Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

Ok, you have sleep enabler installed. No idea why, since this motherboard sleeps without it. You need to boot with the flag pmversion=20 (reference: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466).

After you get in delete that kext.

AppleHDA.kext needs to be re-installed after each major update. That is just the way it is, either that, or use VoodooHDA and have slightly inferior sound.

For some reason several people are having problems with audio, despite the solutions already being posted. So, here it is again:

1. Install Chameleon RC5

2. AppleHDA.kext needs to be dragged on top of Kext Utility, let it finish.

3. Copy and paste my Extra folder, replacing your current Extra folder.

4. Reboot and you are done.

Audio 5.1, digital audio, headphones with auto-detection, etc will all work.

All of d00d's edits, up to September 28th are done. Sleep will work, and all CPUs are supported with speedstep and correct P/C states.

All normal video cards are supported OOB other than the GTX 470, 480, HD58xx series, and non-reference designs.

Oh, and the realtek driver is ethernet support for 32/64-bit that does not break sleep. Install with kext utility if you need it.

thanks, try ready now! comments in a mins

Ok, you have sleep enabler installed. No idea why, since this motherboard sleeps without it. You need to boot with the flag pmversion=20 (reference: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466).

AppleHDA.kext needs to be re-installed after each major update. That is just the way it is, either that, or use VoodooHDA and have slightly inferior sound.

For some reason several people are having problems with audio, despite the solutions already being posted. So, here it is again:

1. Install Chameleon RC5

All of d00d's edits, up to September 28th are done. Sleep will work, and all CPUs are supported with speedstep and correct P/C states.

All normal video cards are supported OOB other than the GTX 470, 480, HD58xx series, and non-reference designs.

Oh, and the realtek driver is ethernet support for 32/64-bit that does not break sleep. Install with kext utility if you need it.

Thanks for this. I gave it a try and everything seems to boot up and work ok. Two issues that I'm unsure about..

1/ Sleep doesn't work, everything is set ok in bios. What can I check to see whats preventing this?

2/ In activity monitor, the kernel_task is using about 54% of the CPU (i7-950). Is that normal?

Thanks.

1. Install Chameleon RC5

ok, I booted with the pmVersion=20 flag and it still gave me the black screen of death. However, when I booted using the pmVersion=0 flag, it booted up and loaded os x. (yay!)

I used your kext utility to install the ethernet driver and the AppleHDA.kext. The internet now works, but for some reason the sound still doesn't work. I tried installing it again and then repairing the disk permissions but I still haven't had any luck with the sound. any suggestions?

In order for sleep to work properly you need to have "Start up automatically after a power failure" checked in System Preferences->Energy Saver.

If that does not fix it, then what video card do you have? Also, how does sleep not work? Does it not go to sleep, resume, etc. What are the exact symptoms?

In order for the audio to work you need to do several things:

1. My DSDT in /Extra

2. The blue Legacy889HDA.kext in E/E

3. The AppleHDA.kext (blue one) in S/L/E using kext utility

4. No other audio methods

5. Go to System Preferences->Sound and make sure that you are outputting to the proper output device.

If your audio does not work, make sure you do not have VoodooHDA.kext somewhere, or any other legacyHDA.kexts installed. Maybe you put one in S/L/E and forgot about it.

The audio 100% works for rev 2.0 boards, so if you use my Extra folder and the AppleHDA.kext and it does not work, then somewhere along the way you fouled up your S/L/E folder or something similar. I suggest a re-install.

My 4.0GHz i7-920 is at .04% load when idling in 10.6.4 with no apps running. No idea why you are at 54%. You are using my extra folder+Cham RC5, right?

In order for sleep to work properly you need to have "Start up automatically after a power failure" checked in System Preferences->Energy Saver.

If that does not fix it, then what video card do you have? Also, how does sleep not work? Does it not go to sleep, resume, etc. What are the exact symptoms?

In order for the audio to work you need to do several things:

1. My DSDT in /Extra

2. The blue Legacy889HDA.kext in E/E

3. The AppleHDA.kext (blue one) in S/L/E using kext utility

4. No other audio methods

5. Go to System Preferences->Sound and make sure that you are outputting to the proper output device.

If your audio does not work, make sure you do not have VoodooHDA.kext somewhere, or any other legacyHDA.kexts installed. Maybe you put one in S/L/E and forgot about it.

The audio 100% works for rev 2.0 boards, so if you use my Extra folder and the AppleHDA.kext and it does not work, then somewhere along the way you fouled up your S/L/E folder or something similar. I suggest a re-install.

My 4.0GHz i7-920 is at .04% load when idling in 10.6.4 with no apps running. No idea why you are at 54%. You are using my extra folder+Cham RC5, right?

