Windows Vista

Swad

653 posts in this topic

I seemed to have read something about Microsoft Windows making up 90% of the OS market.

Yeah, maybe a while back -_-

According to the latest release of Evans Data Corp’ North American Development Survey, Windows dominance on the client is cracking. This report reveals that targeting of the Windows OS has declined by 12 percent from a year ago, continuing a two-year gradual decline. At present, 64.8 percent of North American developers are targeting some version of Windows, compared to 74 percent last year. What’s more, this is expected to drop another 2 percent in the coming year. link

A common error in comparing market share numbers is forgetting that Apple sells both the hardware and software. Comparing Apple's PC market share with the two market leaders, Dell and the merged HP/Compaq, ignores the fact that while Dell and HP each sold ten times as many PCs as Apple, they had to pay Microsoft for an operating system on every sale.

FUD flingers often wallow in market share numbers to highlight the suggestion that Apple's 2.2% compares to a 97.8% share by Microsoft in operating system market share. That conveys the opposite false impression, because Microsoft makes no money at all from PC hardware profits. Looking at the PC market as a combination of two different products, software and hardware, only gives Apple half the credit for their sales. link

Sorry to wake you up, you can go back to sleep now. LOL ;)

Seems to be doing the job for most people

Yeah, that's why when people actually compare the two operating systems they usually switch over to Macs, and they've been doing that since the Intel minis were introduced. Most people are ignorant about operating systems. Apples taking away all of their old excuses not to switch, like "What will I do with all of my windows software" and "I thought Macs cost more than PC's"... Now people know that they don't have to worry about any of that. Anyway, didn't mean to wake you up. You grab onto that straw real tight now :blink::P

Since I don't know you very well, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that rather than choosing to be deliberately decietful, you don't quite understand the information you just presented me with.

First of you, let me present you with figures from July 2007 that prove beyond doubt that Microsoft Windows is the dominant consumer operating system in the market. According to OneStat Analytics, Microsoft Windows currenty accounts for 96.72% of operating system use globally, compared to 2.70% for Macintosh, and 0.35% for Linux. Of the 96.72% of users who run Microsoft Windows, 87.36% use Windows XP, 3.99% use Windows 2000, and 3.23% use Windows Vista, and a combined 2.03% still run Windows 98 or Windows Me.

Now, let me address the painful irrelevance of your statistics.

According to the latest release of Evans Data Corp’ North American Development Survey, Windows dominance on the client is cracking. This report reveals that targeting of the Windows OS has declined by 12 percent from a year ago, continuing a two-year gradual decline. At present, 64.8 percent of North American developers are targeting some version of Windows, compared to 74 percent last year. What’s more, this is expected to drop another 2 percent in the coming year. link

Although I couldn't find that quote on the webpage you linked it to, I should point out that whether or not developers choose to target the Microsoft Windows platform for their products is completely and utterly irrelevant, at least a this point in time, to a debate concerning the market share of Windows Operating systems. Whether EA Games for example targets the Windows platform for development does not have an immediate impact on Microsoft's market share at this point in time. Also, the aforementioned information relates to developer targeting of the OS, not marketshare, therefore, the information you provided is irrelevant.

A common error in comparing market share numbers is forgetting that Apple sells both the hardware and software. Comparing Apple's PC market share with the two market leaders, Dell and the merged HP/Compaq, ignores the fact that while Dell and HP each sold ten times as many PCs as Apple, they had to pay Microsoft for an operating system on every sale.

FUD flingers often wallow in market share numbers to highlight the suggestion that Apple's 2.2% compares to a 97.8% share by Microsoft in operating system market share. That conveys the opposite false impression, because Microsoft makes no money at all from PC hardware profits. Looking at the PC market as a combination of two different products, software and hardware, only gives Apple half the credit for their sales. link

Again, I am astounded by your ability to present completely irrelevant statistics. In a debate concerning the number of PCs, and thus the number of users who run Microsoft Windows, it is of absolutely no consequence, in terms of figures, whether Microsoft is making money from such distributions or not. Whether Microsoft makes $100,000,000 dollars from the versions of its products it bundles with OEM PCs, or whether it makes $0 dollars, does not change the fact that 96.72% of computers worldwide run Microsoft Windows operating systems...PERIOD.

