How to boost the OS X boot process...

1,027 posts in this topic

Hi Groot,

You can order one, or more, but before you do.. do check with OCZ's support department if they have OS X drivers, because I cannot share my fathers work without them paying for it. And since he now works for A Inc... that might be a problem – the new/upcoming Mac Pro will have a similar (but onboard) implementation.

Ok but do I need drivers t run it as my main drive ? I did not think so ....will have to test ... if it does not work then ermmmm I'll have to run some form of Linux on it ...no chance I will put windowzzz on there ;)

Might be the case. You should see a debug message showing the name and number of bytes it loaded. And keep in mind that you either have to set LOAD_DSDT_TABLE_FROM_EXTRA_ACPI to 1 or use STATIC_DSDT_TABLE_INJECTION 1 along with the mandatory PATCH_ACPI_TABLE_DATA 1

Of course I've set either static dsdt injection or load from extra to 1 as well as patch acpi table data to 1. noob to this subject I maybe, an idiot (edit - complete idiot ;) ) I am not!

The loaded or statically supplied DSDT, and the original (address) when there is none given.

so this is no indicator of loaded or statically supplied DSDT being read.

You should see a debug message showing the name and number of bytes it loaded.

as per my debug pictures, I recieve this message with loaded and static dsdt data.

None-the-less the system at boot is acting like no dsdt is being loaded.

Ok. Bed time for me. Good night gentlemen...

take care

D

Just FYI -

Setting my Revolution HDD (none RAID) as boot 0 in BIOS (all previous test have been conducted by pressing f11 at boot and selecting to boot from nonRAID Revolution HDD.) and having just scrubbed with 'applejack AUTO' I got the fooker to boot this far:

post-275122-1299206028_thumb.jpg

I think BlackOSX has reported a lock up at the same stage of boot, whether it's related or not I don't know??

Catch you on the flipside!

D

I don't have a solution right away, but it appears to be related to the system MKext. Like it is being recreated (by the OS) without one or more kexts.

But why if the mkext is corrupted m y test drive can still be loaded without problem with chameleon from my "every day use" drive? Is chamelon loading the other system's mkext maybe?

I have no idea to what to do the only thing I can do is wait for a release that don't give me this problem.

@FKA & scrax: Please replace your acpi/patcher.h with the attached copy and tell me what you see (debug output) but I only need 3 lines of it. Starting with this one: "FACP table patching...".

Thank you for testing this!

Morning Dutch.

Thanks so much for the test file - We're recording a show this morning but I'm on a half day today ( ;) )so I'll test when I get home this afternoon.

Laters

D

Morning Groot,

You have to find a distributor and ask them what they have in stock and support. I'm not allowed to talk about this anymore. Brother went mad.

Don't you love public transportation. I do now – train had a 15+ minute delay and thus... no school today. What a joy.

Hope I did not get you in trouble about it ....Have found dist and sellers here no problem. Erm does your brother supply spares ? I recall you asking him to build you a desktop ...adding 10 and 10 and hoping to get 4 ;)

@FKA & scrax: Please replace your acpi/patcher.h with the attached copy and tell me what you see (debug output) but I only need 3 lines of it. Starting with this one: "FACP table patching...".

Thank you for testing this!

Afternoon DHP

No change I'm afraid. If I don't clear caches prior to boot I get an instant freeze just before AppleACPI loads

If I clear caches FackeSMC isn't loaded. Have tried with FakeSMC as Extensions.mkext in Extra and in Extra/Extensions.

post-275122-1299256422_thumb.jpg

post-275122-1299256445_thumb.jpg

post-275122-1299256467_thumb.jpg

post-275122-1299256489_thumb.jpg

Note - ACPI Base address has changed because I flashed to a more recent BIOS revision last night. And yes I have generated a new DSDT and static DSDT data accordingly.

Got to go out. Maybe pick this up later.

Cheers

D

Oh just a screen capture of finder showing 169 copies of boot.h No wonder I got lost.

Attaching a pic here is no problem?

Did you expect something else perhaps? For that to hapen you have to wait for tomorrow.

What, like a disc image? Lol

Here's a good one: Someone should go read this and think about it for a minute or two.

the big crab has found itself a new shell to live in.. maybe we just have to find it?

The first thing I did was to change our template (settings.h) a bit for Revolution 6.47 The new additions are:

1.) DEBUG_DRIVERS.

