P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

^Andy^

654 posts in this topic

Thanks Andy for the Sabertooth installation package. Everything is working fine so far except there is no sound from the onboard SPDIF(No problem with Win7). Tried changing the setting at Sound -> Line Out, Line Out, Digital Out but still no sound. Is there a way to fix it?

Still having trouble getting this working. What BIOS was used to create the Sabertooth DSDT?

Still trying to figure out how to enable HDMI audio too.. (sounds like it should always be enabled in the DSDT as that's what Apple does)

Regarding HDMI audio, Apple includes the code in their firmware, not in the operating system. Editing your dsdt for HDMI audio in OSX is well documented and mandatory. Once the dsdt is edited successfully, some graphics cards will make HDMI audio out of the box (i.e., several Sapphire HD 5xxx and HD 6xxx's). Other cards require kext editing for HDMi audio to work.

Love this board, I just wish a fix would come out for AC3 DD5.1 pass thru... This is my Theater Mac and the lack of 5.1 over optical sucks! Oddly enough I rolled it back to 10.6.7 and still only get stereo over the optical. I think this X86 is out to get me!

The problem is the 892. You can have encoded digital audio over optical with the 885/889a and the 889 (with an 885 bin patch). If you bin patch the 892 over the 885 in OSX, the system is unusable if it ever gets to the desktop. The only fix at the moment is not to do that bin patch. All audio functionality, except encoded digital audio over optical, is available on the 892 with a bin patch over the 262 and others. Another option is HDMI audio; the 6870 is good candidate.

1732530[/url]']

Regarding HDMI audio, Apple includes the code in their firmware, not in the operating system. Editing your dsdt for HDMI audio in OSX is well documented and mandatory. Once the dsdt is edited successfully, some graphics cards will make HDMI audio out of the box (i.e., several Sapphire HD 5xxx and HD 6xxx's). Other cards require kext editing for HDMi audio to work.

But how do I do that? I tried loading up a DSDT editing tool and couldn't find anything relating to that GFX0 stuff. (I'm new to all this, if you couldn't tell)

But how do I do that? I tried loading up a DSDT editing tool and couldn't find anything relating to that GFX0 stuff. (I'm new to all this, if you couldn't tell)

You won't find GFX0 because that is part of what you add to your dsdt but you will find "Device (PCI0)" which is the place to start. Try this: hdmi_audio_dsdt_edits

Hi all,

Had a fairly straightforward and easy installation, used the P8P67 Sabertooth Installer for appropriate kexts, edited NVidia Info.plist to get GTX570 working, and everything seems to be going well for the most part --- but alas, I have no sound.

Supposedly, the P8P67 Installer package should have gotten this working (Realtek 892 audio) but I've also tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.8 and various combinations of audio driver installs from that. If I boot with -v, I see a few lines that seem to indicate it's loading AHD extensions, but once I'm booted and go to System Preferences -> Sound, it takes forever to launch/freezes up for a bit, and when it finally does load, there are no output devices listed.

If anybody has any thoughts on how I might overcome this hurdle, I'd love some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

You won't find GFX0 because that is part of what you add to your dsdt but you will find "Device (PCI0)" which is the place to start. Try this: hdmi_audio_dsdt_edits
Thanks. This all seems way more complicated than I was expecting, and I've still not managed to get my GTX570 working correctly even without fixing the audio yet. It seems virtually any guide written for OSX86 stuff is written assuming you've been doing it all for a while and know what you're doing.

The problem seems to be that I still can't boot from the drive OS X is installed on (so it's not loading the DSDT or com.apple.boot.plist changes) I'm still having to load up the Lion install disk and selecting the boot drive from that loader to load OSX.

I get Boot0 MBR errors when trying to boot from it.

Any idea why that is? I thought MBR shouldn't even come into it, as I'm running an EFI system with GPT disks.

Hi all,

Had a fairly straightforward and easy installation, used the P8P67 Sabertooth Installer for appropriate kexts, edited NVidia Info.plist to get GTX570 working, and everything seems to be going well for the most part --- but alas, I have no sound.