Yeah, that's why when people actually compare the two operating systems they usually switch over to Macs, and they've been doing that since the Intel minis were introduced. Most people are ignorant about operating systems. Apples taking away all of their old excuses not to switch, like "What will I do with all of my windows software" and "I thought Macs cost more than PC's"... Now people know that they don't have to worry about any of that. Anyway, didn't mean to wake you up. You grab onto that straw real tight now :):tomato:

Again, completely and utterly, 100% irrelevent to the topic at hand. Yes, the majority of consumers are completely ignorant about operating systems. Yes, the vast majority of them could not care less whether they ran Microsoft Windows or Macintosh OS, and yes, Mac OS X might be the superior product (I actually agree), but that does not change the simple, incontravertable fact that for most people, Microsoft Windows satisfies their computing needs.

I don't mean to be presumptuous in a forum I have only recently joined, but god, you need to take a step back and look at the facts objectively before coming off all high and mighty spouting statistics which mean nothing, and only further my argument.

Sorry to wake you up. You can go back to sleep now...

"I thought Macs cost more than PC's"... Now people know that they don't have to worry about any of that.

For what you're paying for with a Mac, compared to what you can buy for the same price of the base mac mini, it is in my tastes.>_>

Thank you mhbas0001.

Every once and a while, MyMac8MyPC gets out without his leash.

I think what's difficult for many of us to realize is that a vast majority of the population just don't care about their OS. It's more difficult for us to understand, because we obviously care enough about our computing experience to go as far as to install OS X on normal PCs. Experiment with Linux...etc.

20 years later, I think we'll have a true competition between MS and Apple and Linux.

What keeps MS going, is our parents generation. I mean, really. They don't understand the mechanics behind the computer, they just want to use it. The majority of teens and 20-somethings have been growing up with this technology, and aren't afraid to experiment with it. I know this is a large generalization, but can you see what I'm getting at?

Give it 10-15 years, and we'll really see the younger generation that grew up with the cable modem internet era start to sway the monopoly of MS

Well said Ayanami.

I think you're spot on in saying that Microsoft's market share will begin to shrink over the next few decades, especially as new generation of computer literate users begins to develop, unless of course it can come up with something truly inspiring.

Until then, I'll continue to use both my Mac and Windows-based systems. Both have their individual pros and cons, but I've never had any real problem with either of them.

Good job mhbas0001, you did my work for me :( You guys are right, the majority of users don't care what OS they are using. Windows, OS X, and Linux are all terrific for doing general tasks. But as far as MS's market share shrinking I don't necessarily see it. Sure, Vista is good but not nearly as good as it should have been. But Microsoft is not stupid, they will adapt and the business users will adopt Microsoft's next generation technologies. For example look at Windows Server 2008, it is fantastic! It is exceedingly stable and secure, and is providing great advancements over Server 2003. The Server market is changing, Windows is gaining market share. Or another example of MS adapting would be the Xbox. The 360 is beating it's direct competitor, the PS3. The 360 is even a strong alternative to the 250$ Wii.

(Of course a counter-example of MS adapting is the Zune. Mind you the second generation Zunes are great!)

According to OneStat Analytics...

Wow if you believe that, I've got a Humvee that gets over 1,000 miles per gallon and just because I like you I'll give you first dibs on it... the ashtrays haven't even been used yet.

As Mark Twain would say, there are 3 kinds of liars; liars, damn liars and statistics. You should learn how to shave with Occam’s razor. Surly you can find a more reputable source than 'OneStat Analytics' that provides web analytics, which has NOTHING to do with install base - DOH! :D;) From their own website "OneStat.com provider of web analytics, website monitoring, server monitoring, free hit counter and seo, search engine optimization keyword ranking software." We'll let this one slid since you're obviously still half awake. LOL :D I'm not debating whether windows has a larger slice of the pie, just your percentages.

does not change the fact that 96.72% of computers worldwide run Microsoft Windows operating systems...PERIOD.

