Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

I've tried to duplicate the approach maleorderbride followed, but with the latest versions of everything. I consider this a beta version because while it appears to work well, I haven't tested it thoroughly. For now, use it at your own risk. I couldn't have done this without maleorderbride's work to build on, and I hope people will test this and help find bugs.

The files should work with any CPU or RAM the motherboard supports, and any graphics card Chameleon supports. As with maleorderbride's files, these file are intended to all be used together. The DSDT file assumes a current build of Chameleon newer than the last release, and also assumes the audio solution being used.

The install files attachment has everything need to do an installation. Chameleon is the current trunk build, r698. DSDT.aml is derived from the FE BIOS, with all of d00d's current edits, omitting those not needed for recent versions of Chameleon. The JMicron kext for the eSATA ports is updated to version 0.8, the same as in the latest version of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. The audio solution uses the same AppleHDA.kext, but uses Tonymac's new AL8xxHDA.kext instead of Legacy889HDA.kext. This is equivalent to using AppleHDA rollback and ALC8xxHDA in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. This is the only AppleHDA-based solution I found which allowed the front headphone jack to work. Smbios.plist includes a memory speed setting, which for me is 1600. This is cosmetic, and has no effect on performance. The ethernet driver is the new one from Lnx2Mac, which has been reported to have better performance than the RealtekR1000 kext.

The support files attachment has Chameleon doc files, and the i386 boot files, for people who install Chameleon manually instead of using the installer. It also has DSDT files for BIOS FE before editing, after editing, and a version without the HDEF audio patch. That may be necessary for some audio solutions. The DSDT dsl files are included. Search for EDIT in the dsl files to see where changes were made. Finally, the latest Intel command line DSDT compiler, iasl, is included.

Not all of d00d's patches are for the DSDT. For his complete solution, I suggest reading through post #1 of his thread at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771. D00d keeps post #1 updated with the latest info. The fakesmc patch there has already been included in my files.

works fine? is 32bit mode?

For 64-bit mode, change line 22 of com.apple.Boot.plist from i386 to x86_64. That should work, but I won't be able to test it myself until later this week.

actually I believe that if you just omit that line osx should default to 64bit; in few words you don't need x86_64... however I will test everything as soon as I get a new hard-disk in order to have a clone copy where to try it.

Anyone upgrade to 10.6.6?

Anyone upgrade to 10.6.6?

The files I posted were prepared and tested using 10.6.6. As far as I can tell, there are no problems upgrading from 10.6.5 to 10.6.6. As always, if you have modified versions of Apple kexts, you may have to reinstall them.

The files I posted were prepared and tested using 10.6.6. As far as I can tell, there are no problems upgrading from 10.6.5 to 10.6.6. As always, if you have modified versions of Apple kexts, you may have to reinstall them.

Yes your files work fine indeed, I have updated to 10.6.6 and FE all is fine and 64bit.

I have just one doubt do I have to enable c3/c5/c7 states on the bios setup?

Yes your files work fine indeed, I have updated to 10.6.6 and FE all is fine and 64bit.

I have just one doubt do I have to enable c3/c5/c7 states on the bios setup?

Thanks for testing. That version of Chameleon with that com.apple.Boot.plist will generate C states, so you would normally want to enable them in the BIOS unless you didn't want to use them.

Thanks for testing. That version of Chameleon with that com.apple.Boot.plist will generate C states, so you would normally want to enable them in the BIOS unless you didn't want to use them.

thanks,

tutorial best config the bios?

thanks,

tutorial best config the bios?

Update to the latest BIOS version from Gigabyte's website using Qflash and a USB stick. Then set everything to defaults.

Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker:

Go to Voltages and change the RAM voltage to whatever it says on the RAM stick. Usually 1.5 or 1.65.

Go to Integrated Peripherals:

Enable AHCI for all HDD controllers

Go to Advanced:

Enable QuickBoot

Power Management Setup:

HPET mode to 64-bit

Go back to the main menu and save your changes to a profile.

If you change any of the settings for energy savings then you will likely have a performance hit in OS X. You need to leave C1E, Intel Speedstep, and other settings alone--if using C/P states in OS X.