Supposedly, the P8P67 Installer package should have gotten this working (Realtek 892 audio) but I've also tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.8 and various combinations of audio driver installs from that. If I boot with -v, I see a few lines that seem to indicate it's loading AHD extensions, but once I'm booted and go to System Preferences -> Sound, it takes forever to launch/freezes up for a bit, and when it finally does load, there are no output devices listed.

If anybody has any thoughts on how I might overcome this hurdle, I'd love some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I had the same problem. I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.8 with ALCxxHDA + ALC892 and SystemUtilities (Repair Permissions and renew KernelCache). In BIOS you have to disable PwrMngmt States C1 and C6, that was my solution.

Andy --

Having issues with this install for some reason; wondering if you have any suggestions.

I have a pretty rock solid 10.6.8 system with the following build basics:

ASUS P8P67 Pro

i7 2600K

5770 Batmobile

Vertex3

Following the steps above, I can boot into Lion no problem, but stuck at 1024x768 resolution, and "no kext loaded" indicated in the system info.

If I edit com.apple.Boot.plist to change to GraphicsEnabler=Yes, I get a permanent hang at the shiny apple, spinning icon screen. For hours. So far, I haven't been able to remedy the problem. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Anyone updated to 10.7.1 yet? If so how'd it go?

Gonna do that in a few minutes after my catalyst 11.8 beta drivers finish installing. Hopefully it will be fine as the various 10.7.2 builds haven't caused any problems so far. Will report back shortly (I hope).

Gonna do that in a few minutes after my catalyst 11.8 beta drivers finish installing. Hopefully it will be fine as the various 10.7.2 builds haven't caused any problems so far. Will report back shortly (I hope).

Ok it works but there are a few issues...

firstly if you use the 10.7 sleepenabler you need to delete the kext and the System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext and kernelcache files otherwise you will recieve a kernel panic on boot up.

Secondly - Audio (and this one is odd). To get your sound working again copy the ALC892HDA51B.kext, HDAEnabler892.kext and AppleHDA.kext to your desktop from the System\Library\Extensions folder BEFORE installing the update. After the update and a reboot delete the same files from System\Library\Extensions and delete the System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext and kernelcache files. Once thats done use kext utility and in this order reinstall the kexts that you copied to your desktop..

1) ALC892HDA51B.kext

2) HDAEnabler892.kext

3) AppleHDA.kext

Reboot and you should be good to go!

Ok it works but there are a few issues...

firstly if you use the 10.7 sleepenabler you need to delete the kext and the System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext and kernelcache files otherwise you will recieve a kernel panic on boot up.

Thanks Andy. SleepEnabler wasn't included in your install package right?

Hi all, some of you may already know me from the boot cd's and installation packages that I have built for the Asus P8P67 series of motherboards.

Today I would like to share my fairly idiot proof method of building a Lion installation and repair bootable usb stick for Asus P8P67Pro and P8P67 based systems now that lion has reached gold master.

You will need 4 things in order to build this usb stick successfully..

1 - A usb stick (or drive) large enough to contain the contents of the instal image (4 gig should do)

2 - A downloaded copy of the 'Install Mac OS X Lion.app',

3 - An Extra folder specifically for the Lion installer usb stick/drive http://www.mediafire.com/?bolj08pj5s4hcl0

4 - The installation package from the latest AndyBoot CD for either the P8P67Sabertooth, P8P67Pro or P8P67 available from the links below:-

P8P67Sabertooth http://www.mediafire.com/?uahydjc0koyyuvk

P8P67Pro http://www.mediafire.com/?ytr7cp3gh46ovka

P8P67 http://www.mediafire.com/?a1y7rgrxy3ems8c

1 - First step (pretty obvious) Boot into Snow Leopard,

2 - Use disk utility to format your USB stick or drive as mac os extended with GUID partition table,

3 - right click 'Install Mac OS X Lion.app' and select 'show contents',

4 - double click the 'Contents/SharedSupport' folder to open it in finder,

5 - Run ShowAllFiles (to show hidden files),

6 - right click the 'InstallESD.dmg' and select 'open with disk image mounter',

7 - right click on the hidden 'BaseSystem.dmg' and select 'open with disk utility',

8 - In disk utility look to the bottom left to find 'BaseSystem.dmg', right click it and select 'Restore',

9 - Drag your formatted USB stick or drive into the 'destination' box, untick 'erase destination' and click 'Restore',

10 - Go for a beer, coffee or whatever takes your fancy as this will take a while!