Comma... question mark ;)

Where are you getting these mystical figures from and how are they actually tracking what people are actually USING? ;) For example, NPD tracks point of sales BUT they do not include any online, wal-mart or Apple store sales into their figures. How something is tracked is the most important part when discussing percentages.

When people buy a new PC they are not given an actual choice as to which platform they wish to use. Instead they are force-fed a copy of windows. Whether or not they use that copy of windows remains to be seen, but these phantom sales figures still add to MS's inflated shares. Many people buy a PC and prefer to install and use Linux. Still others (like many here) install OS X and use it, so just because a PC was sold with a OEM copy of windows (which usually only cost the manufacture 30.00) doesn't mean that those PC's are using 'windows' as you are insinuating. What this means is that just because MS claims to have a 90% share does NOT necessarily mean that it translates to what users are actually using as their main OS. MS has already been sited for including copies of windows that are just sitting on store shelves which no one has purchased or used yet, just to inflate their sales figures.

In fact, Microsoft only earns a tiny fraction of its revenues from sales to consumers; the majority of its revenues do not result from buyers choosing a Microsoft product, but from corporations and individuals buying a PC and being instantly bound in a End User License Agreement. link

Plus many people that own Macs have been forced to go out and buy a copy of windows just so that they can use one or two programs on their Mac via boot camp - but this DOESN'T mean that those copies of windows are being used as their MAIN operating system. Far from it, generally speaking when someone buys a Mac they usually prefer to use OS X as their main operating system. No one buys a Mac just for the hardware, they buy as a 'package' deal with OS X and iLife software included in the mix. When someone buys a PC, windows is more of a OEM tax that they are forced to pay than anything. Still others that buy a Mac use both windows and OS X equally, so how would you include them in the totals? The point is that just because a copy of windows is sitting on a store shelf, or that someone buys a PC, or that someone with a Mac buys a copy of windows - DOESN'T mean that it's what those customers prefer to use. You can't get those figures from market share alone.

I don't mean to be presumptuous but god, you need to take a step back and look at the facts objectively before coming off all high and mighty spouting statistics which mean nothing, and only further my argument.

Microsoft is owned by shareholders, just like every other publicly held company. Anyone who says Microsoft has lots of money to burn hasn't ever met angry shareholders.

Microsoft's shares are themselves competing in a free market: the stock market. If Microsoft doesn't continue to create new markets and find new revenues, its investors will pull out to invest in companies who can.

When that happens, Microsoft’s valuation will sag. There are plenty of companies with glorious pasts who suddenly lost their stock valuation after a series of badly executed strategies. The mid-90's Apple is a good example.

After two decades of brilliant success, Apple's valuation dropped into the toilet in the mid 90's when the company failed to deliver progress and demonstrated an inability to find new markets and new sources of revenue.

The tech industry is full of one-time leaders who fell down dead. Anyone who thinks Microsoft is immune to failure is simply choosing to not pay attention to reality.

Anyone who believes that microsoft will always stay number one is completely ignorant about how the market works. General Motors is a good example that comes to mind ;)

The majority of users don't care what OS they are using.

Really? Then why are so many people paying good money and switching to Macs, instead of keeping their PC's and switching to a free copy of Linux? Apparently many people DO care what OS they use.

God MyMac8MyPC, you truly are incredibly daft. Again your knack for providing completely irrelevent information, and for raising completely irrelevent points of discussion truly is unsurpassed. Please take a moment to read back through your most recent post, and identify just one sentence that poses any relevance to a debate concerning market share.

For the record, I like Mac products, I own a Macbook Pro, and I absolutely adore Mac OS. But I'm not stupid enough to think that the world revolves around Apple, and I'm sensible enough to recognise that Microsoft products also have their advantages.

