[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Can I also install it with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]? Because I don't know how to install it thru rBoot LE :wallbash:

What is the best way to check which audio Kext I need? Delete both, than install AppleHDA.kext thru Kext Wizard, then Kext Utility and finally repair permissions in Disk Utility? (Do I need to reboot after this?) Check System > Sound > Output? (or were can I check if my sound works?)

If it doesn't work, delete AppleHDA.kext again and import IOAudioFamily.kext thru wizard, utility, repair (reboot?)

And/or do I need to install both? And were do I need to delete the old Kext? Only in /System/Library/Extensions?

I also saw that there is an IOAudio2Family.kext in the Extension folder, is this right? Does it has the be there or do I need to delete that too?

So in summary about my audio.

1. Is my install method good? Kext Wizard > Kext Utility > Repair permissions ?

1b. Do I need to reboot after this?

2. Where can I check if my sound works? In System > Sound > Output?

3. If I want to delete kext (old audio in this case) do I only need to delete them in /System/Library/Extensions?

4. AppleHDA.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext are the kexts responsible for the audio right?

Erhm..... rBoot LE = Rescue Boot Laptop Edition CD... it's exactly what it says it is, a boot cd, nothing more, so of course you install it using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or the standalone package.

There is no best way to check what audio you need, afaik none figured out why some kexts are working and others not, trial and error my friend, trial and error.

After installing kexts it is best to reboot so the kexts get properly loaded. Just install via Kext Wizard every kext you find in the folder, or use my package and use kext utility to repair everything then reboot..

1/1b. Yes

2. Yes, it should be on Internal Speakers

3. Yes, only there, thats the only place where the kexts get installed.

4. THose 2 + an injector kext... in my pack it's Dell_XPS_ALC665.kext... without this it won't work

I insist on using my latest package (v5) in the Audio section, you have 2 kexts 502x and 702x, first try with the 502x. Kext utility > Repair permissions > reboot, if it doesnt work, install the 702x one. Same procedure.

Thnx DoiX for your answers!

But I am still having problems making Windows 7 boot again. I tried the standard Startup Repair and I tried the three commands mentioned above, but I can't get windows to boot.

I also tried this:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

But this also doesn't solve the windows boot problem. How did you guys fix this boot?

edit: I tried installing the kexts manual because that was advised in AKennedy_4 guide, but i tried you're package install and audio indeed works like a charm. The only thing i need to fix is the dual boot with windows 7

Windows won't repair it's boot loader with chimera installed over it. From memory, you have to delete the boot file in the root of osx partition and then repair windows boot loader. After that boot with RBootLE and reinstall chimera

@ik_ben_mark, if memory serves, it will break chimera/chameleon, but that's not a problem, just boot with rBoot LE CD and reinstall chimera and it's gonna get fixed.

@Alex DeWolf, what about them? USB 2 are working perfectly... i got a usb hub so i can avoid USB 3 ports, although they are working relatively fine, on my machine if i unplug whatever it was plugged there, the CPU will go crazy due to some errors from the usb3 kext..

USB2 is completely dead for me. If I plug in a USB hub in the USB3 ports, the hub is recognized but nothing else is recognized.

The bootloader thing.

@Alex DeWolf, what's your laptop model again(revision, month of purchase)? What DSDT are you using? Oh what version of Lion?

I will add that to the mental list of revisions to make. When's the last time you revised your lion package. It says v5 but I see changes in the GUI. Just wondering what changes you made. It's working for me now... At least after a reboot. Still wants to say their inproperly installed until I reboot

Well, the last change i made was saved as v5, honestly i don't remember what i changed/updated. I know that i wanted to update it with some recent stuff i fixed/update but i forgot what those were! The holidays were not good to my memory...

The bootloader thing.

@Alex DeWolf, what's your laptop model again(revision, month of purchase)? What DSDT are you using? Oh what version of Lion?

System Type: XPS XPS 15 (L502X) Ship Date: 6/15/2011 Country: United States

10.7.2 (iAktos L2)

No DSDT. I tried all the ones here and it boots to a blank screen.

1920x1080 or 1600x900 or 1366 x 768? ALso do you have by any chance some iDevice or another computer hooked up to the same wifi network?

If you do, configure screen sharing (System Preferences > Sharing > Screen Sharing > Computer settings ( anyone may request/vnc may control with this password).

