Apple Opens Up: Kernel, Mac OS Forge, iCal Server, Bonjour, Launchd

bofors

91 posts in this topic

I got an error. Any idea??

/Users/???/Desktop/xnu-792.10.96/libsa/ ] make build_all libsa RELEASE I386 /Users/???/Desktop/xnu-792.10.96/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386/libsa
creating libsa.o
[ updating libsa.o RELEASE ]
g++ -nostdlib  -static -r  -arch i386   -o libsa.o bootstrap.cpo catalogue.cpo c++rem3.o dgraph.o kld_patch.o kext.cpo load.o mach.o misc.o mkext.o vers_rsrc.o bsearch.o malloc.o sort.o strrchr.o strstr.o setjmp.o  /usr/local/lib/libkld.a
i686-apple-darwin8-g++-4.0.1: /usr/local/lib/libkld.a: No such file or directory
make[6]: *** [libsa.o] Error 1
make[5]: *** [build_all] Error 2
make[4]: *** [do_all] Error 2
make[3]: *** [build_all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [build_all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [build_all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Got it to compile yay.

andrews-computer:~ andrew$ uname -a

Darwin andrews-computer.local 8.7.2 Darwin Kernel Version 8.7.2: Tue Aug 8 21:20:32 CDT 2006; andrew:xnu-792.10.96/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Appears YukonOSX doesn't like it

So you were able to build and boot this new kernel on a Hackintosh??? Without any source changes? I must be missing something...

/blkblt

You need to compile the cctools, and one of the last steps of that is doing kyld_build

make RC_OS=macos kld_build

while in the cctools-ver/ld folder

it's one of the last things you do with cctools

does ld compile without problems for you ? what ver are you using

i get this error

ERNEL_PRIVATE -DAPPLE -DNeXT -DLIBSA_PRIVATE -c \

-MD -dependency-file ./get_toc_byte_sex.d \

-o ./get_toc_byte_sex.o ../get_toc_byte_sex.c

../get_toc_byte_sex.c:25:16: error: ar.h: No such file or directory

they have updated the build tools now http://www.macosforge.org/files/kernel-too...135.root.tar.gz

ive no words like always apple does an halfassed job.. stupid retards... wasting our time first with not posting xcode 2.4, then wrong instructions, then wrong build tools

oh well what do you expect from a bunch of retarded assclowns.

Ok it compiled now, to the questions if you can use this kernel out of the box on hackintosh , no you cant hehe, atleast base patch needs to be applied and you cant use the old one

DO NOT INSTALL this kernel on hackintosh systems.

building the kernel is easy.

the kernel and the kexts still have to be patched.

make ARCH_CONFIGS=I386 KERNEL_CONFIGS=RELEASE install

make ARCH_CONFIGS=I386 KERNEL_CONFIGS=RELEASE

"building the kernel is easy", uhm, that came out sounding wrong.

i meant it to mean something like, easy as opposed to the hard part, which is the patching.

and easy to screw up a working system, if you just follow the directions. :(

"building the kernel is easy", uhm, that came out sounding wrong.

i meant it to mean something like, easy as opposed to the hard part, which is the patching.

and easy to screw up a working system, if you just follow the directions. :(

yeah i know what you mean, i was just pissed off because i've wasted a day yesterday trying to compile it when it was impossible without the right build tools. Now let's hope someone skilled can see how to apply atleast base patch to the new one. It still needs serious hacking, it's a shame maxxuss isn't around anymore it would have been an easy job for him

it's a shame maxxuss isn't around anymore it would have been an easy job for him
You can contact Maxxuss through Ra_Will_Kill, by dropping Ra a PM to his box with a mail with your inquiry to Maxxuss. If you are nice to Ra he will most likely forward your message to Maxxuss, since Ra has Maxxuss' email address. Maybe Maxxuss has not even heard of Apple's recent move because who knows what he is occupied with right now, so it seems like a perfect time anyway to inform him, also inform him that the ones who tried here have been able to compile the source code so he sees the striving here.

