Israel and Palestine

Swad

596 posts in this topic

The Jewish’s slaves have all the privilege that the Egypt wasn’t given them (I can post you the sections if you want).

So what is your question?

Yes the bolds supposed to have an impact somehow on the Israel and Palestine conflict (this is the main topic, no?).

Regarding the "punishing children for the deeds of their parents", well... he create the humankinds so saying evil to the one who crate you it's kind of naive.

We are not robots. God give us the option choosing between good and bad. If you are choosing bad what are you expected?

you just asked me if there was evil in the ten commandments as if it couldnt be questioned, then i questioned it, said there may be a little evil in it and you basically say "so what, its the world of god". This is exactly the danger im talking about in this world, we dont question our beliefs, we follow them blindly, without even for a second thinking of the consequences, this is the reason for the israel/palestein conflict, on both sides, and to be quite frank, its wrong...

Well, basically I think this is our world.

If we where follows the Ten Commandments blindly, without even for a second thinking, I think the world would be wonderful place (this is not beliefs question).

Personally I believe that "You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God" is the main issue of the Ten Commandments.

If we where follows the Ten Commandments blindly, without even for a second thinking, I think the world would be wonderful place (this is not beliefs question).

Personally I believe that "You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God" is the main issue of the Ten Commandments.

well again...picking and choosing importance, you claim that the wrongful use of the name of god is the main issue, but the way I see it, that has nothing to do with human behavior, only the continuance of the religion.

Also, if the word thats written down is really gods word, if its so flawless, it can withstand a few questions...and since it cant, it must not be the word of god, just the way I see it.

And yes, my original statement still holds water, the ten commandments are ethnocentric, and dont take into account the people of the world and THEIR religious beliefs, only the beliefs of the jews, so what?! everybody has their beliefs, jewish beliefs are no more special than buddhist beliefs, muslim belifes, or atheist beliefs for that matter...theres really no justification that youre providing here, other than "its the word of god, therefore we must all follow it" but what if god didnt write them down? how do you know god wrote them down? you dont...

I mean, am I totally out of line here? Am I missing something? I just dont get it...how somebody could say that following something blindly is a good thing. I mean, isnt there something to be said for WHY we follow things, other than for the sake of following them? It just gets me wriled up sometimes...

Everything would be wonderful if everyone followed the Ten commandments?!

Must have been a joke.

The first 4 arent even enforceable.

Well… As far I was reading your posts before for you all the bible is a joke…

If you are looking at the bible in superficiality way you will never understand it.

1."I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me... .."

This commandment is to believe in the existence of God and His influence on events in the world, and that the goal of the redemption from Egypt was to become His servants (Rashi). It prohibits belief in or worship of any additional deities.

2."Do not make a sculpted image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above..."

This prohibits the construction or fashioning of "idols" in the likeness of created things (beasts, fish, birds, people) and worshipping them.

3."Thou shalt not swear falsely by the name of the LORD..."

This commandment is to never take the name of God in a vain, pointless or insincere oath (Rashi). This includes four types of prohibited oaths: an oath affirming as true a matter one knows to be false, an oath that affirms the patently obvious, an oath denying the truth of a matter one knows to be true, and an oath to perform an act that is beyond one's capabilities[citation needed].

4."Remember [zachor] the Sabbath day and keep it holy" (the version in Deuteronomy reads shamor, "observe")

The seventh day of the week is termed Shabbat and is holy, just as God ceased creative activity during Creation. The aspect of zachor (remember) is performed by declaring the greatness of the day (kiddush), by having three festive meals and by engaging in Torah study and pleasurable activities. The aspect of shamor is performed by abstaining from productive activity (the 39 melachot, forbidden categories of work) on the Shabbat.

The point about life is that you should be able to think about your acts and decisions. I ultimately believe that the whole living process is about learning, understanding and questioning for yourself or you will never become a person, just part of some herd, just some guy filling a function in society. If you believe in, or follow anything without questioning, truly understanding and even without manipulating it to some extent you will be living somebody else's dream, somebody else's utopia.