Now install the proper DSDT for your screen, reboot, wait till you get the black screen then move to your other computer/idevice and connect through VNC to it. If i'm right you should be able to connect, then go to System Information > Graphics/Display > and take a picture with the BUilt-In display selected. While you are at it, test the USB 2 ports and take a picture of the Console app with "all messages" selected.

Windows won't repair it's boot loader with chimera installed over it. From memory, you have to delete the boot file in the root of osx partition and then repair windows boot loader. After that boot with RBootLE and reinstall chimera

I tried this but this didnt work. I got it working some sort of. But not completely right. I followed these steps:

diskutil list (to check on which disk Windows is installed on, I only got one internal HDD, so disk0. Rest of the disks were CD and USB in my case)

sudo fdisk -u /dev/disk0 (and then y to confirm)

sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0

p (or print. This shows the partitions)

f 2 (or flag 2. This marks/flags partition 2 as active. This is the Partition were windows is installed on. So I used the scnd partition because the first partition is the 100MB one)

w (writes possible changes to MBR)

y (confirm the changes)

q (exit fdisk)

After this I did automatic repair in repair tools with the Windows 7 install USB. It restarts and still gives the error of missing bootmgr. So i wanted to try the bootrec commands in repair tools to fix this, but when I choose to start from USB it automatically started Windows like it shoud. So I thought i solved my problem, rebooted with RBootLE and booted into Lion and installed the bootloader thru [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. After this I could start OSX thru the bootloader but still when I try to boot Windows I get the missing bootmgr error. So again, I tried to boot the Windows 7 install usb, but every time i try to do this, it wil automattically start Windows 7. I even changed the booting order in the bios but this doesnt change a thing. So the only possible way for me to start Windows 7 is to use the Windows 7 Install usb. But that isnt an solution. How can I fix this?

I think this can be caused because we need to use MBR instead of GUID.

Is there a way to get into the repair tools of the USB installer? I tried the same command in windows but they werent recognized there. Or can I fix this boot problem inside Windows 7 itself? Or...?

I tried this but this didnt work. I got it working some sort of. But not completely right. I followed these steps:

diskutil list (to check on which disk Windows is installed on, I only got one internal HDD, so disk0. Rest of the disks were CD and USB in my case)

sudo fdisk -u /dev/disk0 (and then y to confirm)

sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0

p (or print. This shows the partitions)

f 2 (or flag 2. This marks/flags partition 2 as active. This is the Partition were windows is installed on. So I used the scnd partition because the first partition is the 100MB one)

w (writes possible changes to MBR)

y (confirm the changes)

q (exit fdisk)

After this I did automatic repair in repair tools with the Windows 7 install USB. It restarts and still gives the error of missing bootmgr. So i wanted to try the bootrec commands in repair tools to fix this, but when I choose to start from USB it automatically started Windows like it shoud. So I thought i solved my problem, rebooted with RBootLE and booted into Lion and installed the bootloader thru [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. After this I could start OSX thru the bootloader but still when I try to boot Windows I get the missing bootmgr error. So again, I tried to boot the Windows 7 install usb, but every time i try to do this, it wil automattically start Windows 7. I even changed the booting order in the bios but this doesnt change a thing. So the only possible way for me to start Windows 7 is to use the Windows 7 Install usb. But that isnt an solution. How can I fix this?

I think this can be caused because we need to use MBR instead of GUID.

Is there a way to get into the repair tools of the USB installer? I tried the same command in windows but they werent recognized there. Or can I fix this boot problem inside Windows 7 itself? Or...?

I remember running into something like this. From memory, I ran Win7 recovery off dvd/usb and used DISKPART command in the recovery console to fix the MBR record for my hard drive windows partition. Windows has to be the 'active partition' otherwise it goes loopy apparently. After that, use BootLE to go into OSX, then use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install chimera, which should give you the win7 choice on next boot up.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2351&view=previous

I remember running into something like this. From memory, I ran Win7 recovery off dvd/usb and used DISKPART command in the recovery console to fix the MBR record for my hard drive windows partition. Windows has to be the 'active partition' otherwise it goes loopy apparently. After that, use BootLE to go into OSX, then use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install chimera, which should give you the win7 choice on next boot up.

http://www.tonymacx8...1&view=previous

Thnx! I used that page you gave. I used the scnd workaround with EasyBCD because I need my Windows to be hibernated. Can anyone cofirm I cant use hibernate in Windows with only the Chimera bootloader?

