Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

Easy enough, I've been around for a while, however I'm not up on forum policies for external links and such...

1. download Lion from the market.

2. download chimera 1.4.1 (google) or whatever build of chameleon you prefer

3. download xmove 1.0 (google)

4. resize your leopard partition to leave 11.5gig of free space at the end

5. create a new partition in the empty space, name it install

6. Run xmove, and make sure you choose the partition 'install' as your destination!! (if you install it to your snow leopard partition you'll break your setup)

7. Once that is complete make sure you have either updated your chameleon, or you have run chimera.

8. reboot, at the boot screen select install as your boot device, and install!

9. once in lion copy any of the files you like from the attached archive (most of which are based from this thread, and some are not), to get sound working use the archive provided by the thread starter here. I think you'll need the network kext provided there as well, but I'm running on wireless so I never bothered.

10. Open terminal and paste:

sudo perl -pi -e  's|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\x74\x0b|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\xeb\x0b|;  s|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\x74\x08|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\xeb\x08|'  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

you may wish to backup /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext first.

**Make sure you've updated your bios to FF

*** All you fermi users NO MORE FREEZING!!!!!!! I gave up on lion with my 5750, so I put my GTS450 back in just to test the waters, and no freezes!! (this isn't exactly news at this point).

Make sure you run kext utility before reboot.

JPA has a much prettier, and well thought out guide here

My geekbench under SL was 8950

My geekbech under lion is 10970!! (I think nullcpupowermanagement was slowing me down under SL)

Updated to 10.7.1 this evening, sound was broken as usual, after reboot I put the attached kext back in s/l/e , ran kext util, and all was back to normal.

AppleHDAALC889_lion.zip

• Like 1

Hi guys, I really really need your help. I have been looking around on the internet for months now trying to figure this out with no luck. I am able to install snow leopard onto my machine with no problem. The problem occurs when I try to install any combo update from 10.6.4 - 10.6.8. No matter which one I try, my machine will no longer boot and I have to start all over again. I am trying to get it to install 10.6.8 so I can have the latest version of snow leopard. Any help would be appreciated. Blow is my hardware config.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Processor - Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz

RAM - Corsair HX3X12G1600C9 XMS3 12 GB

Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX460 768MB

Hi guys, I really really need your help. I have been looking around on the internet for months now trying to figure this out with no luck. I am able to install snow leopard onto my machine with no problem. The problem occurs when I try to install any combo update from 10.6.4 - 10.6.8. No matter which one I try, my machine will no longer boot and I have to start all over again. I am trying to get it to install 10.6.8 so I can have the latest version of snow leopard. Any help would be appreciated. Blow is my hardware config.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Processor - Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz

RAM - Corsair HX3X12G1600C9 XMS3 12 GB

Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX460 768MB

Hi. You'll have to post more information about what happens when the machine no longer boots. How does it fail? Have you checked the messages from booting with -v? Usually, sound or networking might break after an update, but the machine should still boot so you can fix it.

Hi. You'll have to post more information about what happens when the machine no longer boots. How does it fail? Have you checked the messages from booting with -v? Usually, sound or networking might break after an update, but the machine should still boot so you can fix it.

after I run the combo update, I will get to the apple logo boot screen and then it has a kernel panic and I have to reboot, and it just stays in that loop

after I run the combo update, I will get to the apple logo boot screen and then it has a kernel panic and I have to reboot, and it just stays in that loop

It might help if you could post a picture of the kernel panic. How are you handling power management? Are you using a DSDT that's patched for that (like the ones I've posted) or doing something else?

It might help if you could post a picture of the kernel panic. How are you handling power management? Are you using a DSDT that's patched for that (like the ones I've posted) or doing something else?

Maybe that is my problem. I havent done anything when it comes to the dsdt, and quite frankly i really have no idea what im doing with it. I have read your stuff but I haven't found ones that you posted. I'm so close to getting this running at full functionality. The only issues I have is upgrading to 10.6.8 and getting the audio to work through the HDMI cable. Could you tell me what I need to do with DSDT? Im sorry im such a noob.

Maybe that is my problem. I havent done anything when it comes to the dsdt, and quite frankly i really have no idea what im doing with it. I have read your stuff but I haven't found ones that you posted. I'm so close to getting this running at full functionality. The only issues I have is upgrading to 10.6.8 and getting the audio to work through the HDMI cable. Could you tell me what I need to do with DSDT? Im sorry im such a noob.