That all said, I won't be baited into continuing this pointless argument. I know a lost cause when I see one, and it would be a waste of my time and effort to continue flogging this dead horse. There is just no reasoning with fantatical zealots like you who are incapable of impartiality. You use every chance you can get to change the topic because, in your mind, everything points to Mac's superiority. You will only ever see what you want to see, and will always overlook what's actually there.

Really? Then why are so many people paying good money and switching to Macs, instead of keeping their PC's and switching to a free copy of Linux? Apparently many people DO care what OS they use.

In todays day and age, most people in 'developed' countries own a computer. Most of these people use their computer for internet, e-mail, and staying in touch. All was saying is that a large amount of people don't care which OS they use, as long as their computer works. Windows works. OS X works. Linux works.

I'm not going to continue to argue either; MyMac8MyPC you are always in an Anti-Windows, Pro-Mac argument. If people want to pay a premium on non upgradable, sup-par (in terms of price to performance) hardware thats fine with me.

you truly are incredibly daft. Again your knack for providing completely irrelevent information, and for raising completely irrelevent points of discussion truly is unsurpassed.

Other than being immature, doing a lot of side stepping and repeatedly resorting to name calling you have yet to back up anything that you've said with any credible sources. YOU made a statement which implied that 90% of people prefer to use windows. Now, other than your own biased opinion can you actually back that up with credible sources? You also claimed that Macs had only a 2.7% market share, which most people on this forum know is completely false. Maybe you think these things because you got your so-called 'facts' from a place that studies the Internet, and not actual customer prefered OS usage. Not only can you not back up your statement with credible facts, but you can't even list one company that tracks actual prefered OS usage. So leave if you want, but just don't go running around making generalized untrue statements.

For the record, I like Mac products, I own a Macbook Pro, and I absolutely adore Mac OS.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, this isn't about what you or I like or own, this is about what people prefer to use when given a choice. Just because a PC is sold doesn't necessarily mean that they're using windows on it, so your "90% of people prefer windows" remark is nothing but hearsay the likes of which makes good urban legends. Oh and for the record I love Microsoft hardware, so all of your 'fantatical zealots' howling-at-the-moon BS is pointless :)

In todays day and age, most people in 'developed' countries own a computer. Most of these people use their computer for internet, e-mail, and staying in touch. All was saying is that a large amount of people don't care which OS they use, as long as their computer works.

The question wasn't IF people use computers in developed countries, the question was if they don't care about which operating system they use (which is your stance) then why are so many people paying good money and switching to Macs, instead of just keeping their PC's and switching to a free copy of Linux? I bring this up only because in the last 2 - 3 years I've seen a dramatic shift that points toward nothing but the contrary to your statement. People do care what operating system they use WHEN they are given a choice. Now if you would have said that most people aren't educated in operating systems so they stick with what's familiar, that would have been different.

Ok, that's it. You're an idiot, because you've managed to completely misread my entire argument. At no point in time did I ever state that 90% of people preferred to use Microsoft Windows. NOT ONCE did I ever make that statement, or even insinuate that that was the case. What I did say, was that Microsoft Windows dominated the operating system market. FACT. What I did say was that the majority of computer users run Microsoft Windows. FACT. What I also said, was that Microsoft Windows does what most people want out of an operating system. FACT.

By the way:

IF people use computers in developed countries, the question was if they don't care about which operating system they use (which is your stance) then why are so many people paying good money and switching to Macs, instead of just keeping their PC's and switching to a free copy of Linux?

It's absolutely quite simple, if you have the capacity to realise what are basic facts. MOST PEOPLE DO NOT BOTHER TO CHANGE THEIR OPERATING SYSTEM. P-E-R-I-O-D. If "so many people are switching to Macs" isn't subjective, biased, and impossible to substantiate, then I don't know what it is.

Also, I wouldn't be questioning the source of other people's information if I were you. OneStat analytics is a far more reliable source of os statistics than, "roughlydrafted.com"

Not only are you unable to read a simple statement, but you're also argumentative, immature, closed-minded, and incredibly ignorant.

