[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

First off thank you sooo much... this is the best tutorial there is period! I did use some outside resources only to find out my main problem was my frickin SL disk which is perfect out of the box :) . I managed, however to borrow a SL disk from a friend to make my image and all that (his disc looked like {censored} though... go figure) I have Windows 7 on my first drive and SL.3 on my second drive (both SATAII drives... DVD burner is SATA as well).

My problem lies in the bios and being able to select my 2nd HDD to boot from, so I dont have to press f8 at post to pick my 2nd HDD where my Chameleon BL is located... Soooo Im wondering if I was able to maybe switch back to my old bios and everything still work, if I put the correct bios parameters and such. Orrrr maybe I can put chameleon on my first drive instead. i used your myHack_Installer_1.0.1 for the boot loader/Chameleon and your kext package to install the boot loader on my running SL (used boot cd to get back and forth between Win7 and SL) I have no idea how to install Chameleon manually on my Windows HDD. All I rly wanna do is set boot priority in my bios but when i flashed it with the modded bios for my board im now missing my 2nd HDD as an option (only my 1st HDD "removable dev." and my dvd drive).

Oh and the other problem I ran into was being able to install SL to MBR partition table, hence why I installed on 2nd drive... no biggy rly :P. I used you instruction for install from USB flash drive, I must of done something wrong. So I have an MBR partition table for Windows7 disk and a GUID partition for SL ;) . LOL there's so much going through my head atm I hope I get everything I want to ask across. Heres my Hardware info so to help see what I'm dealing with. But like I said in the beginning my priority is to get to where I do not have to press f8 at post all the time hehe. Im sure you'll give me the answer and ill be like "duh, I should of known" Oh yeah I love the bootloader installer you made... works great and easy to follow tut hlped make it that much easier. I also learned a TON from this and see a path to learning even more. Sorry if I ramble LOL.

MOBO: ASUS P5Q SE PLUS (2002 modded bios)

CPU: INTEL e8400 core 2 duo 3ghz (OCed to 3.6Ghz)

RAM: 2x2GB gSkill DDR2 1066

HDDs: 500GB SATAII (MBR w/Windows7 on it)

160GB SATAII (GUID w/SL.3 on it)

OPTICAL DRIVES: some LG super drive w/light-scribe yadda yadda (I loves it :) )

Much respect,

Steven

Hi.

I have sleep/power-off issue with my P5Q-SE Plus mobo.

I think it might be a Bios/Memory issue and not OS X because i have the same issue on Win7.

i have 2x Corsair 2Gb CL5-5-5-15 @ 1066Mhz 2.1v

i have manually set the correct values in BIOS (i think), but i´m not sure about the AI clock twist and all ablut that..?

What are your BIOS-setting for the memory and Power?

I use this Power settings:

Suspend Mode (S3 only)

Repost Video on S3 Resume (No)

ACPI 2.0 Support (Enabled)

ACPI APIC Support (Enabled) -> wont load any OS without.

Everything else works great under 10.6.6 =) except Optical S/PDIF audio.

EDIT:

S/PDIF now working. THIS GUIDE and modify the Audio/MIDI settings till your reciever gets the signal.

Sleep issue in Win7 is du to Boot from GUID Chameleon and selected Win7 from there.

When booting from Win7 Sleep in Windows works.

Now i know i need to figure out how to multiboot into Mac OS X GUID from Win7 harddrive (EasyBCCD ?)

Leaving for that thread.

I'm getting a Kernel Panic while trying to install Snow Leopard using the 10.6.3 retail image.

My PC:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB DDR2 800 MHz
ATi Radeon HD4850
1TB HDD1 SATA-II: Windows 7 (MBR)
250GB HDD2 SATA-II [P1(214GB): SnowLeopard | P2(10GB): iATKOS v5i | P3(7.4GB): DVD] (GPT)

- I've already tried downgrading my BIOS from 2101 to 2001

- I used the myHack 1.1 but the Chamaleon boot menu doesn't have a theme (looks like the first Chamaleon)

What do you think I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

I got the installation working by installing CHAMALEON 2 RC5 over the myHack Installer.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, first of all thanks for guide!

just a question. i've P5QL-SE with 10.6.0 and one MOTU audio card PCI installed. software don't see pci card. i suppose i need kext for pci bus? true?

i don't try 10.6.5 too, first i'd like to ask before install wrong software!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello Robert!

I've had great luck with your 10.5 installation guide on my ASUS P5Q, and after a power outage which crippled my installation of 10.5.8( which I used solidly for a year and change thanks to you!) I went and rebuilt my system to 10.6.6, with my backed up data. On the 10.6.6 installation I was using a PNY Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT 512 card with everything working perfectly using Chameleon 2r3 I believe. Now I'm having some issues after replacing the 9600GT with a Quadro FX3800 1gb. Under profiler it shows the correct VRAM, says its "unknown".