Prophets, philosophers and literary people throughout history have all managed to give us insight on human life, spirit, society and human behavior but blindly believing in any of these teachings is only going to delay your spiritual and mental growth -which is necessary for you to understand the true meaning of the teachings of the prophets not just what is literally written on the Quran or the Bible.

Just as it is silly for an artist trying to paint like Van Gogh or a musician trying to compose like Mozart because they have set fine examples, it is silly to follow the word of any man just because their teachings are fine examples, this person be Jesus, Muhammed or Moses.

Long word short, true religion requires thought and effort on the spiritual and mental side, blindly following written words or physically performing the worshipping duties is not the right path to follow in my opinion.

Well… As far I was reading your posts before for you all the bible is a joke…

If you are looking at the bible in superficiality way you will never understand it.

1."I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me... .."

This commandment is to believe in the existence of God and His influence on events in the world, and that the goal of the redemption from Egypt was to become His servants (Rashi). It prohibits belief in or worship of any additional deities.

2."Do not make a sculpted image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above..."

This prohibits the construction or fashioning of "idols" in the likeness of created things (beasts, fish, birds, people) and worshipping them.

3."Thou shalt not swear falsely by the name of the LORD..."

This commandment is to never take the name of God in a vain, pointless or insincere oath (Rashi). This includes four types of prohibited oaths: an oath affirming as true a matter one knows to be false, an oath that affirms the patently obvious, an oath denying the truth of a matter one knows to be true, and an oath to perform an act that is beyond one's capabilities[citation needed].

4."Remember [zachor] the Sabbath day and keep it holy" (the version in Deuteronomy reads shamor, "observe")

The seventh day of the week is termed Shabbat and is holy, just as God ceased creative activity during Creation. The aspect of zachor (remember) is performed by declaring the greatness of the day (kiddush), by having three festive meals and by engaging in Torah study and pleasurable activities. The aspect of shamor is performed by abstaining from productive activity (the 39 melachot, forbidden categories of work) on the Shabbat.

yes yes, youve said these commmandments like 3 times but honestly, WHY do people need to follow them, you still have not answered this very basic question. I know youve said because its the word of god, but for people looking at religion with a critical eye, that simply isnt enough...

yes yes, youve said these commmandments like 3 times but honestly, WHY do people need to follow them, you still have not answered this very basic question. I know youve said because its the word of god, but for people looking at religion with a critical eye, that simply isnt enough...

Did you read the interpretation between the commandment lines?

Did you read the interpretation between the commandment lines?

yes, I read the damn interpretation, but WHY!?!?!? that is what I really want to know, you just seem to be telling me WHAT it is and I already know that, what I want to know is WHY is it important. Why cant I make an idol of something, WHY cant i worship another god, WHY cant I use your lords name in vain, whats the justification here, ive asked 3 times, and ive just gotten more of the same rubbish, if there was a real answer here, maybe I would be more inclined to follow it, but it seems that you dont even know why you follow them, only that you DO follow them

The point about life is that you should be able to think about your acts and decisions. I ultimately believe that the whole living process is about learning, understanding and questioning for yourself or you will never become a person, just part of some herd, just some guy filling a function in society. If you believe in, or follow anything without questioning, truly understanding and even without manipulating it to some extent you will be living somebody else's dream, somebody else's utopia.

Prophets, philosophers and literary people throughout history have all managed to give us insight on human life, spirit, society and human behavior but blindly believing in any of these teachings is only going to delay your spiritual and mental growth -which is necessary for you to understand the true meaning of the teachings of the prophets not just what is literally written on the Quran or the Bible.

Just as it is silly for an artist trying to paint like Van Gogh or a musician trying to compose like Mozart because they have set fine examples, it is silly to follow the word of any man just because their teachings are fine examples, this person be Jesus, Muhammed or Moses.

Long word short, true religion requires thought and effort on the spiritual and mental side, blindly following written words or physically performing the worshipping duties is not the right path to follow in my opinion.

Well, I’m totally agreed with you (As I already wroth “We are not robots. God give us the option choosing between good and bad”), bat my post “If we where follows the Ten Commandments blindly, without even for a second thinking, I think the world would be wonderful place” is to showing there is no evil in the Ten Commandments.

