Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

Thanks to everyone in the thread who posted helpful information!

My machine seems to be working really well (sleep, shutdown, etc).

I've noticed that for mic input, the mic volume is incredibly low unless the microphone is about half an inch away from your mouth. I've turned up the mic volume settings, and tried it with background noise filter both on or off.

I'm using the i7-920 DSDT that was posted, and the LegacyHDA, and modded AppleHDA kext for audio that was posted earlier in the thread.

Code:

FAS0, 2,

FAS1, 2

}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x02)

{

"device-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

Device (PRIM)

{

Name (_ADR, Zero)

Method (_GTM, 0, NotSerialized)[/b]

I then referred to MacManx86 blog "New Minimal DSDT Edits for Gigabyte Motherboards"

http://macmanx86.blogspot.com/

and carried out all the edits in respect of USB naming, HDEF audio etc and it is all now working very well sound/Sleep and all only issue is I need to use 64bit mode and neither the internal lan port plus a PCI card refuse to connect, fortunately I have an AP Extreme card connected to an adapter and that works fine.

The only issue I have is the ethernet connection(s), otherwise it is very stable and I get a geekbench 64bit reading of 10,790, so I am more or less happy but would be pleased to hear of a 64bit fix for the lan issue.

Zipped DSDT is attached and I am using in E/E Jmicron36xSATA.kext and Legacy889HDA.kext.

Nullspot,s fakesmc and amended AppleHDA reside in S/L/E.

Tony - Singapore.

Tony and Others,

Great work. I was reading your post and was wondering if you started with nullspot dsdt? I'd be interested in giving your DSDT a go but don't see it attached. Would you be willing to upload your DSDT?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following?

My Geekbench 32bit is getting 11,661 which is pretty damn nice but.....

I currently have the following problems:

No sleep - Ok it sleeps but when i wake it up the screen won't come back.

Yellow disk icons

Disk throttling - I noticed this when looking in the console. I don't feel a speed difference but it irks me. I wonder if this is related to the removable disk icons.

Dvd drive likes to disappear after 5 min of use (Waiting for media error) - This might have to do with the removable disk/controller issue but not sure. It might also be a bad DVD drive. I've noticed some issues under Windows 7 pro with this drive.

Known Problems

Esata isn't working - Seems to be a problem with the Marvell Controller - No drivers

32bit only ethernet - Driver is only 32bit

Only one DVI port works at a time - 10.6.4 broke dual DVI. Problem is with NVDAResman and or NVDANV50Hal - I've tried to go back to the 10.6.3 kext's but got KP's.

Kakewalk and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method - 10.6.4

Using Nullspot's DSDT

SLE AppleHDA.kext (orange)

Extra fakesmc (yellow)

Extra Legacy889HDA.kext

Extra NVEnabler 64.kext

RealTek ethernet driver Installer fix

I'm currently running a GA-x58A-UD3R 2.0 with a 930 @ 3.85 GHZ, CoolerMaster Storm Scout case, CoolerMaster hyper 212 plus (push & pull) cooler, 6gig GSkill 1600 (@ 1624 or so), MSI 250 TwinFroster 1 gig, WD 500 Gig, WD 120 Gig, Maxtor 100 gig, samsung SH-S223C.

Thanks,

Curt

Hi guys, wondering if you could chime in on a USB problem I'm having. When I plug my iPod Touch into the USB 3.0 ports in the back, it charges fine, but iTunes does not recognize the iPod as plugged in. It works normally in all the other regular USB 2.0 ports though. I was just wondering, if that just because Apple doesn't support USB 3.0 yet? Or is my system messed up in some way? Do you guys have iPods/iPhones mounted fine in iTunes through USB 3.0? Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi guys, wondering if you could chime in on a USB problem I'm having. When I plug my iPod Touch into the USB 3.0 ports in the back, it charges fine, but iTunes does not recognize the iPod as plugged in. It works normally in all the other regular USB 2.0 ports though. I was just wondering, if that just because Apple doesn't support USB 3.0 yet? Or is my system messed up in some way? Do you guys have iPods/iPhones mounted fine in iTunes through USB 3.0? Thanks in advance for your help!

