[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

I tried to only use the Chimera bootloader, because hybernate should work. But I cant get it to work. I followed the work around:

First set your Windows 7 harddrive/partition as active. Boot it with your Windows 7 CD to do this. You'll need to open the recovery console. Command prompt.

At this point it starts Windows when I reboot. No menu were I can choose which OS I want to start.

Second boot into MacOSX (RBootLE) and install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Don't reboot. After that set your MacOSX partition/drive as active. Open Terminal:

After this, I can reboot and start OSX with no problem. But when I try to start Windows I get this screen:

o7w1v9.jpg

(click for larger picture)

How can I fix this?

Why are you setting the OSX partition to active?

I didnt understand that either why I had to do that but they said it here:

http://www.tonymacx8...1&view=previous

Edit: Lol, I made Windows active and repaired its boot loader because I had to run a program in Windows (for something else) So I booted Lion again with RBootLE to reinstall Chimera, rebooted and it all works now. I don't understand because I am sure I did this already a thousand of times. But who cares, it works! :D Thnx for the help! Now I only need to order a mini USB WiFi and I got everything working how I want it :weight_lift:

Is there any new progress with the 525M GPU?

(thnx for the PM!)

Edit2: I want to change my boot to start standard with Windows. These are my partitions:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: Windows_NTFS System Reserved 104.9 MB disk0s1

2: Windows_NTFS 104.8 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS OS X 62.9 GB disk0s3

4: Windows_NTFS Data 209.7 GB disk0s5

So I changed my org.chameleon.Boot.plist to this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>custom</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>npci</key>

<string>0x2000</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(disk0,disk0s2)</string>

</dict>

</plist>

But it still boots Lion as standard. What do I do wrong?

Well, the only thing i can think of is that you are using the FULL HD DSDT instead of the normal one... http://dl.dropbox.co...DSDT-HD.aml.zip copy it to extra and add to org.chameleon.boot.plist

<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

Enjoy your fully functional OSXPS.

P.S http://bcove.me/t342ds55 I would so buy this if i'd have the money :D i like the slim-slick design.

This worked. Thanks!

@ik_ben_mark Simple,

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>

^ This is the correct code ^

"Default Partition" Sets the default boot partition,

=hd(x,y) where 'x' is the disk number, 'y' the partition number.

^ Quote from chameleon boot options ^

@Alex, You're welcome. :)

Hello everyone!

I'd firstly like to say thank you to everyone in this forum, especially doix who have put in so much effort and helped so many people to get their hack-book's working pretty much perfectly! You have inspired me to get a l502x and run lion on it as my next laptop, it should be arriving tomorrow =D

I have a fair amount of experience with hackintoshes as i currently run a pc and another laptop with snow on them. But before I dive in and start getting it sorted though I have a few questions about some issues which I think I will encounter. Any help with these would be greatly appreciated.

1. I have purchased the i5-2410m, full HD version of the l502x. Obviously I will need to use the full-hd version of the dsdt, but will it be compatible with my CPU?

2. On a similar note, I will have to use different ssdt tables for the p-states, I should be able to extract these without issue. What I really want to know is how to set them up using just 3 p-states, instead of the full amount, for better battery life? Ie. Does it involve editing the ssdt tables, or AppleCPUPM kext? If someone could point me to a guide here that would be great!

3. As I have the i5 will I be using the smbios for 8,2 or 8,1 for that, or doesn't it matter?

4. I have read here and there about graphic artifacts with the intel graphics and 4gb of ram, mine is coming with 6gb. Do you think this will be sufficient to prevent glitches, or should I upgrade to 8gb?

5. Finally I have read here that there are still some issues with the usb3 ports? What are they exactly and are there any ways around it or any developments that may remedy them in the future?

Thank you very much in advance for all you wisdom with this =)

Hello everyone!

I'd firstly like to say thank you to everyone in this forum, especially doix who have put in so much effort and helped so many people to get their hack-book's working pretty much perfectly! You have inspired me to get a l502x and run lion on it as my next laptop, it should be arriving tomorrow =D

I have a fair amount of experience with hackintoshes as i currently run a pc and another laptop with snow on them. But before I dive in and start getting it sorted though I have a few questions about some issues which I think I will encounter. Any help with these would be greatly appreciated.

1. I have purchased the i5-2410m, full HD version of the l502x. Obviously I will need to use the full-hd version of the dsdt, but will it be compatible with my CPU?

2. On a similar note, I will have to use different ssdt tables for the p-states, I should be able to extract these without issue. What I really want to know is how to set them up using just 3 p-states, instead of the full amount, for better battery life? Ie. Does it involve editing the ssdt tables, or AppleCPUPM kext? If someone could point me to a guide here that would be great!