2.) TARGET_OS (SNOW_LEOPARD / LION).

3.) DEBUG_EFI (for Lion).

That's a promising start :)

That plus a few extra comments. I also changed libsaio/bootstruct.h in a way so that you can compile Revolution for either Snow Leopard or Lion. The latter without actually having the developers preview of Xcode 4 installed (and thus no need for SDK 10.7 for Lion).

Good thinking as that's difficult to find anywhere.

Also changed are platform.h and platform.h (a little) to get prepared for the next OS X upgrade, which I presume will be a lot of work.

Two platform.h's? but yes, it's time to roll the sleeves up and get down and dirty..

If I can do anything to help testing then just say the word.

Would be cool to also solve the boot problems for scrax and FKA but if that doesn't happen soon, then I will have move it on to the next update.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions to offer scrax and FKA as they seem to have done as I have.. My fingers are crossed for them though.

With 647, Snow Leopard boots just fine so there's nothing broken.

For Lion tests, I get the Double fault and Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary as I've been reading about elsewhere.

I've set up a new USB for testing, but this time

• using the mach_kernel from 10.7

• the com.apple.Boot.plist has the UUID of my lion partition, along with TargetOSVersion 10.7.0.

• using the kernelcahce from Lion to USB/S*/L*/C*/c*/D*/Startup

settings.h has the usual settings I use for Snow Leopard with the following extras:

• #define EFI_DEBUG_MODE 1

• #define TARGET_OS LION

and I also kept #define PRE_LINKED_KERNEL_SUPPORT enabled

The most notable differences I see in the boot verbose debug are:

gPlatform.OSType: 3
gPlatform.OSVersion: 10.7
Pre-linked kernel not found, will load mach_kernel  (because lion kernelcache has no adler32?)
Calling loadDrivers()
shouldLoadMkext: true

loadMultiKext: /System/Library/Caches/co.apple.kext.caches/Startup/
loadMultiKext(File Not Found Error: -1)		 (I couldn't find Lion's Extenions.mkext  to add?)

LoadMultiKext: /Extra/
loadMultiKext(File Not Found Error: -1)		(I didn't put any kexts in my USB/Extra/Extensions!)
gKextLoadStatus: 0
gKextLoadStatus != 3
Calling loadKexts("/Extra/Extensions");
0b

Calling loadKexts("/System/Library/Extensions");
0b

Everything else in the debug is the same as I have previously with Snow Leopard.

If you want me to post the full list of screenshots then I will.

I hope this helps. Well done and keep up the good work :)

EDIT:

Tried again but this time with FakeSMC.kext in /Extra/Extensions

and I now see:

gKextLoadStatus != 3
Calling loadKexts("/Extra/Extensions");
0+.R0b0b

and the KP doesn't read double fault, but still reads Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary

post-331032-1299319982_thumb.jpg

Thanks. And please do so because this is not like it should be:

Calling loadKexts("/System/Library/Extensions");
0b

It should load like 172 kexts and thus fill up almost a whole screen with 'garbage' hokus pokus stuff (when you boot with -x).

Good morning Lady and Gentlemen

647 works magnificently in SL. I have the same settings as BlackOSX in settings.h and can report same findings with Lion but without the ACPI error. Great debugging skills DHP, thanks for sharing them as we can all learn as we go along.

It should load like 172 kexts and thus fill up almost a whole screen with 'garbage' hokus pokus stuff (when you boot with -x).

So you have the kexts loading? cool.

and can report same findings with Lion but without the ACPI error.

Hi dgsga - good to see you here at the party. So no ACPI error for you? it's just me then... :)

@DHP - still no go here.. I tried adding the Extensions.mkext from the Mac OS X Base System to the USB but it booter didn't pick it up. I've got to pop out for a few hours. Sorry to leave now but that's life... looking forward to trying this again..

BTW. Revolution loads /Extra/Extensions.mkext and with DEBUG_BOOT set to 1 it dumps:

loadMultiKext(2) OK.

or

loadKexts(2) OK.

when it fails to load the MKext. Do you even see these?

Same kind of deal with the system MKext but then we use 1 instead of 2. Hope this help to track down this bug.

I was planning on uploading a nice image, but what's the best place to do this? You cannot, apparently, do that here. That is pants.

