[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I finally have the time to install Lion on my new xps 15.

I tried to follow the updated instruction from page 11 and burned iAtkos L2 on a DVD RW, unpacked with TransMac.

But when I try to boot in it the Aktos loader stucks. At the place where I can 'press a button to continue' or ' press F8 for options...'

What am I doing wrong? I tried the same with iAtkos L1 but the loader gets stuck when I press a button or wait...

Thanks,

Owen

@ jkbuha I've just read on bios-mods and the other forum about your progress, congrats. I'll try this week to unlock the hidden menus using the knowledge i've gathered on bios-mods, but first, got to be sure the recovery process is working on my laptop. I'd hate to break this thing.

Edit: A07 Bios breaks sleep, you will be unable to wake your system. Probably the DSDT needs to be updated or the cpu power management kext must be repatched.

Thanks DoiX - much appreciated. We've unlocked almost everything we need for the GPU on the BIOS. Next step is to tackle the hidden options for the L502x and L511z. I'm not sure how to go about this - so if you have any insight let me know and I'll try and have a look when I'm back at my laptop. Most likely we will also need to modify the DSDT in the BIOS to correct some of the (horrendous) mistakes that Dell left in. I'd also like to see if we can undervolt the i7 though this is less of a Dell issue and more of a mobile sandy-bridge (although it can be done in theory via DSDT). Anyways - if you have any info let me know otherwise I'll keep all posted on any developments!

Cheers

jkbuha

Hi everyone,

I finally have the time to install Lion on my new xps 15.

I tried to follow the updated instruction from page 11 and burned iAtkos L2 on a DVD RW, unpacked with TransMac.

But when I try to boot in it the Aktos loader stucks. At the place where I can 'press a button to continue' or ' press F8 for options...'

What am I doing wrong? I tried the same with iAtkos L1 but the loader gets stuck when I press a button or wait...

Thanks,

Owen

Should I better try it with a usb stick? Don't know if it will help.

Did I forgot something?

Should I better try it with a usb stick? Don't know if it will help.

Did I forgot something?

This happens when you have anything plugged into the USB 3.0 ports. Make sure the only thing connected to the laptop is power and the CD

@jkbuha, I'm planning to use this tutorial i found somewhere on notebook or bios-mod forums (don't remember where) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16173714/Unlock%20Hidden%20menu%20in%20Phoenix%20BIOS%20Setup%20Menu%20Tutorial.pdf

I tried to underclock the CPU using DSDT, the turbo function of the bios overrides any value lower than what's hard coded in it. I read somewhere that blackosx bootloader (http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/tree/HEAD/branches/blackosx) is able to underclock, but i haven't really tested it beyond the "will it boot my system?" question - the answer is yes btw.

@jkbuha, I'm planning to use this tutorial i found somewhere on notebook or bios-mod forums (don't remember where) http://dl.dropbox.co...%20Tutorial.pdf

I tried to underclock the CPU using DSDT, the turbo function of the bios overrides any value lower than what's hard coded in it. I read somewhere that blackosx bootloader (http://forge.voodoop...anches/blackosx) is able to underclock, but i haven't really tested it beyond the "will it boot my system?" question - the answer is yes btw.

Thanks DoiX. I had used PBE previously but I don't think it can be used with our machines (kept getting ROM length wrong and No BCPs in what I believe is the main BIOS file). Let me ask around on the bios mods forum. I also believe that our BIOSes are PhoenixAward - if that's the case then we need an Award BIOS s/w modder. I'll keep you posted on any updates.

I'll have a look at blackosx and will let you know if I have any luck. My main issues with Lion at the moment are the HD3000 freezing if I have QE/CI enabled. The only way I can use OSX is if I delete the AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext - the display is still enabled to 1920x1080 but without acceleration. I hate Apple's intel drivers! :)

Best festive wishes to all

Cheers

jkbuha

"@Alex DeWolf OS X Supports all Intel 3000 HD versions, but just to be sure go to system information > graphics/display. There you should have 2 rows, one of them will most likely be named "Intel HD Graphics 3000" click on it and post the device id, if you don't have anything called Intel HD see which of those 2 rows has "bus: built-in" and again post the id of it.

The role of the DSDT is only to fix the output on the monitor if you have the 1080p model.

Can you please tell me where does the boot process get stuck when you don't use the Boot LE CD? Please boot in verbose mode (-v)

If i were to guess, the common problem when people say their Intel GPU is not working is the wrong system definition set, if i'm right, the boot process without -v flag will get stuck on a black screen or with -v on the last lines displayed maybe with some artefacts."

