DELL Vostro 3700 / 3xxx ( i5, Nvidia 330M ) OSX86 Snow 10.6.3

288 posts in this topic

hi ardeus

I replaced your Extra folder. next I start Kext Utility.

added kexts from sle.zip too.

the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/421457641/Cham....0-RC5-r530.pkg

have error :) and can't download it...

I coud boot with iPortable_Snow_x86_Installer

with :

busratio=20 cpuratio=20 cpu=2

and again I saw two video cards... (nvidia and intel) :D

can you give me more detailed description from start to the end of installation.

I don't no know how update to 10.6.4

thank you for your attention

Ivan

hi ardeus

I replaced your Extra folder. next I start Kext Utility.

added kexts from sle.zip too.

the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/421457641/Cham....0-RC5-r530.pkg

have error -_- and can't download it...

I coud boot with iPortable_Snow_x86_Installer

with :

busratio=20 cpuratio=20 cpu=2

and again I saw two video cards... (nvidia and intel) :(

can you give me more detailed description from start to the end of installation.

I don't no know how update to 10.6.4

thank you for your attention

Ivan

Hi, x69

Probably we have two different 3700's. Actually I have only 1 videocard. I took Chameleon package from here.

For installing I used Iatkos S3 v.2 (I needed MBR install) with "busratio=17 cpuratio=17"

Hi! I install osx by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] instruction. All worked perfect! But when I connected second display and rebooted then my laptop can load only with -f key. When I try to load without keys I have dark screen. What can be wrong?

Hi! I install osx by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] instruction. All worked perfect! But when I connected second display and rebooted then my laptop can load only with -f key. When I try to load without keys I have dark screen. What can be wrong?

Probably due to something with screen detection and Chameleon, just keep using the -f flag or tell Chameleon to use it on every boot.

Hey i'm really really new to this thread and all. So hey guys =D

I have a dell vostro 3700 ( bought it just to install osx on it because of the extremely similar specs )

but I have two problems.....

1) I am a effing newb at this, i don't understand anything =(

2) I don't know what i need

So if you guys can be awesome and simplify the steps needed and what is needed to install mac osx on my laptop, i would be extremely grateful

x69 - try using the attached com.Apple.boot.plist and DSDT.aml files.

Ok

I attacced com.Apple.boot.plist and DSDT.aml files from x69.zip

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0046

Revision ID: 0x0018

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Nvidia GeForce 330M :

Chipset Model: Nvidia GeForce 330M

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0a29

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: /Extra/10de_0a29.rom

Displays:

this is the output from bdmesg in zip

bdmesg.zip

Have you tried installing the app. gfxcardstatus?

I am guessing it would just show "i" for "Intel" and not give you an option to switch. But might be interesting to see what a screenshot of the application menu to see if it recognises both properly.

I have install it yet. gfxCardStatus can't switch, because see

Card: Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT :D It's not exist Intel

Here's a different one to try called GPUinfo. At least this one identifies the GPU correctly...

Can't make snapshots to the desktop, but GPUinfo not identificate CPU correctly again.

see this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...8&start=130

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:43 am

and Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:51 am

what do you thing for ATI ATY_init.kext ?

http://extraspeed.blogspot.com/2010/05/nvi...e-qi-fixed.html

That's strange too. That app. identified my 310M correctly but I guess that is maybe because my Vostro is older and does not have the Intel Graphics enabled.

You can try the modified ATY_Init.kext on that page and see what happens. Load it with kext utility and change to graphicsenabler=No in your boot.apple.com.plist before you reboot.

Maybe though there is no easy solution until either Dell bring a new BIOS to let you turn off Intel Graphics or Apple does an update that makes the Vostro use the Intel graphics correctly.

Sorry I can't test things myself (well, not really sorry as I am happy my Vostro works!).

Now I have...

Display:

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0046

Revision ID: 0x0018

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Nvidia GeForce 330M :

Chipset Model: Nvidia GeForce 330M

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0a29

Revision ID: 0x00a2

I deleted from com.Apple.boot:

<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>No</string>

and change to GraphicsEnabler=No

but GPUinfo not identificate CPU correctly again.

I install appleintelhdgraphic.kext and appleintelhdgraphicsFB.kext again.

I boot with -v -x and I saw that it exist resolution 1600x900x32,

but resolution is very bad...it isn't see anything.

For me I must start first the Intel card.Maybe from there is the problem.

I think that after I will switch to Nvidia GT330M.

My Vostro 3700 has a wireless Broadcom 4312 card. I have been able to make it working by editing /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Content/Info.plist and adding pci14e4,4315 to supported PCI IDs.

Hope this will help someone

Something else to try. Follow the instructions in this thread and use the VBIOS tool to dump the video ROMs from both your GPUs.

Then download Hexedit and compare the rom file from your intel to the rom file from my intel gpu which is here:

EDIT: That's really odd. The device ID 2A02 is one used by Intel GMA x3100 - what the heck is that ID doing in an Intel i5 GPU????

I wonder if the difference between Vostros that just use Nvidia and the ones that you have is actually in the video rom. If the Video roms are different then perhaps one solution (drastic) to make the Nvidia be the only card is finding a way to flash the ROM of the Intel to change it.

