DELL Vostro 3700 / 3xxx ( i5, Nvidia 330M ) OSX86 Snow 10.6.3

288 posts in this topic

Hello Rainer,

I don't have firewire on my 3500 so cannot answer that (no one has mentioned a problem so I guess it is ok!).

Big BUT for you is QE/CI and full resolution because if you buy a new Vosto then it will have Optimus type graphics switching which does not work under OSX - it uses the Intel GPU for which there is no full resolution solution yet.

The early Vostros (before August) use only the Nvidia GPU and therefore they do have full QE/CI and are better for OSX.

Hope that makes it clear. If you buy a new one then unless/until someone solves the optimus problem you will have crappy resolution that only uses the Intel GPU.

That is because you are using a debug version of Chameleon. If you press a key it continues, right? The debug mode is just to let you see what is going on.

In the case where you don't want to see these messages just use a different bootloader version and the messages go away.........

No, I used the verbose mode, and if I press a key, it's a black screen and nothing happends if I wait for 20 minutes.

I'll try with another version of chameleon. I took the one from your post.

Hi MiniHack and carlos228,

thanks for the very quick reply.

But...

carlos are you talking ("330M works great") of the "old" version fo 3700 (before Audust) and MiniHack are you saying that with the actual 3700 the 330M is not working at all and the Intel grafic is crappy, that means no full resolution, noQE/CI etc.

I'm sorry to ask again, but English is not my mother tongue and at school, mmh, it was not my favourite subject.

Rainer

new version ? don´ t know about .. but you could just order and try via external USB drive. If no success return it simply to DELL.

But I am shure It will be possible at least with one of the NVInject kexts

Alright. Here you go.

Download the folder linked to here.

In the folder is an iso. Burn it to a CD. Buy a retail version of OSX 10.6.3.

Start up your Vostro from your newly burnt boot CD.

When you get to the boot screen eject the cd , insert the OSX DVD and press F5.

Select the Install DVD and do a normal OSX install. You have to first reformat your internal disk for Mac. Up to you if you do this on a clean new hard disk - I recommend it as obviously you don't want to throw away all your working stuff from WIndows 7.

Once the install has been successful, reboot (from the boot CD) and do the usual OSX set up stuff.

Next job is to install a bootloader. You can use the Chameleon installer.

Once that is done, take the files from my "Extra3700" folder and put them inside the "Extra" folder that Chameleon has created for you at the root of your hard disk [for people with a 3500 use the files from the Extra3500 folder I have included].

When that is done install Kext Utility to the Applications folder. I suggest you then drag from the applications folder to the OSX dock (bottom part of your desktop screen) so you can use it from there.

Next, drag the folder AppleHDA.kext onto the "kext utility" icon in the dock and enter your password when prompted.

When you restart you should have a Vostro that pretty much works.

Except:

(1) If you have a new Vostro you will not have full screen resolution - read the thread, no solution yet

(2) Sleep will not work correctly.

(3) You will not have Wifi. Depending on what your Wifi card is you can either replace it or modify a kext or two to try and make it work. See the recent post about that.

(4) Your SD card slot may or may not work depending on which one Dell fitted.

Whenever there is a full OSX update (e.g. to go from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4) expect that you will definitely have to (A) redo the installing of AppleHDA.kext by using the one I have given you and ( B ) other weird {censored} may happen.

Most importantly read lots and then learn by mistakes. All the information is here to get stuff okay(ish) but it often takes effort to work it out.

Hi! Thx for the manual but I`ve got a few questions. After installing Mac OS I`ve install Chameleon but it didn`t create any extra folder. After reboot the notebook can`t boot even with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd. Maybe I`m not right install chameleon? I used the default settings.

P.S. I`m noob in mac os. This is my first time of trying install Mac OS. Also I`m russian :)

we are located in EU (Germany) and here it is no problem to return anything / reject any purchase after sale within 2 Weeks (often 4 weeks, e.g. online / ebay). Its EU law. Of course the thing you return has to be in a proper state. You don´ t have to explain why. You don´ t even have to pay the shipping for return. It´s hard rules for dealers here.

DELL currently has a special sale without shipping costs, so there is no risk to buy, check via USB external drive and to return when no success.

I don´ t know how the situation in US.

And when I am able to install on a USB drive its no problem to transfer the install to the internal. The problem is the graphics I guess ?

Did you try some NVinjects to get the 330 running?

I found on another system (desktop) a older NVinject (for 10.5) works well on 10.6.3, an actual not. strange. Just try the different, even older versions, I am shure one will work.