3. As I have the i5 will I be using the smbios for 8,2 or 8,1 for that, or doesn't it matter?

4. I have read here and there about graphic artifacts with the intel graphics and 4gb of ram, mine is coming with 6gb. Do you think this will be sufficient to prevent glitches, or should I upgrade to 8gb?

5. Finally I have read here that there are still some issues with the usb3 ports? What are they exactly and are there any ways around it or any developments that may remedy them in the future?

Thank you very much in advance for all you wisdom with this =)

1. Yes

2. Don't use SSDT table, just use this flag CSTUsingSystemIO=Yes

3. Doesn't matter.

4. Mine is 6GB, i rarely have GFX Glitches... it doesn't really depend on memory, it's a random bug with the driver. Also related to heat

5. Well USB3 on my laptop are fully functional, no Kernel Panic when i unplug devices from them... but doing that, keeps the driver active and puts the cpu into a loop so to say, throttling it up to max... you will notice the fan running at high speed and temps increased. To fix that i must reboot the system... so i don't really use them unless i need the port really bad. I have no idea, i assume if dell keeps updating it's bios it will get fixed or if the guy releases a new version of the driver...

• Like 1

I don't think it is a specific question for the XPS hackintosh, but I'll just ask it here. (maybe the mbr instead of guid makes any difference). I have a 3th partition for data. I want to use this for both OS. What kind of filesystem can I use the best? Just NTFS? I can read from ntfs standard with Lion, but wich method is the best to also write on that partition (I use MacDrive for Windows). I have seen some methods/programs mentioned on different sites, but they all seems to be not fully working like they should (at least, if I read the comments)

And is it wise/possible to move the user folder to that data partition and to combine it with the Windows user folders. (for example, both Windows as Lion will use the same folder for documents, audio, etc.)

What kind of filesystem can I use the best? Just NTFS? I can read from ntfs standard with Lion, but wich method is the best to also write on that partition (I use MacDrive for Windows).

You might want to try ExFAT, full read and write support on both operating systems.

First I would look into ExFat. However if its similar to FAT32 as its name implies, then that would infer a maximum file size of 4 gb, along with other inferiorities compared to NTFS

If EXFat doesn't work out then it depends on what OS is going to be your primary OS:

For Windows being primary: I'd format the data partition to NTFS and install Tuxera for OS X

For OSX being primary: I'd format data partition to HFS+ and install paragon ntfs+ (Macdrive is another suitable option but I've run into issues with it0

Also your going to find reminants of the other OS's files whenever your browse your data partition (The .trashes, DS_Store and other OSX folders). It's easy to hide them in Windows through a simple scipt

@Doix Thank you very much for your prompt reply and wisdom. I have only a few more small questions.

2.a) So if I use the flag CSTusingsystemIO=Yes I assume I will get all P-States?

B) What if then extract the SSDT tables then edit them based on an analysis of your ''3-turbo" state SSDT to get only 3 turbo states. Do you think this would be the way to go?

c) And am I correct in assuming that I will need to re-patch AppleICPUPM accordingly, or is this a standard patch that just makes P-States possible?

d) And what about C-States? I haven't read much about them here, so I'm assuming that the flag EnableCStates=Yes is all that is required to make them work?

2. So it's just when unplugging devices from the USB3 hubs that it causes issues? So the ports would be 'acceptable' for use as a permanent/semi-permanent plug for say a wireless mouse receiver, or something that isn't going to be unplugged while the laptop is still in use (like an iPhone)?

That's a shame about the intel hd driver, but it seems to affect real MacBooks too. So hopefully if will be fixed by a future update. Or better yet, that you'll figure out how to get the gt 540/525 functioning correctly with Optimus ;-) Ahh, a man can dream can't he?

Thanks again, you're a real asset to the hackintosh community!

1.a ) That will get you C-States only, i should have specified that by using that flag as an extra to the normal org.chameleon.boot.plist from my package you should have sleep working.

b ) You can do that, just remember the info is coded in hex and if memory serves it's a reversed hex code (instead of "abcd" it's "dcba"). From wikipedia: 2.4GHz is the normal freq. 2.7 and 3.0 GHz represent the Turbo State frequencies. Or, you can extract the SSDT tables on windows ( i believe it is the SSDT 3 table -not sure) and copy paste the APSS section into my SSDT (remember to replace the existing one).

c ) Honestly i don't know, the guy that made the patcher didn't release the source code yet so i have no clue on how/what it patches. if you are kind enough please test my patched AICPUM files (when you boot with -v you should see a code line saying something about Turbo, if the files are correctly working on your CPU, you should see some numbers on the same line: 3/6 if they are not working correctly you will probably see 6/6/8/9 or nothing at all.

d ) CSTusingsystemIO=Yes replaces EnableCStates=Yes

2. I can't say i used the USB3 ports more than 20 minutes but in that time i didn't experience problems (keep in mind i have the i7 processor, it could be possible that on i5 this bug is not present at all) so yeah permanent/semi is ok.

