Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

I am coming to a conclusion - after countless recent hours of fight - that my configuration is not compatible with 10.6.5. and the question is what is it compatible with.

X58A-UD3R rev.2 (off course:-) BIOS rev FB/FC/FD

i7-950

DDR3 12GB (3x4GB) 1600MHz Viper II Sector 7 Series Patriot PV7312G1600ELK

MSI GeForce 250GTS

The problems started after upgrade to 10.6.5 and application of the new nVidia drivers which (the drivers) I don't blame for instability (after what I've been through).

My system started to shut down randomly and spontaneously. Not freeze, no KP, just shut down like it would loose power. Or hard reboot. After long hours checking memory (memtest), mobo, processor and several SL installs with both Kakewalk and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

And as I write this another install of Kakewalk finished and the system shut down at the very first screen at the first boot and continues to do so on random basis at the next reboots.

just an hour ago I had 10.6.4 up and running with no shutdowns with FB bios. This morning all about shutdowns with FC, then FD and 10.6.5 and kakewalk and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Strange - the system was running fine for about a month. And now I can't get it through regular kakewalk install...

Maybe mobo is going bye bye, memtest shows no errors on memory...

As I write this and the system continues to shutdown here on this screen and next on other (now I got through Chameleon! wow!) I realize that this is a pointless post...

Just curious if anyone had similar issues.

Other then spontaneous reboots everything works like a charm including graphics, sound and network and BT keyboard and trackpad...

x58hack,

Did you change these settings in the Bios?

Integrated Peripherals set "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to "AHCI"

In Power Management set "ACPI Suspend Type" to "S3(STR)" and set "HPET Mode" to "64-bit mode"

Almost felt insulted :) . I said I had it running several times with all bioses (FA FB FC FD). I am trying to rule out the possible causes. The latest theory is a controller on my Corsair F80 SSD. Installing on a HD as we speak, then we will know. I think it is hardware more then anything if only I'd know what is it... Thanks for suggesting though.

One important advice for anyone with this board and networking issue - do flush your card using smart LAN and if that won't help clear CMOS (and don't forget to make changes in Bios afterwards). My adapter was stuck once so much that smartlan itself didn't help. CMOS clearing and SmartLan subsequently helped.

it's Zalman 600W with heat pipe specific for my case. But I've tried one I have spare and its not it. Plus As I said I was using the system for more then a month without any issue. I am leaving for Frys to get different mobo.

It really does sound like hardware. I use 10.6.5 with my Extra folder and have a GTS 250 as well. No problems beyond occasionally shutdown/restart, which I think is just because I've screwed with my install so many times.

When I do fresh installs it works fine. Insta shutdown really sounds like PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

It was hardware. Came from Fry's with two mobos - one returned UD3R and one new USB3. Guess what - UD3R defective, memory slots somehow corrupted didn't recognize sticks on appropriate channels, even after I put BIOS to FD... Apparently one has to be lucky with UD3R...

So I put in X58-USB3 - and everything works like a charm and faster then before. The funny part? Your (mailorderbride) package INCLUDING DSDT works without changes (except of sound). Your DSDT gives 9900 on 32bit geekbench vs. 9450 with DSDT 'for USB3' from tonymacx86.

Do you have any idea what could bring sound back on USB3? AppleHDA won't do it (it was bulletproof with UD3R). Still didn't do my research, just getting to it. Thanks!

It was hardware. Came from Fry's with two mobos - one returned UD3R and one new USB3. Guess what - UD3R defective, memory slots somehow corrupted didn't recognize sticks on appropriate channels, even after I put BIOS to FD... Apparently one has to be lucky with UD3R...

So I put in X58-USB3 - and everything works like a charm and faster then before. The funny part? Your (mailorderbride) package INCLUDING DSDT works without changes (except of sound). Your DSDT gives 9900 on 32bit geekbench vs. 9450 with DSDT 'for USB3' from tonymacx86.