Yeah apple doesn't have drivers for usb 3.0, so when you plug it in those slots all it can do is charge.

So I had to RMA my rev 1.0 board because I forked up the cpu pins (as a result all my memory was not recognized anymore) and they sent back a rev 2.0 board. If I had everything working before in 64-bit, would all I need now is to replace the dsdt with nullspots dsdt and install jacoverse' IONetworkingFamily.kext to (E/E) to get back to where I was (64-bit with ethernet)? (On the Snow Leopard side anyway, because I know I have to setup the bios and everything the way I had it before, and probably reinstall windows altogether because the boards are different)

On another note has anyone tried d00d's newly compiled RealtekR1000 kext in place of jacoverse's? I guess there would be no need to if we're good in 64-bit now with jacoverse's, but I was just curious.

the front panel audio header is not working properly in OSX, but is correct when booting windows. I used the patched AppleHDA + Legacy889HDA kexts from post #38.

I just tried my front panel audio and it is not working either...

anybody have working audio from the front panel header?

what's the solution?

thanks,

econ3000

So, my setup for SL went fine under stock cpu speeds.

Now, after overclocking, i get a KP on boot. The only major changes I did in the BIOS are the BCLK + voltage changes, and turning off HT.

If I boot in safemode (-x at chameleon), everything seems to run fine.

I'm using the posted DSDT for i7 920...is there something I need to edit in the DSDT to stop the KP on boot?

----

Got it to work by using the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Running in 32bit because of the ATI 5850

Geekbench 32 - 10328

Idle's at 48C according to iStat.

I´ve been trying to install SL on my rev 2 x58a-ud3r i7 930 cpu for four days now, tried everything think I´ve gone through all the guides out there and I was glad when I finally found this thread. Been reading and trying stuff from this thread also but there is just no way in H I can get that SL to install with this mobo. Only time I had it up running was with a CCC harddrive from my ga ep45_ds3 hack but only if I booted with kdtechs SL boot disc and even that does´nt work no more. I`m taking it back to the store just got to be something wrong with it cause it hardly even can run Win XP once it even died under the win xp installation. Been thinking my 7300 gs videocards might not be compatible with the i7 cpu or something but it´s kind of strange I actually could get it to load the os two times.

So I had to RMA my rev 1.0 board because I forked up the cpu pins (as a result all my memory was not recognized anymore) and they sent back a rev 2.0 board. If I had everything working before in 64-bit, would all I need now is to replace the dsdt with nullspots dsdt and install jacoverse' IONetworkingFamily.kext to (E/E) to get back to where I was (64-bit with ethernet)? (On the Snow Leopard side anyway, because I know I have to setup the bios and everything the way I had it before, and probably reinstall windows altogether because the boards are different)

On another note has anyone tried d00d's newly compiled RealtekR1000 kext in place of jacoverse's? I guess there would be no need to if we're good in 64-bit now with jacoverse's, but I was just curious.

Everything went smoothly. Just replaced with nullspots dsdt.aml, and loaded jacoverse's kext and I was back to normal in no time. d00d's kext only worked in 32-bit for some reason. Now for some mild overclocking.

Hi,

I have this type of card (x58a-UD3R rev 2.0) and I am trying for several days to install SL with no luck. The problem is that it simply won't boot the SL DVD (tried with Retails SL (empireefi/kakewalk), iATKOS S3, iDeneb and iATKOS v7), it shows the gray screen for 1ms then reboots.

Regarding the BIOS changes, I've set what I could to AHCI (also tried with IDE for osx flavors).

I suspect it might be my DVDR that is connected via ATA port.

PS: I've successfully managed to install SL in VirtualBox.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

I tried with different sata dvds but it did´nt matter, my guess is some of these rev 2 mobos just does´nt work like they should. I even had problems installing win xp on it, it shut down in the middle of the installation. I´m taking it back to the store and try to get a more compatible mobo instead.

