Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

holy {censored}.... this thread still lives after nearly 8 months! I haven't been on these forums in a long time, as once I had my hack purring, I just wanted to get back to real life...

Now I'm wanting to update to 10.6.6 from 10.6.4, so I figured I'd poke around and try to remember just how I did all this the first time (in case I break anything, which I probably will)

...shocked to find people still posting on this thread as of yesterday :hysterical:

I've been totally out of the loop, so nothing to contribute just yet...

let me know if there's anything I should watch out for when updating my kakewalk install to 10.6.6

We missed you welcome back ;)

Kisses :)

Thanks for the clarification on 64-bit. As long as there is no day to day noticeable differences, I'll stay with the compatible setting.

Here is the link to the dsdt edit. Its from this thread, post number 140.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1521676

Here is the thread (DSDT Auto-Patcher) where they are still using the IOACHIBlockStorageInjector.kext saying that it is not used because the "fix" had hot plug problems (maybe why d00d omitted it in his guide). I assumed they were talking about the dsdt "fix" that was linked to above. It's in the first post.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1571259

I got the link to the DSDT Auto-Patcher thread from the first post of the previous page (24) of this thread.

I hope this helps. Thanks again for everything!

It turns out the orange icon fix is a different version of a patch d00d has. The patches are the same, except d00d has

Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x22, 0x3a, 0x00, 0x00
						}

and the orange icon fix has:

Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00
						}

I think the orange icon fix has the ICH10 controller showing up as ESB2 instead, which doesn't seem like a good idea to me, so I think I'll keep the patch as is, and use the injector kext.

FWIW - I used 10.6.6 combo updater and had no problems at all. Rebooted just fine - but missing audio (as expected). Note - I am running chameleon on an internal usb thumb drive, and I have a dedicated network card (never could trust the built-in ethernet, even when it "worked"), and I have a heavily customized DSDT, and a "FA" bios. Thus the only patched file I had in S/L/E was AppleHDA.kext.

I checked out the latest 1.0 macman ALCxxx audio driver (I was previously using 0.3) on tonymac's site. I wish they offered it for download standalone, but you have to grab the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and dig through options to install just the audio kexts. They've also provided an AppleHDA "rollback" (basically a modified 10.6.2 version (1.7.9f1)) kext that must be placed in S/L/E. I did all this, and my audio returned, but the I/O labels were a bit different, and most importantly, my *encoded* digital out was gone - so no DolbyDigital or DTS :-(

So I used my own rollback AppleHDA.kext (based on 10.6.4 (1.8.7f1)), together with macman's ALCxxx kext in E/E. Reboot, and got my encoded digital outs back ;-)

I've attached the kext for those still trying to figure out how to get encoded DD/DTS audio working...

AppleHDA_187f1.kext.zip

I wish they offered it for download standalone, but you have to grab the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and dig through options to install just the audio kexts.

You can use Pacifist to open [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and extract kexts: http://www.charlessoft.com/

So I used my own rollback AppleHDA.kext (based on 10.6.4 (1.8.7f1)), together with macman's ALCxxx kext in E/E. Reboot, and got my encoded digital outs back ;-)

I've attached the kext for those still trying to figure out how to get encoded DD/DTS audio working...

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Always good to get the most complete audio support.

I have a heavily customized DSDT, and a "FA" bios.

I think I am still using your DSDT and if you read some post ago dougaa was suggesting me some modifications; but I am not sure I will manage to :) . Anyway will you make a new one for the FE bios?

Moreover I am still trying to figure out a way for having my HD drives to be hot-swappable as they are supposed to (I think...) some times ago Professor posted in this thread saying he did manage but the link he was posting was broken and didn't hear since. All hard drives I have can be removed without opening the case and I have also one eSata connected so it would be nice if I could unmount/eject a drive then mount a another one in. Up to now I am forced to power down and reboot.

