DELL Vostro 3700 / 3xxx ( i5, Nvidia 330M ) OSX86 Snow 10.6.3

288 posts in this topic

start OSX from an external drive (FW, USB) and use Disc Warrior and after this iPortable bootfix to get the right boot voodoo on your diac back.

Cameleon then should be back and show W7 as additional start option besides the OSX partition(s).

Good luck!

short info for updating 10.6.3 to 10.6.5:

1. save

<SYS>/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext

<SYS>/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

<SYS>/System/Library/Filesystems

2. Make combo update:

(download unter: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324 )

!! after update USB (= also Mouse and Keys) may be broken so be shure you can boot from an external 10.6.3 backup system !!

Just clone your current install to an USB drive.

If Mouse and Keyboard is dead after update Boot in this Backup System and replace the kexts and the whole

<SYS>/System/Library/Filesystems

folder by the backups.

repair rights (MUST!!) and restart.

don´t kill me if you break your setup, be aware H@ckintoshes ALWAYS needs lots of Backups .. :)

Hello! I updated to 10.6.5, the system works in 32-bit mode.

This is how it should be??

All thank you very much, but it is not clear anyway ((((Apparently I'm stupid (((((((

If someone would at least explain in Russian)

Sorry, forgot to ask again.

The site is keht.kom sleepenabler.kext two modifications, they will help or not? If they help, how to install it? Drag the extra folder? Or by kext utility?

Anyone have any luck with the new graphics yet? They have a good deal on one with just the Intel card only today. Not buying it if it's a waste of my time and a bunch of frustration though. If not anyone have any suggestions since I've been looking and all the manufacturers are going to the Intel card with the core i processors. ;):help::wallbash:

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings to you all!

MiniHack

finally i have installed 10.6.3-updated to 10.6.4 Snow Leopard Retail. and i am happy :wacko:

i used VOSTRO I BOOT. and everything installed perfectly.

i have copied EXTRA from VOSTRO I BOOT to SNOW LEOPARD Drive.

so now I can boot from SNOW LEOPARD Drive directly. without any reboots and errors(like i had with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] cd.

using APPLEHDA.kext i have worked my Sound.

With piyokos extra kext folder i have worked blue tooth

by now i have problem with 1) Web Camera. can not find kext.

please advise what can i do. i have read all topics and if i have not missed some thing there are not problems like i have :censored2:

piyokos

could you please tell me what kexts i can use for my Vostro 3700 from your extra kexts folder?

i mean what kext are compatible for 3700

thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Happy New Year - I wish it will bring lot of good solution for all of us!

And great thread and thank You for your great efforts...

I'm on VOSTRO 3700, 4GB, 500GB, i5 460M, BiosA09.......and my target is ...10.6.3

Instaled 10.6.3 system from retail cd with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] vostro edition...because standard [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] crashed 10.6.3 installation every time.... but worked

when I tried to install 10.6.0.......

then installed [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.0.3 as suggested in Vostro 3xxx series - Installation and dual boot guide........

then copied extra folder from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] vostro SO to extra folder on system......then Kextytility..restart.....

everything works..... excep sleep (Don't care!), and video, even sound volume keys work like charm+ Bluetooth TOO.....BUT the main problem is.....

SYSTEM PROFILE SHOWS 2 videocards..... the same as for others users....

in bois there is only one 330M videocard is shown, no options to anything to disable.........when I tried to upgrade to 10.6.5 in lastminute it is crashing...and i managet to boot it after started with -x -v and then after restart it booted up BUT screen had overresolution effect..........but if hardly look then is withable cursor....I will try to switch on remote conection and try again.....to reboot.............and check what is possible to see...

But MAYBE there is HOPE that somebody already managed to find a workaround for this video card problem..?????

And Damn DDDell...I did't expected that they will do something that......nasty.....

I specially ordered this laptop for use in osx.

Thank You!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey people,

I have a vostro 3500 running 10.6.6 with everything working apart from my WiFi and my Battery detection (if i delete my DSDT my battery is detected, but my sound, USB and trackpad stop working).

I have learned to live with those problems however I am wandering if I am the only one with a problem with their DVD drive being detected in OS X?

Sometimes when I have booted OS X, it is detected and is working without any problems, however, after 5-10 minutes without using it, it disappears and isnt detected under System Profiler or under Finder.

I have tried various drivers (JMicronATA.kext, different versions of IOATAFamily.kext)

Can anyone with a fully working DVD drive attach their SATA/AHCI drivers or tell me what I havent done correctly/ not done at all?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey people,

I have a vostro 3500 running 10.6.6 with everything working apart from my WiFi and my Battery detection (if i delete my DSDT my battery is detected, but my sound, USB and trackpad stop working).

I have learned to live with those problems however I am wandering if I am the only one with a problem with their DVD drive being detected in OS X?

Sometimes when I have booted OS X, it is detected and is working without any problems, however, after 5-10 minutes without using it, it disappears and isnt detected under System Profiler or under Finder.

