at all. I've tried all the different fixes in this thread but it just won't work.

Is there anything i'm missing to get this to work?

When I get home from work I might try to use Kakewalk using the below link.

HERE

I installed 10.7 on my EP45-UD3R last night and everything was fine. Updated to 10.7.1 and now I can't get audio working at all. I've tried all the different fixes in this thread but it just won't work.

Read a few posts back in this thread, already answered. PS, search is your friend! And don't use kakewalk, figure out what is messing up and fix it yourself. You will learn more about your machine and be able to fix it easier yourself as problems arise.

• 2 weeks later...
1758918[/url]']

10.7.2 already out. anyone had use it?

WARNING about 10.7.2

Just tried updating

A simple software update will lead to a "Still waiting for root device" during boot

So don't update yet until a solution is found

Some people probably tried beta version of 10.7.2 so the solution is probably already out there

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Have to get back to a working environment to try that

But you may just need a newer chameleon Version r14xx and above

Google for "chameleon wizard" should point you to insanely Mac topic

Download the app it allows you do download the latest releases of chameleon including r16xx which should work with 10.7.2

( thankfully I had a second hack ( unused, what a shame haha) , so I'll be able to revive my main hack with it )