How I Installed OS X Snow Leopard Client on a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Spec:

6 Gig Ram (I did NOT remove any for installation)

1Gig Nvidia GTS 250 Graphics Card (No SLI or any other cards)

i7 930 Processor

SATA 1.5tb Seagate 7200rpm hd plugged into SATA2_0 (Formatted into 2 750gig partitions because Hacks do not seem to like a single partition over 1Tb even with the latest bootloader in my experience)

SATA DVD Reader/Writer pluggedd into SATA2_1

USB Keyboard

USB Mouse

Booted into BIOS and altered the following settings

Standard CMOS Features

Set Drive A: None

Advanced BIOS Features

First Boot Device: CDROM

Second Boot Device: Hard Disk

HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability: Enabled

Intergrated Periferals

ICH SATA Control Mode: AHCI

USB Keyboard Function: Enabled

USB Mouse Function: Enabled

eSATA Control Mode: AHCI

GSATA 6_7 / IDE Ctrl Mode: AHCI

GSATA 8_9 / IDE Ctrl Mode: AHCI

Power Management Setup

HPET Mode: 64-bit mode

Save & Exit Setup

Booted from Empire EFI v1.085 for os x 10.6.3 Intel Only Generic version for mobile core i3, i5, i7 ATI & Nvidia from http://prasys.info.

At Chameleon prompt, eject Empire EFI and insert Snow Leopard 10.6.0 retail dvd, wait 30 seconds and hit F5, wait for the install dvd to show up and hit enter, once booted into the installer I noticed that the keyboard and mouse were unresponsive for about 2 minutes but I patiently waited and they became active, I hit the forward arrow, on the next screen I went to the utilities menu and selected Disk Utility, once open I selected my 1.5tb hard drive on the left and went to the partition tab on the right and chose OPTIONS, where I selected GUID as the partition table, then OK, now I partitioned the drive into two equal 750gig partitions both on Mac OS X Extended Journaled, the top partition was called HackSysHD, and the second, HackSpareHD, now I exited Disk Utility and went back to the installer, selected the partition HackSysHD and continued, selected to customise the installation and selected all option for a complete install. Hit continue and waited about 30 minutes or so. At the Install failed screen, I rebooted. Now I waited for the reboot beep and quickly ejected the install disk and replaced it with Empire EFI 4.0.1 disk, waited for the chameleon bootloader and chose the new partition HackSysHD with a verbose boot.

Once booted into Snow Leopard I ejected the Empire EFI disk and got the dsdt.aml file for an i7 930 from this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=220199 and placed it on the desktop, now I installed Multobeast v2.1.1, at install I only selected UserDSDT and clicked Continue, after install I installed RTGMac_2.0.4 for the ethernet and rebooted as instructed. The boot went fine and I was back into Snow Leopard with Ethernet working, I configured my ethernet settings and installed OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4 Combo update and rebooted, boot went according to plan and I was back up and running in no time. (But no more Ethernet)

Now I went to the terminal and did the following sudo nano /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and removed the two lines about Built in ethernet at the bottom and added in the following info

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>yes</string>

wrote out the information and exited. (Info provided from nullspot)

Grabbed a copy of macpro4_1_fakesmc.kext.zip and copied it over the one already in /Extra/Extensions/ (Info provided by nullspot)

Grabbed a copy of patched_10.6.4_AppleHDA.kext.zip and replaced it to /System/Library/Extensions/ (Info provided by nullspot)

Grabbed a copy of Legacy889HDA.kext.zip and copied it to /Extra/Extensions/ (Info provided by nullspot)

Grabbed a copy of Realtec 8111D 3264 and replaced it to /System/Library/Extensions/ (Info provided by jacoverse)

lanched kext utility from www.kexts.com and let it run.