It turns out the orange icon fix is a different version of a patch d00d has. The patches are the same, except d00d has
							Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x22, 0x3a, 0x00, 0x00
						 }

and the orange icon fix has:

Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00
						 }

I think the orange icon fix has the ICH10 controller showing up as ESB2 instead, which doesn't seem like a good idea to me, so I think I'll keep the patch as is, and use the injector kext.

You're right

post-591667-1295322797_thumb.png

works all ok??

method used and files?

Note:

My guide install

I used pretty much the same guide you made, except with the nvidia drivers. I used dougaa's extra folder though, and edited the com.apple.boot so my apple splash screen could show in high res.

Is the nvidia driver a 400 -500 series thing? I've only used graphics enabler, but I have a 260. If I could use the driver, would it offer better performance?

Hello all! I am having trouble with audio output after using the combo updater to 10.6.6. Namely, I don't have any. Everything else seems to be working just fine. I've got the FE bios.

I used the kakewalk 3.1 method of installation as described in the first post.

I'm using the DSDT for the FE bios found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt.php#

I've tried to get audio working from post 503, but it still doesn't show up.

I've also tried using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.1, both the ALC8xxHDA and the Rollback and the HDAEnabler. Nothing.

If someone would be kind enough to show me how to remove any damage I may have done and install some fresh, working kexts / DSDT I would be very appreciative.

Hello all! I am having trouble with audio output after using the combo updater to 10.6.6. Namely, I don't have any. Everything else seems to be working just fine. I've got the FE bios.

I used the kakewalk 3.1 method of installation as described in the first post.

I'm using the DSDT for the FE bios found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt.php#

I've tried to get audio working from post 503, but it still doesn't show up.

I've also tried using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.1, both the ALC8xxHDA and the Rollback and the HDAEnabler. Nothing.

If someone would be kind enough to show me how to remove any damage I may have done and install some fresh, working kexts / DSDT I would be very appreciative.

Only you can know what may need to be undone to remove any damage. The best I can suggest is to get everything working with a clean install, then try to get your current system to match the clean install. When I use the Chameleon I posted and the Extra folder I posted (my complete set of files), audio work for me. My DSDT for BIOS FE is probably not the same as the one at www.tonymacx86.com.

I'd like to express my thanks to everybody involved in providing all the useful information in this thread! After much reading and a little bit of experimenting with BIOS settings, kexts and DSDT, I have working "Hack Pro" now.

My method was to use disk utility to clone an original 10.6 install DVD to an 8 GB USB stick. I then installed chameleon RC 5 / 699 using the unofficial installer package and put the /Extra folder from dougaa's post #471 on it. This booted and installed fine. Before rebooting, I installed chameleon via Terminal to the SATA drive.

My hardware setup

• GA-X58X-UD3R Rev 2, Bios FE
  • Core i7 950, 3x4 GB Kingston ValueRAM 1333Mhz
  • Asus Geforce 9600GT with a 24" monitor via DVI and a 20" via VGA
  • Apple Airport extreme mini card via PCI express x1 adapter
  • DLINK DBT-120 with Apple Magic Mouse

I've been pounding the machine with Handbrake and Compressor for the last two days at almost 100%CPU without a hiccup. I'm not an overclocker - I think it is pretty quick at stock speed. I found that using the DSDT from post #471 resulted in 15% higher Geekbench 32bit scores (around 9600) as well as Cinebench CPU (5.59) compared to the other DSDTs I've tried.

The box even "survived" hibernation, managing to continue up a transcode job from a network volume. Hibernating 12 GB RAM needs a lot of patience, though...

Sound works also through the front headphone port.

The only remaining issues are minor:

• Wake up from sleep by bluetooth mouse doesn't work (USB mouse and keyboard wakeup works)
  • The ethernet card doesn't autodetect the link speed, and even when manually set to gigabit speed, it only works at 100Mbit/s despite being connected to a gigabit router/switch

I guess waking up via bluetooth mouse is Apple hardware specific. However, a faster network connection would be nice to have.

I guess waking up via bluetooth mouse is Apple hardware specific. However, a faster network connection would be nice to have.

From what I've read, even though overall it's a great motherboard, the built-in networking doesn't always work well. This is not an OS X issue, but also applies to Windows and linux. Also, for the most reliable and fastest networking, you can't beat the Intel cards. In his guide d00d recommends the Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter - network adapter, Mfg. Part: EXPI9301CT. The newegg link is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833106036, currently $40 with free shipping. You should be able to make full use of gigabit ethernet with that card. It's working well for me. I'm attaching the modified IONetworkingFamily kext I use for it.

Edit: Newegg also has the OEM version (bare card) at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833106033 for $29 + $4 shipping.

modified_network_kext_for_Intel.zip

From what I've read, even though overall it's a great motherboard, the built-in networking doesn't always work well. This is not an OS X issue, but also applies to Windows and linux. Also, for the most reliable and fastest networking, you can't beat the Intel cards.

Thanks for your suggestion! I just ordered a very cheap Marvell Yukon card because it was half the price of the Intel and should be update-proof since it uses vanilla drivers. But I agree - Intel NICs are the best for reliability.

I'll report if it the cheap card works.

All of a sudden, I have a shutdown problem: I didn't change any hard- or software configuration, but now the machine fails to shut down correctly. It simply boots again a second after the screens went black. When it comes up again, sleep also fails similarly - it very quickly wakes up after about a one second blank screen.

Sleep works again for a session if I reactivate it using

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

until the next failed shutdown.

Any ideas? Toying with the BIOS settings made no difference, so I changed everything back to the state when it still worked.

Yes! Thank you, I mean it is not a good thing and I am sorry we both had the same problem,

Mine too on post 480

From what I know it was cause by me adding a wireless card Posted here.

But if you didn't change hardware it might be a chameleon or osx86 problem?

OK, this is what i know,

1, Not Bios, I have reset, reflash to FA, FD, Back to FE not fix.

I even tried all optimize option. Which render my OSX.6.6 went bad.

2, OSX86, reinstall all new with multibeat ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]), and kakewalk. even tried the old by hand all terminal way, no joy.

3,Window7 boot from disk 2 work, shutdown no problem. Which might mean it was cause by osx86? compatibility?

Will update more result of my experiment.

All of a sudden, I have a shutdown problem: I didn't change any hard- or software configuration, but now the machine fails to shut down correctly. It simply boots again a second after the screens went black. When it comes up again, sleep also fails similarly - it very quickly wakes up after about a one second blank screen.

Sleep works again for a session if I reactivate it using

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

until the next failed shutdown.

Any ideas? Toying with the BIOS settings made no difference, so I changed everything back to the state when it still worked.

:))-->

QUOTE (^_^ @ Jan 25 2011, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes! Thank you, I mean it is not a good thing and I am sorry we both had the same problem,

Mine too on post 480

OK, this is what i know,

2, OSX86, reinstall all new with multibeat ([url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]), and kakewalk. even tried the old by hand all terminal way, no joy.

3,Window7 boot from disk 2 work, shutdown no problem. Which might mean it was cause by osx86? compatibility?

One possibility is that something is going wrong with the code in Chameleon that sets the C-States and P-States. Although it is a bit of work, you could try the changes to com.apple.Boot.plist and the DSDT which I described in post #493. Then the C-States and P-States will be defined by the DSDT instead being computed by Chameleon.

QUOTE ( ^_^ @ Jan 25 2011, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes! Thank you, I mean it is not a good thing and I am sorry we both had the same problem,

Mine too on post 480

OK, this is what i know,

2, OSX86, reinstall all new with multibeat ([url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]), and kakewalk. even tried the old by hand all terminal way, no joy.

One possibility is that something is going wrong with the code in Chameleon that sets the C-States and P-States. Although it is a bit of work, you could try the changes to com.apple.Boot.plist and the DSDT which I described in post #493. Then the C-States and P-States will be defined by the DSDT instead being computed by Chameleon.

Will definately try that, but since i have 0 knowledge of DSDT, Might have to research more of that.

My problem was definitely cause by wireless card or converter?

This is what I have

Mini PCI to PCIx1 Converter

Apple Atheros AR5008 AR5BXB72 300M 802.11ABGN wireless card

After disconnecting the PCI card, it shutdown perfectly...

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks.

^_^)-->

QUOTE (^_^ @ Jan 26 2011, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will definately try that, but since i have 0 knowledge of DSDT, Might have to research more of that.

This is what I have

Thanks for mentioning this! Removing the Airport card (I have exactly the same one) made the problem go away!

Very strange that it was working fine for about five days...

mine too works in a very very very blue moon.

Any solution you've got?

QUOTE ( :D @ Jan 26 2011, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will definately try that, but since i have 0 knowledge of DSDT, Might have to research more of that.

This is what I have

Thanks for mentioning this! Removing the Airport card (I have exactly the same one) made the problem go away!

Very strange that it was working fine for about five days...

^_^)-->

QUOTE (^_^ @ Jan 26 2011, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is what I have

Thanks.

Odd. I have the exact same PCI-x1 to PCI-e mini converter with the same Airport card in it and everything is working well over here.

QUOTE ( :thumbsup_anim: @ Jan 26 2011, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will definately try that, but since i have 0 knowledge of DSDT, Might have to research more of that.

This is what I have

Thanks.

Odd. I have the exact same PCI-x1 to PCI-e mini converter with the same Airport card in it and everything is working well over here.

Could you please post your dsdt so i can test?

Thanks

Ok, you have sleep enabler installed. No idea why, since this motherboard sleeps without it. You need to boot with the flag pmversion=20 (reference: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466).

After you get in delete that kext.

AppleHDA.kext needs to be re-installed after each major update. That is just the way it is, either that, or use VoodooHDA and have slightly inferior sound.

For some reason several people are having problems with audio, despite the solutions already being posted. So, here it is again:

1. Install Chameleon RC5

2. AppleHDA.kext needs to be dragged on top of Kext Utility, let it finish.

3. Copy and paste my Extra folder, replacing your current Extra folder.

4. Reboot and you are done.

Audio 5.1, digital audio, headphones with auto-detection, etc will all work.

All of d00d's edits, up to September 28th are done. Sleep will work, and all CPUs are supported with speedstep and correct P/C states.

All normal video cards are supported OOB other than the GTX 470, 480, HD58xx series, and non-reference designs.

Oh, and the realtek driver is ethernet support for 32/64-bit that does not break sleep. Install with kext utility if you need it.

Edit:

I now am using Lnx2Mac's ethernet drivers. They don't see to be giving me any problems and have a higher throughput than the one's I included in the package. You can find them here: http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

Edit2:

I attached the USB 3.0 drivers (PXHCD.kext). install with kext utility to S/L/E

A mirror of the same files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4hbrnq27dlox3qd

http://www.mediafire.com/?6dw1hn4zwp3w7z0

Tried it,

Boot faster but still restart after shutdown.

What method did you use to install your osx?

What Bios are you currently using?

How many memory and HDrive do you have in your mobo at the moment?

:wacko:)-->

QUOTE (;) @ Jan 28 2011, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tried it,

Boot faster but still restart after shutdown.

What method did you use to install your osx?

What Bios are you currently using?

How many memory and HDrive do you have in your mobo at the moment?

Have you tried a different OS? That has happened to me on an ASUS P6T before and it turns out the motherboard was defective. It did it in Windows & OS X.

I am using FE with default settings in BIOS: changes to AHCI, 64-bit, overclocking to 3.83GHz, disabled turbo-boost. I have 12GBs (6x2GB) and 3 HDDs.

Does EvoReboot fix the problem for you? If not, then I really think you have a hardware problem, not a software problem. You could do a fresh install with my files though to really be sure.