Now I get deep sleep / hibernate working! :-)

It works with the attached SleepEnabler.kext on 10.6.3.

add this to Extra/Extensions

maybe remove Disabler.kext (? just try)

set on terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 7

I moved the other kexts from Extra/Extensions to the System/Library/Extensions, now boot is much faster. The system gets up from Image in approx. 20 sec.

good luck! :-)

Anybody here gets an Idea how to get a proper swich off after shutdown?

Currently I have to press the Power Button manually. restart works.

Are you using a DSDT file in combination with this ? I'm really itching to try it out but i'm afraid to mess up a working system..

Has anybody else tried this with success on 10.6.4 ?

Thanks,

Adi

Are you using a DSDT file in combination with this ? I'm really itching to try it out but i'm afraid to mess up a working system..

Has anybody else tried this with success on 10.6.4 ?

Thanks,

Adi

Couldn't get it to work with 10.6.4 kext gives me KP with that kext. And i know how ya feel with not screwing with a working system. (Im guessing ya still using windows). Apart from Sleep/CPU Power management or Speedstep the system runs like a dream. The fan is hardly audible, and as a desktop replacement its perfect.

BUT for me i got it so i know even if i mess up i've got a windows working system to go back to. I've replaced my DVD drive with another 500gb SATA drive and got windows on that drive. I can always go back to windows and mess around with mac on the other drive. (Used - http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_p...products_id=309 and converted my internal drive to a USB one)

Overall, i use OSX as my main system now. Its worth the effort!

Now I get deep sleep / hibernate working! :-)

It works with the attached SleepEnabler.kext on 10.6.3.

add this to Extra/Extensions

maybe remove Disabler.kext (? just try)

set on terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 7

I moved the other kexts from Extra/Extensions to the System/Library/Extensions, now boot is much faster. The system gets up from Image in approx. 20 sec.

good luck! :-)

Anybody here gets an Idea how to get a proper swich off after shutdown?

Currently I have to press the Power Button manually. restart works.

does this work on 10.6.4? can anyone confirm?

same here, been using nothing but OSX on my vostro since i bought it in june and it runs every day like a champ and i really dont want to ruin the track record.

im also confident enough in 64-bit mode that i ordered an 2x4GB sticks (140 bucks) to throw in my 3700, ill confirm/deny that it works fine and all when i can...

Hi !

Such a hard work here ! :o

I have a new Vostro 3500 and just finished reading the whole topic, but I'm lost:

Can I boot OSX86 for DVD ? ( with iPortable Snow x68 installer )

I read everywhere "boot from USB", why ?

thanks a lot,

Sabb'

Hi !

Such a hard work here ! :rolleyes:

I have a new Vostro 3500 and just finished reading the whole topic, but I'm lost:

Can I boot OSX86 for DVD ? ( with iPortable Snow x68 installer )

I read everywhere "boot from USB", why ?

thanks a lot,

Sabb'

Right There with you!!

I think the best abridged version was the one that minihack wrote a little back. Prob out of date now. He included all the files needed to get up and running. Company is buying Vostro 3400's so once mine arrives gonna dig more into getting everything running.

It is a little bit confusing. I asked Dell twice and they said "no Optimus in Vostro notebooks". So I bought one 3700 (as an end user, important for returning in Germany) and will see what happens. In 2 weeks I will report.

It is a little bit confusing. I asked Dell twice and they said "no Optimus in Vostro notebooks". So I bought one 3700 (as an end user, important for returning in Germany) and will see what happens. In 2 weeks I will report.

I think that the nvidia optimus is in the new Dell XPS's not the Vostros.

Excuse me,

I have Dell Vostro V3400 with bios A09

I don't know about patch dsdt to bios.

I have [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD and Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail DVD, how to install osx to my laptop?

Please....

Hi All,

I same have Dell 3700, with i5 (5400), and like us osx same time....yestoday working iportable pendrive, with cpuratio=17 command, but tuday yet no...why?....what is problem?

If again working, how to use nativ monitor resolution? (1650*1050)...and hdmi ?

please give me link to kext....thx.

(sorry my english..-) :P

New 3700 BIOS on Dell website

Version: A10

Changelog:

1.Update Intel VBIOS to V2056

2.Update Intel ME version 6.1.0.1052

3.Update MRC to V1.4 support i3 CPU.

4.Enhance SSD Security function.

link for 3700

updated to A10 - no need for a new DSDT .... still noisy fans - hope Dell is fixing this with the next

update !

