[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

I have a few questions.

1. There are two ways to install Lion, one by using iAtkos and one by using the retail Snow Leo install. I guess the retail way is the best way to go, but is that true? And what are the differences?

2. I dont have acces to a OSX computer nor do I have a DL dvd, is it right that I can still install Snow Leo > Lion to this computer? By first installing Lion by using iAtkos. Then make install the retail dmg to a usb and then go the whole retail route? (I know this is a strange route, but if a retail install is much better, then I guess its worth the effort right?)

2b. If this is possible, than I could also install the retail dmg to a partition on my harddrive? and install it from there right? That way I even dont need a usb-drive and it will go probably faster?

3. I got an Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 wifi card, I know it probably wont ever be supported for osx. But I still would like to use it in windows (bluetooth), because most of the time I use my ethernet connection (and this ethernet works in OSX right?). But I was thinking to get a usb wifi dongle for the rare occasion I need WiFi with my OSX install. Can someone confirm that the use of this WiFi dongle would work: http://www.buyincoin...oduct-2464.html , or if that one doesnt work, this one: http://www.buyincoin...oduct-4850.html

Both are labeled to be working on OSX, but those chinese webshops arent always reliable on their information

4. Is there an update for the 525M videocard? This Lion method only uses its intern intel gpu right? I read something about sometimes the 525M might work, but I dont understand this really. Is it true that in rare cases you can actually us the nvidia vidcard by the use of GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Are there some indication when the 525M will be supported? I have read this post, http://www.tonymacx8...=247955#p247955, but no futher update since 1dec (I know, thats just recent :) )

And what about the 540M support? Because the 525M and 540M are actually the same except the memory size. The 540M is only OC'ed with higher speeds right?

Btw, my system:

L502X

i7-2630QM

Full-HD display

4GB

525M

n6230 WiFi + BT

(sorry for my bad english, I'm just a poor dutch fellow ;) )

1. There are two ways to install Lion, one by using iAtkos and one by using the retail Snow Leo install. I guess the retail way is the best way to go, but is that true? And what are the differences?

True, I guess the easiest for me was the iAtkos

2. I dont have acces to a OSX computer nor do I have a DL dvd, is it right that I can still install Snow Leo > Lion to this computer? By first installing Lion by using iAtkos. Then make install the retail dmg to a usb and then go the whole retail route? (I know this is a strange route, but if a retail install is much better, then I guess its worth the effort right?)

2b. If this is possible, than I could also install the retail dmg to a partition on my harddrive? and install it from there right? That way I even dont need a usb-drive and it will go probably faster?

I suggest you get a iAktos and install it on a virtual machine(virtual box) and then make a USB bootable disk, worked for me flawlessly :)

3. I got an Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 wifi card, I know it probably wont ever be supported for osx. But I still would like to use it in windows (bluetooth), because most of the time I use my ethernet connection (and this ethernet works in OSX right?). But I was thinking to get a usb wifi dongle for the rare occasion I need WiFi with my OSX install. Can someone confirm that the use of this WiFi dongle would work: http://www.buyincoin...oduct-2464.html , or if that one doesnt work, this one: http://www.buyincoin...oduct-4850.html

Both are labeled to be working on OSX, but those chinese webshops arent always reliable on their information

Ethernet I havent tested but it has worked for most of them, no idea about the Wifi dongle sorry

EDIT : Ethernet works :)

4. Is there an update for the 525M videocard? This Lion method only uses its intern intel gpu right? I read something about sometimes the 525M might work, but I dont understand this really. Is it true that in rare cases you can actually us the nvidia vidcard by the use of GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Are there some indication when the 525M will be supported? I have read this post, http://www.tonymacx8...=247955#p247955, but no futher update since 1dec (I know, thats just recent :) )

And what about the 540M support? Because the 525M and 540M are actually the same except the memory size. The 540M is only OC'ed with higher speeds right?

I think Doix is working on graphic card, time will tell us :)

http://tonymacx86.bl...-17-update.html < I didn't test it, nor did i look at the source code (branch not updated yet) but i can tell you for sure that it will just act like a EFI String or DSDT mod to inject proper card info.

Anyway: sorry to the people that PM'ed me... i'm busy with my business and side work.

I am using the L701x audio kext. My left speaker audio quality is very flat, like a tweeter and the right side speaker is normal, anybody else experiencing this problem?

Check the balance settings in sound in system prefs

@DoiX: Didn't do anything to recognize my GPU except say Nvidia was the card now.

Check the balance settings in sound in system prefs

Its perfectly in the middle

And my web cam stopped working for some reason, any idea on how to fix that?

BTW have iLife'11 and iWork'09 updated and all works fine :) been using my hackintosh for the last 24hours non stop. Works flawlessly!

MacMan updated the source code, meh.. i don't get his ways. I'll post later my modified version of Chimera after i port my changes to the updated chimera branch.

What my version does: recognizes the card 540m cards, allows them (and others to use rom files) without getting "patching" error and i'm sure something else but i don't really remember now.

Edit: god damn it, can't find the file that contains my modifications -.-', i'll try to find my notes about the mods so i can redo them, i'm not feeling like browsing hours on google to find the info i need.