Don't update to 10.7.3, stuff get screwed with it. About the NVidia GPU, like i said some pages back, we have 2 options: 1. Modded Bios 2. A guy that's willing to code a kext file to force power the GPU.... oh wait there is a 3 option as well, Apple announced that this year's MBPs will have Nvidia GPUs... so fingers crossed.

@Doix

Ok great, so it sounds like if I use the flag CSTUsingsystemIO=Yes i will get C-States. Then if I extract my SSDT tables from windows, extract the APSS information and copy it into your SSDT file, then I will get all P-States. And if I then edit the SSDT turbo states so that there are only 3, I will only have 3 turbo states?

Sounds simple enough.

One more question though. Is there a way to change when a particular turbo state is selected? For example you said that with your 3-state SPSS file, the highest state would only be selected when a very demanding app was running? Which hex value would determine this 'demand level'? Examples would be fantastic to help me understand. I know how to convert hex to decimal by the way so don't worry about that =)

Once I have created my SPSS files I will upload them here so that you may add them to future revision of your l502x package to make it compatible with i5 revisions, if you wish =)

Thanks again for all your help!

[/color][color=#666666]
Name (APSS, Package (0x10)[/color][color=#666666]
{[/color][color=#666666]
/*  [u][b]Core Frequency (MHz)[/b][/u], [u][b]Power (milliwats)[/b][/u], [u][b]Latency (ms)[/b][/u], [u][b]Bus Latency (ms)[/b][/u], [b][u]Control[/u][/b], [u][b]Status[/b][/u] */[/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 3301 MHz */ 0xCE5, Zero, 10, 10, /* 37 */ 0x2500, 0x2500 }, //Max TS[/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 3300 MHz */ 0xCE4, Zero, 10, 10, /* 33 */ 0x2100, 0x2100 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 3200 MHz */ 0xC80, Zero, 10, 10, /* 32 */ 0x2000, 0x2000 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 3100 MHz */ 0xC1C, Zero, 10, 10, /* 31 */ 0x1F00, 0x1F00 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 3000 MHz */ 0xBB8, Zero, 10, 10, /* 30 */ 0x1E00, 0x1E00 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 2900 MHz */ 0xB54, Zero, 10, 10, /* 29 */ 0x1D00, 0x1D00 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 2800 MHz */ 0xAF0, Zero, 10, 10, /* 28 */ 0x1C00, 0x1C00 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 2700 MHz */ 0xA8C, Zero, 10, 10, /* 27 */ 0x1B00, 0x1B00 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 2600 MHz */ 0xA28, Zero, 10, 10, /* 26 */ 0x1A00, 0x1A00 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 2500 MHz */ 0x9C4, Zero, 10, 10, /* 25 */ 0x1900, 0x1900 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 2400 MHz */ 0x960, Zero, 10, 10, /* 24 */ 0x1800, 0x1800 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 2300 MHz */ 0x8FC, Zero, 10, 10, /* 23 */ 0x1700, 0x1700 },[/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 2200 MHz */ 0x898, Zero, 10, 10, /* 22 */ 0x1600, 0x1600 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 2100 MHz */ 0x834, Zero, 10, 10, /* 21 */ 0x1500, 0x1500 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 2000 MHz */ 0x7D0, Zero, 10, 10, /* 20 */ 0x1400, 0x1400 }, [/color][color=#666666]
           Package (0x06) { /* 1600 MHz */ 0x640, Zero, 10, 10, /* 16 */ 0x1000, 0x1000 } // Lowest possible frequency[/color][color=#666666]
})[/color]

^Non compiled chunk of code from my docs to make you understand what each column does.^

Without the SSDT, the max TS (on i7 processors at least) is 2.1ghz, if you notice in my SSDT, my lowest freq is 800Mhz (based on the auto under clocking) it doesn't really affect it much, what does matter are the code lines above 2100MHz, those represent the missing states. Keeping them Cursive ( 1 2 3 4 5 ) will make it easier to reach the 5th state, but let's say you want to reach it harder you will make it like this (1 2 5)

1.a ) That will get you C-States only, i should have specified that by using that flag as an extra to the normal org.chameleon.boot.plist from my package you should have sleep working.

