Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

You do need to use OS X to set up the USB stick. If you have a machine where you can get a Snow Leopard install DVD to boot, that would be sufficient. It wouldn't matter if sound or networking or full graphics card support didn't work, as long as you could run Disk Utility and run commands in Terminal. Questions about this kind of installation not specific to the GA-X58A-UD3R should probably be in another thread, such as one of the tutorial threads.

I am installing it on the ud3r! Thanks for that for some reason I hadnt contemplated making it off just a install screen disk utility!!!! I will do that now and get back to you.

I am installing it on the ud3r! Thanks for that for some reason I hadnt contemplated making it off just a install screen disk utility!!!! I will do that now and get back to you.

OK I made the Flash drive and the install finished now using safe mode, now it wont boot the new install it just hangs for ever on the spinning wheel eventually the wheel stops and the hd makes no more noise. The flash drive itself has worked before on an os install as I had the Dell 10V and installed off the same drive.

All components are supposed to be compatible. Don't understand what is happening as everybody else seems to have installed no problem and this topic is for people who are changing things whilst running!

Wish I could get running! My install media was 10A432 I think it was the final 10.6.0 release as I didnt entirely trust the 10.6.3 I downloaded.

Any help will be appreciated!

Fresh install wouldn't hurt. I did it several times in the past few days due to my mobo issues and it's no big deal anymore, will take you an hour or so - boot from kakewalk, get in SL DVD and partition/format/install, reboot using kakewalk CD and then choose to boot from your new install, copy over mailorderbride's E/E and run install of Chameleon, reboot (without kakewalk CD this time), install combine package 10.6.5, reboot, install Lnx2Mac's network, reboot, install retail nVidia drivers, reboot, install AppleHDA, reboot and enjoy your new hackintosh. In case of network problems don't forget to go to BIOS and run SmartLan to flush the chip, if this wouldn't work unplug cable, reset CMOS, run SmartLan, plug in cable run SmartLan (you might see the cable lentgth fluctuates a bit) and you should be good to go.

Mailorderbride, can I buy you a beer to express my gratitude for your drivers? I know there is a czech restaurant in Davis perhaps with Pilsner on tap? I am getting Geekbench(32) 12165 OC'd to 4.0GHz DDR 1600 QPI 3600 and all voltages on auto. No sweat. Cheers:-)

Sure! Let me know when you will be in Davis next. I do like a good pilsner.

OK I made the Flash drive and the install finished now using safe mode, now it wont boot the new install it just hangs for ever on the spinning wheel eventually the wheel stops and the hd makes no more noise. The flash drive itself has worked before on an os install as I had the Dell 10V and installed off the same drive.

All components are supposed to be compatible. Don't understand what is happening as everybody else seems to have installed no problem and this topic is for people who are changing things whilst running!

Wish I could get running! My install media was 10A432 I think it was the final 10.6.0 release as I didnt entirely trust the 10.6.3 I downloaded.

Are you using my files? Did you install Chameleon RC5 onto the flash drive?

I can't remember if 10.6 even works natively with this setup. 10.6.3 definitely does though.

Did you enable AHCI under Integrated Peripherals in the BIOS?

Boot with -f -v -x and take a picture of the kernel panic/freeze.

I assume that as well as doing the install from the flash drive, you also set up Chameleon on the hard drive? (The install just gets you vanilla OS X.) If it helps, I wrote a tutorial here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199832

Posting back to express thanks to those who graciously helped out with their advice on how to get my new GA-EX58A-UD3R Rev. 2 rig setup properly. I am happy to report that things went relatively smoothly. Have a couple of small issues to work out, but nothing that keeps me from getting work done on the new machine. Thanks to all!

______

X58A-UD3R Rev. 2 FB Bios | i7 950 @ 3.06GHz | 12 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 | Nvidia 9800GT 512MB | 2x 1TB Hitachi 2x 2TB Samsung 2x 500GB WD| Seasonic 550W | CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced | OS X 10.6.5

I assume that as well as doing the install from the flash drive, you also set up Chameleon on the hard drive? (The install just gets you vanilla OS X.) If it helps, I wrote a tutorial here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199832

I didnt install chameleon I was trying to boot off [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] disk which uses chameleon I was hoping to boot and then just install iBeast? [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] comes up then it lets me select the installed partition I then get the white screen with the spinning wheel loader thing (not the beachball) and it just hangs on that for a very long time so I never get to see the intro video.

