[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

Thank you for this guide! I had all but given up on running SL on my machine, but on a whim decided to give it a crack yesterday and stumbled upon this guide. I now have a 100% fully working Mac on my P5Q Pro Turbo board!

Also thanks for the guide. Works flawless in first run on Asus P5Q Pro Turbo. Using Shaumux BIOS (DSDT, w/o CPU alias, HpetFix, Reset cMOS fix).

Tips:

- burning the modified "Install DVD" to disks like DVD or BluRay will not work (couldnt find bootloader), USB HDD works best.

- writing the "Install DVD" from a virtual Machine (VirtualBox) with Mac OS X to a native connnected HDD on SATA, eSATA, PATA controller will not work, (writing errors, not enough permission to write to disk), but native connected USB HDD works

- creating "install DVD" in a VM with MAC OS X (VirtualBox) to a USB HDD works

- deleted NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from "Extra" folder after installation, no kernel panic appeared because of Shaumux BIOS with DSDT table :)

So next step will be to enable CPU throttling and power management but I am not familar with DSDT and EFI or Chameleon bootloader but where is good point to start at? Searched forum but couldnt find a good guide to start with. Maybe i will add a guide with power management in addition to yours.

I figured out the MBR install thing... I just misread where to place the other "osinstall" thingy (not the osintall.mpkg). SMBios is my next step. Here's the thing, if I use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd to boot into my SL disk (I have to the first boot cause it wont boot w/o the loader which I install your "myHack_Installer_1.1.mpkg" & kext pack you made). The loader in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd sees my RAM speed correctly so im gonna look inside the preboot.dmg and see what I can find in there, and the plists.

And where do you have to put it?

Never got it.

Thanks!

Your performance will not be affected...You can use the SMBIOSResolver.kext to resolve the issue

HI!

Should I install it with kexkthelper?

Because I've just noticed that I've had it in my Extra>Extensions folder forever and still see my RAM as 667.

BTW, looking at my EXTRA folder, I've noticed IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

I've removed it and I see no change... should I notice anything?

As far as I know, the less kexks you use, closer to a vanilla install, right?

I also had a "jumpy"or "disappearing" mouse problem (the cursor is at a given place in the screen and as I'm moving the mouse, the cursor disappears for a second fraction and appears somewhere else).

Doing a search to solve a slow USB (on some devices, some others works perfectly) I've found somebody that recommends to try to remove AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E.

Tried that and today I've noticed that mouse is working as ever before!

Just wanted to let you know, just in case.

Best regards.

greetings,

I used this guide and was successfully able to install and boot into SL 10.6. I successfully installled upates to 10.6.5 through software update. The only kexts I have in were the ones mentioned in the guide instructions. Video card works perfect, nic, and time machine work perfectly.

My two main issues are sleep not working, the screen goes blank, but the system fan stays on, and never truly goes to sleep, and when I hit mouse/keyboard/power button, it never wakes up. I have to do a cold boot. I have enabled S3 in the bios. I installed sleepenabler.kext after updating to 10.6.5, but sleep still does not work.

Other issue is that I have no sound (onboard sound). I tried both ALC1200 (106 and 1062) kexts from the link in the guide but neither works. I the tried the older 10.6.2 kext and that got me Intel High definition audio listed in the system profiler, but it just says AudioID 12, no other hardware information or addresses. when I check system prefs/sound, there are no output options. Not sure where to go from here.

can someone help me out with this? My exact system specs are in signature.

Thanks again for the great guide and support!!

greetings,

I used this guide and was successfully able to install and boot into SL 10.6. I successfully installled upates to 10.6.5 through software update. The only kexts I have in were the ones mentioned in the guide instructions. Video card works perfect, nic, and time machine work perfectly.

My two main issues are sleep not working, the screen goes blank, but the system fan stays on, and never truly goes to sleep, and when I hit mouse/keyboard/power button, it never wakes up. I have to do a cold boot. I have enabled S3 in the bios. I installed sleepenabler.kext after updating to 10.6.5, but sleep still does not work.

Other issue is that I have no sound (onboard sound). I tried both ALC1200 (106 and 1062) kexts from the link in the guide but neither works. I the tried the older 10.6.2 kext and that got me Intel High definition audio listed in the system profiler, but it just says AudioID 12, no other hardware information or addresses. when I check system prefs/sound, there are no output options. Not sure where to go from here.

can someone help me out with this? My exact system specs are in signature.

Thanks again for the great guide and support!!