• Like 2

To anyone trying to update to Windows 7 SP1:

Hello' date=' I just recently got my hackintosh to dual boot with Windows 7 and SL, but when i try to update to SP1 on the Windows partition, I get Error: 0x800f0a12. I have both OSes installed on the same SSD and I feel that is what is giving me this error. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have the System Reserved partition on the drive selected as Active, so I don't think that is the problem either. Also sorry if this might be the wrong section.[/quote']

Win7 wants to be first in pecking order and will make difficulties for you when installed on same drive with other OS. Same thing happens when you boot on separate drives with OS X / Chameleon booting the Win7 drive.

Easiest solution is to take OS X out of picture - make Win7 drive first in boot order, do update and swap back. Not possible if you installed on same drive. So, try this - remove the boot file from the root directory and put it on your desktop or just delete it and reboot. (I hope you make copy of [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] on CD first or have bootable backup so you can boot to desktop and put boot file back when you get done.)

Without the boot file in OS X root, it should go straight to Win7. Update it, reboot, update it some more and again until it tells you that you are up-to-date.

Reboot with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] / bootable backup drive and re-install boot file in root. Easiest way is just to run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and select Chimera and system utilities and install.

Reboot and done.

I still have a few questions

2. If you have OS X, restore the install dmg to your USB stick, if you have windows you can use the previously mentioned TransMac or burn the iso of 10.6.8 on the dual layer DVD. (the pirates will help you with the iso, again)

If I read this correct, it is possible to restore the install dmg on a usb stick thru Windows (7) by using TransMac? (so no need of OS X?)

Is it also possible to restore it to a partition on the harddrive? (single harddrive)

3. Boot from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Legacy CD, then eject the CD and insert the install DVD / keep the CD and plug in the USB Stick. Now press F5 to rescan all drives.

*Notice, if you are using USB Stick install method you may have to restart the laptop and boot into [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD again so the stick gets detected.

If it's possible to restore the dmg into a partition of the same harddrive. Does this method still work? Because you say you need to insert the USB after you start with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], but you cant unplug a partition of youre harddrive :)

The Windows 7 installation. Does this have to be done before or after the Lion install? I think before because this is a MBR method, is that right? Or can both be done (if so, what is the best way to go?)

edit: does it really need to be 10.6.7(/8)? Because I only see 10.6 and 10.6.3 retail, arrr

I installed iAtkos L1. I decreased my D (Data) partition for this so I gained a new partition of 95GB (now I got 5 partitions: (nameless), RECOVERY, Windows NTFS, Data and Hackintosh)

After installing L1 I cant seem to boot it, I get the following message:

NTFS volume name RECOVERY, version 3.1.

How does this come? What can I do about it? I used the flags mentioned in the guide

edit: and sometimes I get the error Memory allocation error!

drdeviant, did you ever get your system fully working?

Mostly, thanks. Left out the speed step since I couldn't get it to work on my first attempt. Also, USB3 ports unreliable - tried reinstalling kexts for them, but things like a printer or an iphone appear to work but prove to be unreliably connected. Good enough for my needs.

I can only get the damned thing to boot with the bootLe disk after either the 7.1 or the 7.2 install. What is the problem iAktos HD 3000 install? What output from Linux will give me the information on the hardware I have, is lspci enough?

Also how do I get a dual boot with Linux (ext4)?

Thanks for reposting this link. Lots of interesting developments happening in the last few days.

If anyone here has a 15z (L511z) please let us know if the UEFI BIOS recovery method as detailed in the forum works for the 15z as well as the 15.

Also the new BIOS update A08 for the 15z is out as well. Lots to work on.

Next steps are as follows:

1) Ensure UEFI Crisis recovery works

2) Patch the 15/15z VBIOS to a 540/550 and/or undervolt it

3) Unlock the elusive hidden menus :)

Watch this space!

Cheers

jkbuha

Installing from iAktos L2:

I recently had to re-install after the Chimera 1.7 update broke the system. I've never used this distro before. The install went fine, but after the ext screen, the computer halts on the text screens.

I then hear the music playing in the background, but the screen is stuck on the text.

Boot flags:

-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=24

Install settings as per DoiX list.

Any thoughts?

@Alex DeWolf OS X Supports all Intel 3000 HD versions, but just to be sure go to system information > graphics/display. There you should have 2 rows, one of them will most likely be named "Intel HD Graphics 3000" click on it and post the device id, if you don't have anything called Intel HD see which of those 2 rows has "bus: built-in" and again post the id of it.

The role of the DSDT is only to fix the output on the monitor if you have the 1080p model.

Can you please tell me where does the boot process get stuck when you don't use the Boot LE CD? Please boot in verbose mode (-v)

If i were to guess, the common problem when people say their Intel GPU is not working is the wrong system definition set, if i'm right, the boot process without -v flag will get stuck on a black screen or with -v on the last lines displayed maybe with some artefacts.

@ jkbuha I've just read on bios-mods and the other forum about your progress, congrats. I'll try this week to unlock the hidden menus using the knowledge i've gathered on bios-mods, but first, got to be sure the recovery process is working on my laptop. I'd hate to break this thing.

Edit: A07 Bios breaks sleep, you will be unable to wake your system. Probably the DSDT needs to be updated or the cpu power management kext must be repatched.