Ticking that box in energy saver made sleep work (before that it was literally not doing anything when I selected sleep in the apple menu). As for the cpu load, it now seems to be back to under 1% (even now as I type this in safari), so all good on that front (I suspect it had something to do with spotlight as I've since stopped spotlight scanning a few of my other drives).

Anyway, thanks for your help :(

I want to use all 10 sata ports on the mobo - can anyone confirm that they ALL work? As in, they have connected something to each of the different sata mobo ports (there are three different kinds, I believe?) and actually verified that they work?

I want to use all 10 sata ports on the mobo - can anyone confirm that they ALL work? As in, they have connected something to each of the different sata mobo ports (there are three different kinds, I believe?) and actually verified that they work?

I think so have 9 HD connected ;)

I use: 6 internal sata to HD, the 2 Giga Sata to HD, 2 remaining ones, one to DVD one to case e-sata (nothing is connected there); then I have a back e-sata connected to an external e-sata. Now my case has all hot swapping HD but I have not hot swapping in the current configuration. If you read back there is a post of Professor saying he managed hot swapping but I could not verify since the link in broken. Hope it helps.

Yep, they all work, except 3Gb/s only not 6 (some of the ports are Sata3). Hopefully one day the fast speed will work :)

Anyone care to comment or point me to a post that shows the optimized settings for the BIOS for this board? I just followed the guide and used the "optimized settings" default in the BIOS settings, and I also made the sugested changes (AHCI, energy savings, etc), but that's it.

Anything else I should be doing?

Hi All

Does anyone have an alternative DSDT for an FB Bios than the one found on TonyMac? I tried his DSDT but my geekbench scores halved. Very strange. Anyone else had the same issues?

Everything works perfectly, but I want to see if I can get a near prefect DSDT and have no idea where to begin.

My set up:

GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0** with FB Bios

6 gigs Ram

i7 950 CPU

NVIDIA BFG GTX280 GPU

Hi All

Does anyone have an alternative DSDT for an FB Bios than the one found on TonyMac? I tried his DSDT but my geekbench scores halved. Very strange. Anyone else had the same issues?

Everything works perfectly, but I want to see if I can get a near prefect DSDT and have no idea where to begin.

My set up:

GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0** with FB Bios

6 gigs Ram

i7 950 CPU

NVIDIA BFG GTX280 GPU

Check out post #273 in this forum from maleorderbride. I followed those instructions to the letter and get about 10,500 in geekbench. I have same specs as you except for vid card which is a GTS250 and 12gb RAM.

Has anyone tried to setup a RAID drive with the BIOS? When I use the raid setup utility in the BIOS OSX does not recognize the two drives as one. I can setup a software raid in OSX but then the drive is not visible in Win7 (I have mac drive installed, I can see other mac partitions). I'd like to have RAID controlled by the BIOS so I can get a true RAID 5 setup, instead of just 0 or 1 (that is all osx software raid will allow).

Thanks in advance.

Check out post #273 in this forum from maleorderbride. I followed those instructions to the letter and get about 10,500 in geekbench. I have same specs as you except for vid card which is a GTS250 and 12gb RAM.

I agree, I did the same thing and everything worked. My setup is:

x58a-ud3r bios: FB

8GB ram

GTX260 video card

After I did it I wrote myself an email to store in Gmail with the directions so that if I need to re-do the installation I'll remember what I did :D. Here it is, perhaps it may help someone:

I created a Kakewalk Boot Cd especially for this mobo, be sure to chose the EX58-UD5 option as it works better

Boot with Kakewalk CD, cwap CD for Snow Leopard retail CD, hit F5, choose to boot Snow Leopard install

Once install boots up, format drive if necessary and then install Snow Leopard

Restart machine with Kakewalk boot CD in and choose the new Snow Leopard install

Install Chameleon Boot Loader RC5. I choose to add the "SSDT option" under options.

Reboot (might need to use Kakewalk bootloader)

You will need all of the files in the MOB_files_X58A_UD3R_rev._2.0_2.zip file for the next few steps (from post 273)

Install KEXT Utility

Copy over the hacked ApleHDA.kext by dragging it onto the KEXT Utility.

Copy over the Extras directory onto the Extras folder of your main drive, overwriting the files on your main drive.

Also copy over the realtek ethernet driver (IONetworking.kext) by drag and dropping onto KEXT Utility

Reboot - should now have fully functional 10.6.3 Snow Leopard

Install 10.6.4 update. Before rebooting, drag and drop AppleHDA.kext onto KEXT Utility

Reboot, should have fully functional SL 10.6.4

Everything works like a charm, listening to iTunes through optical out audio on the mobo as I type this.

Has anyone tried to setup a RAID drive with the BIOS? When I use the raid setup utility in the BIOS OSX does not recognize the two drives as one. I can setup a software raid in OSX but then the drive is not visible in Win7 (I have mac drive installed, I can see other mac partitions). I'd like to have RAID controlled by the BIOS so I can get a true RAID 5 setup, instead of just 0 or 1 (that is all osx software raid will allow).

