Windows Vista

Swad

653 posts in this topic

...or, maybe you could do us all a favor and learn what comprehension is all about. When we said 'not true' it was in direct reference to when you were trying to say that vista and OS X were the same. If you would have been honest with everyone here you would have also posted the very next sentence which read "OS X has the same general licensing scheme as windows XP and other windows programs.". Oh well, at least you tried. Perhaps being a politician is in your future, but let's not jump ahead of ourselves just yet. Let's wait to see what that optometrist says first ;):blink:

Yeah, I said OS X is licensed. And you said, "Not true". How clear can this get? Even other people had to correct you, lmfao.

It's like me saying, "Ice Cream tastes bad, but it tastes good." How many people are going to take you seriously after such a comment? Usually Apple fanboys make some sense, but I guess you're an exception. :P

Maybe you're a hypocrite? Or maybe your memory is that of a goldfish?

Eh, Don't you work for a PC shop? I thought it took some intelligence to get your A+ Certification... or in your case, apparently you can win one in a crackerjack box.

PS. omg wow! You're able to use a dictionary. High five!

Edit: Again, do you even own a Mac?

I said OS X is licensed. And you said, "Not true". How clear can this get?

The trick is to read the sentences in progression, one after another. If you stop in the middle of a paragraph (as you seem to make a habit of) you could lose the entire meaning of what the person is saying. This should have been taught to you in the first of second grade. Looks like 'No child left behind" isn't working. LOL :)

Did anybody else find Nvida and ATi's response odd? First, why did it take both companies so long to get *good* drivers out the door for Vista? ...This is a huge red flag.

Because Vista is a new platformed, designed around DX10. Which the added dx10 feature in dx10 cards is one thing to try to get around in Vista, and the lack of DX10 in DX9 cards. What both ATI and Nvidia basically did with early drivers is take XP drivers, and throw a vista approved mark on it.

Plus, ATI/AMD just can't get their {censored} together....=[

ATi and NVidia have never really been good for drivers, ever, there's always been problems. I can remember problems way back with my MX440 and before my 9700Pro. Also, in an interview with one of the popular hardware sites an NVidia guy was asked if WDDM drivers were way harder and he said no, simply different.

if those stuck with vista are lucky - microsoft will 'finally' be releasing vista SP1 in June/July '08 (a full year and a half after vista was released). And some say that vista SP1 won't actually be released until 2009 :( As you've already admitted, Apple released its first update in just two short weeks! Maybe it's because Apple cares more about its OS, or maybe it's because Leopard just doesn't have as many bugs to fix. Whatever the reason it's clear that vista is much more screwed up then even windows ME was :( Based on current test versions, vista SP1 will be over 1GB when uncompressed.

Hmm, you're right MS hasn't released any updates for Vista. Nope, no updates at all, they don't come until SP1 (Sarcasm). I'd like to nominate you for the 'I don't know what the {censored} I'm talking about' award for 12/24/07. You're sitting here implying that Apple published updates for Leopard just two weeks after release-- while MS will wait a year and a half after RTM before publishing updates! Although you claim to work with Vista, I really doubt that now. If you had used Vista at all you'd probably be commenting on the massive, almost myriad amounts of updates available for RTM Vista through Windows Update.

So here's the real question, is it vista SP1, OR is it Windows XP Service Pack 4? Considering that a lot of people refer to vista as "Windows XP Service Pack 3 with eye candy" :P

Who has said that? Although Windows Vista is NT based like XP, it is still very different. Really, it's pretty apparent that you know little about Windows Vista.

If you had used Vista at all you'd probably be commenting on the massive, almost myriad amounts of updates available for RTM Vista through Windows Update.

