[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Try unloading it from the terminal, if it's really used by the system you will get some error message. Other obvious questions: did you manually delete the cache files, boot with -f mode?

Obvious answer to an obvious questions (clover has no -f flag .. but anyway there's an alternative) - yes I did.

The system indeed says

(kernel) Can't remove kext com.darwin.driver.IOWMIController; services failed to terminate - 0xdc008018.

Failed to unload com.darwin.driver.IOWMIController - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload).

Maybe they have transitioned away from using WMI (for Win 8) for brightness controls and now rely on regular scancodes such as for media-buttons and sound?

This must be hardcoded somewhere inside EC, since I haven't rolled back that part when downgrading back to A04 this has probably stayed .. ? Anyone with the latest bios can confirm this or prove this otherwise ?

I used to have a ApplePS2 kext that had debug activated, unfortunately i can't find it, if you have a compilable source code make it yourself and see if the fn keys are being detected now.

I tested A12 a week ago, as far as i remember, the Brightness keys worked. I'll flash it again as soon as hiren's boot CD is done burning.

Just tried with a debug version of VoodooPS2 i had around .. the keys do not emit regular scan codes when pressed, so they remain as WMI.

What the heck may have happened .. I remember they worked when I first tried swapping VBIOS for v2130.0 from an Inspiron 17R SE. I remember @Florin mentioning that his brightness control keys got inverted.. but mine worked at that time. Now it doesn't seem to matter which BIOS version I try .. it refuses to work.

@killer, i don't have a working windows else i would have compiled the bios.

@TimeWalker, i can try to send you the decomped version if you feel like compiling. As long as i can disassemble it in vbox window.

@Jkbuha, i burned hiren's boot cd and also restored it to a usb stick. Every time I encounter some kernel image related error. Looks like i'll have to reinstall, damn it i hate backuping wiindows.

Does anyone know some os x program that can create an image of windows, one that can restore a fully functioning windows?

Also I've noticed I can't even change brightness while in BIOS or bootloader .. which wasn't the case previously. Only windows and ubuntu react to brightness hotkeys and adjust it accordingly..

Going back to stock bios with no mods and doing 'clear variables from nvram' when donwgrading doesn't help either ... what the hell ?

@TimeWalker, i see Kasar made a bios for OS X, no point now.

Back to your brightness problem, could it be you stumbled upon another ME-like region that gets flashed? Did the latest bios present new modules/bigger increase in size than the average of the last updates?

Didn't .. nothing changed.

I have found that A07 has some fixes to apparently similar issues - "10.Brightness hotkey loss pop up after flash BIOS ", but I now suspect Windows 8 is to blame.

I've flashed A07 and brightness controls worked at bios .. after rebooting from Windows 8 and going to the bios setup they were broken again .. so it has something to do with Windows 8 WMI .. or QuickSet or something... ?

@TimeWalker, W8 storing something in the bios? I can't even understand why it would do that, and if it doesn't... how does W8 affect it? I guess you could try to remove the bios battery if it's a simple task on your laptop.

@DoiX

not in bios .. in nvram presumably. to restore to the same brightness level after reboot .. ?

battery is deep down there and I don't feel like dismantling the unit would actually help as I can clear the CMOS just by loading up the recovery capsule. same goes for nvram .. reflash with /cvar flag and it will wipe nvram to factory state.. but it won't help sadly. I will play with this tomorrow .. it's not a HUGE deal afterall .... but I believe my broken Fn+F1 (vidmirror) key is somewhat connected with this rotten set of events ..

for the life of me can't get i to respond to hotkeys... tried restarting windows, shutting down the laptop completely, removing AC, battery .. resetting cmos via recovery .. nothing bloody helps.

Edit:

Noticed this in my log:

Nov 13 12:03:11 localhost kernel[0]: Notice - new kext com.apple.iokit.IOHIDSystem, v1.8 matches prelinked kext but can't determine if executables are the same (no UUIDs).

Nov 13 12:03:12 localhost kernel[0]: Notice - new kext com.apple.iokit.IOHIDSystem, v1.8 matches prelinked kext but can't determine if executables are the same (no UUIDs).

Nov 13 10:03:37 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Nov 13 12:03:12 localhost kernel[0]: DellWMIController: WMI driver version 1.0 Device name: AMW0

Nov 13 12:03:12 localhost kernel[0]: DellWMIController: No object of method WQBC

Nov 13 12:03:12 localhost hidd[60]: Posting 'com.apple.iokit.hid.displayStatus' notifyState=1

Nov 13 12:03:12 localhost hidd[60]: void __IOHIDLoadBundles(): Loaded 0 HID plugins

I suspect this has something to do with my issue as well ...

my laptop also behaves strange after i downgraded to bios a06 and reinstalled win 7 a while ago. if i hit fn + f3 the trackpad doesn't disable, the orange led turns on but that's all. fn + f11/f12 don't work all the time (win only) and also quickset doesn't work all the time. upgrading to a11/reinstalling all drivers didn't work.

Hey,

Any way getting 10.8.2 working?

Trying to update from 10.8.1 with comboupdate fails after 25-30 minutes.

Updating with Applestore works and after patching kexts form Doix' Kextpack system reboots fine.

Except Sound and Battery, which where mentioned before won't work without patching on 10.8.2.

Problem is, I'm not able to patch kexts anymore.

Tried to replace and fix permission fails while fixing - runs forever.

Same for Kext Wizzard - trying to install a kextfile results in a never finishing installation.

Any advice for me? Which kexts are really necessary after 10.8.2 update and are there any important steps I missed?

Secondly, there is no patched AICPUPowemanagement for 10.8.2, is there?

@TimeWalker i formatted as gpt and installed clover EFI i atleast get the boot screen(as opposed to system operations not found ) from clover but other than that when i try to boot disk i get nothing ...it simply returns to boot screen.....any ideas what i have overlooked.

afaik there's no HFSPlus driver in the installer because it was stolen from apple's firmware and those can't be included for legal reasons.

the emuvariable driver was coded for our Tiano bioses by @dmazar based on my feedback and report I have supplied. I have no idea if the same one would be included in the package. it may have the same name, but the functionality may be totally different. this is the package that has been proven to work for me and another person, it's up to you if you use it or not :)