Think my company is ordering 3400's for us today! So hopefully soon ill be hammering away at getting OS X on there!! :) Been following this thread for quite some time. Realize there is an issue with Video, but i am hoping for a fix. I believe there will be one along eventually. ;)

Hey Insanes!

After trying to Hackintosh my desktop, I gave up totally and even sold my computer to a friend, as I knew the next step would be my Vostro 3500. So here we are.

Dell Vostro 3500

i3-350m

4gb memory

Intel GMA 64mb shared (right?)

320 gb seagate sata, partitioned in two, with GUID, first partition "mac" in journaled and second "windows" in fat32, but didn't touch the 2nd partition or installed windows.

integrated webcam

no fingerprint reader, no bluetooth, no firewire or the Wsomething, just wireless card

I tried two distros from Hazard, 10.6.1/2 and 10.6.2 without success and now I'm running a 10.6.3 retail version I got from a good-rated-and-commented torrent. Ran it up (sorry if I make any english mistake) through Tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], his last update. Ah, I prepared an 8gb pendrive and a dual layer dvd with some software I read here inside, can't remember which one now. When booting, my system didn't recognize the pendrive, neither asking the bios to read it at first or through [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Ok, it worked from changing the boot cd to dual layer DVD and hitting F5.

I installed it twice, because at first time I did the suggested system updates, maybe it was the upgrade to 10.6.4 or anything went wrong and didn't boot back.

Now some things are nice, installed xmarks for Safari and Chrome, Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, played a while with photobooth but Front Row is not working for e.g.

I turned the forum upside down, both english and portuguese looking for solutions for the following problems.

1. I got Lizard to handle Chameleon configs but it doesn't boot up in any way. I was able to reach the Chameleon some time ago, it used to load the two partitions but restarted as soon as I hit enter on mac partition. Then, I made something trying to fix the problems and now I can't even get to Chameleon. This or that way, I always have to boot using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd. My current boot file config is:

<key>Cpus</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1366x768x32</string>
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string></string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>busratio=17</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>

QUESTION: PCIRoot is a fixed value for each computer? Mine is 0. And busratio=17 for i3/350m according to Tony.

PS: I tried many configs, this is my current.

2. Taking a look at wiki.osx86project.org (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.3/Portables#Vostro_3700_.2F_3xxx_series_with_NVIDIA_330M) for the 3xxx Dell Series, here are the hardware list and what's running and what's not.

# GRAPHIC CARD: nothing, it gives me the option of 1024 x 768 only (remember Vostro's native config is 1366 x 768, the one I've tried on Lizard). I neither can't load Front Row). I use to plug an old Sony Trinitron on my notebook as a secondary display and having it working would help me a lot in my job.

# HDMI: didn't test and wouldn't use in my day-by-day.

# RAM: ok, it recognizes my 4 gb.

# HARD DISK ok, the internal 2,5" and my 3,5" hard disks through external case plugged by eSata cable

# DVD-RW: didn't try to burn anything

# USB: once a time. It even read my Microsoft wireless mouse but can't tell you what happened among the boots that it's not working anymore. Mouse or a pendrive.

# LAN: perfect.

# KEYBOARD / TRACKPAD: Ok, I just loaded a file to convert my keyboard to Brazilian ABNT2, so I can use ç the other latin characters.

# INTERNAL SOUND: it works, but at max volume only. Tried to handle VoodooHDA and AppleHDA, nothing seems to work.

# WIRELESS: Nothing, but it says we can replace it with an AirPort card, I saw someone telling about a hardware that substitutes the Dell Wi-Fi Card internally and it costs $10.

# CARD READER: Ok, I can import pics to Lightroom like a charm.

# POWER MGMT: don't know what is meant to work. It works on and off wire, althought I don't have the batter meter visible. Tried to install without success.

That's it for now, the most important things for me to work are USB ports, wifi and the Chameleon / Lizard. Can't remember any other point atm, so insanes, if you got any suggestion or point the mistake in my face, please... I'm still smashing my head and learning the tricks of Hackintosh.

Thanks a lot!

PS: Read tons of things about DSDT but didn't want to try a thing, thought it is very complicated.

PS2: Hope I'm doing right replying in this thread. Bosses, moderate if needed!