I have tried various drivers (JMicronATA.kext, different versions of IOATAFamily.kext)

Can anyone with a fully working DVD drive attach their SATA/AHCI drivers or tell me what I havent done correctly/ not done at all?

Thanks!

Hi there,

You means Vostro 3500 with GT310M graphic card works with Snow Leopard?. What's your method of installation?.

I just want to confirm before buying this laptop cause I don't want 17.3" which is too big for me.

Thanks.

Hi Noom,

Don't buy for OSX (unless you just want to try it alongside windows and don't mind crappy graphics and difficult update methods) because every Vostro sold since August 2010 does not have full graphics support. You will be dissappointed. Instead buy something that does not use Nvidia graphics switching.

So far there is no magic solution for the more recent Vostro 3xxx series.

Hi MiniHack,

Thanks for your suggestion. What do you mean buy something that doesn't use Nvidia graphics switching?.

You mean vostro 3500 uses Nvidia and Intel HD switchable graphic card and it didn't work on snow leopard?

Could you please give me some good laptop which works on SL?. either Nvidia or ATI will find for me. I'm not a gamer.

for example, Toshiba A660-BT2G25, or Asus with GT425M, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hi MiniHack,

Thanks for your suggestion. What do you mean buy something that doesn't use Nvidia graphics switching?.

You mean vostro 3500 uses Nvidia and Intel HD switchable graphic card and it didn't work on snow leopard?

Could you please give me some good laptop which works on SL?. either Nvidia or ATI will find for me. I'm not a gamer.

for example, Toshiba A660-BT2G25, or Asus with GT425M, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah unfortunately the new updated versions of the Dell Vostro 3xxx models have switching enabled between Intel and nVidia, this is unsupported in osx so you'll end up running on Intel graphics, which also isnt fully supported in osx.

Unless you can get a second hand vostro 3xxx which definately has just nVidia, you will have a massive difficulty getting the new vostros to work.

Yeah unfortunately the new updated versions of the Dell Vostro 3xxx models have switching enabled between Intel and nVidia, this is unsupported in osx so you'll end up running on Intel graphics, which also isnt fully supported in osx.

Unless you can get a second hand vostro 3xxx which definately has just nVidia, you will have a massive difficulty getting the new vostros to work.

Hi Spo0onMann,

Thanks for your answers. However, how do I check if vostro 3500 has just only nVidia card?.

If I found one on ebay, how do the seller know about that or how do they know if that model was built before Dell has switchable card?.

So, the vostro 3700 kindly compatible with OSX no matter what issue date. Am I correct?.

Anyway, I found Toshiba Satellite A665-s5181 with 512 GT 310M but I'm not sure if this is the same as Vostro 3500. I means switchable graphic card.

How about IdeaPad Z560 Laptop - 091448U, GT 310M 1GB. Is this unit work?.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to 10.6.7 (10J858) with delta. Everything is ok.

Geekbench x64 = 4480

I have a feeling that OS is raping my harddrive. I hear it works all the time

Reverted to 850, HDD back to normal, Geekbench x64 = 4730

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Vostro 3300 with Geforce 310M. [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + Retail 10.6.3 work perfectly. Of course the standard Wifi and Sleep issues apply.

Great thread so far! Thanks for all the hard work and information.

Okay,

I had 3GB memory in my Vostro 3500 and decided to max it out. So I went to Crucial, got 2 sticks of 4gb that they say is compatible, installed it and.......

After getting to the desktop for a couple of seconds all goes black (fans still running).

The memory works from a Linux pendrive boot but not OSX.

I tried setting maxmem=4096 just to see if it could stay stable after boot, but got the same results. Just filling one of the dual channel slots with 4gb gives the same results too.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

More details:

Obviously with 8GB Ram I want to run the 64-bit Kernel. Here's the deal - 64-bit Kernel the above symptoms happen every time. However, if I use arch=i386 the desktop loads and stays stable, BUT brightness is always on max (this is handled by device-property string plus DSDT edit normally and in all other circumstances works fine in 64 or 32 bit mode with 3GB) AND battery is not recognised (I am using AppleACPIBatterymanager.kext which works perfectly in 32 and 64 bit mode with 3GB).

Okay, so this has got me beaten for the moment.

Help anyone?

I'm not quite sure, but it might be due do the memory in your system being over the officially supported for the system your smbios is set to.

What model number is your smbios set to? (e.g: MacBookPro6,1)

• 1 month later...
Look at post 281.

Need to use latest sleepenabler.kext for your system (so look for sleepenabler for 10.6.5).

It is NOT proper sleep though and personally I don't use it.

minihack forgive, I would create the speedstep on my HP M430 i5-chip, I saw that you've done, I can help and explain the steps?

Thanks

Has there been any changes? I am considering this laptop. How does the sleep work on here? Not at all, or to what extent? And I see where speedstep doesn't work. Does that mean the fan is on high all the time? Or what?

Thanks.

EDIT: And this will work with an i3 and intel hd graphics, right?