LOL :D Too bad for you that you don't understand or comprehend the basic concept that system updates, security updates, device driver updates, bug fixes, etc., etc... are all different things. You're grasping at straws. If what you said had any merit to it, then microsoft wouldn't even have a need to come out with SP1 now would they? DOH! I mean after all, they've already put out a 'massive , almost myriad amount of updates' already - so SP1 would just be redundant right? :wallbash: That's funny, most techs think of SP1 as being many things, but never overkill :P Apparently hotshot, also according to you microsoft just wasted their precious time developing and detailing this 47 page document that describes SP1 bug fixes and says more may be added soon. But that's OK because according to you erei33, all of these essential vista bug fixes are already covered in the 'massive , almost myriad amount of updates' available already. Oh by the way, just so we're both on the same page - SP stands for Service Pack, not Senseless Phenomenon. LOL :help:

If those stuck with vista are lucky - microsoft will 'finally' be releasing vista SP1 in June/July '08 (a full year and a half after vista was released). And some say that vista SP1 won't actually be released until 2009 As you've already admitted, Apple released its first update in just two short weeks!
You're sitting here implying that Apple published updates for Leopard just two weeks after release-- while MS will wait a year and a half after RTM before publishing updates! Although you claim to work with Vista, I really doubt that now. If you had used Vista at all you'd probably be commenting on the massive, almost myriad amounts of updates available for RTM Vista through Windows Update

If what you said had any merit to it, then microsoft wouldn't even have a need to come out with SP1 now would they? DOH! I mean after all, they've already put out a 'massive , almost myriad amount of updates' already - so SP1 would just be redundant right? :(

You talked about how Apple users were graced by the 10.5.1 update just two weeks in after the release of Leopard. You then mentioned how Windows Vista users are still waiting for service pack 1 to be released, implying that Mac (and Hackintosh ;) ) users got updates while Windows users didn't. I challenge your claims and reference the numerous updates available for Vista. Because of this:

system updates, security updates, device driver updates, bug fixes, etc., etc... are all different things.

Oh yes, noting that Windows users have indeed received updates from Microsoft makes me know nothing about the nature of updates.

I don't know if you realize this: but 10.5.X≠ Vista service pack X. A service pack is of much greater magnitude than a third digit update from Apple. When one refers to a Vista installation with service pack 1 installed, they refer to all of the updates released between RTM-SP1 and the new updates/fixes/features/whateveryou'dlike introduced with SP1.

Mind you, 10.5.X is also not equal to one particular update for Windows. I would say that the Windows equivalent of a third digit update from Apple is one month or so of Vista updates.

I'm just trying to provide some clarification here, maybe now you'll better understand where I'm coming from.

Fun fact to add what erei33 has been saying: a fair few patches that will be available in SP1 are already out, so the whole "Users are waiting for SP1" is nowhere near as bad as you (Not you, erei33) make it sound, in that regard and in the other regards you're pushing you're just being silly.

Speaking of morons, what moron would pay $450.00 for a badly written operating system like vista? :P Oh that's right, a microsoft fanboy :P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116202

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832110024

Purchasing Vista Ultimate is pretty ridiculous at the moment and by the way, Ultimate isn't the only version and no matter how often you pretend it is, it doesn't make it so. Oh, and stop saying fanboy, it simply makes you look desperate and pathetic, the only possible way you could be any worse is if you started saying "Windoze" or something similar -- and no, purposefully doing so in your next post won't be amusing, it will simply make you delive deeper into the 2 adjectives I just used.

Do you have proof it's badly written?