Rebooted

Ethernet was now working again, audio was working but not great. Hard disks still had orange icons

Grabbed a copy of IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext also know as orangeIconFix from www.kexts.com and placed it into /Extra/Extensions/, and ran kext utility.

Now I went to my /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and opened it into terminal with sudo nano /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and edited the line that said arch=x386 to arch=x86_64 and wrote out the info then rebooted.

Hard drive icons now look correct, and I am in 64 bit mode.

Went and ran my first geekbench, the 32bit version gave me a score of 9037, keep in mind this system is not overclocked.

Went and ran geekbench, the 64bit version gave me a score of 9991. Also keep in mind that I am not running SSD (Solid State Disk) so SATA will be slower.

I am happy with all that for now, so I moved on to getting my apple bluetooth keyboard working with an MSI Btoes2.0 XMicro Bluetooth adaptor, I just plugged the dongle in to the usb and turned on the keyboard, it worked (ootb) out of the box. Plugged in my logitech wireless mouse and the dongle for that in the usb and that also just worked (ootb)

Now I rebooted and noted that on reboot it comes up with a new window every time I reboot saying that it has found a new network interface, with an option to cancel or go to Network Preferences, it is talking about the Bluetooth DUN, so I just went to the Network Preferences, clicked on the little + button and added a Bluetooth DUN connection, Apply, and on next reboot it goes away.

Audio seems to be the only problem that I am still having, my mic port, the pink one on the back just does not seem to work.

Hi,

I have onboard network working in 64bit mode on my X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Board.

I found this replacement for the IONetworkingFamily.kext which does the trick.

Hope it helps!

J

Realtec_8111D_3264.zip

Thanks jacoverse!

Worked for as well after numerous unsuccessful attempts. Using GA-X58A-UD7 (Rev 2.0)

Special thanks for Going Bald for the referral and guidance -

http://puru.se/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1526863

Hey guys, I kind of reseted a lof of things, reinstalled the combo update 10.6.4 because at some point at the beginning i mixed methods and my hackintosh worked but it crashed, everytime it wanted to access something on the disc gave me a lot of problems.

The thing is that the sound worked perfectly at the beginning but it crashed and it was really slow. The ethernet card only worked at 32 bits.

Then, reading the advances of this post and the awesome DSDT.aml that nullspot provided for I7-920, I tried to fix everything. I didnt do a clean install because it was loaded with Adobe CS 4 and CS 5 plus Final Cut and all the plugings, but patched everything using backups from extensions and extra file i took before installing kakewalk. After this SL never crashed it didnt took for ever to read a file or afolder from the hard drive. But the sound didnt work, and well some friend of my f#cked up connecting the speakers in the wrong plug, but i realize later that the sound was not working because of that. But by then it was too late i already installed Voodoo, with voodoo the sound worked, but the volume was too low, the headphones didnt work right. Sometimes when the headphones and the speakers were plug there was sound in both, or i had to manually select the output channel in Preference-> Sound. Before when i plugged the headphones the speakers went silent.

And for some reason i had to keep fixing permits all the time.

So today the computer was messed up, and even after i used disk utilities, it kept telling me that i need to fix permits right away if i clicked on fix permits. So i dont know what i did wrong so i reinstalled the combo update for 10.6.4 i read somewhere that it will return everything to vanilla, deleted everything from /Extra and VoodooHda from /S/L/E, booted from kakewalk, installed kakewalk as mentioned here.

The card was working.

Installed sound as mentioned here. (When I installed kakewalk, it installed Legacy.kext in /E/E, i installed the legacy899 from this thread (#33) and deleted that legacy). After that I installed the fakesmc from nullspot. and applehda, i got sound. From the speakers, from the right the speakers socket, and it is way louder than before.

Installed the same things jfoo installed with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] (post #121)

And everything seemed to work, except the headphones. When ever I tried using them the whole audio freezes, the mouse changes to that loading circle it shows everytime the computer is procesing something, cannot raise or lower the volumen. After that I unplug the headphones from the front audio socket, the volumen moves and the computer unfreezes.