Well, I’m totally agreed with you (As I already wroth “We are not robots. God give us the option choosing between good and bad”), bat my post “If we where follows the Ten Commandments blindly, without even for a second thinking, I think the world would be wonderful place” is to showing there is no evil in the Ten Commandments.

ah, im sick of this, you obviously dont understand what im trying to say, you contradict yourself, you agree with the guy that says "life is about following our own utopia, and our owrn path" yet you say that following the ten commandments blindly would be wonderful for the world? that my friend is a contradiction.

and it is not showing that there is no evil in the ten commandments, all it shows is how good you are at following something blindly in ignorance, which isnt wonderful to me.

please, just do me a favor and THINK!!! Whats wrong with questions, what is so wrong about questions, its questions that help prove the truth, if these commandments are so wonderful, they can take a few questions without the arguments falling apart, i must be missing something really big here, but i just dont get how so many people can follow this stuff blindly, it just baffles me like you woudlnt believe.

why cant people rely on their own moral code, I think the world would be a much better place if people relied on their own morals, Im an atheist, I have no set of rules telling me what to do, but I care about my fellow human beings, and I do everything I can to make sure that Im doing right in the world, how do you explain that? why is there any reason for me to be acting the way I am? There isnt, I act this way, simply because its right, and I know its right, it has nothing to do with rules, rewards, or punishments, just my sense of right and wrong in the world

yes, I read the damn interpretation, but WHY!?!?!? that is what I really want to know, you just seem to be telling me WHAT it is and I already know that, what I want to know is WHY is it important. Why cant I make an idol of something, WHY cant i worship another god, WHY cant I use your lords name in vain, whats the justification here, ive asked 3 times, and ive just gotten more of the same rubbish, if there was a real answer here, maybe I would be more inclined to follow it, but it seems that you dont even know why you follow them, only that you DO follow them

When you making idol of something, you have no “fear” because something is just something and something doesn’t give you law, reward… (Inside you, you know that it’s just something and you have no fear like killing other person, stealing etc…).

The reason I was saying "You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God" is the main issue of the Ten Commandments. It’s because we saw people using the God name to justify wrong behaviors (sorry but I thought you already understanding this by yourself).

ah, im sick of this, you obviously dont understand what im trying to say, you contradict yourself, you agree with the guy that says "life is about following our own utopia, and our owrn path" yet you say that following the ten commandments blindly would be wonderful for the world? that my friend is a contradiction.

and it is not showing that there is no evil in the ten commandments, all it shows is how good you are at following something blindly in ignorance, which isnt wonderful to me.

please, just do me a favor and THINK!!! Whats wrong with questions, what is so wrong about questions, its questions that help prove the truth, if these commandments are so wonderful, they can take a few questions without the arguments falling apart, i must be missing something really big here, but i just dont get how so many people can follow this stuff blindly, it just baffles me like you woudlnt believe.

why cant people rely on their own moral code, I think the world would be a much better place if people relied on their own morals, Im an atheist, I have no set of rules telling me what to do, but I care about my fellow human beings, and I do everything I can to make sure that Im doing right in the world, how do you explain that? why is there any reason for me to be acting the way I am? There isnt, I act this way, simply because its right, and I know its right, it has nothing to do with rules, rewards, or punishments, just my sense of right and wrong in the world

Be patient… I will try tomorrow (I’m going to sleep now) to answer all your questions…

I have only two hands and other things to do…

When you making idol of something, you have no “fear” because something is just something and something doesn’t give you law, reward… (Inside you, you know that it’s just something and you have no fear like killing other person, stealing etc…).

The reason I was saying "You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God" is the main issue of the Ten Commandments. It’s because we saw people using the God name to justify wrong behaviors (sorry but I thought you already understanding this by yourself).

Be patient… I will try to answer all you questions…

I have only two hands and other things to do…

I dont commit crimes and do bad things because its wrong, not because im afraid something will happen to me, I simply do not wish to harm another person, it has nothing to do with god, and why should it, all im saying is that if we had to actually live with the wieght of our own decisions we wouldnt be in half the bad shape we are in now, if we didnt have a set of laws to fall back on to relieve our conscience, this world would be a better place. thats what I think anyway

"wrong behaviors" are subjective. Many people consider Jewry to be "wrong behavior".