Fresh install wouldn't hurt. I did it several times in the past few days due to my mobo issues and it's no big deal anymore, will take you an hour or so - boot from kakewalk, get in SL DVD and partition/format/install, reboot using kakewalk CD and then choose to boot from your new install, copy over mailorderbride's E/E and run install of Chameleon, reboot (without kakewalk CD this time), install combine package 10.6.5, reboot, install Lnx2Mac's network, reboot, install retail nVidia drivers, reboot, install AppleHDA, reboot and enjoy your new hackintosh. In case of network problems don't forget to go to BIOS and run SmartLan to flush the chip, if this wouldn't work unplug cable, reset CMOS, run SmartLan, plug in cable run SmartLan (you might see the cable lentgth fluctuates a bit) and you should be good to go.

I haven't tried a full fresh install of snow leopard yet, but when I run SmartLan it seems to just freeze the bios screen.. Know what's up there? No internet is driving me crazy I almost want to just buy a PCI ethernet card but I know my problems are just a simple fix away, hopefully will all run with a fresh install.

I haven't tried a full fresh install of snow leopard yet, but when I run SmartLan it seems to just freeze the bios screen.. Know what's up there? No internet is driving me crazy I almost want to just buy a PCI ethernet card but I know my problems are just a simple fix away, hopefully will all run with a fresh install.

Make sure you have FB BIOS minimum (!!). When you run smartLAN you should see oscilating data of link speed and cable length. When my interface was stuck I saw cable length < 10m and link 10mbit to 1Gbit. When unstuck cable length varied from say 20m to 22m.

Just press the blue button in the rear, config bios again, check smartlan and you should be good to go

Sure! Let me know when you will be in Davis next. I do like a good pilsner.

Are you using my files? Did you install Chameleon RC5 onto the flash drive?

I can't remember if 10.6 even works natively with this setup. 10.6.3 definitely does though.

Did you enable AHCI under Integrated Peripherals in the BIOS?

Boot with -f -v -x and take a picture of the kernel panic/freeze.

Hi thanks for your reply I installed with 10.6.3 now, I have combo updated to 10.6.5 and used ibeast with your dsdt file. What do I do with the other files? How do I change the processor name it currently says quad core xeon mac pro 3.1 cpu speed 3.10 So i need to change the processor name and the speed? Also how do I know if my graphics card is fully supported working it is a nvidia 8600gts as it is likely im going to be running parallels for a couple of games and other little programs i may need as Im a web designer.

I hope to hear back from you soon :)

Oh btw. Before I installed your dsdt everything was working out of the box? Internet sound and video? Ha!

It wasn't working out of the box. iBeast installs drivers.

You can go to About this mac->More Info->Graphics/Displays to see if your card is detected properly.

You can change the About this Mac info if you want, but it is cosmetic. You can look up how to modify your SMBIOS.plist to change that info. Normally that is inside the Extra folder, but I don't know where iBeast puts that.

I don't use iBeast and I don't recommend it, so if you have any problems you should probably go to Tony Mac's forums since he made iBeast.

Using iBeast ensures that you have no idea what even happened to make your install work.

Here is something strange - I reported few days ago around 12500 on GeekBench with CPU overclocked to 4GHz. Well the system crashed few minutes afterwards and I was unable to get to this score ever since.

My score got actually lowered to 7500ish with all components (CPU, mem) almost cut in half. When I change settings back to normal I am getting my 'same ol' sameol' score of ~9900ish. But as soon as I OC no matter what voltages etc I put in the performance (at least measurable) gets hammered. Same downgrade with geekbench, cinebench cpu test or xbench.

The CPU however appear to be clocking 4ghz judging by the temperature (iStat), system profiler reading and of course BIOS. So it looks like OS is somehow unable to take advantage of that which is mystery to me since at first it did. I cleared caches too and reboot still no change. So I am lost...this is a complete mystery to me...