From 10.6.4 download the zip from post #595, the 10.6.8 combo update from apple here, and get the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from tonymacx86 (google).

1. Run the combo update. Once it completes, don't restart, just leave the install window open

2. Remove everything in your Extra folder, and copy the contents of the zip into extra

3. Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], select System Utilities, Drivers and Bootloader>Bootloaders>Chimera v1.4.1 r877, OSx86 Software>Kext Utility. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Install and the combo update will both crash while selecting your options, just run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] again, check those three boxes again. Reboot, and squeeze your butt cheeks. Good luck.

From 10.6.4 download the zip from post #595, the 10.6.8 combo update from apple here, and get the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from tonymacx86 (google).

1. Run the combo update. Once it completes, don't restart, just leave the install window open

2. Remove everything in your Extra folder, and copy the contents of the zip into extra

3. Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], select System Utilities, Drivers and Bootloader>Bootloaders>Chimera v1.4.1 r877, OSx86 Software>Kext Utility. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Install and the combo update will both crash while selecting your options, just run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] again, check those three boxes again. Reboot, and squeeze your butt cheeks. Good luck.

Will this work going from 10.6.3? I think that is the version of snow leopard off the retail disk.

Tried this over the weekend and it completely hosed my system. It got to the chimera boot screen and when I clicked my mac drive it gave me a kernel panic and crashed. I tried to launch from the mac retail disk so that I could reinstall everything and start over but now i can't even boot from the disk. It goes to the apple logo and just freezes. I am getting so frustrated, I just don't understand why mine will not work.

Tried this over the weekend and it completely hosed my system. It got to the chimera boot screen and when I clicked my mac drive it gave me a kernel panic and crashed. I tried to launch from the mac retail disk so that I could reinstall everything and start over but now i can't even boot from the disk. It goes to the apple logo and just freezes. I am getting so frustrated, I just don't understand why mine will not work.

When you repartition the drive during install of 10.6.3 partition type are you using? It should be GUID. Make sure that your SATA is all set to AHCI not IDE in the bios.

When you repartition the drive during install of 10.6.3 partition type are you using? It should be GUID. Make sure that your SATA is all set to AHCI not IDE in the bios.

I have all of those settings already enabled. I wonder if I hooked the hard drive up to a mac that i have at work, installed everything and then put it back in my hackintosh

I tried installing Lion, and found that the same kexts and DSDT I've posted for Snow Leopard work well. I needed to update to a current version of Chameleon, and I used r1324. I renamed com.apple.Boot.plist to org.chameleon.Boot.plist, as Chameleon requires now. Restart didn't work until I used Chameleon's restart fix. I added these lines to org.chameleon.Boot.plist
	<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Sleep due to inactivity works, but forced sleep (from the Finder menu or login window) doesn't. The computer seems to resume running normally, but the screen stays black. I hope there will be DSDT patches for restart and the sleep problem, but I haven't found any yet.

Did you get sleep working properly? You probably just need to do the AppleRTC edit that was mentioned a few posts above yours, or track down the original thread about it on these forums.

Sleep, autosleep, and everything else works fine on my board with Lion. I switched my video card to the HD6870 as well so that I have native mini-DPs.

I also just ordered an Intel 510 120GB---will that work at SATA III speed automatically? Anyone else using SATAIII SSDs in Lion plugged into one of the SATAIII ports? Hoping to see that 450MBp/s read/write!

Did you get sleep working properly? You probably just need to do the AppleRTC edit that was mentioned a few posts above yours, or track down the original thread about it on these forums.

Sleep, autosleep, and everything else works fine on my board with Lion. I switched my video card to the HD6870 as well so that I have native mini-DPs.

I also just ordered an Intel 510 120GB---will that work at SATA III speed automatically? Anyone else using SATAIII SSDs in Lion plugged into one of the SATAIII ports? Hoping to see that 450MBp/s read/write!

From what I've read I'm pretty sure you're going to need a ASM1061 controller for it. AFAIK that's the only controller that's giving sata 3 speed with the SF2 SSDs. But please correct me if I'm wrong!

