Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

Hi guys, been reading up on this and am still quite new, however I seem to keep running into the same problem when trying to install.

Let me start with the specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev. 2.0 updated to BIOS version FB)

i7-950

6gb of RAM running at 1600Mhz

Nvidia GTX 460

I've tried the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] methods with both the supported iso as well as the nvidia iso. I've also attempted to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the kakewalk legacy boot disks from the hackfinal.rar file somewhere in this forum topic. Trying to use the -x loader for safe mode also fails. Here is the error I keep getting: "kernel panic: Unable to find driver for ]"ACPI\".\m

Attached are some pics.

I don't have access to a Mac so if I need to use a different loader, I'd appreciate it if someone could send me or link me to a file I could burn from a windows machine. Also, is there a method to use a bootloader to install from a USB stick?

Thanks in advance.

Is your optical drive IDE or SATA? I have quite a bit of experience with OSx86, and I got help from more experienced people, but I never could get a Snow Leopard retail install to work using an IDE drive (this was for another motherboard), and I'm pretty sure it was the same error you're getting. If you're using an IDE optical drive, try an SATA one instead. It might even be worth buying an inexpensive one if you have to.

Also, check the previous posts by maleorderbride. He posted his Extra folder to use with Chameleon, and he did an excellent job of customizing for the GA-X58A-UD3R. You may not be able to use his files initially, but I highly recommend using them for your final installation.

Is your optical drive IDE or SATA? I have quite a bit of experience with OSx86, and I got help from more experienced people, but I never could get a Snow Leopard retail install to work using an IDE drive (this was for another motherboard), and I'm pretty sure it was the same error you're getting. If you're using an IDE optical drive, try an SATA one instead. It might even be worth buying an inexpensive one if you have to.

Also, check the previous posts by maleorderbride. He posted his Extra folder to use with Chameleon, and he did an excellent job of customizing for the GA-X58A-UD3R. You may not be able to use his files initially, but I highly recommend using them for your final installation.

Thanks for the info. I saw all the additional information by maleorderbride, but that's after I finally get it installed, right? As for the drive, it's a SATA drive so that might not be the issue.

MOBO UDR 2.0??

If I understood your question properly, it's a GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2, and I was able to make the audio work (no idea if 5.1 or normal line out).

Unfortunately, the system is not stable. I get KP every now and then. Very oddly, the KP happened a few times on NTPD, which is the time daemon. Does anyone know how to shut it down? I tried using launchctl stop com.apple.ntp (or similar, see below), but launchd launched a new instance immediately. The other suspect is the network driver from Realtek (v 2.0.5).

Oddly enough, the mac I'm using at the moment is not running ntp at all (that's why I don't know the service name), so I'm sure it can be disabled, but I haven't been able to find how :thumbsup_anim: .

Any suggestions?

I'm also using nullspot DSDT, and I had the same problem with a DSDT for this MOBO that I got from tonymac.

-EDIT

It looks like I didn't search properly enough. If anyone is curious: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/disabling-unn...c-osx-services/

tgsa <---- have you tried to install the os to a flash drive? I was able to get a system to work once like that when no other option worked. I basically just installed 10.6 to the flash drive it booted just fine then I made a dmg of the flash drive then back that up to the HD i wanted snow leopard installed to. this worked great. I might be trying this method again for this MB too as I can't seem to load the os after it is installed the computer just shuts off 3/4 way through the boot up

Hi guys, been reading up on this and am still quite new, however I seem to keep running into the same problem when trying to install.

Let me start with the specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev. 2.0 updated to BIOS version FB)

i7-950

6gb of RAM running at 1600Mhz

Nvidia GTX 460

I've tried the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] methods with both the supported iso as well as the nvidia iso. I've also attempted to use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and the kakewalk legacy boot disks from the hackfinal.rar file somewhere in this forum topic. Trying to use the -x loader for safe mode also fails. Here is the error I keep getting: "kernel panic: Unable to find driver for ]"ACPI\".\m

Attached are some pics.

I don't have access to a Mac so if I need to use a different loader, I'd appreciate it if someone could send me or link me to a file I could burn from a windows machine. Also, is there a method to use a bootloader to install from a USB stick?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have another video card you can use to install, then follow whatever guide (if any) for the GTX 460? Any Nvidia 7xxx, 8xxx, 9xxx, 249, 250, 26x, 27x, 28x, as well as quite a few ATI cards would be fine.

