UPDATED 20.12. GenericBrightness.kext

ivik

674 posts in this topic

we managed to get a native GPUPM on Mini 311 by using LegacyAGPM developed by Master Chief, i think you could easily search it on this forum.

it is nothing to do with NVPM DSDT at all.

yes, u are lucky. I even tried it on my mobo to find that it did intensively cool the whole machine to about 5˚C less. but performance dropped drastically and I could not keep it: you faking a 9400m or ION with it if I remember.

Hi Bungo,

when GraphicsEnabler=yes. for display-cfg default value is <ff ff ff ff>

NVPM is <01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00>

NVPM as on slice's explanation : "seems to be NVidia PowerManagement aka GPU Speedstep"

needed ? No i don't think so.

Thanks. Tested NVPM key in my DSDT, doesn't do enything. Helpful topic: here.

Because of real MBP6,1 has the same (almost) gfx like mine, trying keys/values from it's IOReg in my DSDT and got native backlight controll. Mostly inserting pwm-info key did it. Now after reboot got always the same value, doesn't remeber the last level. Fighting :)

OK, I've tried injecting the pwm-info, but that doesn't have any effect.

The slider is still there, and still isn't moving at all.

So that was the PNLF injection option.

I tried also the second one, all.zip - but I get a kernel panic during boot when the GenericBrightness.kext loads up.

What else can I try?

OK, I've tried injecting the pwm-info, but that doesn't have any effect.

The slider is still there, and still isn't moving at all.

So that was the PNLF injection option.

I tried also the second one, all.zip - but I get a kernel panic during boot when the GenericBrightness.kext loads up.

What else can I try?

same symptoms here. Only way to get brightness working with the kext from all.zip is to boot with -f kernel arg.

do not forget to inject BRGT device (on first post). Then you 'd get brightness changing with the command tool and menu-let app.

hope this helped.

same symptoms here. Only way to get brightness working with the kext from all.zip is to boot with -f kernel arg.

do not forget to inject BRGT device (on first post). Then you 'd get brightness changing with the command tool and menu-let app.

hope this helped.

Correct!

When I boot with -f it also works and doesn't panic, but then I have to do kextload GenericBrightness.kext after system loads.

How do I change the minimal and maximal range?

Could you look into and correct the kernel panic problem?

Thanks a lot for your great help with this!

Cheers

Are you kidding?

It should work if brightness changing worked with BRGT driver.

Are you sure it is loaded?

kidding no, loaded yes

39	0 0xffffff7f807e5000 0x2000	 0x2000	 com.ivik.driver.GenericBrightness (1) <19 8 7 5 4 3>

I even tried to replace _bcl, _bcm & _bcq methods on gfx0 with the one you 've been putting on pnlf.

pnlf still shows zeroed values for max/min. same thing on appleBacklight.

p.s: if I boot with nothing than empty pnlf & GE=No I can see max/min not zeroed. but not on applDisplay though.

And try if brightness up/down command utility works.
:) yep, brightness up/down are now working. also menu-let is still working. Thanks.

what's next ? :)

Boot with -v option and take screenshot of panic if you can.

the good news is that at kernel panic's output: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily is no more showing under dependency.

the bad news: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily is still there.

I could not get you a screenshot, but here is the most important data (I think):

panic (cpu 0 caller ...) kernel trap at ..., type 14=page fault
Debugger called: <panic>
kernel extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
  com.ivik.driver.GenericBrightness (1) @ 0xffffff7807e5000 -> 0xffffff7f807e6fff
  dependency:
  [b]com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily[/b]...

I don't think you have to ask ivik about -f. It is bootloader property.
I don't follow u here. What is wrong with my request ?

@ivik,

This one made me stuck at kernel panics whatever kernel arg I used (-v -f -x and even -s). I needed to make use of some black voodoo magic to get my system back.

here is a kextstat (with your kext unloaded):

kextstat.txt

If u need anything else let me know.

Don't know then.

Something is messed with kext loading order or your system. Because it works with -f and if you load it manually.

It never KP's here.

It would be better if you get your native slider working and use PNLF driver.

Don't know then.

Something is messed with kext loading order or your system. Because it works with -f and if you load it manually.

It never KP's here.

It would be better if you get your native slider working and use PNLF driver.

Why don't you give valv the source code? I'm sure that he will try to locate the problem, because if it fails for someone like valv... more people will see failures as well. In fact it isn't working for me, and no. I'm not using his modified booter.

Also. Wouldn't it be nice when the kext worked <i>without</i> having to mod the DSDT?