[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

So I've been battling this HDMI audio outout for a while now. I know the DSDT being used currently supports it. Only if look at my IOReg I'm not finding my HDAU device. In fact my device for display shows up as VGA and not GFX. I also think this might be an audio kext issue. Here are some screen shots of what I see in the audio devices etc. Does this look in par with others?

post-434767-1289190198_thumb.png

post-434767-1289190220_thumb.png

post-434767-1289190232_thumb.png

post-434767-1289190258_thumb.png

Hi , I need some help , my installation was a successful , everything works , but now I have noticed that if I live the computer on for long , and it goes to sleep , or only the screen goes to sleep , I loose my DVD drive . It is not waking up , I get a message that no DVD drive is found . Any help will be appreciated

thanks again

UPDATE : I thing I got the solution , I just changed the JMicronATA.kext to a new 64-bit kext , and it seems to work better , I tested it and now my DVD works after sleep.

Thanks

Hey there Mammoth,

I think I can provide you with some help if you like. I recently bought the DV-7 version (HP Pavilion DV7-3150ED (WC161EA)), which has almost the same specs as the DV8t-1100 (VF836AV). There are 3 big differences which are:

- CPU (mine i5 430M, yours i7 720QM)

- Graphics card (mine G105M, yours GT230M)

- Screen size (mine 17,3 inch 1600x900 WXGA++, yours 18,4 inch 1920x1080 Full HD 1080p)

The rest of the specs are almost literally the same. So I think this guide will work for most of the DV7 users aswell.

NOTE TO ALL USERS: THESE LAPTOPS HAVE EFI!

I started experimenting with SL OSX on my DV7. First off I tried the USB method with myhack, without any succes. I couldn't get the retail image to boot (maybe because I didn't have a patched DSDT), so I tried the newest iAtkos distro as I did not yet owned an original copy of the Snow Leopard disc (but now I do as I want a Vanilla installation). This was a bad choice! Because of the distro not asking me where to install the bootloader (Chameleon), it overwrited my EFI partition! (The distro automatically installs the bootloader to the first partition of the hard drive, which is the EFI partition..) Which resulted in a brand new laptop that could not get past the bios, even not boot BootCD's or USB's. So at the moment I can't use my laptop at all because of the overwrited EFI partition..

This is a warning for al the new Pavillion users who are planning to install OSX on their laptop using distro's like hazard/iatkos etc..

Tip: just buy a retail disc of SL and install the bootloader on a different partition (follow Mammoth's guide, the guy is the best)

Mammoth, do you have any idea how I can solve this? Or is it neccesary to contact the HP Helpdesk and tell them that I tried to install MacOSX software on non apple hardware? :) I think I seriously damaged my desktop by messing with the EFI partition..

Finally, thank you for all your hard work and contribution to the community! I'm looking forward to the guides. Keep up the good work :wacko:

Erik

The same thing happened to me. I was stuck at boot. I happened to have a Linux Mint DVD. I had to install Linux over everything, then Insert my Windows 7 Install disc and reinstall. Just a couple extra steps but I got my laptop working again. I think Hirens boot CD will work and boot using mini linux and use gpartition and repartition your ENTIRE hard disk. Hope this works for you.

Hi Mammoth,

I have tried every flag combination imaginable. With no success.

-v -x cpus=1 busratio=17 maxmem=4096 none.

I have a i5-450M, 6GB Ram, HP DV6 ct3000 Pavilion Notebook and I have gotten with the combination of flags either a Apple screen that says reboot by holding down power button or going through 20 pages of text and never going by the phrase... "DSMOS has arrived"

I am completely lost and would really appreciate some help. I have read the entire thread a couple times. Am I missing something or was it just not meant to be?

Any help from anyone that is would be greatly appreciated.

-Jugz

Hi Mammoth,

I have a i5-450M, 6GB Ram, HP DV6 ct3000 Pavilion Notebook and I have gotten with the combination of flags either a Apple screen that says reboot by holding down power button or going through 20 pages of text and never going by the phrase... "DSMOS has arrived"

I am completely lost and would really appreciate some help. I have read the entire thread a couple times. Am I missing something or was it just not meant to be?

-Jugz

Try using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy worked for me

Hi Mammoth and all of you.

Finally got my dv6 2150eg back.