Please enumarate the "wrong behaviors" and list why they are wrong.

to me, wrong behaviors are behaviors that fundamentally damage the society, therefore murder, rape, etc are all wrong, because they damage the society, I know you werent talking to me, but I thought i should come out there with my justification

Hope you two don't mind me adding my own little thoughts here.

killbot1000 you're right in that religion does give people a moral excuse to fight but you have to understand so do a LOT of other things in the world. It's all about belonging to something (a category) and whether you actively try and associate yourself with something or not it happens anyway quite often. And these can cause tension. For example blacks vs. whites, poor vs. rich, democracy vs. republican, British vs. French... and may other factors too. I am obviously trying to exaggerate what I’m saying but I’m just trying to show you that there is more than religion in the world that gives us a moral excuse to fight.

So, if according to the ten commandments, jewish people arent the chosen people of god, then why was their slavery wrong, yet its ok for them to have slaves
Where did you get the ‘Jews being slaves are wrong but them having slaved is ok’ part? It's interesting if true. And yossicl, I’m sorry dude but your reply ("The Jewish’s slaves have all the privilege that the Egypt wasn’t given them") doesn't really put it in a better light. Just makes it look oddly wrong... if it is true.

No one should follow anything blindly without question. That's the wrong way to go about anything. yossicl I think you should know of the story (think the Qur’an and Torah both have it) of Abraham (I think) who questioned what his people used to worship (idols)... it was only after much questioning and sole searching he found God.

That's an example to us all.

Two things here. Following anything blindly isn't good (but put that aside).

Tell me, when you say 'we', who exactly do you mean? The Jews? Because it certainly doesn't mean the rest of us too. I'm sorry to say this but:

***Judaism is a racist religion!

***You are born Jew and can't become one!

***You're mother has to be a Jew for you to be a Jew also! (Father doesn't count)

Now if all of us were captivated by the Ten Commandments you put up there and all wanted to be Gods Children (if you like), so that we can enter heaven, exactly how do we go about doing that? We can't. Because we were not the chosen people. It's nice to know that you’re special... but not when you’re stingy about it with others. If I was Jew I can't imagine telling my best mate, who wanted to become a Jew... "You can't, sorry matie... it's just unlucky you weren't born a Jew like me. Oh well lets go bowling".

So when you say the world would be a wonderful place if "we" all followed the Ten Commandments blindly, what you're basically saying is the world would be a wonderful place if the 'Jews' followed the Ten Commandments blindly, because the rest of us are unimportant to God and so doesn't concern us.

This is the one major thing that really annoys me about Judaism. And I know many other (non-religious people too) who feel exactly the same. Personally I’m surprised more people like killbot1000 don't bring it up (not that I support all of what he says).

Yossicl, this is something you should 'question' yourself about too. Do you see God rejecting others to be 'saved' too, although they want to be? That’s a major question in your faith and one I feel is unreligious as it discriminates. I don’t believe God could ever discriminate.

And secondly, to think that the TEN COMMANDMENTS all boil downs to basically meaning "You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God" is worrying. Because if it does... then it just lost a lot of respect from me. I thought of it more highly before that quote. (And I agree… it is picking and choosing here)

Also, if the word thats written down is really gods word, if its so flawless, it can withstand a few questions...and since it cant, it must not be the word of god, just the way I see it.

I just dont get it...how somebody could say that following something blindly is a good thing. I mean, isnt there something to be said for WHY we follow things, other than for the sake of following them?

That's a poor argument. Simply because yossicl may not be willing to answer your questions (or thinks that he doesn't need to - which he has avoided) doesn't mean it's not the word of God. The words themselves can only help you come to that conclusion (and should). Not others.

I've read bits from the Old Testament and see many contradictions in it (Bible too) and so don't believe it is the word of God (anymore). Also I hate the “We’re the chosen people” and “No one can become a Jew”. That doesn’t sound like God's religion to me.