Get a clue you mendacious hypocrite.

At no point in time did I ever state that 90% of people preferred to use Microsoft Windows. NOT ONCE did I ever make that statement, or even insinuate that that was the case.

You're right you didn't insinuate it just once, you did it twice. My bad;

I seemed to have read something about Microsoft Windows making up 90% of the OS market. Seems to be doing the job for most people...

that does not change the simple, incontravertable fact that for most people, Microsoft Windows satisfies their computing needs.

And what's funniest of all is that now you're trying to backpedal, and you've yet to back up your original statement. The sadest part about all of your posts is that when you subtract all of your name calling, unsubstantiated theories, and all of your childish insulting rants, you really didn't say much of anything in your posts at all. Just a lot of rhetoric, false dilemma and hearsay. Oh and by the way, saying that most people don't bother to change their operating system, and saying that most people don't care about their operating system, are TWO completely different things. You're good at posting a lot of 'ad hominem' I'll give you that, but then any troll can do that and you still haven't posted a link to your 'OneStat Analytics' so-called statistics (not that it matters since it's wrong to begin with). Now since you want to respond for erei33, be a nice boy and show us some credible proof that people don't care about what operating system they use, or just be a 12 year old and go off on one of your childish rants again... up to you :)

You know, I was actually going to let this go, but I can't stand the thought of people like you thinking that you've triumphed.

And what's funniest of all is that now you're trying to backpedal, and you've yet to back up your original statement. The sadest part about all of your posts is that when you subtract all of your name calling, unsubstantiated theories, and all of your childish insulting rants, you really didn't say much of anything in your posts at all. Just a lot of rhetoric, false dilemma and hearsay. Oh and by the way, saying that most people don't bother to change their operating system, and saying that most people don't care about their operating system, are TWO completely different things. You're good at posting a lot of 'ad hominem' I'll give you that, but then any troll can do that and you still haven't posted a link to your 'OneStat Analytics' so-called statistics (not that it matters since it's wrong to begin with). Now since you want to respond for erei33, be a nice boy and show us some credible proof that people don't care about what operating system they use, or just be a 12 year old and go off on one of your childish rants again... up to you.

First of all, any fool with half a brain would realise that the two comments you quoted only confirm that I, at no point suggested that people prefer using Microsoft Windows.

I seemed to have read something about Microsoft Windows making up 90% of the OS market. Seems to be doing the job for most people...

Seems pretty simple to me. Please point out where I suggested that people liked Windows more than other operating systems. Please point out where I said, the average user beleives Microsoft Windows is the superior operating system. Please point out where I said people prefer to use Microsoft Windows. I dare you.

The fact is, I never once made the claims that you are accusing me of. I only ever said that Microsoft Windows satisfies the needs of most users. I also only every said that the majority of computer users use Microsoft Windows. Any idiot can see that both of those statements are fact. If you don't agree, then provide me with evidence to the contray. Simple as that.

In regards to the figures you requested, here are the statistics I mentioned collected by OneStat, the world's largest collector of software usage statistics: http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressb...sage-share.html

Also, in case you find OneState Analytics somehow questionable (despite the fact you've provided no evidence to suggest it is anly less valid than "roughlydrafted.com"), here is another set of usage statistics provided by NetApplications. http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.asp...=M&qpsp=104 which shows that a combined 90.91% of computer users use Microsoft Windows as their primary operating system.

'OneStat Analytics' that provides web analytics, which has NOTHING to do with install base - DOH!

Since both of these companies use internet-based techniques to gather their statistics, your argument that these figures do not relate to the user install base of Microsoft Windows is absolutely false. In order for these statistics to have been gathered to begin with, the user must have been actively using the operating system in order for it to have connected to these companies servers and counters. If you weren't so daft and closed-minded, you would have realised this blatantly obvious fact.

Now since you want to respond for erei33, be a nice boy and show us some credible proof that people don't care about what operating system they use, or just be a 12 year old and go off on one of your childish rants again... up to you.