OK! I have a Vostro 3400 with a A04 Bios. I have a Mac OSX Retail disc that i can install and it works fine. I need to install Windows 7 Now on the same HDD... How can i do it? Is there a way to make 7 install on the GUID Formatted Disc? I found this guide:

http://thegadgets.net/trickt-boy/tips-and-...dows-7-on-a-pc/

but i cant get it to work since you have to format the HDD for to GUID to get the retail version on Mac OS X to install. Please Help!!!

Alteratively is there a good way to install Mac on an MBR? If i Install 7 first it gives me an error when installing OSX because there is no GUID.

What i want to do:

Win 7 - 50 GB Partition

OSX - 40 GB Partition

Dual boot with EasyBCD

The Rest of my HDD as a FAT32 that they can share as storage.

Hi Bassjas12,

It's not too hard starting from a single partition GUID formatted disk.

Go into disk utility, select your HD and go to "partition". Drag the handle at the bottom right hand corner of the graphic to shrink the Mac partition to 40GB and then click apply. Then add your two new partitions (50GB for WIndows and the rest of your HD) by using the "+" button and format both as FAT32 (MS-DOS). Click apply again.

Shutdown and startup from your WIn 7 disk. It won't let you install to a FAT32 partition, but under the advanced settings or whatever they call it you can format your desired partition to NTFS and then install Windows.

Once everything is installed it won't let you then boot Mac.

At that stage to get back into your Mac partition you will need to already have a BootCD or a USB stick with the needed bootloader pre-installed on it to enable you to slect and boot to your Mac partition. Once you are in the Mac partition you need to set the partition as "active". You do that by following these instructions.

Finally you will need to install your bootloader again.

This is not an EasyBCD method, but instead is Chameleon type method (and the one I prefer and know works).

Good luck.

Thanks. I will give it a try and report back!

Thanks. I will give it a try and report back!

OK... heres where i am at.... I installed Mac to a single GUID partition. It installed fine. I was using MiniHack's tutorial. I installed Cameleon with the link provided in his guide. However it did not create an "Extra" Folder on the root as i thought it was supposed to. I ignored it for the time being. I Ran the HDA kext that he provided. Worked fine. When i rebooted, it rebooted to the chameleon launcher. When launching the Mac HDD it just rebooted the computer.... Not sure whats up with that. Could still boot with the boot cd fine. Booted back into the Mac, Installed the kext for the Deep Hibernation (page before this one). Tanked my system. Got a "you need to reboot your system" Error. So i did. Got the error again, so now im re-installing....

Is there something i am missing with the Chameleon install?

-Why is there no Extra Folder

-Is there a Extra Folder for the 3400 that has been provided by MiniHack?

-Only saw one for 3500, 3700

-Why when i boot to OSX does the computer just reboot?

-Tried doing a Verbose boot.

-But it just crashes/reboots so fast cant get anything from it

Here is my build if it will help

-Dell Vostro 3400

-BIOS: A04 (Do I need to update this to something else?

-Nvidia 310M

-4GB RAM

-320GB HDD

One Last Question:

-How do i know if i have an old or new video card?

-I know you can get the resolutions to work on the old

-How can i check?

Just put extra folder at the root of the Mac HD.....for instance, here is mine.

PS No need to install "kext for deep hibernation" that is just the sleepenabler.kext and it is in my Extra folder anyway.....

Alright Here is where i am at....

OSX installed

Windows 7 Installed

I can boot to both with the ibootvostro disk you made, but not with cameleon.

I installed Chameleon RC5 that you provided minihack

I put the Extra's folder In the root of my Mac Drive.

Installed AppleHDA.kext with Kext utility

I booted and checked the active disk

-I could not figure out which it was so i tried all 4 that i had (OSX, WIN7, DATA, TIME MACHINE)

-Got it to boot strait into Win7 when I selected it

-2 of the rest say " Missing Operating System"

-The last one just boot's to a blinking cursor

-I believe that this is the OSX part

I tried re-installing RC5 and it said it completed.

-reboot

Still at black screen with blinking cursor (like trying to boot to a CD)

-No CD in drive .

What am i doing wrong here? Not sure what else to try to get this to boot. Thanks for all the help so far!

-Posting this from inside of OSX. :-)

Also, how can I check if i have a old or new video card.

-in the hardware info i can see the Intel, and an Nvidia under Graphics

-Intel Shows 1024 x 768

-Nvidia shows nothing

++ UPDATE ++

-Installed Different Chameleon - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

-Now boots to bootloader

-Boot to windows Partiton - NO PROBLEM

-Boot to OSX Parttiton - INSTANT REBOOT :thumbsup_anim:

-Any ideas on how to troubleshoot/fix this?