I don't really think any religion (anything actually) should position it self in a way that it's followers follow blindly. We should all question. If I understand correctly isn't that the Torahs way anyway, like it is others. Jesus said the same too (from what I remember).

Hope you two don't mind me adding my own little thoughts here.

killbot1000 you're right in that religion does give people a moral excuse to fight but you have to understand so do a LOT of other things in the world. It's all about belonging to something (a category) and whether you actively try and associate yourself with something or not it happens anyway quite often. And these can cause tension. For example blacks vs. whites, poor vs. rich, democracy vs. republican, British vs. French... and may other factors too. I am obviously trying to exaggerate what I’m saying but I’m just trying to show you that there is more than religion in the world that gives us a moral excuse to fight.

Where did you get the ‘Jews being slaves are wrong but them having slaved is ok’ part? It's interesting if true. And yossicl, I’m sorry dude but your reply ("The Jewish’s slaves have all the privilege that the Egypt wasn’t given them") doesn't really put it in a better light. Just makes it look oddly wrong... if it is true.

No one should follow anything blindly without question. That's the wrong way to go about anything. yossicl I think you should know of the story (think the Qur’an and Torah both have it) of Abraham (I think) who questioned what his people used to worship (idols)... it was only after much questioning and sole searching he found God.

That's an example to us all.

Two things here. Following anything blindly isn't good (but put that aside).

Tell me, when you say 'we', who exactly do you mean? The Jews? Because it certainly doesn't mean the rest of us too. I'm sorry to say this but:

***You're mother has to be a Jew for you to be a Jew also! (Father doesn't count)

Now if all of us were captivated by the Ten Commandments you put up there and all wanted to be Gods Children (if you like), so that we can enter heaven, exactly how do we go about doing that? We can't. Because we were not the chosen people. It's nice to know that you’re special... but not when you’re stingy about it with others. If I was Jew I can't imagine telling my best mate, who wanted to become a Jew... "You can't, sorry matie... it's just unlucky you weren't born a Jew like me. Oh well lets go bowling".

So when you say the world would be a wonderful place if "we" all followed the Ten Commandments blindly, what you're basically saying is the world would be a wonderful place if the 'Jews' followed the Ten Commandments blindly, because the rest of us are unimportant to God and so doesn't concern us.

This is the one major thing that really annoys me about Judaism. And I know many other (non-religious people too) who feel exactly the same. Personally I’m surprised more people like killbot1000 don't bring it up (not that I support all of what he says).

Yossicl, this is something you should 'question' yourself about too. Do you see God rejecting others to be 'saved' too, although they want to be? That’s a major question in your faith and one I feel is unreligious as it discriminates. I don’t believe God could ever discriminate.

And secondly, to think that the TEN COMMANDMENTS all boil downs to basically meaning "You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God" is worrying. Because if it does... then it just lost a lot of respect from me. I thought of it more highly before that quote. (And I agree… it is picking and choosing here)

That's a poor argument. Simply because yossicl may not be willing to answer your questions (or thinks that he doesn't need to - which he has avoided) doesn't mean it's not the word of God. The words themselves can only help you come to that conclusion (and should). Not others.

I've read bits from the Old Testament and see many contradictions in it (Bible too) and so don't believe it is the word of God (anymore). Also I hate the “We’re the chosen people” and “No one can become a Jew”. That doesn’t sound like God's religion to me.

I don't really think any religion (anything actually) should position it self in a way that it's followers follow blindly. We should all question. If I understand correctly isn't that the Torahs way anyway, like it is others. Jesus said the same too (from what I remember).

Well, about the jews being slaves is wrong bit, it says in the ten commandments that god delivered the jews out of egypt away from slavery (implying that it was wrong), and then goes on to say that your neighbor will not covet your slave, as if they carried slaves, which seems kind of...ethnocentric to me, just an observation though.

I really dont think there should be religion in my opinion (not that I would ever raise a hand to stop religion, thats somebodies own choice), it only gives us excuses to hate eachother, and that troubles me...

the point is, who would want to ? :)

I take serious offense. If you believe that nobody would be interested in converting to the Jewish faith, fine. Give me an argument as to why it is undesirable, and everyone will be able to see that you are competent, not just following what propaganda has told you.