I am still having the same issues with my machine. I am unable to update to any version past 10.6.3 I have used all of the correct settings in multibest, I even downloade the DSDT file for my BIOS version and applied that to the install. After rebooting, I get the chameleon bootloader, I see the white screen with the apple logo come up, but I never get the spinning loading wheel. It just sits on that screen forever. HELP!!! Or am I doomed to stay on 10.6.3 forever? ;)

I finally got it to work! I began this time by flashing my BIOS version from FD to FE, made a few tweaks to the BIOS settings after that was done, and everything went off without a hitch. I used combo update 10.6.6 and that was successful. I am tempted to try to update it to 10.6.8 now so that I can have the latest and greatest snow leopard. I am finally on the right track with this working. Also I just need to figure out how to enable the sound going through the HDMI cable and I will be set!

• 2 weeks later...
From what I've read I'm pretty sure you're going to need a ASM1061 controller for it. AFAIK that's the only controller that's giving sata 3 speed with the SF2 SSDs. But please correct me if I'm wrong!

I ordered the ASMI1061 at the same time then did some testing with my Intel 510 120GB and an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB.

Both SSDs were faster in the SATA6GB ports on the motherboard than they were using the PCI-e card. It looks like Marvell has better firmware. (Using BIOS FH3 had performance gains over all FE/FF)

I think you need to be using 10.6.8_1 or Lion in order to have native SATA III support. System Profiler still shows oddly for SATA devices but the link speed and negotiated link speed both say 6GBp/s and both of my SSDs got over the 300MBp/s cap.

FYI, the Intel drive has a much lower sequential write than I thought it would. It was about 340 read and 220 write =/

The OCZ drive was about 100MBp/s faster on all marks, but given the amount of failed OCZ Vertex3/Agility3 drives that I see online right now I am not sure I would recommend getting one.

All in all, SSDs are damn fast, even if you pick one of the slower ones.

Sleep, autosleep, and everything else works fine on my board with Lion.

Thanks. Yes, the AppleRTC patch did solve my sleep problem. In case anyone else needs it, I used the patch at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1707182

• 1 month later...

As of this morning I now own a X58A-UD3R v2.0 in addition to the v1.0 board I have in an existing hackintosh; I'll be building a dsdt and pulling my software bits and pieces together sometime this week to get this second system up and running.

The question; is anyone following this thread interested in me posting a diff comparison of my dsdts of both boards, virgin and patched etc, or would I be repeating info already posted elsewhere.

As of this morning I now own a X58A-UD3R v2.0 in addition to the v1.0 board I have in an existing hackintosh; I'll be building a dsdt and pulling my software bits and pieces together sometime this week to get this second system up and running.

The question; is anyone following this thread interested in me posting a diff comparison of my dsdts of both boards, virgin and patched etc, or would I be repeating info already posted elsewhere.

I am interested... Geekbench scores would also be interesting to see....

I am interested... Geekbench scores would also be interesting to see....

Thats going to be hard (or require some annoying hardware swapping); I have a 930w/1333ram in the v1 and a 950w/2000 in the v2, along with a lot of other different hardware. I doubt the changes in the v2 have a substantial effect on raw performance. I suppose I shall post about any variances I encounter when I finish pulling the 10.7 together for the v2.

Maybe the realtek nic in the v2 won't run like {censored}. I had sluggish performance with the nic on the v1. While it was under heavy file transfer loads most of my other network communication would stall out. I assumed it was the result of questionable drivers. I put a sonnet pcie card in to avoid using the onboard. (AFP capped @ 35-40MB/ss throughput w/ realtek Vs 95-100+MB/s with the marvel chipset). We shall see ;P

Hey

I have this motherboard (2.0) and i have gotten alot working on it (including 2 gtx 480s and 1 8800gt at same time) but there is one thing that I cannot get working.

I got an apple wireless card from a macbook pro (BCM94321MC) and put it in a mini pci to pci x1 adaptor and now both wired and wireless connection is not working. They both can detect the connection (wired detects its connected and wireless can connect to the network) and connect, but they cannot be assigned an ip address and connect to the internet. I have manually assigned them ip addresses that are free on the router, but still cannot connect to the internet. I have tried deleting and re-adding the services and tried only have one service active at a time, but same problem. Also when I am connected with the wireless the menu airport still says that its not configured (even though the wireless bars are filled in). I have the LnxtoMac drivers installed for the connection. I have also reset and even reset to factory defaults, my router. Yet nothing.

I don't know how installing a native aiport wireless card can take out my wired connection also. When i got super frustrated I took out the wireless card, and now my wired connection started working again. The only problem I might be able to see is in the system profiler it recognizes it as a airport card but uses a kext BCM43xxx.kext and I don't know if that the right one for the BCM94321MC, and if its not right than where should I get the new kext.