Tried yahemias boot cd and besides from having to reboot after step 6 (for whatever reason) things went smooooooth this time.

Everything is working (skipped on the sdcard kext and vodoo battery since i had troubles with those before) including, speedstep (YES!!), cam, ir remote, etc...system seems to run more stable than ever and i got performance increase (thanks to speedstepping).

No more KPs when running on battery or unplugging the powerchord (which i guess relates to vodoobattery...maybe).

Overall...great Job guys.

Thanks a million.

Have a nice one.

greetz dragonsoul

Hi Mammoth. Very nice guides! I am looking to install SL On my HP Laptop. The one I have is different than the one you had so I'm not sure if it will totally work. I read your guides and I feel like I am ready, haha. I just would like to know if I would be able to do it. Here are my system Specs.

SYSTEM SPECS:

-Model Number:

HP Pavilion dm4-1065dx

-Processor:

Intel® Core™ i5-430M Dual Core processor (2.26GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz

-Graphics:

Intel® HD Graphics [HDMI, VGA]

-Memory:

Samsung 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)

Serial Number: 47A88D54

Part Number: M471B5673FH0-CH9

-HDD:

500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

-Optical Drive:

SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

-Netowrking:

Broadcom 4313AGN 802.11a/b/g/draft-n WiFi Adapter (Wireless)

Integrated 10/100/1000Gigabit Ethernet LAN RJ-45 connect (NIC Card)

-Audio:

Dolby™ audio + Altec Lansing speakers

-Chipset:

Intel HM55 Express

-Motherboard:

Hewlett-Packard 146A KBC Version 58.1A

I just completely reinstalled OSX using Yehia Amer's instructions, and none of the kexts seem to be working whatsoever. I also can't seem to start up without using the "cpus=1" flag...

Could this be because I accidentally installed 10.6.5?

If anyone has any clues for me I'd really appreciate it, this is really strange - I followed the instructions to the letter, twice and have had the same problem both times...

Let me know what you think!

I just completely reinstalled OSX using Yehia Amer's instructions, and none of the kexts seem to be working whatsoever. I also can't seem to start up without using the "cpus=1" flag...

If anyone has any clues for me I'd really appreciate it, this is really strange - I followed the instructions to the letter, twice and have had the same problem both times...

As far as I know, you guys are using a legacy kernel and I suggest you wait for a while so someone can come up with a legacy kernel for 10.6.5.

Yeah, that's an idea I had, would that effect the kexts loading too?

I'm trying to roll back to 10.6.4 right now...

I didn't realizing I was updating to 10.6.5, I was just coincidentally reinstalling today, and didn't realize they had rolled out the update today.

thanks for the quick reply!

Update: So yeah, I thoguht my problem was that I installed the 10.6.5 update rather than 10.6.4, but restarting and installing the 10.6.4 update didn't help me.

To clarify, this is with the Amer boot CD.

No extensions are loading, and I can't even start up without the cpus=1 flag.

One thing I've noticed that's different, is that my computer seems to be recognized as an iMac. Should I be doing the MacBook Pro update 1.3 similar to what was done in the Mammoth boot CD?

I'm pretty confused as to what's going on, and now after all that it seems to be getting stuck at the NTFS 3,1 point in the loading screen.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks again to everyone who made these guides possible, too...

Installed on a HP DV8-1290eo using the yehia Amer method, and everything works except that trackpad is messed up and there's no battery icon. Since trackpad is important, and the fact that it's hardly working, I will now try the mammoth method instead.

to THE PATIENT,

If you read my post on the last page, I had the same problem , if you have to use CPUS=1 after installation is because after you do the update to 6.4 , the update is putting the AppleProfileFamily.kex back , making the 64 bit kernel not able to work, after update you need to delete this kext , in order to boot with out CPUS=1 .

hope it helps..........

My DV8-1290eo (WN916EA) is now running OS X 10.6.4 using a combination of mammoth's and yehia Amer's guides and boot cds. This is what I did:

1. Used mammoth's 1.10 guide to install the base system. Did everything in there, except a OS X recovery partition.
  2. Used the 1.15 guide from mammoth to get a new kernel etc.
  3. Used the k7 tool on yahia Amer's boot cd to get audio working. Also used the DSDT from him.
  4. Updated to Chameleon 2 RC5 rev. 629

With the D-Link DWA-140, using Ralink drivers, I now have pretty much everything I want working. However, for some reason, sleep isn't working. And that's where I am now, trying to get sleep to work. Not sure why it isn't working, maybe because I mixed the two methods and extras. Going to try and get this last pretty crucial thing working as well.

