[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

mine updated fine, p5q pro, 8500 c2d, nvidia 9800 gt. i had to reinstall my apple hda for dsdt alc 1200 sound. sleep / shut down still works. my e/e folder has fakesmc and legacy acl1200 and that's it

Great. I'm on a P5Q, hope it goes smooth too.

Now, you put "apple hda for dsdt". I never had to do any DSDT in my OSX installation....

I really don't get why, but I guess some mobos need DSDT mod, and some don't...

Hello guys

After an excellent 10.6.0 install, i download 10.6.5 combo and after restart cannot boot... After the apple image i got black screen and nothing hapened....

1) Is there any way to heal the situation?

My first thought is repair permitions but how can boot to this menu?

2) Is there another thought?

Thanx in advance

Just updated and wanted to let you know that EVERYTHING is working as expected.

Have a nice day.

I've had to revert to 10.6.4 because ProTools was working pretty strange, too much disk activity.

Also there was a lot of permissions that couldn be repaired, and it took a very very long time to make a verify too....

Did you have any problems?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello guys

After an excellent 10.6.0 install, i download 10.6.5 combo and after restart cannot boot... After the apple image i got black screen and nothing hapened....

1) Is there any way to heal the situation?

My first thought is repair permitions but how can boot to this menu?

2) Is there another thought?

Thanx in advance

Did you remove Sleepenabler.kext before install the update? You need to remove that...

Can somebody help me? I got a fully working 10.5.8 installation, now I wanted to try Snow Leopard. So I installed it on my external harddrive connected via USB. I have a Asus P5Q PRO, Intel C2Q Q9550, Asus ATI 4850 1024MB (working in Leopard), 4GB DDR2-800 Ram.

I have a problem, I installed snow leopard via the guide posted in this topic. Installed 10.6.0 (why can't I choose 10.6.3?). It recognizes my USB-devices (wireless mouse, keyboard etc.). But my USB-stick isn't working, it recognizes the Kingston Datatraveler in Disk Utility but it can't mount it. Also my external harddrive isn't showing up on the desktop, only in finder. Also I can only boot in -x -v GraphicsEnabler=yes mode. Without the -x it isn't working, strange screen when trying to load the 4850. Can someone help me? My priority is the usb, because now I can't transfer kexts.

Thanx in advance.

Can somebody help me? I got a fully working 10.5.8 installation, now I wanted to try Snow Leopard. So I installed it on my external harddrive connected via USB. I have a Asus P5Q PRO, Intel C2Q Q9550, Asus ATI 4850 1024MB (working in Leopard), 4GB DDR2-800 Ram.

I have a problem, I installed snow leopard via the guide posted in this topic. Installed 10.6.0 (why can't I choose 10.6.3?). It recognizes my USB-devices (wireless mouse, keyboard etc.). But my USB-stick isn't working, it recognizes the Kingston Datatraveler in Disk Utility but it can't mount it. Also my external harddrive isn't showing up on the desktop, only in finder. Also I can only boot in -x -v GraphicsEnabler=yes mode. Without the -x it isn't working, strange screen when trying to load the 4850. Can someone help me? My priority is the usb, because now I can't transfer kexts.

Thanx in advance.

I guess in -x mode your USB Drive wont work....

What happens when you try to boot with just -v.....

Please let us know the error message that you receive.....

You can use 10.6.3 if you are installing myHack v1.1

I guess in -x mode your USB Drive wont work....

What happens when you try to boot with just -v.....

Please let us know the error message that you receive.....

You can use 10.6.3 if you are installing myHack v1.1

Your install method is a good one if you don't have a ATI 4850, you get only a screen with booting -x.

But I got it working, my retail installation crashed (stupid me, made an error), so I tried again with iAtkos S3 v2, now I have a fully working 10.6.5! But I get only a screen when I boot with -f, if I boot without that I can't get a screen (with the dvi-connector only a black screen when I boot with -v it says "device in slot-1" or something, then when it wants to switch to the desktop it goes black. When I use the dvi-vga adapter and connect screen via vga, I get a white screen when it wants to switch to the desktop. I used the EAH4850 OSX Essentials pack, installed to first 2 packages and natit-nopowerplay (to resolve jumping mouse issue). Updated to 10.6.5 and it is still working.

I installed it on my external 320gb USB-Harddrive, next step install it on my internal harddrive. I think it won't be different.

Just one question, I used iAtkos S3 v2, is a retail installation more stable? I used the standerd vanillia kernel. Thanx for now.

Your install method is a good one if you don't have a ATI 4850, you get only a screen with booting -x.

But I got it working, my retail installation crashed (stupid me, made an error), so I tried again with iAtkos S3 v2, now I have a fully working 10.6.5! But I get only a screen when I boot with -f, if I boot without that I can't get a screen (with the dvi-connector only a black screen when I boot with -v it says "device in slot-1" or something, then when it wants to switch to the desktop it goes black. When I use the dvi-vga adapter and connect screen via vga, I get a white screen when it wants to switch to the desktop. I used the EAH4850 OSX Essentials pack, installed to first 2 packages and natit-nopowerplay (to resolve jumping mouse issue). Updated to 10.6.5 and it is still working.

I installed it on my external 320gb USB-Harddrive, next step install it on my internal harddrive. I think it won't be different.

Just one question, I used iAtkos S3 v2, is a retail installation more stable? I used the standerd vanillia kernel. Thanx for now.

I guess it does not make any difference as you have used the Vanilla Kernel...