You can not use my files with a CD install. You would need to use them with a USB, which requires a working Mac/Hackintosh.

However, I have installed using kakewalk+retail 10.6.3 DVD before with similar hardware, other than the video card. So, make sure you have 10.6.3 retail, not 10.6, and try it with a different video card.

Also, have you installed windows and done any stability tests? I have't seen that many errors on a boot screen since I tried to use 10.6 only kexts for a 10.5 install.

edit:

looking closer it does appear that you are using a 10.6.0 DVD. Definitely get a newer one--I can't even remember what it was like using 10.6.0 for an install.

Also, are you using an old kakewalk boot disc?

edit2:

The GTX 460 is perhaps not the reason why your install is failing, but it is also not a supported card. Lifted from another thread on the GTX460:

As I said that post is misleading, what the guy is really saying is that the device ID for the GTX 460 was added to the modified Chameleon bootloader that he posted, so that the bootloader recognizes it and you get to see "GTX 460" under graphics in System Profiler if you set GraphicsEnabler=y in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. That doesn't do anything for functionality though, it's purely cosmetic. If you use any other version of Chameleon you'll just see 'unknown Nvidia' or something, and the card will still 'not work' in the same way.

There is still no support for the GTX 460 (or the new GTX450 and whatever else is coming) - not in the upcoming 10.6.5 update, and not in the September 2010 graphics drivers from nvidia.

Also you cannot flash the GTX460 with a BIOS from another Fermi card - the Fermis that work all use a different graphics chip, the GF100. It will not work so don't try it. And you/someone cannot write a driver from scratch (there's no public nvidia source code) or modify existing drivers to make it work. We have to wait for a move from Apple and Nvidia.

Do you have another video card you can use to install, then follow whatever guide (if any) for the GTX 460? Any Nvidia 7xxx, 8xxx, 9xxx, 249, 250, 26x, 27x, 28x, as well as quite a few ATI cards would be fine.

You can not use my files with a CD install. You would need to use them with a USB, which requires a working Mac/Hackintosh.

However, I have installed using kakewalk+retail 10.6.3 DVD before with similar hardware, other than the video card. So, make sure you have 10.6.3 retail, not 10.6, and try it with a different video card.

Also, have you installed windows and done any stability tests? I have't seen that many errors on a boot screen since I tried to use 10.6 only kexts for a 10.5 install.

edit:

looking closer it does appear that you are using a 10.6.0 DVD. Definitely get a newer one--I can't even remember what it was like using 10.6.0 for an install.

Also, are you using an old kakewalk boot disc?

edit2:

The GTX 460 is perhaps not the reason why your install is failing, but it is also not a supported card. Lifted from another thread on the GTX460:

Thanks for all the info. The system is stable and is up and running in Windows 7 with no issues. As for the graphics card, I don't have another option at this moment, so kind've bummed out since I'm assuming I'll have to wait until there's another update before I can get it installed. I'll get a newer disc as well when I give it a retry. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for all the info. The system is stable and is up and running in Windows 7 with no issues. As for the graphics card, I don't have another option at this moment, so kind've bummed out since I'm assuming I'll have to wait until there's another update before I can get it installed. I'll get a newer disc as well when I give it a retry. Thanks for all the help.

It seems unlikely that your GTX 460 will ever be supported. You can wait, but don't expect much.

Hi, I am stuck right now. I have the GA-X58a_UD3R rev 2.0 board 6GB OCZ ram i7 930 and the gtx460 :( . I am using a retail dvd of 10.6.3 and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I get it installed with no problems. I can even boot using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] after install with no problems. how ever when I try to use myhack then after reboot I get the please hold down power button to reboot. i have tried using -x and -f separate and together with no luck. I don't know if I am not using the correct options in myhack or if it is something different. Originally I thought it had something to do with installing 10.6.4 update. how ever it still does it if I don't do that. Should I run myhack and then [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] before reboot? the guide I was following said to reboot between using the 2...

I read somewhere that maybe it is the sleep enabler kext causing this issue? anythoughts?

Hi, I am stuck right now. I have the GA-X58a_UD3R rev 2.0 board 6GB OCZ ram i7 930 and the gtx460 :D . I am using a retail dvd of 10.6.3 and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I get it installed with no problems. I can even boot using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] after install with no problems. how ever when I try to use myhack then after reboot I get the please hold down power button to reboot. i have tried using -x and -f separate and together with no luck. I don't know if I am not using the correct options in myhack or if it is something different. Originally I thought it had something to do with installing 10.6.4 update. how ever it still does it if I don't do that. Should I run myhack and then [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] before reboot? the guide I was following said to reboot between using the 2...