I really do not advise anyone to actually try flashing, but it would be good to know now if the ROMs from the Intel GPUs are different between early Vostro and late Vostros as that may help to understand the solution.

For the moment, maybe just try to get your Video Roms and upload them so we can compare....

This is the rom file from my intel gpu:

0046.0314.C000.vga.rom.zip

From the attached put:

DSDT.aml in Extra; HDAIDT.kext in Extra/Extensions; AppleHDA.kext in System/Library/Extensions (using Kext Utility).

Good luck in your hacking.

DSDT is latest BIOS version A09 for 3700

i have done everything like you said but... at the end i get notification that kext is not properly installed.

i have installed mac on my 3700 based on -tonymacx86 & MacMan instruction and only i have not done is update to 10.6.4(because i have read that update kills LAN card.

after booting using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] cd i have run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] application and was expecting that i could boot after restart from Snow Leopard drive(not from iboost cd).

next problem is audio that does not want work.

i am trying to run mac os x on my 3700 since i have bought it but i still can not get it proper.

if you have some time and wish to help please give me info on issues i have with my installation.

i have read al posts at give site but it could not help me.

or if some one have mac os x iso built especially for Vostro 3700 it will be great :(

thank you in advance!

Alright. Here you go.

Download the folder linked to here.

In the folder is an iso. Burn it to a CD. Buy a retail version of OSX 10.6.3.

Start up your Vostro from your newly burnt boot CD.

When you get to the boot screen eject the cd , insert the OSX DVD and press F5.

Select the Install DVD and do a normal OSX install. You have to first reformat your internal disk for Mac. Up to you if you do this on a clean new hard disk - I recommend it as obviously you don't want to throw away all your working stuff from WIndows 7.

Once the install has been successful, reboot (from the boot CD) and do the usual OSX set up stuff.

Next job is to install a bootloader. You can use the Chameleon installer.

Once that is done, take the files from my "Extra3700" folder and put them inside the "Extra" folder that Chameleon has created for you at the root of your hard disk [for people with a 3500 use the files from the Extra3500 folder I have included].

When that is done install Kext Utility to the Applications folder. I suggest you then drag from the applications folder to the OSX dock (bottom part of your desktop screen) so you can use it from there.

Next, drag the folder AppleHDA.kext onto the "kext utility" icon in the dock and enter your password when prompted.

When you restart you should have a Vostro that pretty much works.

Except:

(1) If you have a new Vostro you will not have full screen resolution - read the thread, no solution yet

(2) Sleep will not work correctly.

(3) You will not have Wifi. Depending on what your Wifi card is you can either replace it or modify a kext or two to try and make it work. See the recent post about that.

(4) Your SD card slot may or may not work depending on which one Dell fitted.

Whenever there is a full OSX update (e.g. to go from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4) expect that you will definitely have to (A) redo the installing of AppleHDA.kext by using the one I have given you and ( B ) other weird {censored} may happen.

Most importantly read lots and then learn by mistakes. All the information is here to get stuff okay(ish) but it often takes effort to work it out.

DUDE THANKS ALOT BRO!!

• 2 weeks later...

Now I get deep sleep / hibernate working! :-)

It works with the attached SleepEnabler.kext on 10.6.3.

add this to Extra/Extensions

maybe remove Disabler.kext (? just try)

set on terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 7

I moved the other kexts from Extra/Extensions to the System/Library/Extensions, now boot is much faster. The system gets up from Image in approx. 20 sec.

good luck! :-)

Anybody here gets an Idea how to get a proper swich off after shutdown?

Currently I have to press the Power Button manually. restart works.

SleepEnabler.kext.zip

Using 10.6.4, i think ethernet works though? Does yours show up? I do recommend DW1510 card to replace the 1520 very simple and works OTB.

Mine shown below. And VMware works in 10.6.4 + Better graphics driver for GT330m (notice transparency on top menu bar, i dun think it was there in 10.6.3)

I used iAtkos 10.6.3 + Automatic Update ([url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] image as boot and Extra folder in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] as Extra folder in boot drive)

Note: Cannot Sleep otherwise installation disk will not boot again once restarted, i use InsomniaX to make sure computer does not sleep)

post-412067-1287685205_thumb.png

post-412067-1287685361_thumb.png

post-412067-1287685490_thumb.png

Using 10.6.4, i think ethernet works though? Does yours show up? I do recommend DW1510 card to replace the 1520 very simple and works OTB.

Mine shown below. And VMware works in 10.6.4 + Better graphics driver for GT330m (notice transparency on top menu bar, i dun think it was there in 10.6.3)

I used iAtkos 10.6.3 + Automatic Update ([url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] image as boot and Extra folder in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] as Extra folder in boot drive)

Note: Cannot Sleep otherwise installation disk will not boot again once restarted, i use InsomniaX to make sure computer does not sleep)

10.6.4 breaks local LAN on my install. I can´t access other network computers. Internet and VNC still works fine. I wait for 10.6.5 and will then try again. The LAN Break also appears on some real macs, too.