LOL, you just like to keep walking in deep do-do don't you? :D Now you're trying to compare the bottom of the line OEM 'Home' version of vista, with the top of the line RETAIL version of Leopard? ;) That's a bit disingenuous to say the least. Oh and we only paid 79.00 for our RETAIL copy of Leopard so you're pricing is a bit off, much like your so-called facts. Yes we're all fully aware that Leopard has only one version, one version that is the equivalent in status to the top of the line version of vista, you know, the version that has ALL of the features :santa: So what you're essentially saying is that for 109.00 you can either buy the lowly OEM home version of vista, or the version of Leopard that contains ALL of the features. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my, it looks like vista isn't a very good value now does it Toto? THANK YOU for pointing that out to all of us robotskip. Don't forget to wipe the do-do off of your shoes :P
Purchasing Vista Ultimate is pretty ridiculous
Some would say the same thing about any version of vista ;)
Ultimate isn't the only version
You have no idea just how HAPPY I am that you brought this point up. Let's look at all of the many umpteen multitudes of vista, shall we? versionsos.jpgLike I said robotskip, you just like to keep walking in deep do-do don't you :blink: As a consumer that could get rather confusing trying to pick out the 'right' version of vista, now couldn't it? On the other hand Leopard has but ONE version, and it has ALL the top features, all the cool buttons and bells, at one low price. According to microsoft, Vista's version that has all the features cost $450.00!!! Wow, for a few bucks more a consumer could get a Mac Mini which includes Leopard, Gigabit Ethernet, iPhoto, iDVD, iWeb, iMovie, Front Row, GarageBand, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, and a nifty little remote control :D As a consumer I gotta tell ya, that's not a hard choice to make, perhaps that's why Apples market share has been continuously growing (hint, hint) ;) Hey robotskip, got any more cans of worms you want to open up?
implying that Mac (and Hackintosh ;) ) users got updates while Windows users didn't.
No, I was implying that Apple takes care of their OS for their customers, while microsoft WAITS and tries to do everything all at once - years later. Here's a perfect example; Leopard used to have this nasty bug where it wouldn't remember your mail password, so everyday you'd have to keep typing it in over and over again for each and every mail account that you had. Many people have more than one e-mail account so this bug was a royal pain in the butt to say the least. It took Apple all of 3 weeks to fix it. Now if that were microsoft they'd wait and just include it in their SP, while customers would be waiting and being inconvenienced. Seriously, for most customers having to wait a year and a half for a service pack is just too damn long. Microsoft tends to like to blow their load all at once, while Apple tends to do it in bite sized pieces. As a consumer many people prefer the way that Apple handles major updates. Microsoft does some things better than Apple, but the way they handle their major updates isn't one of them.
A service pack is of much greater magnitude than a third digit update from Apple.
As pointed out above, that's a corporate decision. Microsoft could handle updates the same way that Apple does if they wanted to, they just don't want to. Meanwhile the windows customer is being inconvenienced to say the least.
I'm just trying to provide some clarification here
And I appreciate that. Clarification is always a good thing :)

That's right, in order to compare apples with apples (no pun intended) you'd have to compare ultimate with Leopard (both retail versions). Using newegg as a base you'd be paying 320.00 for ultimate VS. 110.00 for Leopard. In other words, windows costs 3 TIMES MORE! :)

Can I hear a AMEN? :D

PS-don't forget to check out the ratings of each OS while you're at newegg. Over half gave Leopard 5 stars. Windows received over half too, but it was for being LESS than 5 stars :P

That's right, in order to compare apples with apples (no pun intended) you'd have to compare ultimate with Leopard (both retail versions). Using newegg as a base you'd be paying 320.00 for ultimate VS. 110.00 for Leopard. In other words, windows costs 3 TIMES MORE! :blink:

Funny, when I priced it, it was much less. Here too.

Price for Vista on a previous computer since windows xp was released: $169.99

Price for OS X with purchasing every upgrade previously:

10.2 upgrade $129.00

10.3 upgrade $129.00

10.4 upgrade $129.00

10.5 upgrade $109.00

Total: $496.00

Now here's the reasoning why. Since windows xp and os x's debut as released operating systems, there have been OS upgrades. With OS X there have been a total of 4 new versions. With Windows, there has been one. So while you claim OS X is cheaper now, if you count the last 6 years, it's actually more expensive. Now when you buy a version of windows, there is generally 3 versions you can get. A full retail version, an upgrade version, and an oem version. All will work just fine. But since in order to buy OS X and run it legally, you have to have a version on your mac already that you plan to upgrade to, hence in this case the upgrade or oem version is appropriate to use of windows to compare it to. In other words, every version of OS X sold is considered to be an upgrade or oem version, never full version. You can ignore the oem version all you want, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist and that I can't use it. It's available to me, therefore I can use it.