" Chipset Model: Unknown

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x05ff

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Displays:

Cintiq 21UX 2:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

"

Honestly I'm not picky with pretty details, as long as the card works with Maya and well, I don't care what OSX thinks it is. The only problem is I have been experiencing a jumpy lagging mouse cursor since I changed the graphics card, and apparently after some searching, this is a known problem if the video card is having trouble processing the display. So it forces me to get the card to be detected properly, to try and solve the cursor issue,. The mouse problem is way more noticeable for me as I use the screen zooming in OSX because I am very near sighted. If anyone can point me in the right direction on solving this I would be so very grateful!

B.

Hello Robert!

I've had great luck with your 10.5 installation guide on my ASUS P5Q, and after a power outage which crippled my installation of 10.5.8( which I used solidly for a year and change thanks to you!) I went and rebuilt my system to 10.6.6, with my backed up data. On the 10.6.6 installation I was using a PNY Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT 512 card with everything working perfectly using Chameleon 2r3 I believe. Now I'm having some issues after replacing the 9600GT with a Quadro FX3800 1gb. Under profiler it shows the correct VRAM, says its "unknown".

" Chipset Model: Unknown

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x05ff

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Displays:

Cintiq 21UX 2:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

"

Honestly I'm not picky with pretty details, as long as the card works with Maya and well, I don't care what OSX thinks it is. The only problem is I have been experiencing a jumpy lagging mouse cursor since I changed the graphics card, and apparently after some searching, this is a known problem if the video card is having trouble processing the display. So it forces me to get the card to be detected properly, to try and solve the cursor issue,. The mouse problem is way more noticeable for me as I use the screen zooming in OSX because I am very near sighted. If anyone can point me in the right direction on solving this I would be so very grateful!

B.

Take a look at this

http://www.kexts.com/view/11-nvidia_-_mous...xquot;_x64.html

I didn't imagine there was such a kext!

Thank you again Robert, you a savior.

I will install with kexthelpber b7(anyone else notice it needs to be force quit, ever since I installed SL) yet it still gets the job done. So hopefully this will solve my problem, I will let you know,

B.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your Guide. I was easily able to follow this even though I am new to osx86 and successfully installed my first try on a P5QL-EPU (after some failed attempts at other guides I might add.) I had trouble only when I updated to 10.6.7 because of my unsupported Video Card (ASUS (ATI) HD5450 Silent.) I was able to boot safe, but could not get this card working no matter what I tried, followed several guides for similar cards but... Anyway, I broke down and bought a ASUS (nVidia) EN210 Silent (only $35) and presto, it comes up properly in profiler as does everything else (except my CPU shows up as an Intel Xeon.) Just wanted to thank you for this smashing success and report my hardware configuration.

ASUS P5QL-EPU motherboard

Intel Q8400 Quad Core CPU @ 2.66ghz

ASUS EN210 Silent/D1/512MD2(LP) Video Card

2GB ram, 320GB Western Digital SATA HDD

320GB Western Digital IDE HDD

LG SATA DVD-DL RW and LG IDE DVD-DL with Light-scribe

Running OSX 10.6.7 (and about to setup Windows 7 duel boot) :D

• 1 month later...

How I can start OSX 10.6 with "-x -v" during the installation from USB? I never see the typical black screen to write, only I see a graphical installation screen

EDIT: Well... I see how, only need to type in the first graphic screen, when ask for a HD to boot

New problem.... It can't finish the installation, it ever stop when say that remaining 8 minutes for finish the installation. What can I do? Don't appear any kernel screen, it just stops

EDIT: Finally I installed OS X and is 100% functionally! Thanks!!

PD: The problem was OS X is unnable to boot up, this is because it stop, but installation was ok :)

• 2 weeks later...
I don't understand, you first install it to a USB Drive then you restore it to internal HDD or it stays on External??

which part you didn't understand ?

actually we "remastering" the default snow leopard installer to able boot in our pc

to do that we put the image from the installer to usb and install another software to boot the installer from usb

if you try to install from original image, I bet it will complain CMIIW

btw , if anyone got trouble with the sound card on 10.6.7 , you can try VoodooHDA

• 4 weeks later...
This is an awesome tutorial and thinks once again Robert fror sharing this with everyone.

My question however is how come my "timed Sleep" doesn't work anymore but when I manually

make my my P5Q Pro Turbo sleep using the Apple drop down menu it sleeps perfectly?

The Mac OS I am currently using is 10.6.4 because everything is working so good I am a little afraid

to make anymore drastic changes at this time. I tried this once updating to 10.6.5 but I was getting

kernal panics and thought "Now way!, I don't want to try this again for awhile.

So If you can post your 10.6.4 boot.plist with the correct pm-version and sleepenabler that would

be great?

Thanks again,

Chad

ok, well I was able to update to 10.6.7 without any kernal panics with sleep working too. It was the sleep enabler and I should have known this. However, timed sleep still doesn't work and I wish someone could share the trick on getting this minor detail fixed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Having a problem getting past Step 6.3. After I hit F8 and choose my USB drive, all I get is a blinking cursor and nothing else happens. I'm not able to enter "-x -v", since it never gets past the blinking cursor.