Update to the latest BIOS version from Gigabyte's website using Qflash and a USB stick. Then set everything to defaults.

Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker:

Go to Voltages and change the RAM voltage to whatever it says on the RAM stick. Usually 1.5 or 1.65.

Go to Integrated Peripherals:

Enable AHCI for all HDD controllers

Go to Advanced:

Enable QuickBoot

Power Management Setup:

HPET mode to 64-bit

Go back to the main menu and save your changes to a profile.

If you change any of the settings for energy savings then you will likely have a performance hit in OS X. You need to leave C1E, Intel Speedstep, and other settings alone--if using C/P states in OS X.

Your opinion this

http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/07/optima...figuration.html

I have been testing a bit and can't manage to have front audio working but apart from that system seems stable; however i noticed a decrease in performance on geekbench from about 10,050 to 9,930 not a big deal and if a change the dsdt it seems to get back to the previous range.

Now I am no expert at all and I was wandering what might that be in this dsdt that is changing the scores (It might even not be safe to run it since it was made for the FB bios I guess).

I leave it to @maleorderbride and @dougaa you two seem knowing how to therefore here is my old dsdt dsdt.aml.FB.txt I had to rename it to .txt to upload :P see if you can compare your new edits with this old one and figure it out.

Thanks a lot for for helping us without people like you I would have never been able to run osx...

I have been testing a bit and can't manage to have front audio working but apart from that system seems stable; however i noticed a decrease in performance on geekbench from about 10,050 to 9,930 not a big deal and if a change the dsdt it seems to get back to the previous range.

Now I am no expert at all and I was wandering what might that be in this dsdt that is changing the scores (It might even not be safe to run it since it was made for the FB bios I guess).

I leave it to @maleorderbride and @dougaa you two seem knowing how to therefore here is my old dsdt dsdt.aml.FB.txt I had to rename it to .txt to upload :P see if you can compare your new edits with this old one and figure it out.

Thanks a lot for for helping us without people like you I would have never been able to run osx...

Are you saying that if you use my files with the FE bios, geekbench is 9,930, but if you keep everything else the same and use the DSDT you uploaded, the geekbench is 10,050? As far as the front audio, that definitely works for me.

Are you saying that if you use my files with the FE bios, geekbench is 9,930, but if you keep everything else the same and use the DSDT you uploaded, the geekbench is 10,050? As far as the front audio, that definitely works for me.

Yes I keep all the same and change only dsdt...

The scores varies though but on average are 100 points above your dsdt. Does it make any difference for you?

Yes I keep all the same and change only dsdt...

The scores varies though but on average are 100 points above your dsdt. Does it make any difference for you?

I compared your DSDT and mine. I only saw one difference which seemed like it could affect the benchmark. Your DSDT has entries for the processors for 11 PStates, which is a CPU-specific change for the i7-930 and Xeon W3530. My DSDT and also maleorderbride's don't include those changes, but instead rely on Chameleon to insert the states. Doing that has the advantage of not being CPU-specific, because Chameleon will add the appropriate states for the CPU it's running on.

Did you use my complete set of files, including my version of Chameleon, and my com.apple.Boot.plist? That's necessary to get the same processor states defined as in your DSDT.

I didn't try using your DSDT because it's for an i7-930, and I have an i7-950.

I compared your DSDT and mine. I only saw one difference which seemed like it could affect the benchmark. Your DSDT has entries for the processors for 11 PStates, which is a CPU-specific change for the i7-930 and Xeon W3530. My DSDT and also maleorderbride's don't include those changes, but instead rely on Chameleon to insert the states. Doing that has the advantage of not being CPU-specific, because Chameleon will add the appropriate states for the CPU it's running on.

Did you use my complete set of files, including my version of Chameleon, and my com.apple.Boot.plist? That's necessary to get the same processor states defined as in your DSDT.

I didn't try using your DSDT because it's for an i7-930, and I have an i7-950.