I want to thank everyone in this thread who has contributed to an amazing resource!

Some information about the specs of the computer that's working well:

• 1.60 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor (correctly identified)
  • 6 GB DDR3 (1 x 2048 MB + 1 x 4096 MB) (all available and identified at the correct speed etc)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M Graphics (full support)
  • Bluetooth (thanks to whoever it was in this thread who mentioned you have to press the wireless button to get it working!!) with Magic Mouse.
  • Audio (works fine, buttons on keyboard works to control volume)

Current issues:

• The speaker noise mentioned in mammoth's 1.15 guide. Haven't had time to see if there's a fix for this, if there is, I'd appriciate if someone could point me to it! It's really annoying at times ;p
  • Sleep issues. Have only tried deep sleep, which doesn't work at all. My own fault, looking for a solution.
  • I want the OS X boot graphic, and I managed to get that working at some point, but no more. Simple solution, I'm sure. (EDIT: the -v boot flag had somehow made its way back into my config..)

I will do my best to help other people get their Hackbook working well, and I think everyone who's helped out even a little in this thread should be very proud!

Mammoth can you help me? I'm getting stuck at dsmos had arrived? I do not have it installed so I can't delete the dsmos.kext and replace with fakesms.kext like everyone says

Hello XPack,

I wish I could, but I am swamped with so many things I just don't have a lot of time right now.

You might be talking about the well known issue which is covered on the very first post of this thread, so check there. If so, it's a quick, easy fix.

I hope to be able to get some time in the future and catch up on everything, I just can't right now.

Sorry.

Try google: pcwiz dual boot time fix

Then you can find it at the first result.

Thanks JY371!

I haven't had time to check this, but I will make time as this is very high on my list of problems. I switch back and forth between OS X and Win 7 a lot, and it's a real pain to have to keep resetting the time.

Thanks for the info!

If anyone else finds this info and that it works, I would like to hear.

Thanks!

Hi Mammoth,

-Jugz

Hi Jugz,

Most people who have had troubles were able to be completely successful by starting over from scratch and following the guides EXACTLY as written. I know how it is myself, you're going through this long process and it "seems" like it would be faster or "ok" to do "this step" just "a little differently". Opps!

Anyone who ever had a problem eventuly came back saying they got it all working by doing it again, and "by the book".

; )

Hi Mammoth and all of you.

Finally got my dv6 2150eg back.

Tried yahemias boot cd and besides from having to reboot after step 6 (for whatever reason) things went smooooooth this time.

Everything is working (skipped on the sdcard kext and vodoo battery since i had troubles with those before) including, speedstep (YES!!), cam, ir remote, etc...system seems to run more stable than ever and i got performance increase (thanks to speedstepping).

No more KPs when running on battery or unplugging the powerchord (which i guess relates to vodoobattery...maybe).

Overall...great Job guys.

Thanks a million.

Have a nice one.

greetz dragonsoul

That's Awesome DrangonSoul!

I love and appreciate hearing from those who got it working and took a little time still to share with us all! Thank you too! ; )

Hi Mammoth. Very nice guides! I am looking to install SL On my HP Laptop. The one I have is different than the one you had so I'm not sure if it will totally work. I read your guides and I feel like I am ready, haha. I just would like to know if I would be able to do it. Here are my system Specs.

SYSTEM SPECS:

-Model Number:

HP Pavilion dm4-1065dx

-Processor:

Intel® Core™ i5-430M Dual Core processor (2.26GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz

-Graphics:

Intel® HD Graphics [HDMI, VGA]

-Memory:

Samsung 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)

Serial Number: 47A88D54

Part Number: M471B5673FH0-CH9

-HDD:

500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

-Optical Drive:

SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

-Netowrking:

Broadcom 4313AGN 802.11a/b/g/draft-n WiFi Adapter (Wireless)

Integrated 10/100/1000Gigabit Ethernet LAN RJ-45 connect (NIC Card)

-Audio:

Dolby™ audio + Altec Lansing speakers

-Chipset:

Intel HM55 Express

-Motherboard:

Hewlett-Packard 146A KBC Version 58.1A

Hi there Jchiera,

I don't know so I can't say if it will work, but just back everything up and give it a try. If it does work, we'd love to hear about it and if not, there a plenty of people here who can help you figure it out.