I read somewhere that maybe it is the sleep enabler kext causing this issue? anythoughts?

Hi thrawn,

I don't have an nvidia card, so I won't be able to help you a lot, but try to boot using (or adding) -v to the bootloader flags. After this, when you get the message saying "press the button to...", you should also see a message on the screen, describing the error.

With some luck, that will tell you which kext caused the error.

Cheers,

a.

Thanks for this guide. I followed your directions and everything is working. I had to switch my GTX465 for an Nvidia 8500 to get it to install. Everything updates perfectly. Now I am going to put win 7 on another disk for a dual boot. OSX and Windows are going to share a 1T drive storage, etc.

hi guys,

I want to express my thanks for this very helpfull thread to Nullspot, mailorderbride, and many others for their good work.

Becours of this thread i decided to buy the UD3R Mobo for my latest Hack (look at my signature).

I Finally i´ve got a very fast and stabel Hack. It took me only a fraction of the time i spend with building my first Hack, based on Asus PQ5.

Everything is working properly, except sleep: sometimes it does´nt resume. I decided to disable sleep, so I can sleep much better...

thank you guys

There is another 'dirty little secret' about the graphics. 19.5.8f03 nVidia drivers did work but the display was a bit choppy a Cinebench was @6fps. Some post in some other thread suggested changing mac ID from 4.1 to 3.1 in smbios.plist - I did that and VOILA !!!! everything is smooth and Cinebench did 21fps.

my card is MSI GTS 250 dual DVI

There is another 'dirty little secret' about the graphics. 19.5.8f03 nVidia drivers did work but the display was a bit choppy a Cinebench was @6fps. Some post in some other thread suggested changing mac ID from 4.1 to 3.1 in smbios.plist - I did that and VOILA !!!! everything is smooth and Cinebench did 21fps.

my card is MSI GTS 250 dual DVI

10.6.5 beta gives me 33fps in Cinebench with my EVGA GTS 250 512MB DDR3.

You can also just remove or modify AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext rather than change your model version, or if you know how (I don't) you can change the settings within AGPM.kext so that your video card will no longer be stuck in low-power mode.

Download and install this driver to get your USB 3 ports on this board working.

http://www.lacie.com/download/drivers/LaCi....0%20Driver.dmg

USB 3 bus recognised in profiler as USB Super-Speed Bus.

Tested at USB 2 speeds cos i don't have any USB3 stuff, but at the very worst, gives you more USB ports.

You beat me to it! Glad this finally arrived.

Hi Everyone,

After some fighting I found out that my KP were caused by the DSDT I was using (the one provided by nullspot). I strongly suggest to use that DSDT as it has all the patches by d00d, but patch the CPU segment if you do not have a core i7 920 as nullspot has. I have a 950 and patched the CPU segment from the one in d00d's thread. I also started using the drivers suggested here (Realtec_8111D_3264.zip) and now the build is rock solid. It's been running for a few days and I haven't got a KP since I changed these settings.

I still have a question, has anyone been able to sort out the problem with the front audio panel? I've read a few threads about GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2 and ALC889a, but I haven't been able to find a solution for this.

This is my main problem , as I usually use it to avoid annoying my wife with my music or movies :P.

Thanks a lot to everyone!

Augusto

Hi Everyone,

After some fighting I found out that my KP were caused by the DSDT I was using (the one provided by nullspot). I strongly suggest to use that DSDT as it has all the patches by d00d, but patch the CPU segment if you do not have a core i7 920 as nullspot has. I have a 950 and patched the CPU segment from the one in d00d's thread. I also started using the drivers suggested here (Realtec_8111D_3264.zip) and now the build is rock solid. It's been running for a few days and I haven't got a KP since I changed these settings.

I still have a question, has anyone been able to sort out the problem with the front audio panel? I've read a few threads about GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2 and ALC889a, but I haven't been able to find a solution for this.

This is my main problem , as I usually use it to avoid annoying my wife with my music or movies :thumbsup_anim:.

Thanks a lot to everyone!

Augusto

I suggest you use my files as they include all DSDT edits that d00d suggests as well as not being CPU-specific. My files also fix front panel audio. They were posted a few pages back. Post #273.