I have installed your Chameleon but then had to overwrite it with the kabyl boot loader that says rc700 for my video card ati 5870... I am really waiting for the stable release of kabyl bootloader to be merged into chameleon.

thanks a lot for looking into that

I have installed your Chameleon but then had to overwrite it with the kabyl boot loader that says rc700 for my video card ati 5870... I am really waiting for the stable release of kabyl bootloader to be merged into chameleon.

thanks a lot for looking into that

If you can't use the new version of Chameleon, here's what you'd have to do instead:

1. Remove these lines from com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Replace them with:

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>yes</string>

2. Follow step 5 in d00d's guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771. Start with edited-dsdt-has-hdef.dsl in my support files, make the changes for your CPU, then compile it with iasl (also in support files.) Then rename the new edited-dsdt-has-hdef.aml to DSDT.aml.

Sorry if this doesn't apply,

Since there are no motherboard category in this forum

and most GA-X58A-UD3R read from here,

I tried to post here too.

Original tread here.

I have fix my shutdown problem, Seems i have a bad install.

Now everything works,

reboot, sleep, shutdown(kinda)

restart bluetooth recognize apple keyboard,

compatible card that recognize as airport etc.

Just one problem....

I just bought a MiniPCI to PCIX1 card for the airport extreme card.

Everything work so far except i can't shutdown the computer now.

It will cold boot after the power LED went out for 3 sec.

It's good advice. Here's what I had to do to follow that with BIOS FE:

1. Start by using Load Optimized Defaults.

2. In M.I.T. Advanced Memory Settings:
  Exteme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) -> Profile1
  Performance Enhance -> Standard

3. In M.I.T. Advanced Frequency Settings:
  Under Advanced CPU Core Features:
 Intel(R) Turbo Boot Tech. -> Enabled
 CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) -> Enabled
 C3/C6/C7 State Support -> Enabled
 CPU Thermal Monitor -> Enabled
 CPU EIST Function -> Enabled
 Bi-Directional PROCHOT -> Enabled

4. In Integrated Peripherals
  ICH SATA Control Mode -> AHCI
  SATA Port0-3 Native Mode -> Enabled
  eSATA Ctrl Mode -> AHCI
  GSATA 6_7/IDE Ctrl Mode -> AHCI
  GSATA 8_9/IDE Ctrl Mode -> AHCI

5. In Power Management:
  HPET Mode -> 64-bit mode

I'm not so sure about his change for the memory voltage. I think the Profile1 values are read from the RAM, and include the voltage, so I decided not to change it. In any case, it depends on the RAM you have.

I found that including the optical drive in the boot order doesn't affect boot time as long as the hard drive is first in the boot order. If the hard drive is first and the BIOS can boot from it, the BIOS never checks the optical drive.

I also made these changes to the Optimized Defaults:

6. In Advanced BIOS Features:
  Quick Boot -> Enabled
  Third Boot Device Floppy -> Disabled
  HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability -> Enabled
  Full Screen LOGO Show -> Disabled
  Init Display First PCI -> PCIE x16-1

7. In Integrated Peripherals:
  GSATA 6_7/IDE Controller -> Disabled
  GSATA 8_9/IDE Controller -> Disabled

8. In Power Management:
  Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN -> Delay 4 Sec.

9. In PC Health Status:
  CPU Warning Temperature -> 60C/140F
  CPU FAN Fail Warning -> Enabled

None of these are necessary for OS X to run. They decrease the boot time, enable SMART, and reflect that I don't have a floppy drive, and that my graphics card is in the first PCIE x16 slot. Currently I don't use SATA ports 6-9, and disabling them decreases the boot time. The soft off delay allows OS X to use a quick press of the power button for sleep. The health status changes just seem like a good idea.

actually I believe that if you just omit that line osx should default to 64bit; in few words you don't need x86_64... however I will test everything as soon as I get a new hard-disk in order to have a clone copy where to try it.

That's correct-- you can also omit those lines, and with no architecture specified, OS X will boot in 64-bit mode.

Also, for anyone who needs PS/2 support, the current VoodooPS2Controller, 0.98, works with my files, but only in 32-bit mode. (The kext doesn't support 64-bit.) The PS/2 devices must be connected at the time the BIOS is booted in order for them to be recognized.