Here is the Intel 3000 information:

Display:

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel(0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0116

Revision ID: 0x0009

Without BootLE it stops here:

DSMOS has arrived

IntelThermal: CPU family 0x6, model 0x2a, stepping 0x7, cores 16, threads 0, TJmax 100

VoodooBattery 1.3 © 2008-10 Superhai, All RIghts Reserved, May 5 2010 09:52:50 64 bit

Mini9MuteControl: Setting to 0

Mini9MuteControl: done

com_lnx2mac_RealtekRTL81xx: Ethernet address 14:fe:b5:b1:e6:69

No GUI after this just the text above.

Alex DeWolf

@ Droix I have installed lion a billion times and i am experiencing graphic problems when i update to 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 i need your help I'm out of solutions

here is what i see in the console

**** Debug info for apparent hang in Main graphics engine ****

i think it might be the DSDT.aml

i am experiencing random freeze and some artifact on the screen

i also installed the newest chimera boot loader along with your DSDT.aml

i am also tripple booting win7 snow leopard 10.6.8 and lion

@Alex, uhm... that's deff a System Definition problem, use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and install a MacBook Pro 8,X system definition. You will boot fine then.

@One902002, you say you experience gfx problems when updating to 7.1 or 7.2 does this mean on 10.7.0 you don't have problems with it? If so, install the 10.7.0 Intel HD kexts oh and you can always remove the DSDT file and see if that helps.

Other: I'm gonna update the DSDT to fit the new bios update.

• Like 1

Simple method:

Download iAtkos Lion, burn it on a DVD/restore it to your USB stick, follow on-screen instructions, select the following at the customization screen:

post-167221-1318603063_thumb.png

Install, then boot with -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20 (if you experience some sort of Kernel Panic boot with this extra flag: arch=i686), if you encounter any other problem, boot with rBoot LE CD -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=2

SpeedStep in Lion:

*from previous post*

1. Follow those instructions SpeedStepper including the MSRDumper kext (LOAD IT FROM THE TERMINAL DO NOT INSTALL IN EXTENSIONS)

2. Set SMBios to MacBookPro8,2 - you can mess around with others and see your results

3. Make sure /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist has the following flags

<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

4. Back-Up and delete Sleep/NullCPUPowerManagement kexts

5. Copy SSDT.aml from archive to Root partition *see bottom of the post*

6. Reboot, use -v flag pay attention to

kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios <number>
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready

this means AICPUPM got patched correctly and you should have ST working.

I made 2 SSDT files:

9TS_SSDT.aml.zip

-9TS-SSDT.aml.zip uses 9 turbo states like real MBP 8,2 that allows your CPU to reach its max (2.9GHz) but if you are a heavy user like myself rendering and other stuff, this version is not good if you care of your laptops life span because it automatically goes to the max. Keeping it under heavy load most of the time heats up the CPU to 80ºC with no cooler pad. (Also included in pack)

3TS_SSDT.aml.zip

-3TS-SSDT.aml.zip uses 3 turbo states, so your CPU doesn't go to it's max TS (2.9GHz) unless there is a hard core application demanding it so the CPU heats up to only around 60-65ºC (which is better than on windows either way). The CPU will run under average conditions with a TS of 24-26 unlike the 9TS version which would go to 2.9 even from opening youtube. (Also included in pack)

Install the one you want by simply copying it to your root partition (where OS X is installed)

Hi guys,

I have installed the iAtkos L2 on my XPS 15 with the customized options. The only thing I could not choose was the 11.0.0 GM Kernel because it was not on the list.

1. Is that because of the L2 version? Should I take L1? Or is L2 alright too?

After installing I booted with rBoot and -v GraphicEnabler=no busratio=20 into my installed Lion.

The system boots but the graphic is of course slow and horrible. I guess now I have to install the kext files.

I can't come further at the Speedstep in Lion.

2. Is that what I have to do next?

I don't know how to include the MSRDumper kext in SpeedStepper and (LOAD IT FROM THE TERMINAL DO NOT INSTALL IN EXTENSIONS).

Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance,

Owen

I've finished analyzing the DSDT file from 06 and 07 bios... i couldn't find any differences, i'll look at them again tomorrow but for now i do not know why the system can't wake up from sleep, tried some code lines but without success. I fear it might be related to the GPU... i think it doesn't wake up from sleep... or maybe the bios changelog is incomplete and dell changed more than admitted. I have no idea so far, feel free to post if you guys have any.

P.S - also flashed the modded undervolt bios, didn't see any temp diff on OS X but that was expected.

Thanks to DoiX and AKennedy_4 `s continuous efforts I finally managed to install Lion on my XPS 15. Turns out my DVD-drive was faulty and since it was swapped out, Iatkos L1 booted flawlessly.

