[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

I do everything right, but when I boot my usb drive, my hard drive doesn't even show up in disk utility. I have mbr with windows, snow leopard, and a blank partition. I also replaced the osinstall.mpkg

MBR is not supported. At least not by me :P

Tseug,

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I was able to installed Lion DP4 on my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L/Saphire HD 5670 1GB GPU.

I have encountered a few minor hitches that I hope you can help.

1.Long boot up time. All the Kexts from /S/L/E are being loaded on each boot. Tried -usecache in boot option but no help :) .

2.In Install Folder>BootExtra>Extensions, there are 2 Kexts i.e. ElliottForceLegacyRTC and NullCPUPowerManagement.

What are the these Kexts for and how they can be used?

Thank You.

Tseug,

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I was able to installed Lion DP4 on my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L/Saphire HD 5670 1GB GPU.

I have encountered a few minor hitches that I hope you can help.

1.Long boot up time. All the Kexts from /S/L/E are being loaded on each boot. Tried -usecache in boot option but no help :) .

I don't know how to fix that. I always just sleep anyway. There might be a solution on the boards somewhere or it might be fixed later. It's early days. ;)

2.In Install Folder>BootExtra>Extensions, there are 2 Kexts i.e. ElliottForceLegacyRTC and NullCPUPowerManagement.

What are the these Kexts for and how they can be used?

Thank You.

Both are used on the boot USB to compensate for a missing DSDT. The first resolves CMOS resets and the second resolves a kernel panic associated with AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement. You shouldn't need them on the installed Lion.

Finally got DP4 loaded onto my M1330. Had to replace AppleACPIPlatform, IOPCIFamily & IONetworkingFamily kexts from the Snow partition.

Ethernet working, Can't get Wireless (DW 1505) working with Snow Kexts. Wireless works just fine in Snow Leopard.

I did have to get rid of ElliottForce*.kext for the USB Installer to boot and a few other changes. Will upload the udated install folder soon.

EDIT:

Now, I can get the wireless card recognized (copied IO80211Family.kext also from SL), still can't connect though.

Here is the modified "install" folder:

install.zip

;) Worked like a champ for me. I'm using a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L. Used my old DSDT from snow leopard, most things work out of the box, except audio. Think the 10.6.2 kext will work? haha, doubt it. One nice thing was that my atheros wireless card recognized as AirPort (i mean WiFi) out of the box. In snow leopard I had to mod the kext.

Just a tip to clarify, before doing the terminal command in step 3, move the "install" folder (unzipped) and the lion DMG to the same directory. CD to that directory, then execute the command exactly as it says in step 3.

EDIT:

10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E and LegacyHDA.kext in E/E worked. Go figure.

Thanks for the tips.

I have no knowledge on scripting :D .

Would appreciate if you can create and attach the file to be used in /etc/rc.local

I have /Extra/Extensions in root of my Lion installation.

Thank you.

Did you fix permissions in Lion?

boot LION with -s, type mount -uw /

type ls -la /etc/rc.local

You should see perissions for rc.local as unknown, thats why it don't work.

type chown root:wheel /etc/rc.local

and recheck permissions ARE root:wheel, also chown -R 755 it as well.

reboot and it LION SHOULD work.

STLVNUB, I will check it when I'm at home, but I remember changing and checking the permissions.

Karina

@tseug: Thanks a lot! this works for my hardware. Completed the whole process of installing and fine tuning within 3 hours.

I followed tseug's guide to create the USB device for LION DP4. I tried to follow his 'Direction #3. In Terminal'. BUT the 'Boot/ ' didn't work! I tried without it and I was able to process the code. Then, I booted from the USB device with the OS X Lion DP4 in it and proceeded with the installation. Everything went on smoothly; Finalized the HDD Volume and rebooted. Of course, I needed to install the network, audio, and other related kexts before I installed the LION DP4 Update with a newer version of ITunes which went on successfuly.

Asus P5k with flushed Bios v.0703 P5KR

Intel Core 2 Quad Core 2.66 mhz

5GB RAM DDR2 800

Nvidia GTX 470 (this was recognized immediately during installation)

Realtek 8139c (not built-in)

I followed tseug's guide to create the USB device for LION DP4. I tried to follow his 'Direction #3. In Terminal'. BUT the 'Boot/ ' didn't work!

What do you mean by "the 'Boot/ ' didn't work"?

Basically the rc.local file is a normal text file with this: kextload /Extra/Extensions/*

Place it in /etc and open terminnal

and type

sudo chown root:wheel /etc/rc.local

and

sudo chmod -R 755 /etc/rc.local.