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately you need to have hardware RAID for cross-OS usage of RAID arrays. =/

There is a way to modify it so that you can boot into OS X software RAID while motherboard RAID mode is enabled, but the short of it is that ICH 10R is not real hardware RAID. It is software RAID, so that is why you are OS-dependent even if you managed to boot into OS X with the RAID controller enabled.

Unfortunately you need to have hardware RAID for cross-OS usage of RAID arrays. =/

There is a way to modify it so that you can boot into OS X software RAID while motherboard RAID mode is enabled, but the short of it is that ICH 10R is not real hardware RAID. It is software RAID, so that is why you are OS-dependent even if you managed to boot into OS X with the RAID controller enabled.

Thanks Maleorderbride for the info. Bummer about ICH 10R not being real hardware. I figured I might need a hardware raid controller for cross platform.

However, how is it that OSX can boot with the motherboard RAID?

Is it possible to use the Mobo software raid instead of OSX software RAID? The reason I ask is because the MOBO offers RAID 5 and OSX can only achive RAID 0 or 1. Even if its not Cross OS compatible, MOBO raid would serve me better then OSX RAID.

Just to be clear, I'm not interested in installing OSX on the raid, just using it withing OSX. I can live without win 7

hi,

video which is better??

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VX-2L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-898-_-Product

or

EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-433-_-Product

thanks

my board GA-X58A-UD3R v2

1. Install Chameleon RC5

WOW - thank you SO MUCH for posting this summary!

Geekbench(32) 9856 OOB:

X-58A-UD3R rev.2

i7-950 @ 3.07GHz

12.0 GB 1333 MHz RAM

PNY 9800GT 1GB DDR3 /edit now MSI n250GTS

SL 10.6.4

Works like a charm and sys identifier is correct. Before then I had score of 9300 and identified as MP 3.1. Kakewalk 2.2 install with SL 10.6.3 and realtek driver install.

For audio there is additional info which I can't analyze but: Before this I did AppleHDA.kext copy only (post #1) and repair permission and audio still didn't work after reboots. Then I installed Logitech drivers for their Y-BF37 keyboard I am using now and - guess what - after reboot audio worked like a charm including adjusting levels directly from keyboard.

Hello fellow Gigabyte owners.

My name is Art, I'm a noob attempting his first Hackintosh build. I've been lurking, reading and learning for the last 45 days. I recently ordered a Gigabyte GA-x58a-ud3r rev 2.0 and a I7 930 cpu. I've done a ton of Hardware builds so no problem there. I even updated my bios to the FB version because i read that Board with the FB bios didn't have as much problem with the audio. I did some more research on the process of installing OSX. Yesterday, I attempted my first install and it didn't go so well. So now I'm looking for help.

I set up some bios features. Sata controllers set to ACHI mode, HPET to 64-bit mode, cdrom in first boot priority, next Hard drive, turned off the intel boost function but left Hypertheading on.

I'm using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] supported and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and I started out fine. Boot loader worked, inserted Retail OSX dvd and on the first time I was able to use the disk utility and set up a partion (the whole 500 GB HD and I didn't see GUID Partition Table Just numbers of partition 1,2,3 etc ) and named it snow leopard and formated with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and it worked. So I moved onto the install. It told me that the install would take 30 minutes. 1h 15 minutes later it still said 30 mins and the system seemed to be frozen. I rebooted and from that point on The usb KB and mouse frozen and the install would stick at the select language page. The DVD would also be stuck ( won't eject dvd ) until I rebooted system.

A little more research and an semi educated guess would seem to indicate that something is not right in the bios settings. It all works fine until the OSX gui takes over then lock. To make matters worse a friend sent me a Maximum pc article that says you should SATA Ide for the install then change to ACHI if you want to.

So can some one tell me what bios settings need to be set. Can I overclock the system ( 3.2ghz would be fine) ? and still install OSX. I know how to OC the board but does this effect the install. The other question would be am I missing something ? I read something that said that you need to use the first sata port for the HD and the second port for the DVD drive. Does the sata controller you use effect the install ? I'm using the blue gigabyte SATA ports 0 and 1.

Thanks for the help

Thanks Maleorderbride for the info. Bummer about ICH 10R not being real hardware. I figured I might need a hardware raid controller for cross platform.

However, how is it that OSX can boot with the motherboard RAID?

Is it possible to use the Mobo software raid instead of OSX software RAID? The reason I ask is because the MOBO offers RAID 5 and OSX can only achive RAID 0 or 1. Even if its not Cross OS compatible, MOBO raid would serve me better then OSX RAID.

Just to be clear, I'm not interested in installing OSX on the raid, just using it withing OSX. I can live without win 7

Nope, the motherboard software RAID is AKA Windows RAID. So, you could make a RAID5 array for Windows, but OS X would never see it.