I basically just followed this detailled tutorial (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=272645&st=0&do=findComment&comment=1773272) and got everything except from wifi working. Just got some minor graphic hiccups left (random small horizontal lines etc.).

Btw., both provided sound kexts worked for me, I just had to set the output to the XPS speakers in system preferences and edit the described ALC kext to get rid of the heavy bass.

Dual boot with chimera also worked OK, yet I didn´t find a proper solution to make my Windows 7 partition the default boot device (I understand that it could be done in chameleon.boot.plist) and to set the timeout to something between 3-5 seconds. "Lizard" used to be a neat tool to do that, but that doesn`t seem to exist anymore.

So I just ended up trying to avoid Chimera/Chameleon and set the boot flag back to my windows partition (with Gparted Live CD) but found out that Chimera is still the active bootloader instead of the Windows standard ?!?. Any ideas on that?

My initial plan was to use standard Windows bootloader and add the Lion partition using easyBCD in Windows. Since all my important data are on the Windows partition, I wanted something easy to fix in case of crashes and find that windows can easily be fixed with the DVD and automatic startup repair. Using Chimera, I`m afraid this wouldn`t work anymore.

So I just deleted Lion angain and am about to start again from scratch, yet I`d still prefer to use the Windows bootloader instead of Chimera.

Can anyone provide help?

Hey bastick8, only a couple of ideas to solve your problem:

1) The easiest solution is to edit the chamelon boot plist. Two simple edits hide my data partition and set windows as the default boot partition:

To make windows the default boot partition add this to the boot plist: Original tut here. Be warned the label way didn't work for me. Also the original guide is missing a comma in between the x and y. So I added it here

open a terminal and type in

diskutil list

and hit enter

This gives you the hard drive device and partition id for your win 7 partition.

Note also the "Label" name if it has one - if it doesn't, you can boot windows and use disk manager to give it a name.

open your com.apple.boot.plist (or org.chameleon.boot.plist) and add the following key

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(x,y)</string>

where x = your hard drive id and y = your win7 partition

or

you can use the "label" of your win7 partition

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>"label"</string>

Make sure the label is enclosed in quotes.

To hide your data partition you need to go back into diskutil in terminal and take the x and y values for the data partition and add this to the plist too:

<key>Hide Partition</key>

<string>hd(x,y)</string>

2) (To use this method make sure you have the RBootLE CD handy) When you install Lion, run the show all files program and look at the root of your OSX drive. Remove the boot file by putting it on your desktop. Reboot, and windows should auto boot know that you've taken OSX out of the picture.(This method is the only way I got windows to recognize the bootloader) run the easyBCD program and reinstall windows boot loader, and then add OSX to windows boot loader. You should then be able to boot with the RBootLE cd and put the boot file back into the root of the drive and theoretically have dual boot windows boot loader

• Like 1

Finished analyzing the DSDT files, console logs with each bios version... i don't know what's messing with the sleep, i suggest downgrading if you are an avid user of sleep function (to downgrade the bios just simply download A06 and install it)

@Alex, uhm... that's deff a System Definition problem, use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and install a MacBook Pro 8,X system definition. You will boot fine then.

Ok this worked. USB is dead though. I am on 7.1 and am doing the 7.2 upgrade.

Also because the USB is not working no Bluetooth (I have a Bluetooth keyboard).

I also notice only one CPU is displayed in Activity Monitor

@ doix if i an install 10.7 and install intelfb kext everything works well and no dsdt it runs fine and if i install 10.7.1 and your dsdt and get freezes and this happens with 10.7.2 as well

@ doix if i an install 10.7 and install intelfb kext everything works well and no dsdt it runs fine and if i install 10.7.1 and your dsdt and get freezes and this happens with 10.7.2 as well

Well then... stick to what works for you.

@AKennedy_4: Thanks for your help. Just a few more questions:

1) The easiest solution is to edit the chamelon boot plist. Two simple edits hide my data partition and set windows as the default boot partition

2) (To use this method make sure you have the RBootLE CD handy) When you install Lion, run the show all files program and look at the root of your OSX drive. Remove the boot file by putting it on your desktop. Reboot, and windows should auto boot know that you've taken OSX out of the picture.(This method is the only way I got windows to recognize the bootloader) run the easyBCD program and reinstall windows boot loader, and then add OSX to windows boot loader. You should then be able to boot with the RBootLE cd and put the boot file back into the root of the drive and theoretically have dual boot windows boot loader

1.) Ok, got it. But still, there seems to be no way to set a shorter timeout to boot the default partition, right?