Did you try the kexts from here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161430 .... Install the kext using kexthelper

Did you try the kexts from here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161430 .... Install the kext using kexthelper

hi, yes, I have tried that kext and installed using kexthelper. Thats what generated the information I included in my post. It seems several people in this thread had the same issue as me where they just get AudioID 12 after installing the kext, and from what I read, no one seems to have a workaround.

for now, I was able to install an old creative labs sb live pci card in, using kxaudiodriver-1.3b0 to get audio going, but would really like to get the onboard audio working if possible.

Any other ideas I can try?

Greetings fellow hackintoshers. So I've hit a wall twice and figured I'd give this forum a try.

Short story short:

P5Q (modded 2002 bios)

Intel Pentium D 925

SATA HDDs/DVD

6 GB (2x1 + 2x2) of Corsair XMS2 Xtreme @ 800mhz

9600 GT, 512mb (think it's ASUS or MSI)

USB keyboard + mouse

I've tried both leo hazards distro and iatkos s3 v2. While both install successfully, they either hang or force shutdown at first boot. And from what I know of, the issue seems to be because of the IOStorageFamily.kext (which means that either SATA/AHCI or PATA drivers(kexts? are the main culprit). I've tried different kexts but to no avail...

Greetings fellow hackintoshers. So I've hit a wall twice and figured I'd give this forum a try.

Short story short:

P5Q (modded 2002 bios)

Intel Pentium D 925

SATA HDDs/DVD

6 GB (2x1 + 2x2) of Corsair XMS2 Xtreme @ 800mhz

9600 GT, 512mb (think it's ASUS or MSI)

USB keyboard + mouse

I've tried both leo hazards distro and iatkos s3 v2. While both install successfully, they either hang or force shutdown at first boot. And from what I know of, the issue seems to be because of the IOStorageFamily.kext (which means that either SATA/AHCI or PATA drivers(kexts? are the main culprit). I've tried different kexts but to no avail...

iDeneb Always works for me.....

Hi guys,

First of all thanks for this tutorial.

But...

I've tried installing v10.6.3 Retail on my P5Q-PRO, Computer boots on USB, i use "-v -x" to boot and after a while i get this:

Bug: launchctl.c:3557 (23930):17: ioctl(s6, SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, &ifra6) != -1
Creating RAM Disk for /Volumes
[...]
stat: /Library/ColorSync/Profile/Displays: stat: No Such file or directory
mount: realpath /Library/ColorSync: No such file or directory
chown: /Library/ColorSync/Profile/Displays: No such file or directory
chmod: /Library/ColorSync/Profile/Displays: No such file or directory
nvram: Error getting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) data was not found
using 64-bit bootcache playlist
BootCacheControl: could not unlink playlist /var/db/BootCache.playlist: Read-only file system
Bug: launchctl.c:2325 (23930):30: (dbfd = open(g_job_overrides_db_path, O_RDONLY | O_EXLOCK | O_CREAT, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR)) != -1
systemShutdown false
ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure
Previous Shutdown Cause: 0
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
DSMOS has arrived
AttansicL1eEthernet: Ethernet address 00:23:[...]

And then: Blackout! No more signal.

(I did replace FakeSMC.kext and add EVOenabler.kext in the Extensions folder.)

So Please i need your help !

Hi guys,

But...

I've tried installing v10.6.3 Retail on my P5Q-PRO, Computer boots on USB, i use "-v -x" to boot and after a while i get this:

[...]
BootCacheControl: could not unlink playlist /var/db/BootCache.playlist: Read-only file system
Bug: launchctl.c:2325 (23930):30: (dbfd = open(g_job_overrides_db_path, O_RDONLY | O_EXLOCK | O_CREAT, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR)) != -1
systemShutdown false
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
DSMOS has arrived

Please help me out :thumbsup_anim:

Hi guys,

But...

[...]
 systemShutdown false
 DSMOS has arrived

It is because of your graphics card....try EVOENABLER.KEXT

It is because of your graphics card....try EVOENABLER.KEXT

Thanks for your answer, but i had already put EVOenabler.kext in Extra>Extensions.

I replaced the one i had with the one you gave me: same error screen.

Are you positive this error has something to do with my graphics card?

Try -x -v

Regards

Thanks for your answer.

I was already booting with -v -x.

i had a go with -x -v and i got the same error screen :glare:

Thanks for your answer, but i had already put EVOenabler.kext in Extra>Extensions.

I replaced the one i had with the one you gave me: same error screen.

Are you positive this error has something to do with my graphics card?

Thanks for your answer.

I was already booting with -v -x.

i had a go with -x -v and i got the same error screen :(

As RoberT_XeS said its your graphic card.