My BIOS settings were:

Advanced CPU Features:

CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]

QPI Link Speed ..............................[x36]

Uncore Frequency ..........................[3600]

Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]

BCLK Frequency (MHz) .....................[200]

System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [8]

It wasn't working out of the box. iBeast installs drivers.

You can go to About this mac->More Info->Graphics/Displays to see if your card is detected properly.

You can change the About this Mac info if you want, but it is cosmetic. You can look up how to modify your SMBIOS.plist to change that info. Normally that is inside the Extra folder, but I don't know where iBeast puts that.

I don't use iBeast and I don't recommend it, so if you have any problems you should probably go to Tony Mac's forums since he made iBeast.

Using iBeast ensures that you have no idea what even happened to make your install work.

Sorry, how would you have advised I apply the things you posted? Like the dsdt? I thought iBeast was the only way to do through the userdsdt section that just installs that and the bootloader since I didnt check any alternative things. Also yes it was working straight out of the box because I only used a bootloader and installed 10.6.3 and my networking was working the video and audio both played on the intro video and on a youtube video. Then I installed iBeast and your dsdt.aml file and the networking had stopped working until I installed the networking package from lnx2mac and the same with the audio files you had attached.

Everybody seems to use these methods but I assure you that i would much rather know what is going on and have a list of tools shown to me from somebody that knows what to do and be able to do it without having to come on a forum and post for advice adversely making a 17minute install a 1 week long dilemma.

I do hope you provide some adequate information on how else I could have done these processes as I doubt it will be the last time I install mac os x.

I also have a further request of your infinite wisdom and that is to show me how to make a duplicate bootable version of the hard disk I have got mac osx installed onto, as unfortunately it is a 2.5" HDD that wont mount in my computer and isn't the fastest drive!

Thankyou

Here is something strange - I reported few days ago around 12500 on GeekBench with CPU overclocked to 4GHz. Well the system crashed few minutes afterwards and I was unable to get to this score ever since.

My score got actually lowered to 7500ish with all components (CPU, mem) almost cut in half. When I change settings back to normal I am getting my 'same ol' sameol' score of ~9900ish. But as soon as I OC no matter what voltages etc I put in the performance (at least measurable) gets hammered. Same downgrade with geekbench, cinebench cpu test or xbench.

The CPU however appear to be clocking 4ghz judging by the temperature (iStat), system profiler reading and of course BIOS. So it looks like OS is somehow unable to take advantage of that which is mystery to me since at first it did. I cleared caches too and reboot still no change. So I am lost...this is a complete mystery to me...

My BIOS settings were:

Advanced CPU Features:

Perhaps your first reading was wrong and thats why your system crashed? All the other reading are the true reading and that is why it doesnt crash afterwards?

Just my 2 cents!

Sorry, how would you have advised I apply the things you posted? Like the dsdt? I thought iBeast was the only way to do through the userdsdt section that just installs that and the bootloader since I didnt check any alternative things. Also yes it was working straight out of the box because I only used a bootloader and installed 10.6.3 and my networking was working the video and audio both played on the intro video and on a youtube video. Then I installed iBeast and your dsdt.aml file and the networking had stopped working until I installed the networking package from lnx2mac and the same with the audio files you had attached.

Everybody seems to use these methods but I assure you that i would much rather know what is going on and have a list of tools shown to me from somebody that knows what to do and be able to do it without having to come on a forum and post for advice adversely making a 17minute install a 1 week long dilemma.

I do hope you provide some adequate information on how else I could have done these processes as I doubt it will be the last time I install mac os x.

I also have a further request of your infinite wisdom and that is to show me how to make a duplicate bootable version of the hard disk I have got mac osx installed onto, as unfortunately it is a 2.5" HDD that wont mount in my computer and isn't the fastest drive!

Thankyou

Listen, you should stop monkeying with the install and and start following up info posted here to the letter and not looking left and right and then expecting help regarding messed up installation. Really. If you do that the result is guaranteed.

As for my readings there is no false and right one. Software if a software and hardware is a hardware. 0s and 1s and hips don't lie :-)

Listen, you should stop monkeying with the install and and start following up info posted here to the letter and not looking left and right and then expecting help regarding messed up installation. Really. If you do that the result is guaranteed.