Despite the fact that I have already provided you with ample evidence from multiple sources, I am yet to see ANY evidence from you to support you claims that a) Mac OS market share is growing (however I do agree with that point), :rolleyes: that the statistics I have provided you with are in any way inaccurate, c) that "so many people paying good money and switching to Macs, instead of keeping their PCs", d) that the average consumer actually does care about what operating system they use, e) that Mac's market share is more than the 2.7% I quoted and which you seem to doubt, and f) that people who do care about their operating system always move away from Windows, which you seemed to be insinuating

People do care what operating system they use WHEN they are given a choice

Again, I have provided you with ample evidence from a number of reliable sources, and not only have you failed to return the favour, you have also accused me of making a number of unsubstantiated claims, when throughout this entire debate, you yourself have done that, and only that.

Either provide me with reliable evidence to counter the points I made, or provide me with evidence that disproves my point, otherwise this debate is completely and utterly pointless.

One more thing. Stop taking my comments out of context and then accusing me of "backpeddling". I never made the claims you accuse me of, and you're only seeing what you want to see rather than what is actually their because you are too blinded by you unconditional devotion to Macintosh products, that you will only see what proves your own point, and dismiss everything else as inaccurate.

Throughout this entire debate, I have provided evidence, I have discussed valid arguments, and I have been completely rational. You on the other hand, have failed to approach this debate with either a shred of logic or reason.

Man...you're not gonna win with him. He's too stubborn. Might want to let this one go. =p

Way too stubborn! MyMac8MyPC is so stubborn that he got his own Thread! No matter what statistic you throw at him, he will say something like 'oh its irrelevant' or 'market share is not the same as install base' or 'just because people buy things doesn't mean they use them'.

I was actually going to let this go, but I can't stand the thought of people like you thinking that you've triumphed.

Gee I didn't think it was possible but in one sentence you've accomplished 3 things; you've admitted to being immature, you've claimed to being psychic, and you've completely misunderstood the entire purpose of a debate. Congratulations, that's quite a feat.

For future reference; you may hear voices in your head telling you what other people are 'thinking' but they aren't real, and this is not a contest where one side 'wins' anything. It's time that you learn that when you say something in a debate you either back it up with credible sources or you retract it. You've done neither, hence why we're still here :blink:

In regards to the figures you requested, here are the statistics I mentioned collected by OneStat

Also, in case you find OneState Analytics somehow questionable here is another set of usage statistics provided by NetApplications.

Do you even read what you're posting or are you posting this tripe just to be funny? From the link that you yourself provided:

The leading operating system on the web is still Microsoft's Windows XP

Both of those companies get their data from one source - and one source only - people that are on THE INTERNET (which clearly isn't everybody) or are you now going to insinuate that every single person that owns a computer uses a browser? For example, many people with disabilities don't bother, and that's just one example. Now all you've got to do is show us how what people that do use the net, have to do with what operating system all computer owners prefer if they had a choice. That's a big leap, Good luck. LOL :D

any fool with half a brain would realise that the two comments you quoted only confirm that I, at no point suggested that people prefer using Microsoft Windows

Apparently you need to buy a dictionary. The words 'bother' and 'prefer' (or even 'bother' and 'satisfy') have two different meanings. Now you're changing your statement to read that "at no point <you> suggested that people prefer using Microsoft Windows." when before you kept insinuating that "most people" are supposedly content with windows. Oh and by the way I don't have to provide anything because YOU were the one making the claim! I'm just asking to to back it up with credible references. I don't know what people would prefer using (one way or the other) if they were all given a choice. I know what I've seen first hand, and I know what the trend is, but the problem here is that YOU are making sweeping claims that "most people" (90% were your statistics) are happy with windows, and you have yet to show ANY credible sources to back that up that claim. This would be where you would go off on another one of your childish rants again.

Please point out where I suggested that people liked Windows more than other operating systems. Please point out where I said, the average user beleives Microsoft Windows is the superior operating system. Please point out where I said people prefer to use Microsoft Windows.