Do you have any idea what could bring sound back on USB3? AppleHDA won't do it (it was bulletproof with UD3R). Still didn't do my research, just getting to it. Thanks!

x58hack, happy that you could resolve the problem ! don't be so pessimistic next time :)

for the sound, are you using an external sound system plugged in the USB3? did you try the usb2 becos it should enough fast for the sound (except if you use it for music recording)

Did you install the kext for the USB3? if no, you can find it when you launch the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], only install this kext and do a rebuilt cache, reboot.

according to your config, and to mine which is same minus 6Go RAM (and different trademark for ram and Grafic card) your bench result is not really high.

I could reach 11070.

did you check the RAM speed under system profiler?

you could switch to 64bits, to have a better score too (i'm in 64bits)

concerning my freeze problem, i was wondering if you used the latest nvidia graphic driver for tonymac (if not, don't install it becos it might create troubles).

you're in 10.6.5,right?

how did you proceed for the install?

cheers

x58hack, happy that you could resolve the problem ! don't be so pessimistic next time :D

for the sound, are you using an external sound system plugged in the USB3? did you try the usb2 becos it should enough fast for the sound (except if you use it for music recording)

Did you install the kext for the USB3? if no, you can find it when you launch the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], only install this kext and do a rebuilt cache, reboot.

according to your config, and to mine which is same minus 6Go RAM (and different trademark for ram and Grafic card) your bench result is not really high.

I could reach 11070.

did you check the RAM speed under system profiler?

you could switch to 64bits, to have a better score too (i'm in 64bits)

concerning my freeze problem, i was wondering if you used the latest nvidia graphic driver for tonymac (if not, don't install it becos it might create troubles).

you're in 10.6.5,right?

how did you proceed for the install?

cheers

I am one happy camper here so far. I got the sound on USB3 yesterday night using 2.56 voodooHDA.kext. Sleep works and everything.

I am running 10.6.5 on kakewalk with Mailorderbride UD3R package, Lnx2Mac's ethernet drivers and retail new nVidia graphics.

I'd be curious to see your 32bit geekbench score, I've heard that 64bit scores higher and I don't believe there could be tweaking which would push me higher save for overclocking.

I am quite happy I can get to work again :D

I am one happy camper here so far. I got the sound on USB3 yesterday night using 2.56 voodooHDA.kext. Sleep works and everything.

I am running 10.6.5 on kakewalk with Mailorderbride UD3R package, Lnx2Mac's ethernet drivers and retail new nVidia graphics.

I'd be curious to see your 32bit geekbench score, I've heard that 64bit scores higher and I don't believe there could be tweaking which would push me higher save for overclocking.

I am quite happy I can get to work again :(

Your score seem spot on for no overclocking. If you overclocked to 3.8GHz or so it would be in the 1100-1200 range.

Voodoo might be your only option for sound. You have ALC892, whereas my files are for ALC889. A quick perusal does not reveal any vanilla legacy kexts for that chipset.

Also, that motherboard is missing the 4 SATA III ports. Are you sure you want it? It might be better to do a straight exchange across for another X58A-UD3R. Don't let Fry's give you a motherboard that has already been returned.

My drivers would work with most X58 and even P55 Gigabyte boards, but may have odd quirks or instability when not with this exact motherboard. Testing and time will tell!

Glad everything is working!

Well I went ahead and uninstalled R1000.kext and installed Lnx2Mac's drivers using the .pkg. Still not getting networking :unsure: (However I can now load the networking from system preferences, whereas it froze before)...

Should I still have an IONetworkingfamily.kext? Or a modified one? I'm not even sure which I have. And maleorderbride, I used Kextutility on just AppleHDA, and my sound works fine, but I don't see where else I could have went wrong. No networking lights ever show up doing these kext modifications.. Could my power settings have something to do with it? Everything is set as instructed but I do have the RAM running overclocked (Non-turboed). Any ideas? (Yes set to S3, 64-bit, etc. etc. as instructed throughout this forum. Everything but networking seems to be running flawlessly.)

Well I went ahead and uninstalled R1000.kext and installed Lnx2Mac's drivers using the .pkg. Still not getting networking :lol: (However I can now load the networking from system preferences, whereas it froze before)...

