Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon

MaLd0n

1,466 posts in this topic

i have been using this method to try and install lion on my setup but the furthest i get is when i boot off the USB everything loads then it looks like its about to boot properly but all i get is the nice new grey screen and i never get beyond that!!! left it 30 minutes one time and nothing...

as far as i can tell i have done everything exactly as shown in the first post... getting very frustrating tried it numerous times...

anyone any ideas???

1. What is the Boot CD link for in the original post?

2. I also get the mach_kernel not found when I follow this procedure. What would it take to edit the first post to add that step. It is a sticky post after all!

After reading the posts here, I was able to find and copy the mach_kernel to root, but I still got the same problem. I tried typing /Extra/mach_kernel (I know it is there) but it still didn't find it. Funny enough, if I keep trying, it eventually finds it (I know! it is ridiculous) and after seven to eight pages of scrolling text, it says loading Darwinx86 and reboots.

I have tried this several times now and I have the same results.

There are other variations to this post on various blogs. One tells you use FakeSMC and fix permissions, but others are pretty much the same copy pasted text. I haven't come across anything different to try.

When I first boot from the USB drive, I get the Chameleon RC3 with old build number. Even though the linked Chameleon is RC5 and higher build number. I have tried getting the latest Chameleon from Tonymac website and installing that instead but see the same RC3 text on boot. I have a feeling my problem is related to that. I have also tried installing Chimera on the partition but I still get Chameleon RC3 on boot.

My Lion partition is like the fourth partition on a GUID partition external drive. Could that be causing it?

Otherwise I have this Dell Inspiron 530 running Snow Leaopard flawless (with no sleep). I have tried copying the Extra folder, DSDT.aml and other stuff from my internal Chameleon partition to the external drive too. But that has no effect either.

Any help would be appreciated.

WTF.?'

This happens to me.!'

"If your system is stalling in verbose mode on [ PCI configuration begin ], install the IOPCIFamily FIX available in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.8.0."

How can i fix it.?'

/Extra folder on the same drive has that file. It is probably not visible. You can use a cp command, or get hide and seek to mke hidden files visible first.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilit...-and-Seek.shtml

Thanks man! Just got to back up all my stuff first, unless there is a way to install it on MBR instead of having to wipe everything as GUID!

hi, i was using vmware workstation to install lion. i downloaded the bootable lion iso and was able to go through all the steps of installing using vmware, however, like many others, i was stuck in the installing screen after selecting my hard drive, does anyone know the fix to this? help would be much appriciated!

i followed the video

instructions for lion installation in vmware

the installing screen is stuck at the moment right after the video finishes

many thx

trying to install on my brother's Sony Vaio VPCCW27FX

and i'm got as far as PCI Configuration Begin,

fixed with replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext & IOPCIFamily.kext

now i'm stuck here.

nstat_lookup_entry failed cache: 2

Specs

i5-520m

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

I deleted the cache file in S/L/C but no luck.

Any ideas? been searching for hours on google, tonymac forums, and this forum. thanks for any help, it's appreciated

trying to install on my brother's Sony Vaio VPCCW27FX

and i'm got as far as PCI Configuration Begin,

fixed with replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext & IOPCIFamily.kext

now i'm stuck here.

Specs

i5-520m

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

I deleted the cache file in S/L/C but no luck.

Any ideas? been searching for hours on google, tonymac forums, and this forum. thanks for any help, it's appreciated

From where did u get IOPCIFamily.kext.?'

and Where to replace.?'

Edit:

&

and if u say where to get AppleACPIPlatform.kext and where to replace would be very nice from you (:

Hi i try this method

but here i stuck

"After the restoration, open the restored partition, navigate to System/Installation, delete the Packages link and create a folder with the same name, Packages. (done)

Open Terminal and run the command:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages

(here i get an error "The file /Volumes/Mac OS X Install ESD/Packages does not exist)

where to find this....what did i wrong?

Copy the files to the Packages folder created previously. (see above)

Can some good soul please help me ?

Well so far so good but hit a problem so writing this in SL.

I have the following two adapters:

Wireless Network Adapter: Linksys WMP300N

Ethernet Card: Netgear GA311

After Lion install Wireless was working no problem but no Ethernet.

Check the HCL and found this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1711829

Copied across the 10.6.8 IONetworkingFamily.kext and rebooted.

Now I have the ethernet but guess what no wireless !

Hi i try this method

but here i stuck

"After the restoration, open the restored partition, navigate to System/Installation, delete the Packages link and create a folder with the same name, Packages. (done)

Open Terminal and run the command:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages

(here i get an error "The file /Volumes/Mac OS X Install ESD/Packages does not exist)

where to find this....what did i wrong?

Copy the files to the Packages folder created previously. (see above)

Can some good soul please help me ?

Hey did you mount the InstallESD.dmg ?

Mald0L, do you have any idea about the BIOS hanging???

(I used the same technique and had been successful with Lion DP4)

I followed the Mald0L steps with Mac OS X Lion.dmg (final retail), the result is I could not boot my PC from the USB stick, it hung at BIOS splash screen. Any idea?

My PC mobo is GB P55USB3L. I've had LP4 installed already

I have issue with all the newer version of Cham, it broke my WIFI hardware and also issue with restart, I'm on version 1078 now and WIFI and restart is OK on LION.

I did a new installation of LION, so I don't have sound and battery working.....

//Peter

Thanks MaLd0n, your guide worked perfectly for me.

I have a Core2 Duo CPU, 4GB RAM, Asus P5B-E Motherboard and NVIDIA 8600GT. To get the graphics card working, I've just put "GraphicsEnabler"="Yes" in boot.plist and that was it, no extra kexts needed.

The only thing I'm missing is the optical unit, sone Asus DVD-writer, any hints for this one will be appreciated, but it's not something vital.

Hi MaLd0n,

I saw your HACKBOOT LION! So, please MaLd0n, how it works ... What should I do to boot - install Lion from a DVD?

Can you post short guide MaLd0n, please!

Thanks

I used this method to install Lion on a P5K Pro and it work like a charm.

Now I'm trying to install it on a P5G41T-M LX (using the same USB stick but replacing the Extra folder and the dsdt file) but it always get stuck at the PCI Configuration Begin.

I've tried using the P5K dsdt but then it won't detect any HDD (Probably because the P5K uses ICH9-R and the P5G41T-M LX uses ICH7).

Any ideas ?