Hello DoiX, I'm new in Hackintosh. I bought my XPS15 1 month ago, with the hope of running OS X. So I read your thread and got it working.

My L502x system is the following :

- i5-2430M ;

- 4G Ram ;

- nVidia GT540M

- HD Screen (1366x768)

- Dual Boot OS X 10.7.2 (thanks to you) & Win7

I've got a question about what you said concerning sleep. If I understand you, I've to replace the line "GenerateC-States=Yes" by "CSTusingsystemIO=Yes" and then, sleep will be working?

Because, about now, I have the A06 bios, and 0S X 10.7.2 with speedstep working but when I put the computer in sleep, it goes to sleep damn fast. Then I open the computer and the wake up is also really fast BUT my trackpad & keyboard aren't working (even my USB mouse or USB keyboard don't). So I've to shut it down with the power button (this one wakes up from sleep because the "shut down menu" appears when I press it, but unresponsive due to my trackpad & keyboard).

One more question : Does your trackpad get recognized and support multitouch? Because mine doesn't...

Thanks a lot for your time and all the great things you did, do and will do in the future!!

Rockb@ll. Sorry if my English is not that perfect, but I'm from Belgium...)

First I would look into ExFat. However if its similar to FAT32 as its name implies, then that would infer a maximum file size of 4 gb, along with other inferiorities compared to NTFS

If EXFat doesn't work out then it depends on what OS is going to be your primary OS:

For Windows being primary: I'd format the data partition to NTFS and install Tuxera for OS X

For OSX being primary: I'd format data partition to HFS+ and install paragon ntfs+ (Macdrive is another suitable option but I've run into issues with it0

Also your going to find reminants of the other OS's files whenever your browse your data partition (The .trashes, DS_Store and other OSX folders). It's easy to hide them in Windows through a simple scipt

exFAT doesnt have the 4GB filesize limit (its much larger)

Wich inferiorities does NTFS have over exFAT?

Windows will be my main OS, at least at this moment. (I never had a mac before, so I still have to figure out how everything works. And I have to use some programs that only works under Windows) So you would suggest in that case to use NTFS over exFAT?

If I use NTFS, can I still place my user filder on that drive? Because I think the partition will be writable after Tuxera is loaded. I dont know if that will be any problems. It doesnt have to be the whole user folder actually. Is it also possible to only place the document/pictures/etc. folder on another partition (ntfs in my case probably, or maybe exFAT)

Hello DoiX, I'm new in Hackintosh. I bought my XPS15 1 month ago, with the hope of running OS X. So I read your thread and got it working.

My L502x system is the following :

- i5-2430M ;

- 4G Ram ;

- nVidia GT540M

- HD Screen (1366x768)

- Dual Boot OS X 10.7.2 (thanks to you) & Win7

I've got a question about what you said concerning sleep. If I understand you, I've to replace the line "GenerateC-States=Yes" by "CSTusingsystemIO=Yes" and then, sleep will be working?

Because, about now, I have the A06 bios, and 0S X 10.7.2 with speedstep working but when I put the computer in sleep, it goes to sleep damn fast. Then I open the computer and the wake up is also really fast BUT my trackpad & keyboard aren't working (even my USB mouse or USB keyboard don't). So I've to shut it down with the power button (this one wakes up from sleep because the "shut down menu" appears when I press it, but unresponsive due to my trackpad & keyboard).

One more question : Does your trackpad get recognized and support multitouch? Because mine doesn't...

Thanks a lot for your time and all the great things you did, do and will do in the future!!

Rockb@ll. Sorry if my English is not that perfect, but I'm from Belgium...)

The keyboard/usb is DSDT related i think... did you patch the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext yourself or did you use the one from my installer package? If you used my patched files i recommend you patch them yourself as differences may exist between i7 and i5 patching. You need the original next btw (download it here: http://dl.dropbox.co...gement.kext.zip install it with next helper )

Here is how to patch it:

1.Download SpeedStepper for your version of OS X http://www.insanelym...pic=258611&st=0 and unarchive it.

2.Open a terminal window and write "sudo" then hit spacebar and drag and drop the unarchived file (speedstepper something) hit spacebar again and paste this /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

3. Hit enter and enter your password (it will be invisible) > Hit enter again... wait till it says patching done or similar.

*sudo without " "

exFAT doesnt have the 4GB filesize limit (its much larger)

Wich inferiorities does NTFS have over exFAT?

Windows will be my main OS, at least at this moment. (I never had a mac before, so I still have to figure out how everything works. And I have to use some programs that only works under Windows) So you would suggest in that case to use NTFS over exFAT?