As for my readings there is no false and right one. Software if a software and hardware is a hardware. 0s and 1s and hips don't lie :-)

It is installed. My question was to help progress my knowledge?

If you have two identical hard drives, it is possible to make a duplicate by using the "dd" command to copy byte-for-byte from one drive to the other. But when the drives are different, that doesn't work well. It often doesn't work at all due to differences in drive geometry. If it does work, the copy will have partitions the same size as the original drive, and you won't be able to access any extra space in the new drive. The best approach would be to install the new drive in your computer and set it up using the 2.5" drive. You would use Disk Utility to partition the new drive, install Chameleon on it, then copy the contents of your partitions. To copy the partitions you can boot from an OS X install DVD, run Disk Utillity, and use the "restore" function to restore the new drive partitions from the old drive.

My BIOS settings were:

Advanced CPU Features:

Overclocking can be a bit tricky. An unstable overclock can lead to the low benchmarking scores that you report.

You might try googling up X58A overclocking guides, or stopping by d00d's power-management thread where he lists the voltages that work for his x58 board at 3.8, 4.0, and 4.2GHz. Each board and CPU are a bit different, but those are good starting places. I remember that you said you were using all Auto on the voltages, which is really really not advised for a stable overclock.

Start small, at say 3.4GHz. Run OCCT for 10 minutes, look at the temps (stay below 76C at full load w/ HT on), and then restart and adjust higher. Keep doing that until you get to around 3.8GHz, or whatever your target speed is. Also, if your System Memory Multiplier is x8, make sure that your uncore multiplier is x16. It is a general rule for i7s, other than the 980x, to run at 2:1 to memory speed.

You can test if your overclock is stable using stress tests. I use OCCT and windows. OS X seems to suffer from a dearth of good stress testing utilities and I have a suspicion that the operation system in some way compensates for unstable overclocks. There have been multiple times in my experience where Windows fails to even load with an overclock on, but OS X has been running without a hitch for hours.

Thankyou

I suggest you read a guide. This thread is not a guide and I won't rehash basic information that is readily available. If you go to the tutorial section of the website: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=45

You will see many guides for Snow Leopard installs. I can understand your assumption that the thread devoted to your motherboard should answer all of the questions--but the thing is--all installs of snow leopard are the same. The only thing that is special about the X58A-UD3R is the exact combination of drivers needed. That is why I posted my files. That post contains every driver you need.

You can read any guide and just use my Extra folder instead of the one for the motherboard in the guide. You can install any solitary kexts that are not in the Extra folder using Kext Utility. If you can't get ethernet or sound to work, then check what audio chipset your motherboard uses. Then use insanelymac to research what specific kext, or combination of kexts, make that exact chipset work.

I highly suggest reading this guide in its entirety:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954

Also, going to Chameleons website and reading the Read Me might be a good idea. Chameleon is the single most important part of an OS X install, so knowing what it can do and why is very important to understanding your install.

It is the most user-friendly and complete guide on the different methods one could use to install Snow Leopard. Make sure to download the many PDFs and read through them.

You can clone your harddrive with disk utility, carbon copy cloner, or any other cloning program for Macs. I have found that you normally have to install Chameleon on the new drive after cloning as the drive is inactive and/or missing the MBR files.

I'm still getting some stuttering in video playback which has been very frustrating. I'll be playing an AVI file and every 2 minutes or so the video and audio will just stop for a brief pause and then continue. I don't think it's anything to do with overheating or DPC latency, but no idea what else could be causing it.

I haven't updated to 10.6.5 cause of the issues people were having, but I am running two video cards (not sure if that would cause any issues)

Any ideas what else could be causing it?

If it happens so consistently then it should be easy to track it down.

Have you tried just pulling out one of the cards and seeing if it is fixed? Have you done a fresh install? Are you using my driver package? Also, 10.6.5 did not cause any problems with my system. You need to re-install AppleHDA, but nothing unusual there.

If it happens so consistently then it should be easy to track it down.