Should I still have an IONetworkingfamily.kext? Or a modified one? I'm not even sure which I have. And maleorderbride, I used Kextutility on just AppleHDA, and my sound works fine, but I don't see where else I could have went wrong. No networking lights ever show up doing these kext modifications.. Could my power settings have something to do with it? Everything is set as instructed but I do have the RAM running overclocked (Non-turboed). Any ideas? (Yes set to S3, 64-bit, etc. etc. as instructed throughout this forum. Everything but networking seems to be running flawlessly.)

You should have a completely vanilla 10.6.5 S/L/E (other than the AppleHDA and Lnx2Mac's realtek driver). If you have any modified drivers, especially related to network, then you should remove them.

You might consider Dling the 10.6.5 combo update and re-installing it, then re-install AppleHDA again afterward.

Then, if you still have network problems, check that your E/E folder does not contain any networking files.

The last possibility is your ethernet port itself has a problem. There is a bug where the BIOS locks the port and it does not work at all. I think the solution is to re-flash the BIOS, but I can't quite remember where/when I read that. You might try clearing the CMOS first, then flashing the BIOS.

First off, let me say that I was so happy to find this thread! I really do need a support group for my new X58A-UD3R v2.0 mobo. I've been trying for two weeks to get a stable OSX Snow Leopard system running. It's been fun, but somewhat frustrating. I'd get one thing working, then nothing else. Then try another install, and other things work, but the rest doesn't. So I'll definitely be posting some questions here when I have time to sort out my current issues and what I need to know. Here are my system specs, in case anyone has any questions or comments about my configuration:

GA-X58A-UD3R v2.0 mobo FC bios (of course)

24 GB DDR3 1333 Gskill Ripjaws RAM

Intel Core i7 980-x 3.33 ghz CPU (not overclocked)

Corsair 750w PSU

NVidia Quadro FX 370 PCI Express-x16

Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA HDD

Dual boot OSX Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Retail Snow Leopard install with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], Combo update to 10.6.5

DSDT from the TonyMAC DSDT database

The things I am currently trying to get working smooth are the NTFS-3G read/write support and PS/2 keyboard. The audio, video, and internet seem to be working fine. I need to look through this lengthy thread to find maleorderbride's packaged files, but I just thought I would begin by introducing myself. I'm looking forward to utilizing the knowledge of fellow peer mobo users.

You should have a completely vanilla 10.6.5 S/L/E (other than the AppleHDA and Lnx2Mac's realtek driver). If you have any modified drivers, especially related to network, then you should remove them.

You might consider Dling the 10.6.5 combo update and re-installing it, then re-install AppleHDA again afterward.

Then, if you still have network problems, check that your E/E folder does not contain any networking files.

The last possibility is your ethernet port itself has a problem. There is a bug where the BIOS locks the port and it does not work at all. I think the solution is to re-flash the BIOS, but I can't quite remember where/when I read that. You might try clearing the CMOS first, then flashing the BIOS.

Thanks for the response... Well, I went ahead and flashed to FC Bios (I'm going to try re-flashing to FB now, since the ethernet light is still not coming on at all)..

Then reinstalled 10.6.5, which wiped my onboard audio and video until I applied your AppleHDA and nvidia drivers... Then installed Lnx2Macs Realtek drivers... Reboot, still no networking. Then I deleted IONetworkingfamily.kext, reboot, nProxy-Connection: keep-alive Cache-Control: max-age=0 networking, and now I can't access the networking panel without it freezing. So I'm assuming I need IONetworkingFamily.kext for this to work... I'm still just lost on why it's not working... (Did I mention it worked briefly at one point when I first got into osx and just plugged it in, now it only shows the cable being unplugged. I was able to get it to show as connected with the R1000 drivers, but did not detect my router or network.)

Thanks again for any help!

EDIT: I switched back to the R1000 kext with IONetworkingfamily.kext and my networking seems to work now.. somewhat.. It will not auto-detect my router, and when I enter the IP address and DNS server manually it says I am connected but still cannot access the internet (still no ethernet lights)... My next step is to re-flash back to FB and see if something comes about this time.... ;)

I ran into the same problem - Win7 was always +5 hours from local clock time.

