[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Mac OS X 10.8.1:

Manually install the update, before resetting do the following:

• Rollback AppleSmartBattery.kext if VoodooBattery isn't installed.
  • Rollback AHCIFamily.kext to be able to boot with the kext cache
  • Optional: If Wi-Fi doesn't work restore IO80211Familly.kext

Thanks @DoiX. I did this about a week ago, through the software update. I didn't have to roll back anything, and the XPS boots up fine. The update to 10.8.1 was only about 8Mb though.....

@DoiX,

With XPS 15, when i plug in the ZTE AC8700 USB2 dongle into the USB 3 port, it is detected fine. But as soon as i start the associated application the app freezes and fan starts throttling high (and it doesn't work).

Though i know that the driver is somewhat quirky but it did work in Snow Leo. (Though, i am using an updated 64bit driver on ML)

What is see in console is that, PXHCD is converting the USB3 input from the port to USB2 (as per the USB2 specs) but it hangs there. (I guess the USB3 driver needs to mature more).

In windows the EVDO works well on USB3 port.

FYI, EVDO works fine with USB2 port.

Please share your views/insight on this topic.

Thanks

USB3 fails when it comes to devices that require the interaction of other drivers. Basic storage and charging will work. The charging bit is somewhat random with iDevices, sometime it throttles the fan up (means the kernel is in overdrive) sometimes it just charges them silently w/o problems.

My last DSDT version (if you're using it) has a code for some slow/basic native USB3 support... you can remove the PXHCD kext and boot into OS X with the modem connected. It will be slow to get it detected but maybe it will work just fine after that.

The PXHCD is patched to remove a check if memory serves, it's possible there may be some other check when it comes to interacting with other drivers.

I was curious if the "waiting for root device" error on ML with UseKernelCache=Yes persists with SSD as well. Because, according to BCC9, this happens when the kexts are loaded too fast and the chipset one isn't initialized on time.

OS X Leopard isn't even compatible with sandy bridge processors, and i doubt someone went the trouble to create a kernel for that... unless some legacy one provides some basic functionality, either way... i don't even support Snow Leopard on this laptop because it's just too much of a hassle and less of a "vanilla" experience.

So, why did you install that in the first place?

Oooh, well explain it better the next time. Did you boot with -v -x ? Is the \ spinner screen the one after it says its loaded darwin/smbios/DSDT ?

That's a corrupted bootloader or an extremely old one. Unless there is something physically wrong with your system that manifests itself when the second RAM slot is used. Keep only one ram module in the slot you just updated and remove the other one, see if it works. If not, move it in the old slot... also switch around the memories.

@DoiX,

in L502x DSDT (found in your package v1.4), the _DSM method of section IGPU looks something like this

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Buffer (0x10)
{
/* 0000 */    0xD3, 0x73, 0xD8, 0x7E, 0xD0, 0xC2, 0x4F, 0x4E, 
/* 0008 */    0xA8, 0x54, 0x0F, 0x13, 0x17, 0xB0, 0x1C, 0x2C
}, Arg0)
If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
{
/* 0000 */    0xD3, 0x73, 0xD8, 0x7E, 0xD0, 0xC2, 0x4F, 0x4E, 
/* 0008 */    0xA8, 0x54, 0x0F, 0x13, 0x17, 0xB0, 0x1C, 0x2C
}))
{
^^P0P2.GFX0._PS3 ()
Return (One)
}
}

i want to inject the following into _DSM of IGPU, without affecting anything else, such as NVIDIA OFF etc.

"AAPL00,DualLink",
Buffer (0x04){
0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"AAPL,NumFramebuffers",
Buffer (0x04){
0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"AAPL,snb-platform-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00
},

"hda-gfx",
Buffer (0x0A)
{
"onboard-1"
}

Can you help me out here?

Thanks

@ben, the script times out after messages like that, i'll release an update fixing the bugs people reported so far, until then make sure you delete the files from /tmp folder and that the name of the image you're creating is no used.

@killer http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/16173714/killer.aml this would be the easiest way of doing it. Compare the IGPU DSM, _WAK,_INI and PINI () methods. WAK INI and PINI are used for powering the nvidia card down.

Doix,

problem in boot -v

2gxpbf7.jpg

how active Nvidia GT525M on Mountion Lion ?

You need to patch AppeIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext - without a working install you could try dropping nullcpupowermanagement.kext into /system/library/extensions from a windows install (with macdrive etc to read the mac disk?) and boot with -f -v.

On Nvidia, unless DoiX has made any progress I think it's safe to assume that it will not work for the foreseable future under Mac OSX.

You need to patch AppeIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext - without a working install you could try dropping nullcpupowermanagement.kext into /system/library/extensions from a windows install (with macdrive etc to read the mac disk?) and boot with -f -v.

On Nvidia, unless DoiX has made any progress I think it's safe to assume that it will not work for the foreseable future under Mac OSX.

thanks darren cox Usually patch appleintelcpupower.kext

Hey ,

Preparing for removing the DVD Drive which is right now via the IAtkos DVD the only way to boot into Lion for me, i tried both an external DVD Drive via the USB on the right side of the Laptop and also an USB Stick which i partitioned with FAT MBR and Mac OS Extended Journaled (Withouth the difference for capital letters and non capital letters) and to which i restored the IAtkos Image as well as the newest RBOOT-LE.

In both ways i get, when trying to boot up, a Boot0:Error .

i remember @Doix said some pages ago that he also experienced this problems when trying to boot up via the USB Stick. But why do i get it when i use the external DVD Drive?

Any other way to boot up than what i tried?

Thanks!

Edited by maxey

I created a bootable ML usb stick using pcwiz13's tutorial. but i got "still waiting for root device error. Then I tried to copy smbios.plist to /Extra folder but i can't find the folder anywhere. Help plz?