Hi everybody

i have a little problem about the lan , have P5q deluxe motherboard

i have follow all the steps in this guide and everything works very well, except for mainly 2 things, i cant kexthelp any kext .. im using kext utility because i cant click on easy install. i cant see vendor of the lan or i dont know how to see it to daownload the right kext, after 2 days of searching, i have looking forward to do manually with terminal, but i cant do it...

time machine works

audio works with envy24ht.

i can boot from my installation

i cant write on other disks.

how i can solve it if there are any way... i can try to solve

but i need some help

Hi everybody

i have a little problem about the lan , have P5q deluxe motherboard

i have follow all the steps in this guide and everything works very well, except for mainly 2 things, i cant kexthelp any kext .. im using kext utility because i cant click on easy install. i cant see vendor of the lan or i dont know how to see it to daownload the right kext, after 2 days of searching, i have looking forward to do manually with terminal, but i cant do it...

time machine works

audio works with envy24ht.

i can boot from my installation

i cant write on other disks.

how i can solve it if there are any way... i can try to solve

but i need some help

You have to set a password for your user acount, otherwise you can't click on easyinstall.

HI!

I've added 4Gb DDR2 800 to my system and I've noticed at ABOUT THIS MAC that it shows the memory as DDR2 667.

Just checked the bios and everything is OK. So, how do I correct this? DSDT?

Does it has something to do with memory performance? Or I just leave it as it is?

THX!

HI!

I've added 4Gb DDR2 800 to my system and I've noticed at ABOUT THIS MAC that it shows the memory as DDR2 667.

Just checked the bios and everything is OK. So, how do I correct this? DSDT?

Does it has something to do with memory performance? Or I just leave it as it is?

THX!

Your performance will not be affected...You can use the SMBIOSResolver.kext to resolve the issue

Your performance will not be affected...You can use the SMBIOSResolver.kext to resolve the issue

TNX!

And robert, I must say that with your guide, adapting it to each case, I´ve already instaled SL on three hacks.

BIG THANKS!

hi,

i have a asus motherborad p5q deluxe

nvidia geforce 8800 gs

cpu e5500

512 mb ddr 2 533mhz

hd sata 2 500 gb

i tried to install this machine with my retail snow leopard...but

i have the same problem.

i have flashed my bios with 2001-BIOS-Asus_P5Q_Deluxe_for_MAC_OS_X___all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM.zip

panic.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pleaseee help meee!

hi,

i have a asus motherborad p5q deluxe

nvidia geforce 8800 gs

cpu e5500

512 mb ddr 2 533mhz

hd sata 2 500 gb

i tried to install this machine with my retail snow leopard...but

i have the same problem.

i have flashed my bios with 2001-BIOS-Asus_P5Q_Deluxe_for_MAC_OS_X___all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM.zip

panic.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pleaseee help meee!

In which step are you receiving this error...?

First off thank you sooo much... this is the best tutorial there is period! I did use some outside resources only to find out my main problem was my frickin SL disk which is perfect out of the box :wacko: . I managed, however to borrow a SL disk from a friend to make my image and all that (his disc looked like {censored} though... go figure) I have Windows 7 on my first drive and SL.3 on my second drive (both SATAII drives... DVD burner is SATA as well).

My problem lies in the bios and being able to select my 2nd HDD to boot from, so I dont have to press f8 at post to pick my 2nd HDD where my Chameleon BL is located... Soooo Im wondering if I was able to maybe switch back to my old bios and everything still work, if I put the correct bios parameters and such. Orrrr maybe I can put chameleon on my first drive instead. i used your myHack_Installer_1.0.1 for the boot loader/Chameleon and your kext package to install the boot loader on my running SL (used boot cd to get back and forth between Win7 and SL) I have no idea how to install Chameleon manually on my Windows HDD. All I rly wanna do is set boot priority in my bios but when i flashed it with the modded bios for my board im now missing my 2nd HDD as an option (only my 1st HDD "removable dev." and my dvd drive).

Oh and the other problem I ran into was being able to install SL to MBR partition table, hence why I installed on 2nd drive... no biggy rly :P. I used you instruction for install from USB flash drive, I must of done something wrong. So I have an MBR partition table for Windows7 disk and a GUID partition for SL :| . LOL there's so much going through my head atm I hope I get everything I want to ask across. Heres my Hardware info so to help see what I'm dealing with. But like I said in the beginning my priority is to get to where I do not have to press f8 at post all the time hehe. Im sure you'll give me the answer and ill be like "duh, I should of known" Oh yeah I love the bootloader installer you made... works great and easy to follow tut hlped make it that much easier. I also learned a TON from this and see a path to learning even more. Sorry if I ramble LOL.

MOBO: ASUS P5Q SE PLUS (2002 modded bios)

CPU: INTEL e8400 core 2 duo 3ghz (OCed to 3.6Ghz)

RAM: 2x2GB gSkill DDR2 1066

HDDs: 500GB SATAII (MBR w/Windows7 on it)

160GB SATAII (GUID w/SL.3 on it)

OPTICAL DRIVES: some LG super drive w/light-scribe yadda yadda (I loves it :) )

Much respect,

Steven

I figured out the MBR install thing... I just misread where to place the other "osinstall" thingy (not the osintall.mpkg). SMBios is my next step. Here's the thing, if I use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd to boot into my SL disk (I have to the first boot cause it wont boot w/o the loader which I install your "myHack_Installer_1.1.mpkg" & kext pack you made). The loader in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd sees my RAM speed correctly so im gonna look inside the preboot.dmg and see what I can find in there, and the plists.