In order to get them to agree you need to edit the Windows registry.

Click on the Start button and then in the search box type: regedit and hit enter.

Navigate down to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SYSTEM

CurrentControlSet

Control

TimeZoneInformation

right click in the right pane and select new dword.

Name it RealTimeIsUniversal exactly as I have typed it with no spaces and caps as first letter of each word (it is case sensitive)

Then set the value of the dword to 1

Save and exit. Shut down. Boot into OS X. Check your clock setting - reset if required. Reboot into Win7 and check your clock - it should read correctly now.

Instead of using 3rd party programs that run on startup, or even editing the registry, what I've found to work is to change the timezone in OSX to GMT+0 (Ireland or something) and then set the time to your regular local time. This seems to keep things in sync (even though, yes, OSX will think you live in Ireland).

First off, let me say that I was so happy to find this thread! I really do need a support group for my new X58A-UD3R v2.0 mobo. I've been trying for two weeks to get a stable OSX Snow Leopard system running. It's been fun, but somewhat frustrating. I'd get one thing working, then nothing else. Then try another install, and other things work, but the rest doesn't. So I'll definitely be posting some questions here when I have time to sort out my current issues and what I need to know. Here are my system specs, in case anyone has any questions or comments about my configuration:

GA-X58A-UD3R v2.0 mobo FC bios (of course)

24 GB DDR3 1333 Gskill Ripjaws RAM

Intel Core i7 980-x 3.33 ghz CPU (not overclocked)

Corsair 750w PSU

NVidia Quadro FX 370 PCI Express-x16

Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA HDD

Dual boot OSX Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Retail Snow Leopard install with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], Combo update to 10.6.5

DSDT from the TonyMAC DSDT database

The things I am currently trying to get working smooth are the NTFS-3G read/write support and PS/2 keyboard. The audio, video, and internet seem to be working fine. I need to look through this lengthy thread to find maleorderbride's packaged files, but I just thought I would begin by introducing myself. I'm looking forward to utilizing the knowledge of fellow peer mobo users.

For NTFS support you need to install 3rd party software like Paragon's. OS X does not support r/w by default

PS/2 stuff will not be in this thread (and you really should just get a USB keyboard/mouse. What's $30 considering the 1.5k your build cost?

If you have everything working then you might not even need my driver pack.

I have no problems with NTFS-3g I use it quite often I have NTFS-3g 2010.1.16 build installed and it is working fine with my 10.6.4 (I still have to find the courage and time to go for 10.6.5), as for the PS/2 I don't know I use USB

For NTFS support you need to install 3rd party software like Paragon's. OS X does not support r/w by default

PS/2 stuff will not be in this thread (and you really should just get a USB keyboard/mouse. What's $30 considering the 1.5k your build cost?

If you have everything working then you might not even need my driver pack.

For PS/2 another option is a PS/2 to USB converter. Here's an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812156004 They've worked well for me, and cost even less.

I am glad to report that my problems with X58A-UD3R were caused by a power supply after all. It looks like Zalman 600W is not giving enough juice to this mobo at some - uknown to me or random - situations. I had one spare_never_used one and the issue was the same even with the brand new mobo. Strangely enough USB3 was without issues. So I gave up on utilizing my Zalman HD235 HTPC case (to which the power supply was specific dimension-wise) and got an excuse to get bigger case Corsair 600T and new power supply. And voila - everything works as it should.

So now I need to fix the sleep - computer powers off but after 30min or so wakes itself up and stays there - and then off I'll go to overclocking. Any help with what to set in bios in order to get i7-950 to 3.8gHz is welcomed:-)

Thanks for the tips about Paragon and the USB to PS/2 converter. I wish I had ordered a USB keyboard (or the converter) when I ordered all my other parts. But I will look into one of those solutions at this point. I do have a couple of USB keyboards, but they are all being used on other systems.

As for Paragon, does anyone recommend it over NTFS-3G? I think I had installed iAtkos back when playing with a Snow Leopard first install, and it had NTFS-3G options. I installed it with the system, and I recall read/write support working pretty smooth with it. The icons weren't even orange. So I might look into using NTFS-3G, unless someone has experience with Paragon being more reliable. I really am most concerned about my data not getting corrupt, as I will need to transfer large video files between my OSX and Windows system.