Have UseKernelCache=Yes in boot.plist in /Extra

Do NOT USE Extensions.mkext as kernelcache does not use it.

if you have Lion only on HD, the above should be all you need.

If you are dual booting Lion/Sl on same hd the process is a bit different.

I'll package up an example zip file and upload it shortly, that should explain it further.

edit: LionBoothelp

STLVNUB,

TQ for your help.

I tried as you suggested. Added rc.local folder in /etc. Also root:wheel /etc/rc.local Add file rc.local in rc.local folder

Deleted Extensions.mkext in /E/E & /S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup.

Added UseKernelCache=Yes in com.apple.boot.plist.

However get KP on " ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin: registeredLPCDriver failed to locate SMC driver"

What did I do wrong?

Did you fix permissions in Lion?

boot LION with -s, type mount -uw /

type ls -la /etc/rc.local

You should see perissions for rc.local as unknown, thats why it don't work.

type chown root:wheel /etc/rc.local

and recheck permissions ARE root:wheel, also chown -R 755 it as well.

reboot and it LION SHOULD work.

Hi, permissions where OK, look:

asusp6t:~ ro$ ls -la /etc/rc.local
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel  44 Jun 20 20:37 /etc/rc.local

And the contents from /etc/rc.local are:

asusp6t:~ ro$ cat /etc/rc.local
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/kextload /Extra/Extensions/*

I don't understand what's happening, any more idea?

Thanks in advance,

Karina

What do you mean by "the 'Boot/ ' didn't work"?

Hi tseug,

I apologize for this late reply. I was very busy at school. Anyways, What I mean was that ....

in Direction item 3. Terminal code.

'sudo install/mkboot OS\ X\ Lion\ DP\ 4.dmg /Volumes/USB\ Boot/'

I have used exactly that same code line but I always got stuck and could not move on. So what I did, I omitted the last word, 'Boot/' in the code line and hit the 'Enter' key. Only then I was able to create the Lion USB installer which was successfully working during the installation process.

Thank you again. i will keep on coming back for new updates... By the way, have you got any working Attansic L1 kext for Lion?

Hi tseug,

I apologize for this late reply. I was very busy at school. Anyways, What I mean was that ....

in Direction item 3. Terminal code.

'sudo install/mkboot OS\ X\ Lion\ DP\ 4.dmg /Volumes/USB\ Boot/'

I have used exactly that same code line but I always got stuck and could not move on. So what I did, I omitted the last word, 'Boot/' in the code line and hit the 'Enter' key. Only then I was able to create the Lion USB installer which was successfully working during the installation process.

Thank you again. i will keep on coming back for new updates... By the way, have you got any working Attansic L1 kext for Lion?

You didn't name the USB "USB Boot" then.

Hi tseug

The guide looks fantastic.

I tried to follow another guides which booted one time (the fist time it boots from USB), and then I started to get "waiting for root device", were I am stuck at the moment. So I will give I try to your guide soon.

Can you tell me if it should work on:

MG: GA-965P-DS3 rev 1.0 F12

CPU: C2D E6600

RAM: 2 Gb

Disk: IDE Master 80Gb

GPU: MSI 7600 GT

Thanks

R Silva

Hello tseug'

Did you get a chance to try out the GM version :( ?

Do you foresee any change in the installation processes that you have outlined?

I am looking forward to try it out myself but getting a copy of Lion GM will take some time.

Thank you and have a nice weekends.

Hello tseug'

Did you get a chance to try out the GM version :) ?

Do you foresee any change in the installation processes that you have outlined?

I am looking forward to try it out myself but getting a copy of Lion GM will take some time.

Thank you and have a nice weekends.

It works with GM now.

v0.7 released 2011-07-02

* Changed parameter for mkboot to use install app instead of InstallESD.dmg

* Changed patch for CMOS reset on reboot after wakeup to newer two byte patch (AppleRTC.kext)

Guide updated.

Hi, tseug

I installing GM using guide 0.6

Copy on Desktop InstallESD.dmg and rename OS X Lion DP 4

Working full on mi GA-P35-DS4

0.7 this guide just see it now 0__O

Thank for the great job :)

Hi, tseug

I installing GM using guide 0.6

Copy on Desktop InstallESD.dmg and rename OS X Lion DP 4

Working full on mi GA-P35-DS4

0.7 this guide just see it now 0__O

Thank for the great job :(

Note that 0.6 has not been tested on GM. You may see a CMOS reset the next time you reboot if you use sleep.

Note that 0.6 has not been tested on GM. You may see a CMOS reset the next time you reboot if you use sleep.

He had not seen your new guide until a few minutes, this morning without any problems GM install using the guide 0.6

Sorry for my english, google translator.

Greatings