It is like there are some voodoohda things still there and it is not working.

In /L/P/Audio i found the file com.apple.audio.devicesettings.plist, inside i can see a lot of

VoodooHDA engine:0 .... 6

I deleted those files from /L/Preference/Audio and they reappear with the VoodooHDA . With the speakers connectd if I plug the headphones on Left, right or middle sockets in the back sockerts, i can hear sound but when i plugged them to the front i just listen similar to a vinyl record when it is stacked at the end(really low) and the computer freezes. Unpluging the headphones brings everything back to normal.

Is there a way to reset all the preferences and erase any trace of voodoo , beside erasing the kext which i already did.?

So I've finally jumped into the DSDT mess and built a custom DSDT for the rev2.0 x58a-ud3r board and the i7-930 proc. I didn't include any fixes for video (GraphicsEnabler=yes takes care of basic video). Ethernet is included, so remove any ethernet strings (including built-in) from your com.apple.boot.plist.

x58_ud3r_rev2_dsdt.zip

This was all done according to d00d's excellent (if overwhelming) guide, and the performance I'm seeing is better than the soemo DSDT that was posted earlier. Even startup is quite faster. System is also very stable.

** Note: you need to make the following changes to your .plists:

To make the CPU changes work correctly, add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>yes</string>

Identify your machine as MacPro4,1 in smbios.plist.

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro4,1</string>

Modify fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist in two places with MacPro4,1 specific information (1.30f3 and smc-napa changed to 1.39f5 and smc-thurley).

or just grab this fakesmc i've already modded:

macpro4_1_fakesmc.kext.zip

Just to double check if I have understood this correct, if I have a GA-X58A-UD3R rev2.0 motherboard as I do, and I have an i7-930 processor as I do, then do I still need to do this section in nullspot's post or is this only for i7-920 processor users

To make the CPU changes work correctly, add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>yes</string>

Please clarify for me.

Has anybody with this board managed to get the sound working perfectly and if so please enlighten me, Out of the 6 jacks at the back of this board I only need to use 2, the pink mic port, and the green speaker port, only the green one is working for me, the pink mic port, worked for about 2 minutes and then just stopped, and never came back.

On the front of the machine I have the green and the pink again, neither of these work and the speaker one just makes a clicking sound.

I am using the following kexts for audio

patched_10.6.4_AppleHDA.kext.zip, replaced it to /System/Library/Extensions/ (Info provided by nullspot)

Legacy889HDA.kext.zip, copied it to /Extra/Extensions/ (Info provided by nullspot)

The only other piece of critical info I think you may need is that I am running in 64Bit mode.

Tony and Others,

Great work. I was reading your post and was wondering if you started with nullspot dsdt? I'd be interested in giving your DSDT a go but don't see it attached. Would you be willing to upload your DSDT?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following?

My Geekbench 32bit is getting 11,661 which is pretty damn nice but.....

I currently have the following problems:

No sleep - Ok it sleeps but when i wake it up the screen won't come back.

Yellow disk icons

Disk throttling - I noticed this when looking in the console. I don't feel a speed difference but it irks me. I wonder if this is related to the removable disk icons.

Dvd drive likes to disappear after 5 min of use (Waiting for media error) - This might have to do with the removable disk/controller issue but not sure. It might also be a bad DVD drive. I've noticed some issues under Windows 7 pro with this drive.

Known Problems

Esata isn't working - Seems to be a problem with the Marvell Controller - No drivers

32bit only ethernet - Driver is only 32bit

Only one DVI port works at a time - 10.6.4 broke dual DVI. Problem is with NVDAResman and or NVDANV50Hal - I've tried to go back to the 10.6.3 kext's but got KP's.