11 - Once restore is complete go to the system, installation folder on the usb stick or drive and delete the 'Packages' alias

12 - right click 'Install Mac OS X Lion.app' (from step 3) again and once again click 'show package contents'

13 - reopen the 'SharedSupport' folder

14 - Double click the 'InstallESD.dmg' to mount it

15 - Copy the 'Packages' folder from the 'MacOS X Install ESD' folder that should automatically open in finder over to the system, installation folder on your usb stick or drive to replace the alias that you deleted in step 9,

16 - run ShowAllFiles (to see hidden files) and copy the 'mach_kernel' from the 'MacOS X Install ESD' folder above to the root of your USB stick or drive,

17 - copy the Extra folder downloaded above to the root of the usb stick/drive,

18 - run the andyboot5 package relevant to your motherboard and select your usb stick or drive as the target,

19 - Congratulations your USB stick or drive should now be bootable and allow you to install lion!

20 - Don't forget after installing lion to run whichever andyboot5 package that you used on the usb stick again to install the contents onto your hard disk and make the system bootable!

Good Luck all :thumbsup_anim:

This is a great guide, i try it with my P8P67 LE and used P8P76 installation kit for the drivers.

I make sure now that this guide and the Package mentioned above working good with my system:

Asus P8P67 LE

4 GB 1333MHZ Memory

1- WD 250 GB HD

2- Hitachi 2TB HD

Nvidia 9600 GSO 768mb

After i installed Lion And before using any patch or package from Andy the Ethernet and video was working out of box, Thank you again the the guide and looking forward for more great guides from you

Can you provide a link to the sleepenabler kext that you have? I also want my lion to sleep every now and then :)

Update: Found the SleepEnabler.kext on Nawcom's website, and it works with 10.7.0

Question: Once 10.7.1 is installed, can I put back SleepEnabler?

Secondly - Audio (and this one is odd). To get your sound working again copy the ALC892HDA51B.kext, HDAEnabler892.kext and AppleHDA.kext to your desktop from the System\Library\Extensions folder BEFORE installing the update. After the update and a reboot delete the same files from System\Library\Extensions and delete the System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext and kernelcache files. Once thats done use kext utility and in this order reinstall the kexts that you copied to your desktop..

1) ALC892HDA51B.kext

2) HDAEnabler892.kext

3) AppleHDA.kext

Reboot and you should be good to go!

A question: do you have the front audio panel working on this motherboard? With my lion i can only get audio fron the back panel audio, the front are not working ;)

last, a curiosity: on the P8P67, the Mac install is more or less Vanilla, right? as there are no modified kernel, just few extra driver (kexts).

thanks

Hi all, some of you may already know me from the boot cd's and installation packages that I have built for the Asus P8P67 series of motherboards.

Today I would like to share my fairly idiot proof method of building a Lion installation and repair bootable usb stick for Asus P8P67Pro and P8P67 based systems now that lion has reached gold master.

You will need 4 things in order to build this usb stick successfully..

1 - A usb stick (or drive) large enough to contain the contents of the instal image (4 gig should do)

2 - A downloaded copy of the 'Install Mac OS X Lion.app',

3 - An Extra folder specifically for the Lion installer usb stick/drive http://www.mediafire.com/?bolj08pj5s4hcl0

4 - The installation package from the latest AndyBoot CD for either the P8P67Sabertooth, P8P67Pro or P8P67 available from the links below:-

P8P67Sabertooth http://www.mediafire.com/?uahydjc0koyyuvk

P8P67Pro http://www.mediafire.com/?ytr7cp3gh46ovka

P8P67 http://www.mediafire.com/?a1y7rgrxy3ems8c

1 - First step (pretty obvious) Boot into Snow Leopard,

2 - Use disk utility to format your USB stick or drive as mac os extended with GUID partition table,

3 - right click 'Install Mac OS X Lion.app' and select 'show contents',

4 - double click the 'Contents/SharedSupport' folder to open it in finder,

5 - Run ShowAllFiles (to show hidden files),

6 - right click the 'InstallESD.dmg' and select 'open with disk image mounter',

7 - right click on the hidden 'BaseSystem.dmg' and select 'open with disk utility',

8 - In disk utility look to the bottom left to find 'BaseSystem.dmg', right click it and select 'Restore',

9 - Drag your formatted USB stick or drive into the 'destination' box, untick 'erase destination' and click 'Restore',

10 - Go for a beer, coffee or whatever takes your fancy as this will take a while!