I was wondering if someone could help me out with this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks....

• 2 weeks later...

I had two questions:

Does anyone have auto-detect working on the front headphones under 10.7.2?

Secondly, did anyone not have to do anything maintenance to update from 10.7.1->10.7.2 (other than AppleHDA). If so, can you please post your entire Extra folder and tell me what graphics card model you have. If you have kexts in S/L/E that you use to enable graphics please post that as well.

Thanks!

Hey

I have this motherboard (2.0) and i have gotten alot working on it (including 2 gtx 480s and 1 8800gt at same time) but there is one thing that I cannot get working.

I got an apple wireless card from a macbook pro (BCM94321MC) and put it in a mini pci to pci x1 adaptor and now both wired and wireless connection is not working. They both can detect the connection (wired detects its connected and wireless can connect to the network) and connect, but they cannot be assigned an ip address and connect to the internet. I have manually assigned them ip addresses that are free on the router, but still cannot connect to the internet. I have tried deleting and re-adding the services and tried only have one service active at a time, but same problem. Also when I am connected with the wireless the menu airport still says that its not configured (even though the wireless bars are filled in). I have the LnxtoMac drivers installed for the connection. I have also reset and even reset to factory defaults, my router. Yet nothing.

I don't know how installing a native aiport wireless card can take out my wired connection also. When i got super frustrated I took out the wireless card, and now my wired connection started working again. The only problem I might be able to see is in the system profiler it recognizes it as a airport card but uses a kext BCM43xxx.kext and I don't know if that the right one for the BCM94321MC, and if its not right than where should I get the new kext.

I was wondering if someone could help me out with this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks....

Do a fresh install with the Airport card already in place, or start deleting all of your network related plists and then re-add the devices manually in Network Settings. Sometimes if you add them in the wrong order the Airport card says "Ethernet" or vice versa.

You can use the same DSDT on a rev 1.0 board and rev 2.0 board---audio and networking are different but that is it.

• 2 months later...

10.7.3 without incident. Also, I switched to an AppleHDA.kext located made by our very own Toleda and hosted on TonyMac: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-optimized-audio-drivers-for-onboard.html

Sounds better to me and it aided me in my quest to get HDMI working on my build.

Mostly working on my ASUS P9X79 Pro / 3930K @ 4.5GHz build ;p Everything but sleep so far! I'll make a thread for it once I get sleep working.

• Like 1

10.7.3 without incident. Also, I switched to an AppleHDA.kext located made by our very own Toleda and hosted on TonyMac: http://tonymacx86.bl...or-onboard.html

Thanks ^_^ do we have to reapply this:>

10. Open terminal and paste:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\x74\x0b|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\xeb\x0b|; s|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\x74\x08|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\xeb\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

you may wish to backup /Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext first.

Got finally on the Lion bandwagon myself too and have still some problems to sort out.

First thanks to maleorderbride, dougaa and chuckles, is thanks to you guys that I have a running built :)

Anyway this are the tings I still cannot sort out/understand.

Got to 10.7.2 following chuckles post, lion runs fine (no performance increase here though) but

1. randomly (about 30-40% of times) on starting up I get to the login window but cannot move the mouse; or I get to the login window can move the mouse but cannot click on the name and activate the password input dialog. At that point all I can do is hard reset the pc and on the next reboot everything is fine.
  2. Even if in the Bios i have all Stata controller set to [AHCI] the 2 GSata ports (the 6gbs ones Gsata6 and Gsata7 on the manual) are found as IDE. I am on FF bios update. They work fine on osx but won't work if I link them to a SSD drive (Since it is AHCI only I suppose) nor I can get SATA III speeds from them (But cannot say for sure).
  3. Some times one of the monitors does not get signal at login, it is always the same one and again if I reboot all is fine. This has to do with the graphic card though I think.

One more thinks if I am to set up a raid 0, shall I do it in the bios or with disk utility?

Anyway thanks for reading up to here; I am on the latest chimera 1.7 (I think) and link my extra folder if any of you would be so kind to give it a look I would appreciate a loot :sorcerer: my spec are on the signature also.

Unfortunately even if i tried to get past just coping your files in my setup and tried to get a bit deeper in understanding what I am supposed to do, there is almost no use to it and I am stuck to relay on you guys :help:

Extra.zip