Kakewalk and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method - 10.6.4

Using Nullspot's DSDT

SLE AppleHDA.kext (orange)

Extra fakesmc (yellow)

Extra Legacy889HDA.kext

Extra NVEnabler 64.kext

RealTek ethernet driver Installer fix

I'm currently running a GA-x58A-UD3R 2.0 with a 930 @ 3.85 GHZ, CoolerMaster Storm Scout case, CoolerMaster hyper 212 plus (push & pull) cooler, 6gig GSkill 1600 (@ 1624 or so), MSI 250 TwinFroster 1 gig, WD 500 Gig, WD 120 Gig, Maxtor 100 gig, samsung SH-S223C.

Thanks,

Curt

dsdt.aml.zip

Curt apologies - I have just seen your comments. here is the dsdt. Brgds

dsdt.aml.zip

Hey guys, I kind of reseted a lof of things, reinstalled the combo update 10.6.4 because at some point at the beginning i mixed methods and my hackintosh worked but it crashed, everytime it wanted to access something on the disc gave me a lot of problems.

The thing is that the sound worked perfectly at the beginning but it crashed and it was really slow. The ethernet card only worked at 32 bits.

Then, reading the advances of this post and the awesome DSDT.aml that nullspot provided for I7-920, I tried to fix everything. I didnt do a clean install because it was loaded with Adobe CS 4 and CS 5 plus Final Cut and all the plugings, but patched everything using backups from extensions and extra file i took before installing kakewalk. After this SL never crashed it didnt took for ever to read a file or afolder from the hard drive. But the sound didnt work, and well some friend of my f#cked up connecting the speakers in the wrong plug, but i realize later that the sound was not working because of that. But by then it was too late i already installed Voodoo, with voodoo the sound worked, but the volume was too low, the headphones didnt work right. Sometimes when the headphones and the speakers were plug there was sound in both, or i had to manually select the output channel in Preference-> Sound. Before when i plugged the headphones the speakers went silent.

And for some reason i had to keep fixing permits all the time.

So today the computer was messed up, and even after i used disk utilities, it kept telling me that i need to fix permits right away if i clicked on fix permits. So i dont know what i did wrong so i reinstalled the combo update for 10.6.4 i read somewhere that it will return everything to vanilla, deleted everything from /Extra and VoodooHda from /S/L/E, booted from kakewalk, installed kakewalk as mentioned here.

The card was working.

Installed sound as mentioned here. (When I installed kakewalk, it installed Legacy.kext in /E/E, i installed the legacy899 from this thread (#33) and deleted that legacy). After that I installed the fakesmc from nullspot. and applehda, i got sound. From the speakers, from the right the speakers socket, and it is way louder than before.

Installed the same things jfoo installed with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] (post #121)

And everything seemed to work, except the headphones. When ever I tried using them the whole audio freezes, the mouse changes to that loading circle it shows everytime the computer is procesing something, cannot raise or lower the volumen. After that I unplug the headphones from the front audio socket, the volumen moves and the computer unfreezes.

It is like there are some voodoohda things still there and it is not working.

In /L/P/Audio i found the file com.apple.audio.devicesettings.plist, inside i can see a lot of

VoodooHDA engine:0 .... 6

I deleted those files from /L/Preference/Audio and they reappear with the VoodooHDA . With the speakers connectd if I plug the headphones on Left, right or middle sockets in the back sockerts, i can hear sound but when i plugged them to the front i just listen similar to a vinyl record when it is stacked at the end(really low) and the computer freezes. Unpluging the headphones brings everything back to normal.

Is there a way to reset all the preferences and erase any trace of voodoo , beside erasing the kext which i already did.?

Mhh sounds like a cache issue.

Go to System/Library/Caches and DELETE all the files ensuring that you empty the Trash, then reboot, all the files you deleted will be recreated in the cache folder, although the shutdown and reboot will take a bit longer than usual.

good luck...

I do have some really cool USB stuff in there that's got my iPad/Phone charging on the USB ports. Maybe we can get ours merged to some sort of Super DSDT.

This sounds like a great enhancement to add to the base DSDT in post #33. I have read through the rest of the thread but didn't notice any further development along these lines. Were you successful in merging this in?