Hello fellow Gigabyte owners.

My name is Art, I'm a noob attempting his first Hackintosh build. I've been lurking, reading and learning for the last 45 days. I recently ordered a Gigabyte GA-x58a-ud3r rev 2.0 and a I7 930 cpu. I've done a ton of Hardware builds so no problem there. I even updated my bios to the FB version because i read that Board with the FB bios didn't have as much problem with the audio. I did some more research on the process of installing OSX. Yesterday, I attempted my first install and it didn't go so well. So now I'm looking for help.

I set up some bios features. Sata controllers set to ACHI mode, HPET to 64-bit mode, cdrom in first boot priority, next Hard drive, turned off the intel boost function but left Hypertheading on.

I'm using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] supported and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and I started out fine. Boot loader worked, inserted Retail OSX dvd and on the first time I was able to use the disk utility and set up a partion (the whole 500 GB HD and I didn't see GUID Partition Table Just numbers of partition 1,2,3 etc ) and named it snow leopard and formated with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and it worked. So I moved onto the install. It told me that the install would take 30 minutes. 1h 15 minutes later it still said 30 mins and the system seemed to be frozen. I rebooted and from that point on The usb KB and mouse frozen and the install would stick at the select language page. The DVD would also be stuck ( won't eject dvd ) until I rebooted system.

A little more research and an semi educated guess would seem to indicate that something is not right in the bios settings. It all works fine until the OSX gui takes over then lock. To make matters worse a friend sent me a Maximum pc article that says you should SATA Ide for the install then change to ACHI if you want to.

So can some one tell me what bios settings need to be set. Can I overclock the system ( 3.2ghz would be fine) ? and still install OSX. I know how to OC the board but does this effect the install. The other question would be am I missing something ? I read something that said that you need to use the first sata port for the HD and the second port for the DVD drive. Does the sata controller you use effect the install ? I'm using the blue gigabyte SATA ports 0 and 1.

Thanks for the help

Just use Kakewalk as the guy a few posts up instructed. I am not familiar with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but since that guy used Kakewalk we know that worked.

Also, plug your HDDs into the white ICH10R ports, not the Gigabyte ports. That is probably your main problem.

Then, re-partition using GUID. Open Disk Utility, and go to Partition tab. Then click "Options" at the bottom of the graphic representing your HDD. Select GUID (if it was a brand new drive it might have automatically been GUID, but make sure).

Then use my files (post #273) and the instructions from this thread to get the rest done. Don't bother installing AppleHDA.kext until after you update to 10.6.4.

Good luck. My first Hackintosh was a Q6600+EP45-DS3L. It took me about 3 weeks of fiddling to get it to work.

@Art7

customize.jpg

Retail Disc SL 10.6.x choose "Customize" install!

Try only choosing whats checked, it sometimes helps...

Goodluck

I'll try that, thanks

UPDATE: I have manage to get my USB KB and Mouse back. If you're having problems like me. The 2 usb ports next to the network jack on the UDR-3 rev 2 is the USB3 ports. The manual says they are USB 3 & USB 2 but the MAC os doesn't see it that way. I moved the KB & mouse now they work.

After turning off most of the power management features. I was able to make it though the install and I got the install failed message but I thought If I used the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported iso I wouldn't get that message? Anyway I rebooted two things happened, one was my dvd burner was shut down. It didn't eject the disc or even try to read the disc, then was no activity. So i couldn't get the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] disc back in there. A second reboot didn't help. I turned the system off wait a 30 secs and then turned it on and it worked fine. So that's strange.

The next problem is that when I did get the Boot loader to start. I had no HD icon, just the dvd icon and it worked fine but there was no way to start the MAC OS because there was no drive icon. I loaded up the install disc and the disk installer said that there was a volume with the right partion and format and it verified it and the system profiler ( name might be wrong but it was in the same menu) and it says there is a sata hard drive but the drive is listed as an external? Not a big deal, windows does something similar.

So I'm back, Help help. I'm going to go try to install again but what's up with this ?

One last thing, During all except the last install where I sat and watched it, I start the install and get the it will take 30 mins message then I walk away and when I come back the screen is off like it went to sleep. A mouse move or tap on the keyboard turns it on. This seems strange for the install process. Is it?

Yours in WTF

Art

The "Shared" section of my Finder keeps disappearing on me - sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. I can't easily get to network Bonjour computers without it. My network connection is fine, I'm just not seeing Bonjour-connected machines.

Anyone else have this problem? Am I missing a KEXT or something? I'm using Maleorderbride's IONetworking KEXT.

EDIT - that fix was only temporary. My other Bonjour computers can't see the Hackintosh and vice versa. It can occasionally see them, but then can't connect to them nor Share Screens with them.

Thoughts?