As for using maleorderbride's kext package, I have been installing and uninstalling kexts so much that I'm not sure if what I did is completely stable. It might give me peace of mind to do a fresh install, and only put in the known working kext files, to avoid any problems down the road. I *kinda* know what I'm doing, but this is still a learning process for me.

What programs do you guys use to do benchmark tests? I'd like to post some scores here (if that's acceptable) and get some feedback to see if my system is performing optimally.

Fresh install wouldn't hurt. I did it several times in the past few days due to my mobo issues and it's no big deal anymore, will take you an hour or so - boot from kakewalk, get in SL DVD and partition/format/install, reboot using kakewalk CD and then choose to boot from your new install, copy over mailorderbride's E/E and run install of Chameleon, reboot (without kakewalk CD this time), install combine package 10.6.5, reboot, install Lnx2Mac's network, reboot, install retail nVidia drivers, reboot, install AppleHDA, reboot and enjoy your new hackintosh. In case of network problems don't forget to go to BIOS and run SmartLan to flush the chip, if this wouldn't work unplug cable, reset CMOS, run SmartLan, plug in cable run SmartLan (you might see the cable lentgth fluctuates a bit) and you should be good to go.

Mailorderbride, can I buy you a beer to express my gratitude for your drivers? I know there is a czech restaurant in Davis perhaps with Pilsner on tap? I am getting Geekbench(32) 12165 OC'd to 4.0GHz DDR 1600 QPI 3600 and all voltages on auto. No sweat. Cheers:-)

Ok got my system built today I posted my specs last week but again for those who missed them

i7 950

6GB Corsair XMS3

Corsair VX550

Nvidia 8600GTS 512MB

Seagate Barracuda 500GB

I have been trying the install since 3 oclock and the install screen comes up no problem using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. The installation fails half way through seems like same point every time (round about the time it is unpacking BaseSystem.pkg). I know sometimes this is normal but when inserting [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] again it doesn't show me the successful install. :o

The disk I am using is a file I downloaded it is 10.6.3 from hotISO user. I made the disk using an imac and disk utility. Is there anyway I can get the dmg onto a flash drive without using a mac? He doesn't like like me using his mac.. Typical eh. Really could do with a bit of a help.

Thanks

Ok got my system built today I posted my specs last week but again for those who missed them

i7 950

6GB Corsair XMS3

Corsair VX550

Nvidia 8600GTS 512MB

Seagate Barracuda 500GB

I have been trying the install since 3 oclock and the install screen comes up no problem using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. The installation fails half way through seems like same point every time (round about the time it is unpacking BaseSystem.pkg). I know sometimes this is normal but when inserting [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] again it doesn't show me the successful install. :)

The disk I am using is a file I downloaded it is 10.6.3 from hotISO user. I made the disk using an imac and disk utility. Is there anyway I can get the dmg onto a flash drive without using a mac? He doesn't like like me using his mac.. Typical eh. Really could do with a bit of a help.

Thanks

Hi. I would suggest making a bootable USB drive using maleorderbride's files and the 10.6.3 Snow Leopard DVD. There are many tutorials for doing that kind of thing. You use the USB drive to install Snow Leopard, and also to partition and setup your hard drive with Chameleon.

Hi. I would suggest making a bootable USB drive using maleorderbride's files and the 10.6.3 Snow Leopard DVD. There are many tutorials for doing that kind of thing. You use the USB drive to install Snow Leopard, and also to partition and setup your hard drive with Chameleon.

Can it be done on a windows pc though?

Can it be done on a windows pc though?

You do need to use OS X to set up the USB stick. If you have a machine where you can get a Snow Leopard install DVD to boot, that would be sufficient. It wouldn't matter if sound or networking or full graphics card support didn't work, as long as you could run Disk Utility and run commands in Terminal. Questions about this kind of installation not specific to the GA-X58A-UD3R should probably be in another thread, such as one of the tutorial threads.