Thanks!

Rick

CPU: Intel i7-920

RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) (OCZ3G1600LV6GK)

Motherboard: GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2

Video card: Gigabyte 9800GT (GV-N98TSL-1GI)

Boot drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 640 (WD6400AAKS)

Optical drive: Sony Optiarc (AD-7260S-0B)

Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance (RC-692-KKN2)

1. Install Snow Leopard with Kakewalk 2.2 selecting EX58 UD-5

No problem with installation, following the instructions that comes with Kakewalk completely. After installation computer could sleep, restart without problem.

Per: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1520995

2. To get Audio, etc working run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

Kexts---->Audio--->LegacyHDA--->ALC889

Kexts---->Audio--->HDAEnabler--->ALC889

Kexts---->Audio--->AppleHDA 10.6.2

Kexts---->Disk--->IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (fixes the orange hard drive icons)

Kexts---->Graphics--->NVEnabler

Advanced Options -> smbios.plis -> Mac Pro -> Core i7

Per: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1503895

3. To get Ethernet working:

I installed Kext Utility via [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with the Realtec_8111D_3264 kext available at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1510445

4. Misc. At this point everything works, except I kept hearing a high pitch sound from the power supply (coil whine). To get rid of the sound, I went into the BIOS and disabled EIST.

Thank you for everyone who's contributed to this thread for making my first hackintosh build painless.

No problem with installation, following the instructions that comes with Kakewalk completely. After installation computer could sleep, restart without problem.

2. To get Audio, etc working run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

Kexts---->Disk--->IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (fixes the orange hard drive icons)

I installed Kext Utility via [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with the Realtec_8111D_3264 kext available at:

4. Misc. At this point everything works, except I kept hearing a high pitch sound from the power supply (coil whine). To get rid of the sound, I went into the BIOS and disabled EIST.

Thank you for everyone who's contributed to this thread for making my first hackintosh build painless.

Did you use nullsoft DSDT?

Did you use nullsoft DSDT?

No, I used the default spat out by Kakewalk. I did try nullsoft's DSDT and that ran fine but with sleep issues. At the time I didn't know what the cause was, so I reinstalled the OS as posted without fakesmc. My system sleeps without problem. I think sleep issue's related to the fakesmc kext.

I've got my i7-930 up and running well with the exception of sleep, but have a bunch of follow-up questions. Here goes...

PERFORMANCE/OC'ing

Can I get some input on people's BIOS settings for this board and a i7-930?

There are significant differences between what others with 930s are seeing in their 32-bit Geekbench scores (9037, 9506, 10070, 9330, 8700, 9111, ) and what I'm seeing. The absolute best I've gotten is just a hair over 8300 with it typically in the 8000-8100 range.

I've seen some references to people removing the nullcpumanament.kext from E/E. Is that recommended? Are there side effects?

Along these lines, is this the d00d power management thread which is mentioned mant times but never actually linked?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771

And last, if anyone has any advice on OC'ing the 930, I'd really appreciate it. Got the machine stable now but definitely want the extra juice.

NETWORKING

Jacoverse posted a replacement IONetworkingFamily.kext that is supposed to work in 64-bit. To be honest, I'm a little confused about this one.

I downloaded a different IONetworkingFamily.kext from elsewhere in the thread and it is in E/E. Should I expect better performance by getting rid of the one currently in E/E, also getting rid of the default one in S/L/E, and placing this new one in S/L/E?

Some users have mentioned that this kext also helped with their sleep problem. Is that a confirmed bonus with this?

And I've seen mention that this kext kills an airport card. Is that the case for everyone? I'd love to have sleep working, but I'm going to be putting a Broadcom Airport Extreme card in this machine soon as the router is in another room.

BIOS

I'm still running the stock FA BIOS for this board. Should I upgrade to the most recent? I'm more than a little nervous about undoing my work and causing instability issues.

Ok, I think that's it. :)

Thanks.

--

tG

is 5.1 sound??