[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

hi,

by now I haven't got very far because my install lion.app is missing the "JavaRuntimeForMacOSX10.7.pkg" and therefore it seems to prevent the "mkboot" to work properly, then I guess that that java thing will also prevent the "finalize" to install and patch correctly...

please, how could I fix that ?

The Java runtime had been removed from the server. I've changed the script to point to a newer version so you should try again with v1.3

The Java runtime had been removed from the server. I've changed the script to point to a newer version so you should try again with v1.3

yeah I figured that out, meanwhile I generated a custom dsdt.aml file and was able to boot flawlessly from my brand new ssd hard drive. I used the migration tools to move everything from my time machine backup and strangely browsing internet is kinda slow. I've installed the v10.7.0 and haven't updated to 10.7.3 yet. Also my MOTU PCI424 isnt recognized anymore...I'll check everything else tomorrow.

ok, so I finally used your new script and now everything seems perfect, sleep/wake up, wi-fi, ethernet, my motu pci424 also works, i checked if trim is activated and it is. Great job !

thank you !

You're welcome :)

There's nothing in the script that handles trim so you must have done that on your own.

Tseug, is the new installer required to "finalize" prior installations? For example, in the past I've run your original ./finalize after applying certain software updates. Do I need to use the ./finalize in the new installer for any software updates in the future, or is it for use only with new Lion installations? I'm a little confused as to what changed that caused you to create the new installer and what it should be used for. :worried_anim:

Tseug, is the new installer required to "finalize" prior installations? For example, in the past I've run your original ./finalize after applying certain software updates. Do I need to use the ./finalize in the new installer for any software updates in the future, or is it for use only with new Lion installations? I'm a little confused as to what changed that caused you to create the new installer and what it should be used for. :worried_anim:

finalize hasn't changed, so no :)

• 2 weeks later...

How to update to 10.7.4:

1. Update (Combo or Software update).

2. Boot into USB

3. Rerun finalize

4. Reboot into your installation. Done.

kernel.log gives some error messages regarding SMC::smcReadKeyAction and SMC::smcInitHelper in 10.7.4 but it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How to update to 10.7.4:

1. Update (Combo or Software update).

2. Boot into USB

3. Rerun finalize

4. Reboot into your installation. Done.

kernel.log gives some error messages regarding SMC::smcReadKeyAction and SMC::smcInitHelper in 10.7.4 but it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects.

Hello tseug,

I am currently on 10.7.3 (my mobo is P35-DS4) after using your way to install lion, but I used this tool to enable OpenCL. Will your guide "how to update to 10.7.4" still work or do I have to do any extra step? Thanks for help.

Hello tseug,

I am currently on 10.7.3 (my mobo is P35-DS4) after using your way to install lion, but I used this tool to enable OpenCL. Will your guide "how to update to 10.7.4" still work or do I have to do any extra step? Thanks for help.

I have no way of knowing. Experiment.

• 3 weeks later...

Good guide, thanks for the tutorial.

I tried this on my GA-965P-DS3 Rev?? (may be 1.6 not sure) could not boot after installing Lion. Wonder if anyone got thru this on similar board? Any suggestions, if I should make USB with/without DSDT? or anything else I'm missing?

Motherboard: GA-965P-DS3

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz

Video: Diamond Radeon HD 2600 XT PCIe 512MB

Partition: Guid, dual boot with Windows 7

HD Connector: ATA (no SATA)

Sorry, I can't upgrade for now

I'll appreciate any help, Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

Nevermind, got it to work!

Also, please tell me the OP will update this script for Mountain Lion once it is released later this month?

OP, FTW on this script. Works perfectly on my GA-P35-DS4!

tseug the Installation osx lion app where have to be resided in the Applications folder?

'cause I located it there, but after launched the mkboot script, the terminal stopped to run saying "hdiutil: failed - No such file or directory"....well..I don't know.. :wallbash:

@tseug:

Thanks a lot!

This guide is so great and it worked so well with my P35-DS4.

But can we hope for another guide from you for installing Mountain Lion on that motherboard?

EDIT: It looks like the guide there http://www.insanelym...howtopic=276647 in combination with this guide here will probably do the job as it's obviously based on tseug's great work.

Now I'm looking forward to the release of ML. :)

tseug the Installation osx lion app where have to be resided in the Applications folder?

'cause I located it there, but after launched the mkboot script, the terminal stopped to run saying "hdiutil: failed - No such file or directory"....well..I don't know.. :wallbash:

Ok, the first one is done.The prob was about getting the 10.7 in the app store.

Then the script is started and everything is done well, unfortunately, after the boo, the verbose says "Can't find legacy kernel"...what's wrong with that?

:-( Please suggestion!

Screen_Shot_2012_07_14_at_22_33_48.jpg

Ok, the first one is done.The prob was about getting the 10.7 in the app store.

Then the script is started and everything is done well, unfortunately, after the boo, the verbose says "Can't find legacy kernel"...what's wrong with that?

:-( Please suggestion!

Screen_Shot_2012_07_14_at_22_33_48.jpg

It looks fine to me. Are you sure you're booting directly from USB and not through the chameleon on your hard drive?

Hi Tseug, thanks for your time.

Yes I am sure; just entered to the BIOS before to start the boot process to select the USB-HDD..I don't know, it sounds so..stupid.

Just reformatting usb drive and repeating the process from the beginning right now.

:-(

@Tseug

Pretty happy, the prob was the BIOS, setted correctly but lost the submenu boot order..

Then the installation procedure has gone well, even the finalize script, unfortunately something is gone wrong on the graphic side.

I attach an image, just supposed it's the FX Quadro 3500 the prob...

IMG_20120717_082512.jpg

@Tseug

Pretty happy, the prob was the BIOS, setted correctly but lost the submenu boot order..

Then the installation procedure has gone well, even the finalize script, unfortunately something is gone wrong on the graphic side.

I attach an image, just supposed it's the FX Quadro 3500 the prob...

IMG_20120717_082512.jpg

Yeah, looks like it.

Nevermind, got it to work!

Also, please tell me the OP will update this script for Mountain Lion once it is released later this month?

OP, FTW on this script. Works perfectly on my GA-P35-DS4!

I will probably update it for Mountain Lion. Although, if the rumour holds (launch date july 25) it probably won't be on launch day as I am on holiday at the time.

..any suggestions to solve that?

In the mean time an old partition 10.5 is bootable..can I copy something from that to solve? Or I relaunch the finalize script..?

You might need additional kexts and/or changing org.chameleon.Boot.plist . I don't know how to deal with hardware I can't test.

• Like 1

I will probably update it for Mountain Lion. Although, if the rumour holds (launch date july 25) it probably won't be on launch day as I am on holiday at the time.

Great, looking forward to it!

Take your time and enjoy your break. I really appreciate your work on this over the years. Has always worked great on my now old DS4!

Update.

I think I am not so far to get it solved.

I changed my org.chameleon.Boot.plist adding the device properties and string of the fx quadro 3500.

Note that in my /System/Library/Extension the NV40DAV doesn't appear anymore.

The good new is that system profiler report the graphic details correct..I need the the next step..

Screen_Shot_2012_07_19_at_14_46_31.jpg

..the acceleration is still gone