If I use NTFS, can I still place my user filder on that drive? Because I think the partition will be writable after Tuxera is loaded. I dont know if that will be any problems. It doesnt have to be the whole user folder actually. Is it also possible to only place the document/pictures/etc. folder on another partition (ntfs in my case probably, or maybe exFAT)

If you use NTFS you can still put your user folder on the NTFS formated partition if your have tuxera installed. The consistentcy of if it is pretty decent; only one time did I run into an issue. The only truely bad thing about this method is using iTunes in osx. If you have a large library (I have 15,000+ songs) the songs take about 3-4 seconds to play after you click them. The only other annoyance is that you will have reduced read/write speeds due to the reverse enginnering that tuxera is doing to provide NTFS compatibility on OSX.

As for just moving specific folders in OSX to another partition. This is possbile and actually fairily easy. However the only annoyance I had was the icon in finder under the favorites section would turn back to respective folder specific icon. So for example the pictures folder wouldn't have the pictures icon to it, it would have the plain folder icon. While it could be more time consuming method I think this method may have a slight boost on speed because your library folder in your user drive wouldn't be moved and thus you wouldn't have the reduced read/write speeds affect any apps which depend on that folder.

I've found this information to help your with comparisions and disadvantages of EXfat

@ Doix :

You're right, I used your patched AICPUPM.kext. I'll patch it myself, but it's what I had already done a week ago, without success if I remember, but, let's try again...

I'll post the result in a couple of minutes.

Btw, thanks for the information!

And what about the multitouch (at least the 2-finger scrolling) with your trackpad?

Trackpad seems limitied to 2 finger scrolling which is quarky at best. No 3 or 4 finger gestures. Seems to be a hardware limitation

Oh OK, but, do you have some link to a kext that's working better than another? Considering i'd like to use the 2-finger scrolling feature.

And you say that it's hardware limited, but as far as I know, under Win7, it's possible to get the 3 finger gesture, with the Synaptics Gesture software. But, maybe it uses some "software-thing" to emulate this 3 finger gesture?

@DoiX

Hello again,

So I got my laptop up and running, but I still seem to have a few issues which I can't seem to work out.

1. Sound, do you (or does anyone here) have a copy of the kexts with the modified info.plist to fix the heavy bass problem? I read here that you need to delete a node in the plist or something but I tried and it broke my sound =(

2. Battery, I've tried installing the voodoobattery.kext as many ways as I can think of and repaired permissions, rebuilt cache using kext wiz, and am using UseKernelCache=Yes and it still isnt working. Any ideas?

3. 2 finger scrolling, My trackpad (and keyboard) are working but I don't seem to have 2 finger scrolling? I have used the kexts from the package. But in preferences under trackpad it says no trackpad detected, even though it is working?

4. Function keys for keyboard(sound, brightness etc., have you, or do you know how we go about getting these working?

I'm about to have a go at getting creating an ssdt table to get the turbo states working. I will report back with me results =)

Thanks again for all your help DoiX!

P.S the Full HD screen on this thing is AMAZING!! =D

@DoiX

Hello again,

So I got my laptop up and running, but I still seem to have a few issues which I can't seem to work out.

1. Sound, do you (or does anyone here) have a copy of the kexts with the modified info.plist to fix the heavy bass problem? I read here that you need to delete a node in the plist or something but I tried and it broke my sound =(

2. Battery, I've tried installing the voodoobattery.kext as many ways as I can think of and repaired permissions, rebuilt cache using kext wiz, and am using UseKernelCache=Yes and it still isnt working. Any ideas?

3. 2 finger scrolling, My trackpad (and keyboard) are working but I don't seem to have 2 finger scrolling? I have used the kexts from the package. But in preferences under trackpad it says no trackpad detected, even though it is working?

4. Function keys for keyboard(sound, brightness etc., have you, or do you know how we go about getting these working?

I'm about to have a go at getting creating an ssdt table to get the turbo states working. I will report back with me results =)

Thanks again for all your help DoiX!

P.S the Full HD screen on this thing is AMAZING!! =D

1. I used the one of AKennedy_4 zip file

3. Also here, maybe try the one of AKennedy's zip

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=272645&st=0&do=findComment&comment=1773272

Ok thanks ik_ben_Mark, I'll try that now and report back.

Now I seem to have run into another problem though. I have speed stepping working somewhat (still experimenting) however when I wake up from sleep I have no keyboard/trackpad?

Anyone encountered this issue that has resolved it?

Thanks for all of your help everyone. I will post a bit of a guide here once I have everything working to try to help people with some of the issue I have encountered =)