Have you tried just pulling out one of the cards and seeing if it is fixed? Have you done a fresh install? Are you using my driver package? Also, 10.6.5 did not cause any problems with my system. You need to re-install AppleHDA, but nothing unusual there.

Hey maleorderbride - where is the driver package? I'm using a DSDT from very early in the thread.

I haven't tried a fresh install - sounds painful with all the media etc I have on my drive, perhaps I can do it on another disk and copy it over or is there a way to do installs without wiping the drive?

Perhaps it's audio and not video, I think I'm using a very old Voodoo for audio. Thanks for the advice - yes, these things are easy to do but taking apart my machine is always a bit of a pain :)

Hey maleorderbride - where is the driver package? I'm using a DSDT from very early in the thread.

I haven't tried a fresh install - sounds painful with all the media etc I have on my drive, perhaps I can do it on another disk and copy it over or is there a way to do installs without wiping the drive?

Perhaps it's audio and not video, I think I'm using a very old Voodoo for audio. Thanks for the advice - yes, these things are easy to do but taking apart my machine is always a bit of a pain -_-

Doing a fresh install on a different disk sounds like a good idea.

My drivers are attached to post #273 or something right around there. I am using normal AppleHDA and everything works audio-wise. The DSDT has all of the edits and is non-CPU specific. Make sure to install the new version of Chameleon (linked in that same post), otherwise sleep might not work properly with my DSDT.

My BIOS settings were:

Advanced CPU Features:

I'd follow MaleorderBride's advice, especially with your voltages. I'd also like to add the following though as I had a similar problem with fluctuating benchmarks.

Make sure you're using the correct DSDT. Use the one Maleorderbride posted a while back. Also make sure your power management settings in your BIOS are all on. When I initially set up my overclock, I disabled all the power saving features and this I found to be the cause of different geekbench scores. Also set your RAM voltages manually.

This is a snapshot of my Geekbench score now, which is 99% consistent (variance is negligible).

bit9j7.png

I'm using Maleorderbrides EXTRA folder, and I installed via the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Method which worked flawlessly.

My specs are:

CPU: i7 950

RAM: 6 gigs Triple Channel Corsair XMS 3

GPU: Nvidia GTX 280

If anyone wants to follow the guide I followed to install, here is a link to the readme: guide.txt

This has both an [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method (I used this method) as well as a Kakewalk method (which I hear is good too)

Let me know how you all get on.

Later

Try my attached Extra folder and the most current C2RC5. The DSDT and Boot.plist is CPU independent and P/C states work. All mods have been done from D00d's thread.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5p5eq3pnsu4f43w

Also, try turning off your overclock if you have one on.

To get audio to work you need to use a modded AppleHDA or one from 10.6.2.

I did this and seriously f'ed my machine. I have a custom device-properties config in my Boot.plist to support two graphics cards and a very early DSDT from nullspot I believe.

First, I upgraded to 10.6.5. This was fine except I had no audio. I tried a few AppleHDA kexts that looked promising but none restored my audio (they made it so I had an audio driver (volume worked)) but no sound.

I installed Chameleon 2RC5 and this DSDT and was still able to boot but without high res graphics, Quartz or CI. Then I tried to use your Boot.plist with my mod for the device-properties and I haven't been able to boot since.

What are my options for reverting this? I have Time Machine but not sure if I can use it (I've tried booting with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] into a MacOS SL Boot disk but it keeps crashing since it's reading the /Extra directory. When I removed the HD, it crashed with a No HPET error.

Not sure WTF is going on but seems like things are more messed up than I would've imagined.

Can I get a SATA enclosure and mount my HD into another OSX machine and try to repair the files there?

I did this and seriously f'ed my machine. I have a custom device-properties config in my Boot.plist to support two graphics cards and a very early DSDT from nullspot I believe.

First, I upgraded to 10.6.5. This was fine except I had no audio. I tried a few AppleHDA kexts that looked promising but none restored my audio (they made it so I had an audio driver (volume worked)) but no sound.

I installed Chameleon 2RC5 and this DSDT and was still able to boot but without high res graphics, Quartz or CI. Then I tried to use your Boot.plist with my mod for the device-properties and I haven't been able to boot since.