11 - Once restore is complete go to the system, installation folder on the usb stick or drive and delete the 'Packages' alias

12 - right click 'Install Mac OS X Lion.app' (from step 3) again and once again click 'show package contents'

13 - reopen the 'SharedSupport' folder

14 - Double click the 'InstallESD.dmg' to mount it

15 - Copy the 'Packages' folder from the 'MacOS X Install ESD' folder that should automatically open in finder over to the system, installation folder on your usb stick or drive to replace the alias that you deleted in step 9,

16 - run ShowAllFiles (to see hidden files) and copy the 'mach_kernel' from the 'MacOS X Install ESD' folder above to the root of your USB stick or drive,

17 - copy the Extra folder downloaded above to the root of the usb stick/drive,

18 - run the andyboot5 package relevant to your motherboard and select your usb stick or drive as the target,

19 - Congratulations your USB stick or drive should now be bootable and allow you to install lion!

20 - Don't forget after installing lion to run whichever andyboot5 package that you used on the usb stick again to install the contents onto your hard disk and make the system bootable!

Good Luck all :)

4GB wasn't enough for the Stick, :)

Have a 16 redoing it.

I installed it on a 8 GB SD card and works great as Andy said

the front Audio is working good

Yeah, didn't have an 8. I got it installed with Andy's guidance, but my video didn't survive. ;)

I'll ask here. I have the EVGA GTX 460 nothing I'm doing that worked in SL is working here. Is there an easy lesson on editing what I need to edit to make this work? I'm a bit lost as I thought Loin was more friendly to nVidia, not less. Right now I'm stuck at 1024x768 but from what I can gather the rest is working (audio needed a [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] rollback fix.)

Thanks for any help! Step by step please... ;-)

Hi Andy !

Today i test the skype app in my setup ( lion 10.7).. and the mic don't work... i have only " internal mic, line in and digital in " in input .. also when i connect the mic.

the only thing is, when i select internal mic i see a noise in the indicator whit or without the mic connected in the pink socket.

Is this normal or i have something wrong in my config ?

Pdt: i'm using your pack for my sabertooth ( this have the alc892 )

Yeah, didn't have an 8. I got it installed with Andy's guidance, but my video didn't survive. :P

I'll ask here. I have the EVGA GTX 460 nothing I'm doing that worked in SL is working here. Is there an easy lesson on editing what I need to edit to make this work? I'm a bit lost as I thought Loin was more friendly to nVidia, not less. Right now I'm stuck at 1024x768 but from what I can gather the rest is working (audio needed a [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] rollback fix.)

Thanks for any help! Step by step please... ;-)

did you try to add in boot.plist the GraphincEnabler to Yes?

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

add it and im sure you're be ok (Oh! did you installed Audio driver from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]? if yes How did you do that and for what codec was it for

Thank you

did you try to add in boot.plist the GraphincEnabler to Yes?

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

add it and im sure you're be ok (Oh! did you installed Audio driver from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]? if yes How did you do that and for what codec was it for

Thank you

I tried to edit it but was getting permission errors. I'm a noob at Mac stuff like this. Is there a lesson on this that you might know of. I feel sooo stupid on this. As for the Beast, i drilled down to the audio and one of the Realtek options was for a rollback, 2nd choice and that did it. I'm on my iPad now so I'm not looking right at it. I'll edit this if I made a mistake but think I got it right. Thanks!

Update:

I looked at the file those settings "Yes" are there.

This is what I see in About My Mac graphics info:

GeForce GTX 460:

Chipset Model: GeForce GTX 460

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0e22

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 70.04.2E.00.70

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

It's got the card info right, but the res is locked in. Where does this get updated?

I'm also getting a reinstall from manufacturer error when trying to rebuild cache & permissions in this: NVDANV40Hal.kext

sigh

Thanks for any help!