[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

That happened to me when I installed to. Try a USB mouse or keyboard in the USB2 port. If that doesn't work, you'll have to get the right DSDT onto your partition before continuing with setup. I got the DSDT on mine by booting up the install USB, opening the terminal, mounting the install partition, and copying the DSDT from the usb to the partition. Might help to install PS2 kexts at the same time

--Adeeb

Thanks Adeeb for your response.

I have already found the proper way to boot with a correct installation screen (putting device-properties string to my org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Please see it attached together with my SMBios.plist).

I did a successful installation just with the help of working laptop keyboard.

And now I have a problem with booting from HDD. I am trying to deal with option 1 from the DoiX's Manual:

Boot into your newly restored/burned image, choose where you wish to install it (don't forget to erase that location). When the install is done you have 2 options:

1. Boot using rBoot LE then use the Lx02x Lion install package (see Post Install section) and skip battery kext, it's bugged for some reason. Don't forget to install FakeSMC (sensor modules) and the bootloader (not included in my package)

Every time I try to boot I have a Kernel Panic message whatever boot args I use.

Could you please advise how I can boot from rBoot LE now?

Thanks in advance.

Here is one interesting fact.

I experimented with InstallESD.dmg of different OSX ML versions (10.8, 10.8.1, 10.8.2) and while using 10.8.2 I had a working touchpad at installation screen!

It's a pity but just after few seconds of moving :lol: round rainbow cursor a kernel panic screen appeared instead of Welcome Message.

Besides I would ask your opinion regarding future of OSX LX02x project. Can we make the process of preparation of installation image easier and more automatic?

I have a desktop hackintosh on Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard and here is what I used to install OSX Lion and Mountain Lion:

http://www.insanelym...ga-1366-i7-9xx/

http://www.insanelym...-automatizzata/

I would like to turn your attention to the built-in post installation script which can be called from Terminal at installation screen just after successful installation and reboot from the same installation usb. I find it very convenient and user friendly.

org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip

SMBios.plist.zip

@ lumenmundi

Well if ur using a XPS system ( 13, 14, 15 or 17 ), well u can use use my 10.8.2 pre installed image from l702x thread, just make sure u replace ur system specific files such as DSDT SSDT and org.chameleon.Boot.plist and also smbios.plist

It has only HD 3000 graphics kexts, rest of the kexts has been deleted, if u have any other graphics card install those respective kexts and ur good to go.

For me rBoot LE never worked, the apps from tonymacosx86 forum are bit of pain, they always resulted in kernel panic. Just use normal manual stock method to prepare an usb,

1. Restore BaseSystem.dmg to a usb

2. Copy Packages in to it and then place mach_kernel into the usb

3. Install chameleon bootloader and then finally place ur system specific files.

4. Most Important delete kernelcache and then delete unneccessary or conflicting kexts , Say for example if u have intel Hd 3000 card delete all other Amd and Nvidia kexts and highly recommended to delete other unrelated intel GMA 950 x3100 HD graphics Hd 4000 graphics kexts.

5. Now install important kexts such as fakesmc, nullcpupowermangement.kext using kextwizard and also try to fix disk permission from kextwizard itself or also can try diskutility.app to fix any permissions.

I hope this works for u, as i never let down using this method in creating usb installation as well as Preinstalled images

And Regarding boot problems try clover if u have any problems with chameleon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, has anyone tried to update to 10.7.5?

I updated today and now i cannot log into desktop anymore. Instead of the login screen i get a blank (gray) page. The display goes to sleep, wakes, but the login just doesn't appear.

Right after updateing i got a kernel panick, something CPU related, i reinstall AICPUPM and after that it starts at the blank page. Any ideas?

try nullcpu just during the upgrade to 10.7.5 (so it doesn't kp).

Once you've updated, remove the null kext and replace it with a properly patched AICPUPM kext.

I already updated, i cannot update again.. i got a kp after 1st restart but i reinstalled AICPUPM and that solved the kp. Also tried nullcpu, reinstalling all kexts, no changes, the blank screen remains. I'll just do a clean install hopefully today.

Evening All.

I assume this is a *straighforward problem*

Today, I decided to upgrade from W8CP to W8 pro. This involved formatting the Windows partition and installing windows. I currently have three partitions on my disk

1) System Reserved

2) W8 Pro

3) Mountain Lion.

Of course, now the computer will boot straight into Windows, and I can't get to boot into OSX. The partition won't load with the eyeboot CD, and the OSX partition originally had the Chameleon boot loader. What are my options:

1) Try to boot with a different loader via disc, e.g rboot

2) Try to change partition 3 to be active using the Windows diskpart command? *edit* made the ML partition active and it still doesn't load, cursor just flashes at me!

3) Reinstall ML? (Prefer not to do this?)

Any help appreciated!

AMH.

Well I was just good and bought Windows 8 (windowsupgradeoffer.com works - no proof of purchase needed and it costs £15 in UK for 8 pro)

Installed on the spare HDD. Lasted 2 hours and I've swapped drives back to good old OSX. I'll keep it on the drive in the caddy to play Guild wars and WOW but can't see the appeal right now especially on a non-touch device...

Install for Win 8 is trouble free BTW if anyone is going to test it out!

Well I was just good and bought Windows 8 (windowsupgradeoffer.com works - no proof of purchase needed and it costs £15 in UK for 8 pro)

Installed on the spare HDD. Lasted 2 hours and I've swapped drives back to good old OSX. I'll keep it on the drive in the caddy to play Guild wars and WOW but can't see the appeal right now especially on a non-touch device...

Install for Win 8 is trouble free BTW if anyone is going to test it out!

Thanks for your comment. Many of us that work in Healthcare are committed to Windows as hospitals are sticking to MS, and many of the UK hospital intranet pages are IE compliant. OSX will never have an updated "internet explorer for Mac" and the plugins for Firefox and Chrome require a working version of IE. I haven't tried it on a touch device, but I do like the concept of live tiles esp for e-mail, twitter etc.

AMH.

Iam Planning to install Mountain Lion 10.8.2.I have prepared bootable USB thumb.I need to just confirm whether these specs are good to go.

Dell XPS L502X

Processor : i7 2630QM 2.0 Ghz

RAM : 8Gb

Bios : A12

Graphics :Nvidia Geforce GTX 540M and Intel HD 3000 series

I just need to confirm whether system specific DSDT and SDST are avialable for my specs before I get started.

Thanks in advance.

@TimeWalker, yes. A06 is the last working sleep bios for L502x model. If you need more info feel free to ask me, or to test something (that doesn't require windows since i installed W8 and its {censored} compatibility wise)

Well, we have narrowed it down to:

SystemSmmUsbLegacySmm.efi			 EF33C296-F64C-4146-AD04-347899702C84_1_1138.ROM
SystemBootManagerDxe.efi			 73DAB30F-3F9C-4160-B064-439CE16C3EDE_1_1090.ROM
SystemXhciDxe.efi					 949822BC-26D3-4BC6-954B-F2C581342DE1_1_273.ROM
PlatformSetup.efi					 A4F2909C-5E2A-438A-91BA-272B0923049A_1_907.ROM
SystemUsbBusDxe.efi				 240612B7-A063-11D4-9A3A-0090273FC14D_1_947.ROM
PlatformSmm.efi					 CB73C3D9-2F01-4342-AE67-04DDE5264092_1_912.ROM
DellReadyToBoot.efi			 C0330B04-CBB8-4CCF-B45B-C7DBD943782B_1_976.ROM

Also I highly doubt DellReadyToBoot or SystemBootManager can impact this somehow.. so this leaves us with just 5 modules to backport. I will try backporting these from a working bios to a later bios which has issues .. module by module, if however it doesn't help, then all the usb-related modules together and platform modules together.... hopefully it can be traced down.

What does PlatformSmm.efi handle/do?

Well, you could narrow it down some more by thinking what usually breaks sleep on os x. I remember on my old desktop PC that USB broke sleep if not patched.

Also, i've read on NotebookReview that you're comparing A06 to A09, why not A06 to A07 ?