I'm happy I can finally use OSX and W7 and I dont want to screw this up by trying to get hibernate working with Chimera. But can anyone tell me if it is possible to get hibernation working for windows with that bootloader. Because I have now 2 bootloaders, and it would be nicer to just have one. (if possible the chimera one)

I dont need to use sleep persé in both OS. But hibernate would be nice

Hibernate saves the files on your hdd, bootloaders should no interfere with resuming of hibernation... it's like entering the bios prior to booting windows after entering hibernation, it won't/should not mess.

1920x1080 or 1600x900 or 1366 x 768? ALso do you have by any chance some iDevice or another computer hooked up to the same wifi network?

If you do, configure screen sharing (System Preferences > Sharing > Screen Sharing > Computer settings ( anyone may request/vnc may control with this password).

Now install the proper DSDT for your screen, reboot, wait till you get the black screen then move to your other computer/idevice and connect through VNC to it. If i'm right you should be able to connect, then go to System Information > Graphics/Display > and take a picture with the BUilt-In display selected. While you are at it, test the USB 2 ports and take a picture of the Console app with "all messages" selected.

1366x768

I have a MacbookPro and the L502X is plugged into my wired network. I will get try what you have suggested above.

Thanks for all you time and work on this, BTW.

Alex DeWolf

Well, the only thing i can think of is that you are using the FULL HD DSDT instead of the normal one... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16173714/DSDT-HD.aml.zip copy it to extra and add to org.chameleon.boot.plist

<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

Enjoy your fully functional OSXPS.

P.S http://bcove.me/t342ds55 I would so buy this if i'd have the money :D i like the slim-slick design.

Hi Doix,

I Am having problems in booting snow leopard 10.6.7 ( using macBook Pro early 2011 Intel hd graphcskexts). I am having no problems on lion 10.7.2 with my own DSDT with dual link patch. Am using the same DSDT but having prblems of scrambled screen on snow 10.6.7. If u have any ideas please help me.

By the way i have l702x 2630QM with optimus and full hd 1920x1080.

post-197843-0-77443700-1326260643_thumb.jpg

post-197843-0-26622300-1326260674_thumb.jpg

Well, the only thing i can think of is that you are using the FULL HD DSDT instead of the normal one... http://dl.dropbox.co...DSDT-HD.aml.zip copy it to extra and add to org.chameleon.boot.plist

<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

Enjoy your fully functional OSXPS.

P.S http://bcove.me/t342ds55 I would so buy this if i'd have the money :D i like the slim-slick design.

Thanks.

What CPU/GPU does the new XPS13 have?

Hi Doix,

I Am having problems in booting snow leopard 10.6.7 ( using macBook Pro early 2011 Intel hd graphcskexts). I am having no problems on lion 10.7.2 with my own DSDT with dual link patch. Am using the same DSDT but having prblems of scrambled screen on snow 10.6.7. If u have any ideas please help me.

By the way i have l702x 2630QM with optimus and full hd 1920x1080.

Sorry, my experience with Snow Leopard and the XPS laptops is limited, the install process and updates are quirky, pretty much the reason i decided to go iAtkos... i know a thread that may be of assistance to you http://www.tonymacx8...14acdaa9b87950d

@Alex, well like most if not all ultrabooks, it will only have a Intel HD3000, being similar to the MB Air

Edited by DoiX
  • Like 1

Hibernate saves the files on your hdd, bootloaders should no interfere with resuming of hibernation... it's like entering the bios prior to booting windows after entering hibernation, it won't/should not mess.

I tried to only use the Chimera bootloader, because hybernate should work. But I cant get it to work. I followed the work around:

First set your Windows 7 harddrive/partition as active. Boot it with your Windows 7 CD to do this. You'll need to open the recovery console. Command prompt.

Diskpart

DISKPART> list disk

DISKPART> select disk x (Drive, where your Windows is installed.)

DISKPART> list partition

DISKPART> select partion y (Partition, where Windows is installed.)

DISKPART> active

exit

exit

At this point it starts Windows when I reboot. No menu were I can choose which OS I want to start.

Second boot into MacOSX (RBootLE) and install [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Don't reboot. After that set your MacOSX partition/drive as active. Open Terminal:

diskutil list

[Write down your identifier. such as disk0s2.] -> in mine case OSX is installed on disk0s3

sudo -s

[password]

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

y

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

p

f 3[i need to use 3 right? The partition with OSX]

w

y

After this, I can reboot and start OSX with no problem. But when I try to start Windows I get this screen:

o7w1v9.jpg

(click for larger picture)

How can I fix this?