Hi Dutch

I've had Debug Boot set to 1 bu haven't been posting the pics.

I must admit I hadn't set permissions on Extra so have just regenerated mkext and done this (Bit rusty but I assume chmod -R 755 etc .. and root:wheel is correct for Extra on / .) but still no joy.

Here's boot debug:

post-275122-1299332037_thumb.jpg

P.S. Not tired release 647 yet, will to tonight.

D

@DHP - I was just about to send this image as part of my report when I noticed a typo on my com.apple.kext.caches folder!!! ..

post-331032-1299336990_thumb.jpg

I've fixed it and am going to try rebooting now...

EDIT:

Well that fixes the loading of the Extensions.mkext :)

post-331032-1299337991_thumb.jpg

But I end up with the double_fault KP.

post-331032-1299338024_thumb.jpg

EDIT2

Just re-done it with also including /Extra/Extensions.mkext so I know it's loading FakeSMC

post-331032-1299338564_thumb.jpg

Again I end with the double_fault KP

@DHP - I was just about to send this image as part of my report when I noticed a typo on my com.apple.kext.caches folder!!! ..

EDIT:

post-331032-1299337991_thumb.jpg

But I still end up with the double_fault KP.

post-331032-1299338024_thumb.jpg

Exactly the same result here, BlackOSX, I think some of DHP's magic is required!

Exactly the same result here, BlackOSX, I think some of DHP's magic is required!

Yeah. But it's strange she's loading from /System/Library/Extensions and we can't?

post-331032-1299339205_thumb.jpg

And what does this no kext summary message mean in the KP? is the kernel expecting to find a summary of the kexts from somewhere? And what form does this summary come in?

Maybe looking at my running Lion system booted from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] might help?

EDIT:

Hi blackosx

EDit - I realise you're playing with Lion - but

your Extensions.mkext in /Extra, does that just contain FakeSMC.kext?

D

Hi FKA

For my Lion testing here, my /Extra/Extensions.mkext contains FakeSMC and Voodoomonitor.kext. I have those two in it just because I have them in /S/L/E in Lion and they work just fine there. And when I finally get Revolution to load from my Lion /S/L/E then I will remove the /Extra/Extensions.mkext.

But when booting Snow Leopard with Revolution I used to have a few more kexts in /Extra/Extensions.mkext. They were mainly a disabler for the AppleUpstreamClient, and the fakeSMC plugins for monitoring temps, fan speeds etc. I say used to as once I'd got round to building a pre-linked kernel containing all my required kexts then /Extra is no longer required on the boot media.

p.s. You have a good camera, as your debug photos are crystal clear. :)

Hi FKA

For my Lion testing here, my /Extra/Extensions.mkext contains FakeSMC and Voodoomonitor.kext. I have those two in it just because I have them in /S/L/E in Lion and they work just fine there.

But when booting Snow Leopard with Revolution I used to have a few more kexts in /Extra/Extensions.mkext. They were mainly a disabler for the AppleUpstreamClient, and the fakeSMC plugins for monitoring temps, fan speeds etc. I say used to as once I'd got round to building a pre-linked kernel containing all my required kexts then /Extra is no longer required on the boot media.

p.s. You have a good camera, as your debug photos are crystal clear. :)

Thanks - Just checking there wasn't something odd going on, like I needed to have a complete system mkext in /Extra or similar.

Cheers

D

Maybe looking at my running Lion system booted from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] might help?

I've been comparing the ioreg's on my rig SL vs Lion (via the extremely closed-source [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]), and in the efi section the only diff is a 'kernel compatibility' branch, I can't imagine this could be anything to do with it.

I'll keep looking...

No. Not really. I would say spent it on a book or music. That will be far more fun. Lion is around the corner anyways so you would be paying just to play with it for a couple of months. I tell you. A book, or a new (Apple) mouse / keyboard is probably a lot more fun. Won't get you upset when things don't seem to work, after spending dozens of hours, when in fact you could have used the same amount of time to relax and enjoyed a good bit of music. Well. If that is your thing, but what do I know :wub:

Ok I will save it up to get a decent sized X2 PCI express card :)

Have not tested 647 yet, but am sure it will work for me. 1st I want to set-up a second test pc to work on the boot sound and also clean out this main Hack of all the :) I have on here. Also the sun is out so my RC hobby get more time atm :)