What are my options for reverting this? I have Time Machine but not sure if I can use it (I've tried booting with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] into a MacOS SL Boot disk but it keeps crashing since it's reading the /Extra directory. When I removed the HD, it crashed with a No HPET error.

Not sure WTF is going on but seems like things are more messed up than I would've imagined.

Can I get a SATA enclosure and mount my HD into another OSX machine and try to repair the files there?

I was able to get back up and running by taking out one of my graphics cards and going to 4GB of RAM from 6GB, then booting into the install disk, using Terminal to replace the DSDT.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist with my previous files.

I still have no sound, can someone point me to a good explanation of what AppleHDA stuff I need? The stuff in maleorderbride's ZIP file didn't work for me.

I used to get sound out of Line Out on my machine, now none of the jacks have any audio (and I don't even always get a driver recognized for the audio). Do I have to use maleorderbride's DSDT (that's what messed up my machine) to use his audio drivers? Are there standard 10.6.5 AppleHDA kexts somewhere?

I was able to get back up and running by taking out one of my graphics cards and going to 4GB of RAM from 6GB, then booting into the install disk, using Terminal to replace the DSDT.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist with my previous files.

I still have no sound, can someone point me to a good explanation of what AppleHDA stuff I need? The stuff in maleorderbride's ZIP file didn't work for me.

I used to get sound out of Line Out on my machine, now none of the jacks have any audio (and I don't even always get a driver recognized for the audio). Do I have to use maleorderbride's DSDT (that's what messed up my machine) to use his audio drivers? Are there standard 10.6.5 AppleHDA kexts somewhere?

You should do a fresh install on a different HDD. You probably have a lot of differing audio methods going on with your current install. If you have more than one audio solution in place then none of them work.

My audio solution is a DSDT HDEF edit, a legacy kext in Extensions, and a 10.6.2 vanilla AppleHDA.kext. It is all standard stuff.

Sound, and everything else, works perfectly with my package, but it is a complete deal. You can't just pick the DSDT and not the kext, or just the DSDT and not the com.Apple.Boo.plist. It all works together. You also need to use the RC5 I have linked. If you have a problem with a fresh install, then we can do some troubleshooting.

I doubt your old DSDT has any video related info in it. So, why don't you add your device-properties for your video cards to my com.Apple.Boot.plist, disable graphics enabler (if your boot.plist calls for it) and use that to do a new install. Use my Extensions, my boot.plist+your one/two edits, my DSDT, and my SMBIOS.

After you finish installing update to current version, then use kext utility to install the AppleHDA.kext, Lnx2Mac's driver, and the USB 3.0 kext.

You should do a fresh install on a different HDD. You probably have a lot of differing audio methods going on with your current install. If you have more than one audio solution in place then none of them work.

My audio solution is a DSDT HDEF edit, a legacy kext in Extensions, and a 10.6.2 vanilla AppleHDA.kext. It is all standard stuff.

Sound, and everything else, works perfectly with my package, but it is a complete deal. You can't just pick the DSDT and not the kext, or just the DSDT and not the com.Apple.Boo.plist. It all works together. You also need to use the RC5 I have linked. If you have a problem with a fresh install, then we can do some troubleshooting.

I doubt your old DSDT has any video related info in it. So, why don't you add your device-properties for your video cards to my com.Apple.Boot.plist, disable graphics enabler (if your boot.plist calls for it) and use that to do a new install. Use my Extensions, my boot.plist+your one/two edits, my DSDT, and my SMBIOS.

After you finish installing update to current version, then use kext utility to install the AppleHDA.kext, Lnx2Mac's driver, and the USB 3.0 kext.

Thanks for your patience and excellent response. One question about the fresh installs, can I install OVER my current install (keeping my docs and apps), or do I have to wipe the drive clean?

Also, could I use everything in your package without a fresh install and just adding in my Boot.plist edits? I'm not sure how the Graphics stuff plays into it, I have GraphicsEnabler set to yes in my current one along with the device-properties string.

I also have my stuff backed up to Time Machine, if I wipe out the disk and install fresh, can I restore most of the stuff with Time Machine (settings etc would be nice to keep as well)

Thanks again, much appreciated.