Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

Has anyone gotten [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or XPC to boot on the GA-X58A-UD3R? I'm trying to run Lion, but I haven't gotten anywhere because I can't get [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or XPC to work. I set up a USB stick with each one and tested it on my older Q6600 machine. Both worked on that machine, so the USB stick was set up correctly. But on my GA-X58A-UD3R, something flashes briefly in red, then I get a completely blank screen. I don't get the initial cursor like with the Q6600. I tried waiting a long time, but it made no difference. Also, when I reboot afterwards, sometimes the BIOS complains about an overclocking failure, and loads safe settings. I wasn't doing overclocking.

Hello

I just spent some time trying [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and XPC.

I tried with all versions available, always get same results than you !

What you see in red is MBR start!

As I am using an older version of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to run my Hack pro, from tonyMac, using it I can select Mac OS X Base System partition, the only problem is that PC reboots at they end of Extensions loading (-v).

But....what is interesting is:

if you boot with -v option and you play with pause

you can see at the end of kext loading:

ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml

FADT: restart fix applied !

FADT: using custom DSDT !

I don't know what does that means but it looks like apple safety belt !

So so ... any new track is welcome !

Leon

10.6.7 is out dou we have any success story... as usually I am not capable to know what to do in order to safely update the OSX... Will broke the system 100%. So please let me know if you guys managed to do it and how.

big thanks!

10.6.7 is out dou we have any success story... as usually I am not capable to know what to do in order to safely update the OSX... Will broke the system 100%. So please let me know if you guys managed to do it and how.

big thanks!

Mine updated without a problem. This update did not break the sound like the other updates.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. They look like excellent directions. I'd also be interested if anyone can get it to work without VMWare.

Chameleon 2 RC3 does the job associated with netkas'boot

The only problem is that you are facing random KP with double fault error message at boot

Just retry untill success

If you are quiet you will do it !

Sure in near futur some one will fix this

Leon

First post here, so hi to everyone...

I built my first Hackintosh last weekend - I built a new PC a month or so ago around the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev 2, and having been running Win7 on it with no problems for a while, I decided to install MacOS on an additional HDD.

I used Kakewalk 3.1 and a Snow Leopard upgrade disk from one of my Macs - I have an ATI 5570 graphics card, so bodged in the relevant Lion drivers, and installed the Realtek network driver from their site. In all other respects it was a bog-standard Kakewalk install, and my machine is running 10.6.7 with everything (sound, network, graphics etc) all working well.

However, I do have one intermittent problem that a search of the forums revealed a few other people have seen, but I couldn't find a fix. My DVD drives (an Optiarc DVD-RW and a Samsung DVD-ROM) aren't always detected when the Mac boots. Most of the time, they are both found and work properly, but every now and then, on boot, neither drive is found, and System Profiler reports "there was an error when scanning for serial ATA devices" on the Serial-ATA page. This is in spite of the fact that my boot drive is SATA and on the same controller as the DVD drives, and it has managed to find the boot disc with no problem - I've never had a failure to boot. A reboot usually (but not always) fixes the problem. The drives are always detected correctly under Win7, and the BIOS screens before Chameleon loads always show them as detected.

The DVDs are plugged into the SouthBridge sockets, i.e. the ones controlled by the ICH10R - the Optiarc is in SATA_0, the Samsung is in SATA_1 and the boot drive (a Seagate) is in SATA_2. (The 2 Win7 drives are plugged into the SATA III sockets, and they are always detected as well - it's just the optical drives that seem intermittent.)

Has anyone got any suggestions? The problem being intermittent makes it rather difficult to debug, but the fact that all the hardware works reliably under Windows makes me suspect something in the Mac setup. Any advice very gratefully received - apologies in advance if this is a known issue with an obvious problem, but a lot of Googling didn't turn it up.

First post here, so hi to everyone...

I built my first Hackintosh last weekend - I built a new PC a month or so ago around the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev 2, and having been running Win7 on it with no problems for a while, I decided to install MacOS on an additional HDD.

I used Kakewalk 3.1 and a Snow Leopard upgrade disk from one of my Macs - I have an ATI 5570 graphics card, so bodged in the relevant Lion drivers, and installed the Realtek network driver from their site. In all other respects it was a bog-standard Kakewalk install, and my machine is running 10.6.7 with everything (sound, network, graphics etc) all working well.

However, I do have one intermittent problem that a search of the forums revealed a few other people have seen, but I couldn't find a fix. My DVD drives (an Optiarc DVD-RW and a Samsung DVD-ROM) aren't always detected when the Mac boots. Most of the time, they are both found and work properly, but every now and then, on boot, neither drive is found, and System Profiler reports "there was an error when scanning for serial ATA devices" on the Serial-ATA page. This is in spite of the fact that my boot drive is SATA and on the same controller as the DVD drives, and it has managed to find the boot disc with no problem - I've never had a failure to boot. A reboot usually (but not always) fixes the problem. The drives are always detected correctly under Win7, and the BIOS screens before Chameleon loads always show them as detected.

The DVDs are plugged into the SouthBridge sockets, i.e. the ones controlled by the ICH10R - the Optiarc is in SATA_0, the Samsung is in SATA_1 and the boot drive (a Seagate) is in SATA_2. (The 2 Win7 drives are plugged into the SATA III sockets, and they are always detected as well - it's just the optical drives that seem intermittent.)

Has anyone got any suggestions? The problem being intermittent makes it rather difficult to debug, but the fact that all the hardware works reliably under Windows makes me suspect something in the Mac setup. Any advice very gratefully received - apologies in advance if this is a known issue with an obvious problem, but a lot of Googling didn't turn it up.

Hi. What BIOS settings do you have for the ICH10R SATA ports? Are they set to AHCI? AHCI is best for OS X. Also, how does the ICH10R show up in System Profiler under Serial-ATA? Does it show up as ICH10R or as something else?

Hi. What BIOS settings do you have for the ICH10R SATA ports? Are they set to AHCI? AHCI is best for OS X. Also, how does the ICH10R show up in System Profiler under Serial-ATA? Does it show up as ICH10R or as something else?

All SATA ports are set to AHCI in the BIOS. Under System Profiler, the 6 ICH10R ports show up as ICH10R - the other ports (the Gigabyte-controlled ones) come up as unknown.

Ah - ok, some more information now I'm actually sitting in front of the PC.

I've just used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install the JMicron36xSATA and JMicron36xeSATA kexts - this has resulted in the Windows drives on the desktop having the correct (internal) drive icons - before they were showing as external drives.

The SATA page on System Profiler reports the 6 IHC10R ports as "Intel ESB2 AHCI" - not sure that's right, so I'll do some digging there. The two SATA3 ports which have the Win7 drives are still listed as "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller", as are 6 other AHCI ports. One of those has an entry of "MARVELL VIRTUAL".

A couple of things about this confuse me. First is that the mobo has 12 SATA ports (6 controlled by the IHC10R, 2 SATA3 ports controlled by the Marvell 9128, 2 SATA2 ports controlled by the Gigabyte chip, and 2 eSATA ports on the back controlled by the JMicron chip.) But profiler is showing 14 - 6 as IntelESB2, 2 which have the Win7 drives (which are the Marvell), and then 6 more - where did they come from?

Is the "Intel ESB2" the same as an IHC10R? If not, do I need a different driver for those ports? Are there other drivers for the other SATA controllers that are currently labelled as Unknown? And finally, why did loading the JMicron kexts affect the Win7 drives that aren't on a JMicron controller?

Any bright ideas gratefully received...

Is the "Intel ESB2" the same as an IHC10R? If not, do I need a different driver for those ports? Are there other drivers for the other SATA controllers that are currently labelled as Unknown? And finally, why did loading the JMicron kexts affect the Win7 drives that aren't on a JMicron controller?

I'll try to write more later, but just quickly, Intel ESB2 is not the same as ICH10R. You can get it to show up as ICH10R and solve the orange icon problem with the right setup. It's not clear how much of a problem it causes to use Intel ESB2, but disk drives are not something you want to take chances with.

I've just used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install the JMicron36xSATA and JMicron36xeSATA kexts - this has resulted in the Windows drives on the desktop having the correct (internal) drive icons - before they were showing as external drives.

I looked at those kexts for my own machine, and as far as I can tell, you're expected to choose one or other, depending on whether your JMicron drives should be treated as SATA or eSATA. If you install both, I think the one that loads first is used, and the other one is ignored. Having to choose one is a problem for this motherboard, because the JMicron chips are used for both. So far, I've only used the JMicron ports for eSATA, so I installed the eSATA kext. I'd recommend using the ICH10 ports first for SATA drives, because I think the ICH10 has the best support.

The SATA page on System Profiler reports the 6 IHC10R ports as "Intel ESB2 AHCI" - not sure that's right, so I'll do some digging there. The two SATA3 ports which have the Win7 drives are still listed as "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller", as are 6 other AHCI ports. One of those has an entry of "MARVELL VIRTUAL".

A couple of things about this confuse me. First is that the mobo has 12 SATA ports (6 controlled by the IHC10R, 2 SATA3 ports controlled by the Marvell 9128, 2 SATA2 ports controlled by the Gigabyte chip, and 2 eSATA ports on the back controlled by the JMicron chip.) But profiler is showing 14 - 6 as IntelESB2, 2 which have the Win7 drives (which are the Marvell), and then 6 more - where did they come from?

The Gigabyte chip is actually a second JMicron chip. This is how the SATA controllers show up using "lspci" in linux on my machine:

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA AHCI Controller [8086:3a22]
01:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device [1b4b:9128] (rev 11)
06:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 Serial ATA Controller [197b:2363] (rev 02)
07:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 Serial ATA Controller [197b:2363] (rev 03)

Since both JMicron chips have the same id numbers, 197b:2363, the same kext will get loaded for both. The rev 02 JMicron chip is for the two eSATA connection, and the rev 03 JMicron chip is the "Gigabyte" chip for SATA 8 and 9. That explain why four JMicron ports show up. The Marvell 9128 is documented as having two ports (SATA 6 and 7), and I don't know why so many more show up. The extra ports and MARVELL VIRTUALL may have something to do with the Marvell RAID controller.

Is the "Intel ESB2" the same as an IHC10R? If not, do I need a different driver for those ports?

Some people use these motherboards with it showing up as ESB2, but it seems best to me to have it match the actual controller. I use IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and a DSDT which result in those ports showing up as ICH10, and don't get any orange icons. I posted my DSDT for BIOS FF not too long ago.

Are there other drivers for the other SATA controllers that are currently labelled as Unknown?

I think the other ports are all for the Marvell chip. As far as I know there isn't a kext available for it. I'd also like to know if there is one.

And finally, why did loading the JMicron kexts affect the Win7 drives that aren't on a JMicron controller?

If they're connected to SATA 8 or 9, it's due to what I said about how it's actually a JMicron controller.

Many thanks for the very detailed reply.

I've just flashed the BIOS to FF - I was on FB. I first tried the default DSDT from the tonymac database, but added the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector kext from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. This then correctly identified 4 SATA ports as JMicron, but left the ICH10s as ESB2. I then found your custom DSDT and used that, and I now have 6 ports correctly labelled as ICH10, which is an improvement!

Oddly, since adding IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, System Profiler now finds even more SATA ports, for a grand total of 18! 6 are labelled as Intel ICH10, 4 are JMicron JMB363 eSATA, and the rest are still unknown - these include the two Marvell SATA3 ports.

When I booted after that, it did find the optical drives on the first couple of attempts, so certainly nothing is worse - I'll run it for a day or two and see if it finds them any more reliably.

Just out of interest, which kexts do you have in /Extra/Extensions? I've currently got IOAHCIBlock..., fakesmc and Legacy889HDA, plus the three JMicron36x ones, which it sounds like I could slim down a bit.

Very many thanks for the help.

Many thanks for the very detailed reply.

I've just flashed the BIOS to FF - I was on FB. I first tried the default DSDT from the tonymac database, but added the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector kext from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. This then correctly identified 4 SATA ports as JMicron, but left the ICH10s as ESB2. I then found your custom DSDT and used that, and I now have 6 ports correctly labelled as ICH10, which is an improvement!

Oddly, since adding IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, System Profiler now finds even more SATA ports, for a grand total of 18! 6 are labelled as Intel ICH10, 4 are JMicron JMB363 eSATA, and the rest are still unknown - these include the two Marvell SATA3 ports.

When I booted after that, it did find the optical drives on the first couple of attempts, so certainly nothing is worse - I'll run it for a day or two and see if it finds them any more reliably.

Just out of interest, which kexts do you have in /Extra/Extensions? I've currently got IOAHCIBlock..., fakesmc and Legacy889HDA, plus the three JMicron36x ones, which it sounds like I could slim down a bit.

Very many thanks for the help.

Glad to hear what I wrote was helpful. I attached the entire contents that I use for a USB stick or partition to boot my machine, including the Extra folder. For com.apple.Boot.plist, you'd want to remove or change Default Partition and Hide Partition. Also, the memory speed in smbios.plist if it's not 1600. In System kexts are kexts I either add or replace in /System/Library/Extensions. You probably won't need the patched IONetworkingFamily.kext, it's for an Intel Ethernet PCI card I use (it's supposed to work much better than the Realtek chip.) JMicronATA.kext is only needed if you use the IDE connector. VoodooPS2Controller only works if you boot in 32-bit mode. fakesmc.kext is patched to have information for a MacPro4,1, matching smbios.plist. My setup is based on previous posts by maleorderbride, and d00d's guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771, which is amazing.

snowboot.dmg.zip

Hmmm. Well, I'm still slightly baffled. I still get occasional failures to detect the optical drives. I've tried everything I can think of - combinations of kexts, different SATA ports etc. I've even created my own DSDT.aml by extracting a vanilla one from my BIOS and applying recommended patches - which was an interesting exercise!

One thing did occur to me last night. I have the eject menu on the menu bar next to the clock, but only one of the drives ever appears in it - the TSST (Samsung) DVD burner. The other drive - a Sony DVD-ROM - doesn't. If I put a disc in, it appears on the desktop and I can eject by dragging it to the trash, but I get no sign on the eject menu. So maybe the problem is this drive? I've just swapped it for a TSST identical to the other one, and both now show up in the menu. I might pick up a cheap TSST DVD-ROM - I have two different types of drive so as to enable me to compare audio disk rips against each other, so I don't want identical burners - and see if that makes a difference. Or is it that only disk writers show up in that menu and disk readers don't?

HI! I'm getting my GA-X58A-UD3R + i7 950 + 5770 next week.

Now, I see this post is 29 pages long and has almost 600 replies....

I have no problems to read them all, but... is there any updated guide? Because if it exists, I can't find it!

Best regards.

HI! I'm getting my GA-X58A-UD3R + i7 950 + 5770 next week.

Now, I see this post is 29 pages long and has almost 600 replies....

I have no problems to read them all, but... is there any updated guide? Because if it exists, I can't find it!

Best regards.

Everything I've learned from guides and my experience is included in the files I posted just a few back, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1667613. Those assume you've updated the BIOS to version FF. Also, my BIOS settings are here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1623201 Although that post is for BIOS FE, the settings didn't change for FF.

Everything I've learned from guides and my experience is included in the files I posted just a few back, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1667613. Those assume you've updated the BIOS to version FF. Also, my BIOS settings are here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1623201 Although that post is for BIOS FE, the settings didn't change for FF.

Wow thanks.... I cant wait to have everything here!

THANKS AGAIN!

• 2 weeks later...

After running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], Snow Leopard crashes during the boot up unless its in safe mode.