2.) That seems to be the way to go for me. Where do I get the "show all files program" from?

So once i removed the boot file from the Lion partition, the bootflag is set back to windows again?

What do you mean by "run the easyBCD program and reinstall windows boot loader"?

Just for my clarification on how to proceed, pls advise if possible:

1. Remove boot file from OS X partition (make hidden files visible before doing so)

2. Reboot, Windows should start automatially. If not, set bootflag back to Windows partition with Gparted. Boot Windows 7.

3. Start easyBCD and add a generic Max OS X entry to the default Windows bootloader, set preferred timeout. Restart.

4. Boot Lion with rBootLE.

5. put Bootfile back to root of OS X partition. Restart.

6. Windows bootloader should come up at startup and have 2 entrys, one default for Windows 7 and another for OS X, both operating systems should boot flawlessly.

Is that right? I`m still hesitant to try since all my data are still on my windows drive and I can`t allow to screw up something.

Hi people, does somebody know help for this?

Hi guys,

I have installed the iAtkos L2 on my XPS 15 with the customized options. The only thing I could not choose was the 11.0.0 GM Kernel because it was not on the list.

1. Is that because of the L2 version? Should I take L1? Or is L2 alright too?

After installing I booted with rBoot and -v GraphicEnabler=no busratio=20 into my installed Lion.

The system boots but the graphic is of course slow and horrible. I guess now I have to install the kext files.

I can't come further at the Speedstep in Lion.

2. Is that what I have to do next?

I don't know how to include the MSRDumper kext in SpeedStepper and (LOAD IT FROM THE TERMINAL DO NOT INSTALL IN EXTENSIONS).

Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance,

Owen

@AKennedy_4: Thanks for your help. Just a few more questions:

1.) Ok, got it. But still, there seems to be no way to set a shorter timeout to boot the default partition, right?

2.) That seems to be the way to go for me. Where do I get the "show all files program" from?

So once i removed the boot file from the Lion partition, the bootflag is set back to windows again?

What do you mean by "run the easyBCD program and reinstall windows boot loader"?

Just for my clarification on how to proceed, pls advise if possible:

1. Remove boot file from OS X partition (make hidden files visible before doing so)

2. Reboot, Windows should start automatially. If not, set bootflag back to Windows partition with Gparted. Boot Windows 7.

3. Start easyBCD and add a generic Max OS X entry to the default Windows bootloader, set preferred timeout. Restart.

4. Boot Lion with rBootLE.

5. put Bootfile back to root of OS X partition. Restart.

6. Windows bootloader should come up at startup and have 2 entrys, one default for Windows 7 and another for OS X, both operating systems should boot flawlessly.

Is that right? I`m still hesitant to try since all my data are still on my windows drive and I can`t allow to screw up something.

1) To my knowledge windows can't set the timeout to be lower than a 5 second value either

2) And yes those steps are correct and should work in theory. You won't mess up your windows partition at all since your just modifying the bootloader. The worst case scenario is you have to boot the windows repair disk or use RBootLE to reinstall chimera. As for the show all programs app, you can install that in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Also, EasyBCD has an option to reinstall the windows 7 bootloader. Thats what I was referring too

Hi people, does somebody know help for this?

Maybe this will help you

I got iAtkos L1 installed on my L502x now using DoiX and AKennedy guides together (I have the same specs as AKennedy, except 4GB) I have a few questions.

1. How can I fix the startup of windows? Because I have missing BOOTMGR now. Can I just use these commands: BootRec /FixMBR, BootRec /FixBoot and BootRec /RebuildBCD?

Or does this break the boot loader? If so, what can I use to fix this?

5.png

2. My audio hardware isn't recognized when I open Audio/MIDI-configuration. It was recognized one time before (don't know if it was this install) but I don't know with which kextx that was or if I used both kexts. Can you use both kexts at the same time or do I need to delete one if I want to try the other one? And were do I need to delete the kexts? Here? /System/Library/Extensions

3. I have the idea my Kext Wizzard isn't working properly anymore. In the beginning it selected automaticly my OS X target disk. But now it say Choose and I can only choose between Choose / Item 2 / Item 3. How does this come? I downloaded it again from the forum topic of (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253395 newer?) and it works again!

@ik_ben_mark, if memory serves, it will break chimera/chameleon, but that's not a problem, just boot with rBoot LE CD and reinstall chimera and it's gonna get fixed.

@Alex DeWolf, what about them? USB 2 are working perfectly... i got a usb hub so i can avoid USB 3 ports, although they are working relatively fine, on my machine if i unplug whatever it was plugged there, the CPU will go crazy due to some errors from the usb3 kext..