Just updated to FE yesterday with dougaa's extra folder. I changed his dsdt to reflect the orange icon "fix" instead of using the orange icon fix kext. I know it's not 100% according to a link posted earlier in the thread, but I don't really hot plug at all, and I prefer the least amount kexts as possible. I also edited his com.apple.boot file (Graphics Mode key) with an editor because I lost my high res apple logo on boot with his original com.apple.boot. I also had to use Chameleon v2 RC5 r700 because for some reason the r698 failed on install. I assume this is okay because it is a higher release than the one included.

Other than that everything works great. Thanks for all of your (and MOB's) work.

P.S. What is the deal with the arch=i386 flag in the com.apple.boot? What I mean is if I run a 64-bit app, will I see a performance hit at all? Will I still be able to take advantage of all the RAM I have available?

Just updated to FE yesterday with dougaa's extra folder. I changed his dsdt to reflect the orange icon "fix" instead of using the orange icon fix kext. I know it's not 100% according to a link posted earlier in the thread, but I don't really hot plug at all, and I prefer the least amount kexts as possible. I also edited his com.apple.boot file (Graphics Mode key) with an editor because I lost my high res apple logo on boot with his original com.apple.boot. I also had to use Chameleon v2 RC5 r700 because for some reason the r698 failed on install. I assume this is okay because it is a higher release than the one included.

Other than that everything works great. Thanks for all of your (and MOB's) work.

P.S. What is the deal with the arch=i386 flag in the com.apple.boot? What I mean is if I run a 64-bit app, will I see a performance hit at all? Will I still be able to take advantage of all the RAM I have available?

Thanks. Can you post a link to the orange icon fix you used? I agree that would be better than an extra kext, although I wonder why it's not included in d00d's DSDT guide.

I expect that people will need to customize com.apple.Boot.plist. The important keys to keep are GenerateCStates, GeneratePStates, GraphicsEnabler if you have nVidia, and EthernetBuiltIn.

Arch i386 is the most compatible setting. It allows using kexts that don't work in 64-bit yet, and I haven't been able to measure any performance hit on 64-bit apps. But just remove those lines or substitute x86_64 for i386 to use the 64-bit kernel, which works fine. You can check System Memory in Activity Monitor to see if all your RAM is being used, but I think you need more than 32GB total RAM, or an app that needs more than 4GB itself for 64-bit to be necessary.

Thanks. Can you post a link to the orange icon fix you used? I agree that would be better than an extra kext, although I wonder why it's not included in d00d's DSDT guide.

I expect that people will need to customize com.apple.Boot.plist. The important keys to keep are GenerateCStates, GeneratePStates, GraphicsEnabler if you have nVidia, and EthernetBuiltIn.

Arch i386 is the most compatible setting. It allows using kexts that don't work in 64-bit yet, and I haven't been able to measure any performance hit on 64-bit apps. But just remove those lines or substitute x86_64 for i386 to use the 64-bit kernel, which works fine. You can check System Memory in Activity Monitor to see if all your RAM is being used, but I think you need more than 32GB total RAM, or an app that needs more than 4GB itself for 64-bit to be necessary.

Thanks for the clarification on 64-bit. As long as there is no day to day noticeable differences, I'll stay with the compatible setting.

Here is the link to the dsdt edit. Its from this thread, post number 140.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1521676

Here is the thread (DSDT Auto-Patcher) where they are still using the IOACHIBlockStorageInjector.kext saying that it is not used because the "fix" had hot plug problems (maybe why d00d omitted it in his guide). I assumed they were talking about the dsdt "fix" that was linked to above. It's in the first post.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1571259

I got the link to the DSDT Auto-Patcher thread from the first post of the previous page (24) of this thread.

I hope this helps. Thanks again for everything!

holy {censored}.... this thread still lives after nearly 8 months! I haven't been on these forums in a long time, as once I had my hack purring, I just wanted to get back to real life...

Now I'm wanting to update to 10.6.6 from 10.6.4, so I figured I'd poke around and try to remember just how I did all this the first time (in case I break anything, which I probably will)

...shocked to find people still posting on this thread as of yesterday :hysterical:

I've been totally out of the loop, so nothing to contribute just yet...

let me know if there's anything I should watch out for when updating my kakewalk install to 10.6.6