Hi The-Patient,

I don't know what your system specs are (you might want to add them to your profile in the "Signature" area of your InsanelyMac profile).

10.6.5 very well could be the problem... in fact, probably is because it will over-write our modified kernel. Use the 1.15 Update guide instructions to put back the modified kernel we must use. Also, with 10.6.5, it means we should probabley get a new kernel created based on that. We will have to contact those who helped us with that before (they are mentioned in the Update guide). Sorry, but I have been out of the loop lately so I am not able to do this myself at this time.

CAUTION: Back up your systems BEFORE messing with the new 10.6.5 point release!

I found this site which may have some great info and help for everyone:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

As far as I know, you guys are using a legacy kernel and I suggest you wait for a while so someone can come up with a legacy kernel for 10.6.5.

Yep, you beat me to it. 100% correct.

Contact those I listed in the Update guide to see if they can help us. If someone would put together an instruciton manual on how to do this, so we could all learn, that would be awesome!

Yeah, that's an idea I had, would that effect the kexts loading too?

I'm trying to roll back to 10.6.4 right now...

I didn't realizing I was updating to 10.6.5, I was just coincidentally reinstalling today, and didn't realize they had rolled out the update today.

thanks for the quick reply!

You know, that's something I meant to add to the most recent guides and I don't think I did. I told everyone to be careful with point releases, but I think I forgot to tell people to TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES! Please do that from this point forward so this doesn't happen to you. They are OFF on all three of my Hacks.

Update: So yeah, I thoguht my problem was that I installed the 10.6.5 update rather than 10.6.4, but restarting and installing the 10.6.4 update didn't help me.

To clarify, this is with the Amer boot CD.

No extensions are loading, and I can't even start up without the cpus=1 flag.

One thing I've noticed that's different, is that my computer seems to be recognized as an iMac. Should I be doing the MacBook Pro update 1.3 similar to what was done in the Mammoth boot CD?

I'm pretty confused as to what's going on, and now after all that it seems to be getting stuck at the NTFS 3,1 point in the loading screen.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks again to everyone who made these guides possible, too...

I have not had the time to look at, let alone try, Yehia Amer's boot disc, so I won't be able to help you there. I am planning to look at his CD, and update everything to get us back to a solid, updated installation process with all the new developments, but I don't have the time right now; however, I have said that once the new 10.6.5 point release came out, I would. But don't hold your breath too soon as I just can't to it right now.

If you installed the Repair version of OS X, you can boot into that and then back stuff up, or work on your main install. Turn off the automatic updates (already mentioned) and make .DMG backup next time when you DO intend to install a point release.

My DV8-1290eo (WN916EA) is now running OS X 10.6.4 using a combination of mammoth's and yehia Amer's guides and boot cds. This is what I did:

Thanks X for posting your success and for expressing your gratitude. Glad I could be part of the helping team. ; ) Also thanks for taking the extra step to share the steps you took to get things working.

You're off to a great start; I'm sure you will be able to solve the other issues with just a little time.

Thank you Mammoth for your reply! I will go ahead and try this. If it works I will let you all know :) And if it doesn't well then... Haha

I just updated to 10.6.5 on my DV8 using the vanilla kernel by switching over to using Meklort's branch of Chameleon that has a kernel patch module for the HP lapic BIOS bug. (32bit only)

AppleHDA is replaced with the 10.6.5 update, so no sound until I patch it again, however Meklort is also working on some boot loader patching code for this as well! (not working yet)

Hi Mammoth. Well, I am trying to install OS X. I have "found" an iso if 10.6.3 and burned it to a DL DVD. I insert the Mammoth Boot CD (newest version) and restart my computer and it boots from the CD. I then insert my DVD and wait about 15 seconds and then press F5. It shows the Install Snow Leopard DVD and I press Enter. It then loads some kexts and theres some other text. I didn't get to record it because it happened pretty fast. Well this only takes place pver about 10-15 seconds and then my computer restarts and then boots into Windows again. Why isn't it Booting into the SL DVD? I also have my BIOS settings exactly like your guides say. Do I need to install Cham on my hard drive or something? If so how?