You can change the hibernate mode using the command in my last post. Sleep doesn´ t work yet, but hibernation (deep sleep) is a good alternative and way faster than nomal boot.

I see "en1" with "status: inactive" when I run ifconfig in terminal. However, there is no airport in my network setup. I can get more info when I get home, but I'm bored at work and figured I would see what help I might be able to get.

Also, is it normal to have mac to show me the shutdown prompt everytime I close the lid or plug or unplug power?

Hi, I have a Dell Vostro 3500

I followed all the instructions given by MiniHack.

All works fine when I boot with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD.

But when I try to boot directly from my hdd, I get theses logs :

Loaded HFS+ file: [system/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist] 479 bytes from 4252940.

Hibernate image is too old by 29367 seconds. Use ForceWake=y to override

Loading Darwin 10.6

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Loaded HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] 4096 bytes from 4252940.

Loaded HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] 7442126 bytes from 4252940.

LoadDrivers: Loading from [/Extra/Extensions.mkext]

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/Extensions.mkext] 4096 bytes from 4252940.

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/Extensions.mkext] 684269 bytes from 4252940.

LoadDrivers: Loading from [/system/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext]

Loaded HFS+ file: [system/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext] 4096 bytes from 4252940.

Loaded HFS+ file: [system/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext] 4860121 bytes from 4252940.

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/smbios.plist] 829 bytes from 4252940.

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/DSDT.aml] 40223 bytes from 4252940.

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 0

nVidia Unknown 512MB NVa8 [10de:0a75] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

LAN Controller [10ec:8168] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x2)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Setting up lan keys

Found SMBIOS System Information Table 1

Customizing SystemID with : 44454c4c-4800-1036-804e-c4c04f354e31

Patched DMI Table

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/DSDT.aml] 40223 bytes from 4252940.

Table /Extra/DSDT.aml read and stored at: ee3000

New DSDT Loaded in memory

No ACPI version 1 found. Ignoring

RSDP version 2 found @f0410. Length=36

RSDT @bf5df040, Length 64

TABLE FACP, FADT found @bf5df0e8, Length 132

FADT: Restart Fix applied !

DSDT: Old @bf5df170, cbb16350, New @ee3000, cbb16350

TABLE APIC,TABLE SSDT,TABLE MCFG,TABLE HPET,TABLE OSFR,TABLE SSDT,

RSDT: Original checksum 103, New checksum 125 at eee000

XSDT @0;bf5df088, Length=92

FADT found @0,bf5e8520, Length 244

FADT: Restart Fix applied !

DSDT: Old @bf5df170,bf5df170, New @ee3000,ee3000

TABLE FACP@ef1000,TABLE APIC@bf5e8618,TABLE SSDT@bf5e8690,TABLE MCFG@bf5e87e0, TABLE HPET@bf5e8820,TABLE 0SFR@bf5e8858,TABLE SSDT@bf5e88e0,RSDP: Original checksum 49, New checksum 175

RSDP: Original extended checksum 72New extended checksum 237

Patched ACPI version 2 DSDT

Press a key to continue... (DEBUG_DSDT)

Hi,

I read the threat from beginning and it seems that the Vostro is a good MB replacement.

And you are giving a good help!

If I read it correctly there are only a few things that are not working:

- sleep

- speedstep

- Nvidia 330M

1. But what does it mean "you will not have full screen resolution" with 330M. Is QE/CI/OpenCL working?

What's about external DVI port?

2. If I buy a 3700 without 330M (with the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD), will DVI and QE/CI/OpenCL and all resolution work?

3. Is Firewire working?

Since there is a special offer from Dell in Germany the next 3 days, I would appreciate to have a quick answer.

Rainer

Hi,

I read the threat from beginning and it seems that the Vostro is a good MB replacement.

And you are giving a good help!

If I read it correctly there are only a few things that are not working:

- sleep

- speedstep

- Nvidia 330M

1. But what does it mean "you will not have full screen resolution" with 330M. Is QE/CI/OpenCL working?

What's about external DVI port?

2. If I buy a 3700 without 330M (with the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD), will DVI and QE/CI/OpenCL and all resolution work?

3. Is Firewire working?

Since there is a special offer from Dell in Germany the next 3 days, I would appreciate to have a quick answer.

Rainer

Hi Rainer, 330M QE/CI full res, HDMI second monitor, firewire and most other things works great, without any twaeks look this thread and the wiki!

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ith_NVIDIA_330M

Not working is: real sleep (hibernate works since yesterday) and the ricoh card reader.

In your DSDT change SBRG to LPCB throughout and then find this script:

Alternatively just use any of the DSDTs that have been posted on here according to your BIOS version as they all have the shutdown fix in them....

thanks, I am a bit afraid to change the DSDTs .. is there another easy way for nnobs like me?

Hi MiniHack and carlos228,

thanks for the very quick reply.

But...

carlos are you talking ("330M works great") of the "old" version fo 3700 (before Audust) and MiniHack are you saying that with the actual 3700 the 330M is not working at all and the Intel grafic is crappy, that means no full resolution, noQE/CI etc.

I'm sorry to ask again, but English is not my mother tongue and at school, mmh, it was not my favourite subject.

Rainer