That would be redundant mhbas0001 :P

I only ever said that Microsoft Windows satisfies the needs of most users.

LOL :P Wow, you really do have a problem with words. The word 'satisfy' implies that they are happy with it, so you are in effect insinuating (again) that "most people" are happy with using windows. Now all you've got to do is show us your studies and research that backs up your claim. Looking forward to seeing it, unless of course you're going to try to weasel out of providing any credible proof like with all of your other claims.

In order for these statistics to have been gathered to begin with, the user must have been actively using the operating system in order for it to have connected to these companies servers and counters.

Not even close to being true. The 'servers and counters' are located on the net. Again, prove that every single person that owns a computer uses a browser. I know several people from an older generation that never surfs on the net. I'm sure others here have heard of other people like that too. If everyone doesn't use a browser then how in the world could the 'links' that you provided be accurate? They can't, and you shouldn't make sweeping claims like you're doing. We'll obviously that rule doesn't apply to someone like you, because you do...

Throughout this entire debate, I have provided evidence, I have discussed valid arguments, and I have been completely rational.

LOL :P Now I know you just said that to get a chuckle out of me. Guess what, it worked :D

he got his own Thread!

Oh you mean the one where the moderator told the windows fanboy who started the thread to grow up? Did you know that same fanboy sends me love letters via PM? That should tell you something about him ;) Like the moderator pointed out these people are all immature, and if you think that I'm worried about what a handful of immature windows fanboys think about me then you are mistaken :(

market share is not the same as install base

It's not! If you think for a minute that it is then post your references. When someone says something that is wrong I have no problem asking them to clarify it with references. If instead they attack me and duck providing any of those references then that in itself speaks volumes about them. Many people come here to learn, and starting rumors or posting 'opinions as fact' does not help, so yes, I call them on it.

The leading operating system on the web is still Microsoft's Windows XP

That is true. And no matter how many people don't connect to the internet... Windows XP is still the dominant OS for desktop computers worldwide.

Oh you mean the one where the moderator told the windows fanboy who started the thread to grow up?

I mean the one where all you of your qoutes were hysterical. The only reason the thread was censored (It was later uncensored cause I complained and so did some other users) was because Nonny Noose (forgive me if I am spelling it wrong) complained. In that thread I even tried to defend you some:

sometimes he does indeed contribute to the forum.

Now I regret that. No matter what you are presented with, you find some reason for it to be inaccurate or biased.

market share is not the same as install base

Of course they are different. I was just using an example of something you would say.

I will try to impersonate you:

Apple said Tuesday that it sold over two million copies of Mac OS X Leopard since its release on Friday, far outpacing the first-weekend sales of Mac OS X Tiger, which was previously the most successful OS release in the company's history.

That statistic is inaccurate and unfair. What about the users that bought Leopard and then returned it?

Windows XP is still the dominant OS for desktop computers worldwide.

Show me where I ever debated that. However mhbas0001 cannot use a web based analytical company to try to reflect what computer users as a whole prefer. That source is inherently flawed.

Now I regret that.

Yeah well I used to respect you too, but after this I regret that now also so I guess we're even. Life goes on.

No matter what you are presented with, you find some reason for it to be inaccurate or biased.

When people make sweeping generalizations or post their opinions as 'fact' then yes, I'll point out those inaccuracies. If they can't back them up with credible references then they shouldn't have posted it as 'fact' in the first place.

Of course they are different. I was just using an example of something you would say.

LOL :D Well thank you for pointing that out. I just don't understand how if something is true that it's wrong to point it out in a debate. Weird :(

Better to let this one go.

Yep, when you have no credible facts to back up your own personal opinion that's the best course of action :)

Yeah well I used to respect you too, but after this I regret that now also so I guess we're even. Life goes on.

istockphoto_1561236_suicide.jpg

OH NOEZ!

edit: I'm just trolling (with this post, the rest are serious). Why dun can't we all just dun get along?