Try removing ATIRadeonX2000.kext from system/Library/Extensions.

As RoberT_XeS said its your graphic card.

Try removing ATIRadeonX2000.kext from system/Library/Extensions.

THANK YOU !

Thanks to you i have some GOOD NEWS :)

I removed ATIRadeonX2000.kext but i didn't work.

So i tried removing all the kexts for ATI.

And then it worked! i still get the screen with all the code i posted before but instead of switching down, I get to the installation screen.

Installation starts and after 40min, aprox. 95%, installation fails.

I remember reading that sometimes you could still boot into OSX even if the installation fails at the end.

So i tried booting on USB, then selecting the OSX drive.

I get the same error as before, no signal.

When i boot with -x -f i get the grey screen and after a few seconds i get a progression bar that stops half way through.

Anything to get passed this?

P5Q Pro with correct Bios

8GB RAM

ATI HD 4830

2TB HDD 1 = Windows 7 Partition, Leopard Partition <----MBR

1 TB HDD 2 = Snow Leopard 10.6.0 <----- GPT

I installed and followed the directions to a tee and still:

1. I cannot boot Snow Leopard without keeping the USB drive that I have attached and going through the MyHack installer.

2. When I try to boot SL by going through the Leopard Partition Chameleon, I'm getting a Kernel panic

Yes I have used Easy BCD to make boot entries. The only boot entry I can make is the one that allows me to boot either Windows 7 or Leopard from seperate partitions on the same HDD.

I've also tried F8 to boot directly from the HDD with SL on it. It sends directly to the 2TB HDD and gives me the option of either Win 7 and Leopard.

Need help post-704596-1294017161_thumb.jpg

Hi need some help,

i managed to boot and updated to os 10.6.5 successfully, sound and lan working as well. Only thing i need now is to change resolution, i'm currently stuck as everytime i try to change resolution, the screen will turn blue and after the 15s the screen flickers (to change back to the original resolution) it gets stuck at a blue screen as well(have to force restart to get back to 800*600 resolution), any help? i'm running on p5q se/r and geforce 9400GT 512mb

Hi need some help,

i managed to boot and updated to os 10.6.5 successfully, sound and lan working as well. Only thing i need now is to change resolution, i'm currently stuck as everytime i try to change resolution, the screen will turn blue and after the 15s the screen flickers (to change back to the original resolution) it gets stuck at a blue screen as well(have to force restart to get back to 800*600 resolution), any help? i'm running on p5q se/r and geforce 9400GT 512mb

Try using nvinject.kext...

http://www.kexts.com/view/17-nvinject_%2832--64-bit%29.html

I used Nvinject to resolve the issue.....

If this does not work then let me know I will upload the one that I have....

Try using nvinject.kext...

http://www.kexts.com/view/17-nvinject_%2832--64-bit%29.html

I used Nvinject to resolve the issue.....

If this does not work then let me know I will upload the one that I have....

Hi, yes it sure resolved the issue, i was able to change resolution but nvinject seem to not recognized my card, i've uninstalled it and installed NVEnabler and it stuck to the resolution that i changed with nvinject and recognize my card!

hope this helps anyone that has the same problem!

Hello im new here, and i have a problem.

I completed the installation, after i can boot from the mac partition, but the OS cant load. Said "Still Waiting for root device".

I have P5QL-E, with moddifed bios. APC enabled, Firewire enabled.

My CD drive is SATA, HDD ATA. Install version: iPC 10.5.6 Mac OS X

Edit: I will post some screen maybe helpfull.

Hello im new here, and i have a problem.

I completed the installation, after i can boot from the mac partition, but the OS cant load. Said "Still Waiting for root device".

I have P5QL-E, with moddifed bios. APC enabled, Firewire enabled.

My CD drive is SATA, HDD ATA. Install version: iPC 10.5.6 Mac OS X

Edit: I will post some screen maybe helpfull.

CHANGE THE STORAGE CONFIGURATION IN BIOS TO AHCI

Just reinstalled after buying a new graphics card (GTS450, working fine, thankyou!) but I'm having some weird crashes. I have no idea what triggers them, but so far I think it might have something to do with disk or network throughput.

Here's the weird thing though, even though the system is unresponsive the active task (in this case a large network copy from laptop to hackintosh with Apple Remote Desktop) finishes with no issue even if it had barely started when the machine became unresponsive.

I'm going to edit this post with all the kexts I have loaded as soon as I get a chance.

Tips?

Edit: The following kexts are in /Extra/Extensions:

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext