Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

I would imagine your overclock settings are not quite right. Performance increases proportionately, for me, with overclocking. I keep all energy saving settings on.

What Vcore are you running at 4.0GHz? What about Load-line calibration?

I attached some kexts that need to go in /E/E that should allow iStat monitoring for you. Make sure to drag the entire Extensions folder on top of kext utility.

Maleorderbride

Thanks for the speedy response.

I've installed your kexts and now get an "Ambient" temp. reading in iStat. I've got this far before but thought it wasn't quiet right as it seemed a little low compared to my Windows7 Coretemp readings. Also, there's only 1 core. I've been reading in other posts of people managing to get all cores showing as well as the GPU temp. However, as soon as I go down this route I KP. What are you getting in iStat? Same?

Re my overclock. I'm running 1.38 Volts to the CPU and it's rock solid in Win7 running Orthos and Prime95 (a little hot, but hey, these i7 suckers are not like the Q6600's!). RAM is running at close to 1600 and QPI is 2x RAM. Benchmarking in Win7 seems fine - it's only a problem in OSX - particularly when turning off all CPU power saving. I don't like using power saving when OC'ing as it can cause stability issues. However, I won't be running my rig at 4.01 all the time, more likely 3.6 as I like the lower coretemps better. I'll experiment some more and try with all power management enabled. I'll let you know.

Cheers, and thanks again for all your help.

Well, I actually wasn't using iStat. however, I just downloaded iStat pro and it works oob with the normal drivers I posted in post #273 or whatever that was.

I don't even have those thermal kexts I uploaded installed. Here is my current Extra, boot, and iStat program in case I made some modification that I don't remember.

I don't think I will be able to help you in your quest to have proper benchmarks and disabled energy settings in the BIOS. I always leave them enabled and have a stable overclock. I am at 3.8Ghz and am getting ~37C idle, and 58-61 on load.

I am at 1.3125V with loadline calibration level 1.

Also, with iStat pro I only see two CPU temps, which is fine by me. I am not sure what you would need to tweak to see 4. I also see HDD temps, which look correct.

iStat_Extra.zip

Well, I actually wasn't using iStat. however, I just downloaded iStat pro and it works oob with the normal drivers I posted in post #273 or whatever that was.

I don't even have those thermal kexts I uploaded installed. Here is my current Extra, boot, and iStat program in case I made some modification that I don't remember.

I don't think I will be able to help you in your quest to have proper benchmarks and disabled energy settings in the BIOS. I always leave them enabled and have a stable overclock. I am at 3.8Ghz and am getting ~37C idle, and 58-61 on load.

Also, with iStat pro I only see two CPU temps, which is fine by me. I am not sure what you would need to tweak to see 4. I also see HDD temps, which look correct.

To see all cpu temp use temperature monitor http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

Hi Maleorderbride (always weird typing that!)

I can report success regarding getting all 4 of the CPU temps working. I've even got Northbridge and Heatsink temps! Here's how.

Check this post here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234452#

It's the Hardware Sensors Project which uses a modified version of FakeSMC (based on Slice's hard work). I tried this before with no luck and only last night worked out why it wasn't working.

I've attached the compiled kexts in case anyone gets confused. They need to be installed in either E/E or S/L/E. I have them in E/E - better management I think. The trick to getting it working was ditching the Nvidia GPU temperature kext - it caused all kinds of problems and I don't really care about GPU temps: maybe someone else in here will get it working with their card - my BFG GTX 280 didn't like it. There are also reports that putting the kexts in S/L/E can yield better results, but since we've all got the same motherboard and (hopefully DSDT's) you shouldn't need to install them there. If it works for me I don't see why it shouldn't work for everyone else.

WARNING: DO NOT INSTALL "NVCLOCK.KEXT" first time around - it may cause issues. You can mess around with it once you know everything's working. If you get kernel panics, it's because of this Kext.

Install and go to iStat preferences. Check out the Sensors section and you'll access to a whole lot more!

Let me know how it goes.

later

HWSensors_latest.zip

To see all cpu temp use temperature monitor http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

Yea, that does show all 4 of the cores. However, I noticed that iStat and TempMonitor display conflicting information regarding CPU temps. It differed by as much as 5C.

I mainly just test in windows though. OS X just does not seem to have the same suite of performance benchmarks and utilities.

Read every post here, and looking forward to building my new hack, although my current (GA-EP35-DS4) was extremely easy, it's christmas time, and that rig is aging a bit ;-) Even with a massive overclock 2.4Ghz -> 3.6Ghz/core. Feel confident enough to give this a go, Also been messing with getting my laptop (Vostro 1700) to work flawlessly, which it does, apart from sleep.

Got a parts list ready, from 2 UK eTailers

m0b0: GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2 (most likely)

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 Bloomfield 45nm, 3.06 GHz, QPI 4.8GT/s, 8MB Cache, 23x Ratio, 130W, Retail

GFX: GeForce 8800GT (Want to upgrade, but not settled on a worthwhile upgrade yet)

RAM: 12GB (preferably, but might settle on 6, and then buy the same RAM to fill empty slots later)

Case: CoolerMaster HAF X

Does anyone know of any RAM that's known to work well with a decent overclock, i'm going to buy 1600Mhz RAM, Just will have to scroll back and see what others are using maybe? (It's 5:44am, and i'm hacked out :) )

Any suggestions welcome, and absolutely GREAT reading and contributions from many members! <3

Does anyone know of any RAM that's known to work well with a decent overclock, i'm going to buy 1600Mhz RAM, Just will have to scroll back and see what others are using maybe? (It's 5:44am, and i'm hacked out :D )

Corsair Dominator series is suppose to be great for brutal overclockage.

corsair_dominator_ddr3_angl.jpg

RAM makes almost no difference in real world performance. Once you get above 1066MHz timings are the only thing that matter and even lower timings produce almost no visible effects outside of a benchmark test.

I would spend an extra $40 on a good CPU cooler and overclock the CPU 30%. You will actually be able to see a benefit from that.

Forgot to add that I will be buying a 3rd party HSF, I'm thinking a Noctua NH-D14, or a Thermaltake Frio. I do like the quiet, Currently using a (then) top of the range Tuniq Tower 120, on a 50% overclocked E6600, which I have (accidentally) many times left running completely passively :(

Will be overclocking to 4GHz+, RAM choices I've narrowed down to a few, not sure if it's worth spending extra on 2000GHz RAM, as I'd rather do what I've done currently (whack up the FSB to 401, and have the RAM run slightly slower, but with stable tighter timings)

I have, by choice (and a lot of reading) decided (pretty much) on 3x4GB kits, rather than filling all 6 slots, as it would appear (in some cases) to impede overclocks, as well as be less air-flowy around the DIMMs, unless I can be swayed ofcourse by someone on this thread, as (6x2) kits are sometimes cheaper ( http://www.ballicom.co.uk/components/memor...r3.p430661.html ) <- for example

Anyone have a preference, or insight as to the better cooler? Currently I have a rear potentiometer, so if need be I can krank it up (otherwise it's on minimum always)... I've noted that 1 of the 2 coolers has a way of kranking up/down, but that'd mean a constant case opening!

Noctua NH-D14 / Thermaltake Frio ?

As for RAM;

Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz (3x4GB) http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=157094 at an amazing smidge over £200!

G.Skill RipJaw 1600Mhz (3x4GB) http://www.memoryc.com/products/descriptio...x4GB/index.html at a bit more, but I've seen a lot of these kits used.

A little off topic toward the end, my apologies, Can't wait to join you guys within a few weeks <3

Agree with maleorderbride about RAM and performance. However, if you're looking for a highly overclockable RAM - Corsair Dominator is a great choice.

Regarding CPU coolers, from personal experience Scythe Mugen 2 is the best one you can get in terms of price/performance, then comes Noctua NH-D14.

Hi guys. Anyone tried 10.6.5?

If it works, is there any fixes we should do after an update like this? Like maybe reinstalling AppleHDA.kext? Cuz I'm nt updating to 10.6.5 fearing it'll break my great install here.

Also without any additional work I'm getting cinebench 23.51fps on my MSI GTX 260. Any thoughts? Is that good?

And any idea about the next 10.7 Lion? You think our board will be supported by the great community here? I'm willing to help as much as my tech knowledge permits :o

Also, when I open a game, I get a weird screen with just colored pixels and I have to click the mouse constantly for a couple seconds to pass it, weird. If I don't sometimes I will just hear the game work but I can't see anything, just black, unless I click the mouse constantly as soon as the game opens.

Thanks guys in advance.

Hi guys,

I installed 10.6.5 combo-update from HD sucsessfull on my test-partition.

Only AppleHDA.kext was broken, but after reinstalling the old one audio was back.

After restart: "CUDA Driver update required" pops up! (3.1.17 is my current version)

But there is no update available?

CUDA Update now available.

everything works fine.

argh, sound not working after updating to 10.6.5 even after restoring the kexts :/

<edit> got it working with voodooHDA which I had installed before but was causing kernel panics after upgrading to 10.6.5. I downloaded the latest voodooHDA which itself caused a kernel panic during the install but appears to be functioning correctly after the reboot.

You need to either delete or use a disabler for AppleHDA.kext if using VoodooHDA.

You can also just re-install the older 10.6.2 version of AppleHDA.kext to get your sound back the way it was before 10.6.5.

This will always be the case with each update, unless someone writes a standalone driver or finds someway to patch AppleHDA on the fly.

Ever since updating to 10.6.5, I'm having trouble shutting down and restarting. The system just hangs after I hit shutdown and restart. Anyone else having that issue?

I had the same issue but I fixed it with EvOreboot kext. All is good now.

I had the same issue but I fixed it with EvOreboot kext. All is good now.

Hmm that didn't seem to work for me. Do you mind posting the ev0reboot kext you're using? Maybe I grabbed an older version? Also, did you install it in /Extra/Extensions or S/L/E? Thanks for your help!

Hmm that didn't seem to work for me. Do you mind posting the ev0reboot kext you're using? Maybe I grabbed an older version? Also, did you install it in /Extra/Extensions or S/L/E? Thanks for your help!

I used the kext from Kexts.com. I put it in the OSX/Extra/Extensions folder. I also used ElliotforceLegacy kext to try and fix the bios reset since I have a dual boot with Win 7. I would try to install the ev0reboot kext again. Then if that doesn't fix it then Elliotforcelegacy.kext. The kext did not fix the bios reboot issue and I don't know enough to go in and edit dsdt file.

I used the kext from Kexts.com. I put it in the OSX/Extra/Extensions folder. I also used ElliotforceLegacy kext to try and fix the bios reset since I have a dual boot with Win 7. I would try to install the ev0reboot kext again. Then if that doesn't fix it then Elliotforcelegacy.kext. The kext did not fix the bios reboot issue and I don't know enough to go in and edit dsdt file.

Thanks for your help! I managed to fix it but didn't need either of the kexts you mentioned. Since I recently started using an external card for audio, I had neglected to re-install the 10.6.2 AppleHDA kext after updating to 10.6.5. After I installed that, the restart/shutdown has been working fine. I'm using ev0reboot or Ellitforcelegacy.

What bios reboot issue are you having? I have a dual boot with Win 7 too and it's working fine...

Thanks for your help! I managed to fix it but didn't need either of the kexts you mentioned. Since I recently started using an external card for audio, I had neglected to re-install the 10.6.2 AppleHDA kext after updating to 10.6.5. After I installed that, the restart/shutdown has been working fine. I'm using ev0reboot or Ellitforcelegacy.

What bios reboot issue are you having? I have a dual boot with Win 7 too and it's working fine...

When I reboot into Win 7, the bios date/time is wrong.

When I reboot into Win 7, the bios date/time is wrong.

That's because OS X sets the PCs internal clock to UTC, but Windows sets it to local time. You need startup programs you can run in OS X and Windows to reset the clock. I don't know of any, but maybe someone else does.

HI!

Been reading all posts but I´m in a hurry!

If I´m not wrong this build should work 100% right (I mean sleep / network / audio / stepping, and 64 bits what´s almost more important).

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (I´m buying it from newegg so I dont know if I´ll get a Rev1 or Rev2 mobo)

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

Item #: N82E16819115211

An nVidia 9800GTX+ that I´m currently using with my hack, and it works in 64bits perfectly.

Any input?

BIG THANKS!

I've been running strong for quite awhile, but a couple of things are annoying right now and I want to see if anyone has a fix for them.

1) On a cold boot, after 8 hours or so, my RAM count is always 8 GB in the boot-loader (aseres boot-loader, the one from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]), and I have to boot a second time to get it to recognize all 12 GB, everyday, its not that big of a deal, but having to boot my computer twice everyday can get frustrating.

2) The only way to get internet (using the one from earlier in the thread to get 64-bit and Ethernet) consistently every time is to boot in verbose mode. If I boot the computer and way away, it defaults to normal boot mode, and sometimes the internet does not work. I have to reboot and it works, or boot in verbose and it works every time. Again, minor, but kind of an annoyance.

Thanks for any help.

Been re-reading lots of pages, and think I've got all the extras I need, a lot of different versions and packages, but I'm confident that it'll be a straight forward install. Will let you all know how I progress, as well as ask any questions. I'm planning to overclock >=4.2GHz, and eventually change video card, now they're actually SUPPORTED :( shocking!

-

Placed my order a few days ago, due to arrive tomorrow! After much thought, researching, and narrowing down the price, as well as few (2) eTailers as possible, I have gone for the following components

Case: Coolermaster HAF X ( http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/...productId=40974 )

Mobo: GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2) ( http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/...productId=39589 )

CPU: Intel i7 950 3.06GHz D0 stepping ( http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+...productId=39341 )

HSF: Noctua NH-D14 ( http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/...productId=41109 )

RAM: 12GB (3x4GB) Patriot Viper II Sector 7 (7-9-7-21 1600Mhz) ( http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/in...;prodID=B528985 )

Gfx: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 1GB

PSU: (Existing) Corsair 520w

Audio: (Existing) Focusrite Saffire (Firewire)

Footnotes:

Cooler; Decided on the Noctua cooler as it's well proven, was going to be different, and grab a Thermalright Silver Arrow, but read that when applying a bit more voltage (if needed to OC) then its the weak spot of the cooler, the Noctua just eats it up! (can't find the article at the moment)

RAM; Decided on the Patriot RAM as its extremely low timings of 7-9-7-20 are the lowest i've seen, and read reviews of it running very easily at said timings at 1600Mhz, so even if i needed to run at faster, then i could slacken off some timings, and it'd still be as fast (if not faster) than other 2000Mhz RAM

Case; Decided on the HAF X as airflow is obviously important, loved the industrious/military look, The other case that caught my eye was a Fractal Designs Define XL ( http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=produc...y=2&prod=54 ). Although the r3 comes in a beautiful 'arctic white', the HAF X just took it because airflow is more important in such a potentially HOT rig!

Audio & Graphic: Existing focusrite saffire was used as it's known to work extremely well under MacOSX's coreaudio, so no kexts needed, just REAL `plug n play` as it is under win32/64,8800 GT is also well known to work.