I take serious offense. If you believe that nobody would be interested in converting to the Jewish faith, fine. Give me an argument as to why it is undesirable, and everyone will be able to see that you are competent, not just following what propaganda has told you.

How about the 613 laws in the old testament? Why would anybody want to/be expected to follow all 613 of those laws, thats one of the main reasons why judaism is undesireable to me...

How about the 613 laws in the old testament? Why would anybody want to/be expected to follow all 613 of those laws, thats one of the main reasons why judaism is undesireable to me...

You don't have to be an Orthodox Jew, that's just one interpretation. Granted, Christianity is the religion without the restrictions (thats at least how it was billed in its early days), but I'm not kosher, and I do not observe the Sabbath each Saturday (pleanty of Christians are more observant of their religion than I), but I still maintain a Jewish identity and uphold the central tenants of the religion.

You don't have to be an Orthodox Jew, that's just one interpretation. Granted, Christianity is the religion without the restrictions (thats at least how it was billed in its early days), but I'm not kosher, and I do not observe the Sabbath each Saturday (pleanty of Christians are more observant of their religion than I), but I still maintain a Jewish identity and uphold the central tenants of the religion.

Heheh, yeah I suppose you have a point, my parents were agnostic, and somehow I slid further down the scale and became atheist hehehe

killbot1000,

I see the Ten Commandments like some kind of manual/guide for me not to doing wrong things. It’s like mother telling her little child not to touch the fire because he will burn.

I don’t think that learning on my own body touching in fire is good idea.

I don’t see any commandments telling my not to think (but teaching my, yes).

Some (I think most) of the people thinking they have moral code.

Some of people downloading copyrighted songs, movies, computer programs, Apple’s system operation (running them on non Apple’s platform) and they think that if nobody saw them stealing it’s o.k.

But if they know that they will be punished probably they will not steal, kill or lie to anybody (this is just an example of wrong behavior).

Do you still believe in yourself?

Do you still believe you have sense of right?

AcePlayer,

In the ancient world people used worker for doing some work. The word for worker was slave.

If you where living 3000 years ago working in some company you where called slave.

When the Hebrew people forced to working under Egyptian ruler they have no society condition or any kind of privileging.

The Hebrew workers (slaves) enjoy the society condition and privileging and they (slaves) did not forced to work.

I hop you understand now what I’m saying “The Jewish’s slaves have all the privilege that the Egypt wasn’t given them".

When I was saying “we” I meant to the Jewish, Christian, Muslims and some other religions. The Christianity and Muslim belief based on Judaism so we all Gods Children. You can denied as much as you want (Ten Commandments in the Koran some how are differently) but there’s a lot of common between them. Simply the Judaism was first to bring the belief in one God etc…

About 2000 years the Jews where persecuted (For example Jihad against the Jews) by others nations only because of their religion. I was never heard that the Jews persecute others nations because of their religion or anything else!!!

So how do you get that the Judaism is a racist religion?

Hitler thought…

“the Jew can't become one”

And he also killed proselyte Jews (Yes, I know you don’t believe the holocaust was never happened).

And one more thing that gets me kinda pissed to be honest.

We all shout FREEDOME OF SPEECH! FREEDOME OF SPEECH!

So exactly why am i not allowed to say the 'HOLOCAUST NEVER HAPPENED'???

I was never there. I know no one that was ever there. I was never tought it in school (Hitla yes but not holocaust). So why am i forbidden from saying 'I DON'T THINK IT HAPPENED'.... or 'I'M NOT SURE IF IT DID'.

And if that 'stupid' law is there, then why don't we have another to say you can't say 'SLAVER DIDN'T EXIST'.

That's only fair right???

“You're mother has to be a Jew for you to be a Jew also and father doesn't count”

It’s obviously clear because you certainly know it’s your mother you where inside her but you are sure you know who his your really father is?

“It's nice to know that you’re special... but not when you’re stingy about it with others”
from Where did you get that?

Reminder... Muslim belief based on Judaism...Judaism was first to bring the belief in one God...

No I don’t.

Sorry but I don’t understand your meaning.

Prove it.