[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Sadly, I updated natively to 10.8.2, then received the KP:

i3gw48.jpg

@DoiX can you post the kexts so I can drop them in using the Windows 8 partition?

EDIT: I booted up in safe mode and deployed @DoiX package v1.4. This works fine. However, I am still faced with the old problem of no sound. The sound icon is there, the sliders are working. The sound is heard if plugged into the headphone jack. What is wrong with the speakers??

Just change the setting from head phones to internal speakers in sound under system preferences

@cisar, Clover increases the artifacts. Chameleon removes them completely as long as i boot using a kextcache file.

@killer567, i have no idea, didn't have time to hackintosh these past weeks. Technically you could revert the files handling that function, but you need to isolate them and revert them back from 10.8... it's kinda not worth it, at least in my eyes.

@amh10, i'm glad you solved it. If mackyreddy's solution doesn't work it could be that the kext isn't compatible and that you may need to dump some codec info from linux/windows.

Thanks @DoiX. Sadly the speakers don't work. Can you tell me how to dump the code? Before that, here are some screenshots that might help:

1) Do you think I need to change the profile (currently 13" macbook??)

2) I have only installed the patched ML Apple HDA and the new DSDT as instructed

3) When selecting internal speakers in the system preferences the bar flicks back to boom device

post-432410-0-37986700-1348384290_thumb.png

post-432410-0-53994700-1348384295_thumb.png

post-432410-0-65795400-1348384300_thumb.png

post-432410-0-33441000-1348384307_thumb.png

post-432410-0-83466500-1348384311_thumb.png

1.Afaik sound is not affected by the smbios value.

3. It's normal behavior when one has boom installed. Try uninstalling it, maybe something is bugged with boom.

About the codec thing: http://www.projectos...p?showtopic=465 but it should be the last option.

Go to utilities > Audio MIDI Setup post-167221-0-90694100-1348414228_thumb.png make sure Output has those 2 icons next to it.

1.Afaik sound is not affected by the smbios value.

3. It's normal behavior when one has boom installed. Try uninstalling it, maybe something is bugged with boom.

About the codec thing: http://www.projectos...p?showtopic=465 but it should be the last option.

Go to utilities > Audio MIDI Setup post-167221-0-90694100-1348414228_thumb.png make sure Output has those 2 icons next to it.

Thanks DoiX. Tried all that, uninstalled Boom, two icons next to each other, but still no sound!

Option 1) Voodoo HDA

Option 2) Patch AppleHDA myself?

AMH.

Hey,

I've got Mountain Lion 10.8 installed on my laptop (L502x first gen).

Everything works but two things, sleep and the USB 3 ports.

Ive installed the

PXHCD.

kext into S/E/L and repaired the disk permissions using disk utility and kext wizard but still they don't work

Regarding the USB problem, it does load and I can see the USB 3 information in System report, but all that happens is the lights on the USB stick flash and nothing else. I might try removing PXHCD.kext and just using DoiX's DSDT instead and see how that goes

With the sleeping issue, I press sleep (or close the lid) the screen goes black but everything remains on. I can press caps lock on the keyboard and the capslock light turns on. So do the three buttons just below the screen and the power button light and xps light stays on. I have no idea why. Is it possible to log whats happening as the laptop goes to sleep?

Edit: All was fixed by reinstalling ML

Edited by Serangan

bios Modded speedstep no need patch AICPUPM

is the a11 l502x bios modded bios

to flash the L502X bios, run the FLASH_the_modded_bios.bat

ask y, and click ok on following messages.

system will reboot and flash.

voltages and everything else is untouched.

let me know if it works

http://www.mediafire...06yumobbun4zpdc

SOURCE:WWW.BOIS-MODS.COM

Good news! capitankasar over at http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/635536-l502x-modded-bioses-download-gpu-voltages-more-81.html managed to unlock the advanced BIOS menu. I flashed just now and works for me. It doesn't seem to have an integrated/discrete option like the L702s does. However, there is an option for primary graphics adapter. Default is IGP, setting it to PEG does disable integrated on my laptop. However, windows refused to route through the nvidia card, and ended up running on basic vga drivers. I'll need to play around with it more, but being able to disable integrated might finally mean a breakthough in using our nvidia cards for OSX.

--Adeeb

• Like 1

Morning all, haven't posted in a while as I was busy working on BIOS modding.