I read that you need to "show hidden files" before you run MyHack in Step 5, and I did that as well: terminal- "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE"

but it still won't boot from my USB.

I'm using an iMac with OS X 10.4.11 to do my disk utility and MyHack.

I have an Asus P5QC mobo.

Installing off an HP usb 16gb drive, using MBR partition

MyHack 1.1

Mac OS X 10.6.3 install dmg

Having a problem getting past Step 6.3. After I hit F8 and choose my USB drive, all I get is a blinking cursor and nothing else happens. I'm not able to enter "-x -v", since it never gets past the blinking cursor.

I read that you need to "show hidden files" before you run MyHack in Step 5, and I did that as well: terminal- "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE"

but it still won't boot from my USB.

I'm using an iMac with OS X 10.4.11 to do my disk utility and MyHack.

I have an Asus P5QC mobo.

Installing off an HP usb 16gb drive, using MBR partition

MyHack 1.1

Mac OS X 10.6.3 install dmg

Make sure the boot loader is installed on your USB drive. You might have to repeat step 5 and run the MyHack 1.1.3 or 1.1 again and make sure you "Change Installation Location to the correct Drive location" Also make sure your BIOS setting are correct and ACPI APIC Support is set to Enabled and your storage configuration is set to AHCI.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks dude,

Manage to install on my P5Q Deluxe and combo update to 10.6.8 normally without needing to remove/replace any kext.

With some VoodooHDA, IONetworkingFamily and NVEnabler64 all my sound, LAN and nvidia 9800gt working great! Thanks again for the guide.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've passed the installation process with success! I used MyHack 1.1 and it was a success to install. BUT, if i use MyHack post-installation to create a bootable SnowLeopard, i have a Kernel Panic. If I use Chameleon RC5, i have an infinite loop...

What can i do?

(Sorry for my bad english, i'm french)

Hello,

I've passed the installation process with success! I used MyHack 1.1 and it was a success to install. BUT, if i use MyHack post-installation to create a bootable SnowLeopard, i have a Kernel Panic. If I use Chameleon RC5, i have an infinite loop...

What can i do?

(Sorry for my bad english, i'm french)

What is the Kerenel Panic Message...Also please select the option as shown in the screenshot..

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=68634

I already selected the options as shown at the screenshot. Another thing, i can't upgrade to 10.6.8 using the combo update downloaded at www.apple.com, I have the grey screen with the apple logo (but without the lopping loading image above).

What is the Kerenel Panic Message...

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed :D

Thanks.

Heey, can someone help me?

I installed 10.6.8 delta update to my machine:

Asus P5Q PRO

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

4GB Ram

But I have no sound anymore after the restart, can someone say what I must do to have it working again? It was perfect working with 10.6.7. It is recognized in system profiler but not in system preferences, I added a screenshot to show you my problem.

post-370007-1310644860_thumb.png

Don't need any help anymore... stupid me! Got it already working, when you reinstall the AppleHDA.kext from the first post with Kexthelper, it worked with 10.6.8

post-370007-1310644877_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All! It's been a while since my last visit here. I just updated from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 then I installed the new SleepEnabler kext and NVenabler.kext. All is well except for the Folder icons. Everything that has folder icon is empty. All icons appear though. Can someone shed a light for me? THanks! :)

I tried downloading the kexts from Kext.com, apparently I need to register there to be able to download the Nvidia kexts. But I cannot register since there is no image on the image verification field. Help please! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I have followed Robert's guide, and not installed sleepenabler kext. but upon installing 10.6.8 update, i keep getting the grey "restart your computer" screen. the problem described when sleepenabler is left on the system. but i do not have sleepenabler anywhere on the system!

Any help is much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hello there,

i'm brand new to the site but not to hackintoshing...

i have so far one successful mackintosh'd Hp pavillion media centre m8020n running 10.6

i own 2 macbooks a g4 and a g5, iphone 3gs, iphone 4, apple tv2...(i've more than paid my dues to apple)

i do this purely for thrill and excitement of "doing the undo-able".. :blink:

I'm on my second machine build and ive pretty much hit the frustration wall!

My tech : Asus P5Q-E mobo, OCZ silver ram 1gb 800mhz i think, Nvidia Geforce 7350LE 128mb, sata hard drive 360gb.

i have tried many distros such as iatkos, ipc, hazard before trying the above method...all with no success.

Mostly blank or black screens..

i tried the above method and the same thing!

right after loading the many +hfs files after hitting -v or -v -x.......it gives me the white screen with apple logo and then blank or black screen without reboot or shutdown...

can someone please help...i cannot go on to my next fun project until this is completed and shut down! those out there like me understands my illness so as to speak :(

i'm not able to see if there is an error code due to the screen moving so quickly....(i was able to do this before with dvd boot ups) cause reading time is a bit slower......

i used the 2001-BIOS-Asus_P5Q_E_for_MAC_OS_X_VISTA_SLIC_all_OS__incl as per the guide and only copied the kexts outlined on the guide....

Any help appreciated...