I suggest you use my files as they include all DSDT edits that d00d suggests as well as not being CPU-specific. My files also fix front panel audio. They were posted a few pages back. Post #273.

in your post

Files support i7 930??

in your post

Files support i7 930??

Yes, the DSDT edits are non-CPU specific and provide sleep, P-states, and C-states when used with my com.Apple.Boot.plist and the linked version of Chameleon RC5. You need to use all 3 of those things, not just the DSDT for full support.

You can use it with: 920,930,940,950,960, 970, 980X.

Yes, the DSDT edits are non-CPU specific and provide sleep, P-states, and C-states when used with my com.Apple.Boot.plist and the linked version of Chameleon RC5. You need to use all 3 of those things, not just the DSDT for full support.

Thanks a lot maleorderbride!! I'll give that a try

thanks

Hi Maleorderbride (and everyone else that's contributed to this very helpfull thread)

I'd like to find out a few things that have been troubling me with my install. Here we go.

My Specs:

CPU: i7 950

RAM: 6 gigs in triple channel mode

GPU: Nvidia GTX 250 1gb

Motherboard: EX58-UD3R REV 2.0 with FB Firmware

My system is rock solid and I get a Geekbench score of 10318 running your (Maleorderbride's) DSDT and com.Apple.Boot.plist. I also have the exact same E/E folder structure. However, not wanting to be too greedy, I've noticed that if I tinker in my BIOS, my Geekbench scores drop dramatically. If I overclock my CPU to 4.01 GHZ, my geekbench actualy drops! To 7338. In fact, if I turn off some of the CPU specific power saving features in the BIOS such as EIST etc, it also dramatically drops geekbench results.

The question is, how does the DSDT effect the CPU power saving modes encoded in the BIOS? Do we need to change the DSDT so that modified BIOS settings don't effect CPU performance? I'm lost here.

Second question has to do with Temperature readouts using iStatMonitor. Using your packaged FakeSMC.kext, I get no joy with CPU temps displaying in iStat. I've tried using the latest FakeSMC builds by Netkas - but they give me kernel panics at boot. I think I've tried about 5 different FakeSMC's with no luck. Has anyone here managed to get iStat working properly, showing GPU and CPU temps? I find it really useful having a temp monitor in OSX especially since I'm experimenting with overclocks all the time. If anyone has, please could they point me to the correct FakeSMC.kext.

Thanks

Hi Maleorderbride (and everyone else that's contributed to this very helpfull thread)

I'd like to find out a few things that have been troubling me with my install. Here we go.

My Specs:

CPU: i7 950

RAM: 6 gigs in triple channel mode

GPU: Nvidia GTX 250 1gb

Motherboard: EX58-UD3R REV 2.0 with FB Firmware

My system is rock solid and I get a Geekbench score of 10318 running your (Maleorderbride's) DSDT and com.Apple.Boot.plist. I also have the exact same E/E folder structure. However, not wanting to be too greedy, I've noticed that if I tinker in my BIOS, my Geekbench scores drop dramatically. If I overclock my CPU to 4.01 GHZ, my geekbench actualy drops! To 7338. In fact, if I turn off some of the CPU specific power saving features in the BIOS such as EIST etc, it also dramatically drops geekbench results.

The question is, how does the DSDT effect the CPU power saving modes encoded in the BIOS? Do we need to change the DSDT so that modified BIOS settings don't effect CPU performance? I'm lost here.

Second question has to do with Temperature readouts using iStatMonitor. Using your packaged FakeSMC.kext, I get no joy with CPU temps displaying in iStat. I've tried using the latest FakeSMC builds by Netkas - but they give me kernel panics at boot. I think I've tried about 5 different FakeSMC's with no luck. Has anyone here managed to get iStat working properly, showing GPU and CPU temps? I find it really useful having a temp monitor in OSX especially since I'm experimenting with overclocks all the time. If anyone has, please could they point me to the correct FakeSMC.kext.

Thanks

I would imagine your overclock settings are not quite right. Performance increases proportionately, for me, with overclocking. I keep all energy saving settings on.

What Vcore are you running at 4.0GHz? What about Load-line calibration?

I attached some kexts that need to go in /E/E that should allow iStat monitoring for you. Make sure to drag the entire Extensions folder on top of kext utility.

Thermal_Monitoring.zip