Finally after months of hard work we have finally cracked the hidden advanced menus on the XPS 15 and 15z, most likely it's also the case for the L702x as well. That means we (as osx users) have now an incredible new set of options for ACPI, Graphics, CPU states and more. Not sure if I can post the link here but all those who have followed my work in the last few months know where to go :)

• Like 6

Finally after months of hard work we have finally cracked the hidden advanced menus on the XPS 15 and 15z, most likely it's also the case for the L702x as well. That means we (as osx users) have now an incredible new set of options for ACPI, Graphics, CPU states and more. Not sure if I can post the link here but all those who have followed my work in the last few months know where to go :)

Congrats!!! So you figured the VSS afterall? Oh please be the same for Vostro 3450 !

is there some thing for inspiron n5110 :) ?

Probably yes Mohamed. I had previously patched my speedstep module based on a 15R hack, so the bioses are very similar. Follow my instructions in the bios mods thread, or alternatively let me know if you need any help!

I'm also closely watching your development progress on the alps trackpad 2/3 finger scroll - the 15z has similar trackpad hardware to the 15R so we share many components. Good luck :)

• Like 1

Probably yes Mohamed. I had previously patched my speedstep module based on a 15R hack, so the bioses are very similar. Follow my instructions in the bios mods thread, or alternatively let me know if you need any help!

I'm also closely watching your development progress on the alps trackpad 2/3 finger scroll - the 15z has similar trackpad hardware to the 15R so we share many components. Good luck :)

after a week i will finish my exams and then will begin on it thanks for your offer :)

about alps really i am fighting to get a developer for our touchpad hope to catch one to do it :D

Hey Jbuha is there any option to enable Discrete Graphic card on L702x ( As the post from adeebm suggests) ? Anyways i will be heading towards ur thread.

Good news! capitankasar over at http://forum.noteboo...es-more-81.html managed to unlock the advanced BIOS menu. I flashed just now and works for me. It doesn't seem to have an integrated/discrete option like the L702s does. However, there is an option for primary graphics adapter. Default is IGP, setting it to PEG does disable integrated on my laptop. However, windows refused to route through the nvidia card, and ended up running on basic vga drivers. I'll need to play around with it more, but being able to disable integrated might finally mean a breakthough in using our nvidia cards for OSX.

--Adeeb

How do u know that l702 has integrated/discrete option ? where do u get that info from ? can u confirm it ? Is there any L702 bios modding thread ? If so can u just forward me ur sources.

Secondly regarding l502 have u tested OS X on new cracked bios ? Can u use Nvidia card on OS X ? Will be eagerly waiting for ur reply.

If we can get Nvidia active on OS X then that would be real breakthrough even without optimus support.

Great work JKBuha!

Some info about the Nvidia card. Using the modded bios with PEG settings and the _PS0 DSDT (which always resulted in some type of boot loop) i can get to the desktop but it freezes there, can't dump anything to see if and what has changed in the system registry. Will experiment more when i get home.

P.S this bios throttles the fan to maximum. My temp is around 35ºC at this speed....

Great work JKBuha!

Some info about the Nvidia card. Using the modded bios with PEG settings and the _PS0 DSDT (which always resulted in some type of boot loop) i can get to the desktop but it freezes there, can't dump anything to see if and what has changed in the system registry. Will experiment more when i get home.

P.S this bios throttles the fan to maximum. My temp is around 35ºC at this speed....

There is also an option inside PEG settings that says PEG always on or something of the sort. I'm pretty sure that also needs to be enabled in PEG mode. From what I understand, without that enabled, the discrete still follows optimus behavior and automatically disables itself when not in use. Might be why you crash at desktop.

Hey Jbuha is there any option to enable Discrete Graphic card on L702x ( As the post from adeebm suggests) ? Anyways i will be heading towards ur thread.

How do u know that l702 has integrated/discrete option ? where do u get that info from ? can u confirm it ? Is there any L702 bios modding thread ? If so can u just forward me ur sources.

Secondly regarding l502 have u tested OS X on new cracked bios ? Can u use Nvidia card on OS X ? Will be eagerly waiting for ur reply.

If we can get Nvidia active on OS X then that would be real breakthrough even without optimus support.

I think the l702x option was only for the 3d screen models. I haven't tested the new bios on OSX yet, only windows. I use my OSX partition for work, so I'm trying not to brick it :P Will start a new partition and experiment soon..

--Adeeb

@Adeeb, yes i tried that the second i installed the bios. I'll resume my testing tonight, i wasted an entire day tracing the problem to the fan. (If anyone encounters the same bug, check for a short-circuit in the small ribbon cables)