Who knows, maybe Maxxuss is "itching" to continue messing with this now the source and everything is availabe - we won't know until we contact him.

Greetz,

Bugs.

PS: anybody consolidated with JaS for coordination, to see how far he has dug into this?

yeah i know what you mean, i was just pissed off because i've wasted a day yesterday trying to compile it when it was impossible without the right build tools. Now let's hope someone skilled can see how to apply atleast base patch to the new one. It still needs serious hacking, it's a shame maxxuss isn't around anymore it would have been an easy job for him

Fortunately, the build tools from 10.4.x build to the next are the same almost every time; you can check apple's opensource.apple.com and look under 10.4.6 x86.\

It would have been alot easier if apple released the versions to go with it in the beginning instead of having to search the internet for every different guide on how to build the darwin kernel, many of which are for 10.3 and earlier.

My guess is that the needed Xcode 2.4 was for newer assembly instructions that the previous build didn't understand; because i managed to compile everything else before with 2.3, but the kernel build would stop on an "unknown instruction"

But mainly what I did before Apple decided to finish/(make their guide work) was:

1) Download the cctools, Libstreams, bootstrap_cmds and kext_tools. as well as the IOKit package.

2) Copy ar.h from /usr/include to cctools/include

3) Build cctools, Libstreams, bootstrap_cmds. (I don't remember if you just need libstuff libmacho and misc, from cctools but many of the guides online said that)

4) Make Install/Copy that stuff in (some need to be added to a path otherwise the make for the kernel wont find them etc)

5) Go into cctools/ld and do make RC_OS=macos kld_build; and copy libkld.a to /usr/local/lib

6) To make IOKit do:

mv IOKitUser-297 IOKit
sudo mv IOKit /usr/include/.
sudo mv /usr/include/IOKit/kext.subproj /usr/include/IOKit/kext
sudo cp -fpr cctools-590.23.2/include/mach-o /usr/include/.
sudo cp -fpr cctools-590.23.2/include/mach/* /usr/include/mach

That will make it so kextsymboltool will compile, then copy that utility to a directory in the path; /usr/local/bin should work

7) Compile the kernel

A few notes would be that cctools may be ornorary when compiling, eventually I just went section by section I think and make install'd them before doing the whole package. Atleast one of the packages wouldn't compile completely for me, I think it probably was cctools, but the part that I needed for kernel building worked.

This is only if you want to make the kernel build libraries yourself rather than using Apple's provided build tools.

If anyone wants to know the exact versions of everything I used, I don't think I used odddevtools though, so don't download that:

andrews-computer:~/Kernel/kernel_manual andrew$ ls
IOKitUser-179.7.tar.gz.download cctools-590.23.2.tar
IOKitUser-297.tar			   kext_tools-65.2
Libstreams-24.1				 kext_tools-65.2.tar
Libstreams-24.1.tar			 oddevtools-1.3.pkg
bootstrap_cmds-49			   oddevtools-1.3.pkg.tar
bootstrap_cmds-49.tar		   xcode_2.4_8k1079_6936199.dmg
cctools-590.23.2				xnu-792.10.96
andrews-computer:~/Kernel/kernel_manual andrew$ uname -a
Darwin andrews-computer.local 8.7.2 Darwin Kernel Version 8.7.2: Tue Aug  8 21:20:32 CDT 2006; andrew:xnu-792.10.96/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Been running it for just about 12 hours now, it seems a tad faster :)

I would suggest, not to install the Chud tools with XCode 2.4. At least on AMD.

I did and boom, Kernel Panic at reboot. :help:

Had to delete the three Chud*.kext in Extensions folder to be able to arrive on desktop again. :)

does this make OSx86 legal then or what?

Absolutely not. There are only parts of OS X that are open source. Mainly their BSD foundation.

But it will make the kernels a lot easier to hack. To not lag far behind the real macs.

I wonder how long they will continue to offer sources like that. You have to admit -- it's a pretty smart move to get even more people interested in mac os.

Sort of leads one to think that maybe the cracking of intel os x was orchestrated by apple to get a free development testbed.