I installed my system by reseting my bios, and setting it up as mentioned in my specs below (AHCI enabled, followed an earlier post). Afterwards, I boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], run Snow Leopard, and use Disk Utility to format one hard drive as Mac Os Extended Journaled, and the other as MS-DOS. I put in my Windows 7 CD and shut down. I unplug my OSX partitioned hard drive, and boot up.

At the windows 7 installation prompt, I format the MS-Dos partition as NTFS, and install Windows 7. Once installed and at the desktop, I insert [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], turn off the computer. I replug the OSX hard drive and boot up into [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I then switch the cd to Snow Leopard and boot into it. At this point I proceed to install Snow Leopard on the OSX formatted hard drive. The installation goes fine, and Snow Leopard boots up, though slightly laggy (im sure its due to the drivers being generic).

At this point I install the apple combo update 10.6.7, then run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], before I restart. On the settings, I have tried the easy install option and the custom DSDT: "GA_X58A_UD3R_Rev2_FF_DSDT.zip", which was posted on this forum. Both cause the same problem, and both were attempted separately on a fresh install of Snow Leopard. I have even tried running snowboot.dmg.zip posted here in safe mode (after I was unable to boot into Snow Leopard), but to no avail. Any idea what could be causing Snow Leopard to crash during booting up? [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] also fails to boot into Snow Leopard after [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is executed.

I have 6 gigs of ram installed on the system, and a wireless card plugged in. I am going to try unplugging a 2 gig stick of ram, and the wireless card to see if I can boot into SL later today, but I have a gut feeling that that is not the problem here.

Mother Board: GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0

Bios Version: FF (Checked for successful installation)

Bios Settings:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1623201

CPU: i7-950

Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 465 Superclocked

Also, I am using a retail version of Snow Leopard

After running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], Snow Leopard crashes during the boot up unless its in safe mode.

I installed my system by reseting my bios, and setting it up as mentioned in my specs below (AHCI enabled, followed an earlier post). Afterwards, I boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], run Snow Leopard, and use Disk Utility to format one hard drive as Mac Os Extended Journaled, and the other as MS-DOS. I put in my Windows 7 CD and shut down. I unplug my OSX partitioned hard drive, and boot up.

At the windows 7 installation prompt, I format the MS-Dos partition as NTFS, and install Windows 7. Once installed and at the desktop, I insert [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], turn off the computer. I replug the OSX hard drive and boot up into [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I then switch the cd to Snow Leopard and boot into it. At this point I proceed to install Snow Leopard on the OSX formatted hard drive. The installation goes fine, and Snow Leopard boots up, though slightly laggy (im sure its due to the drivers being generic).

At this point I install the apple combo update 10.6.7, then run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], before I restart. On the settings, I have tried the easy install option and the custom DSDT: "GA_X58A_UD3R_Rev2_FF_DSDT.zip", which was posted on this forum. Both cause the same problem, and both were attempted separately on a fresh install of Snow Leopard. I have even tried running snowboot.dmg.zip posted here in safe mode (after I was unable to boot into Snow Leopard), but to no avail. Any idea what could be causing Snow Leopard to crash during booting up? [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] also fails to boot into Snow Leopard after [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is executed.

I have 6 gigs of ram installed on the system, and a wireless card plugged in. I am going to try unplugging a 2 gig stick of ram, and the wireless card to see if I can boot into SL later today, but I have a gut feeling that that is not the problem here.

Mother Board: GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0

Bios Version: FF (Checked for successful installation)

Bios Settings:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1623201

CPU: i7-950

Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 465 Superclocked

Also, I am using a retail version of Snow Leopard

Getting rid of the wireless card solved the problem!

Anyone get the on board audio to work?

Yes, with the files I posted a few posts back (snowboot.dmg), the on-board audio works. I have ALC8xxHDA.kext in my Extra folder, and also have to install an replacement for AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions. I think that's the only solution I found where the front case output works, as well as the connector on the motherboard.

EDIT: If those kexts don't work for you, you may also have to use my DSDT. There is a change to the DSDT related to audio support.