But lets compare feature wise. Why is ultimate or the business version of windows vista required for business? Because it has remote access and group policies for integration with active directory. If you want that with leopard or any version of os x, it's gonna cost ya extra. Here's some solutions that you can get. The last one was the apple remote desktop package, which also adds in the ability to install apps and updates remotely. Of course all these cost extra. But this is what ultimate provides. If you don't need all this, then vista home premium is just fine for you. And cheaper at only $109.99. Show me a feature in ultimate that you need compared to home premium. I will name one that I do want in home premium, which I think Microsoft is stupid not to enable, is shadow copy aka previous version. Come on Microsoft, enable it. But go ahead and name another one that it should be providing that is in ultimate that isn't in home premium for a home user. If you can't, then comparing leopard to home premium is just fine for most home users.

I also want to know where you can buy leopard for $79 only. Please do tell.

Can I hear a AMEN? :D

PS-don't forget to check out the ratings of each OS while you're at newegg. Over half gave Leopard 5 stars. Windows received over half too, but it was for being LESS than 5 stars :P

Please stop right their. All I can picture right now is a 13 year old kid whose living in their parents basement who doesn't get out much. Makes me feel sorry for you. You are NOT a preacher. Stop acting like you are. And declaring you won, is like the Roman's conquering a land, you sneaking in and whispering you won while they are all asleep. You don't win an argument by declaring yourself the winner before you hear the argument against it. You're about as obvious as a politician now as you're trying to spin your previous answers so you don't look like a jack ass. It doesn't work. You may try to be a smart ass, but you need to be smart first.

I will say a few more things though. That leopard 10.5.1 was to fix a major data loss bug mainly, and other small fixes, but mainly this. I even included a link on how to replicate it. You chose to ignore it though I see, typical. It was such a simple bug too. Move any data from one storage device to another, if you pull the plug or lose the connection to the storage device while the move is happening, you lose any data that wasn't moved. How did this get past Q&A? Either they never tested for this bug. Or were aware of it and leopard had to be out on time no matter what. Some people claim apple never rushes software out the door but if they knew about this bug, then obviously they rushed leopard out.

You claimed Microsoft waits a whole year and a half to release sp1 for windows vista, yet you ignore the fact that there has been updates out for windows vista already through windows update. You obviously have no idea what a service pack is supposed to do. It's supposed to include all the updates that were released, and some fixes that aren't needed to be applied yet and can wait for a service pack. So no we're not waiting for updates for windows vista at all. Plus Microsoft releases updates monthly as they are needed. Where is OS X's monthly updates? None here. They apparently do their updates in .1 version updates. But it's not on a regularly scheduled process, unlike windows, which corporations like. Apple just lets the updates loose without notifying anyone of when they should expect updates regularly.

As for the reason why windows vista seems slower. The graphics and audio subsystems are now run in user mode. The result of this is that it is slower, but not noticeably. Least not to me. But the result is also that it is more stable. That glitch where the display has recovered, normally would have been a BSOD. But because it is run in user mode instead of kernel mode, that no longer occurs. You do want it to be more stable right? And mostly the graphics drivers from nvidia and ati problems have been ironed out. It is a new kernel after all. And yes I do game on Vista. And for anyone that is gonna quote Peter Gutmann for criticizing windows vista, his claims have mostly been defeated with real world use and other testimonies. He even admitted that he didn't even run windows vista to write his famous paper. It's all theory.

Can you watch bluray or hddvd on leopard? Nope. Only on Windows Vista. I also like that Windows is the only OS to have a smp aware h.264 codec that works for all levels. There isn't one available for os x. Just the limited one that quicktime includes.

Now here is my proper post, please respond to this as I was having connection problems then.

The only funny part is that as an adult you still can't grasp the concept of what it means to compare apples to apples.

Here, maybe this will help ;)

To bad you spent all that time writing that nice post and none of it means jack :D

Please don't mix up opinion and fact. Yours is all opinion it seems since you've shown no facts what so ever.

Well you've proven that don't understand the elementary concept of comparing apples to apples, so why should we expect you to understand what a 'fact' is? LOL :D

Now you're a true politician. Never answering direct questions, instead you come up with some witty remark. I feel sorry for you. Guess you don't win many debates. Haven't you been humiliated enough on here?