How to boost the OS X boot process...

1,027 posts in this topic

Hi All

Thought for the day:

Being 'right' is the cause of more conflict than anything else.....

@FKA

I do indeed have a RAID0 setup which works but mine is a hardware raid with 2 drives attached to a RAID controller card. This means that one drive shows up in OSX on which I can install revolution as though it were a single physical drive. I don't have any Apple software RAID helper partitions that I need to install on, so my setup might be different to yours. As far as I know the revolution code no longer contains any searches for drivers on helper partitions so I don't think it would work on a software RAID setup. I can heartily recommend a RAID card, especially as Highpoint ones are natively supported by Snow Leopard and they're much cheaper than they used to be. Unfortunately there are some compatibility issues with some mobo's so it's a case of try it and see. I've been running on a Rocketraid 2300 for over 2 years, and i must say I'm very happy with it. A certain auction site often has bargains with these.

Sorry I haven't been here much recently, as far as versioning goes the only thing I struggle with is which patches to apply when I've been away for a few days. So I tend to take the easy way out and wait for full releases before I test and feedback.

@FKA

I do indeed have a RAID0 setup which works but mine is a hardware raid with 2 drives attached to a RAID controller card. This means that one drive shows up in OSX on which I can install revolution as though it were a single physical drive. I don't have any Apple software RAID helper partitions that I need to install on, so my setup might be different to yours. As far as I know the revolution code no longer contains any searches for drivers on helper partitions so I don't think it would work on a software RAID setup. I can heartily recommend a RAID card, especially as Highpoint ones are natively supported by Snow Leopard and they're much cheaper than they used to be. Unfortunately there are some compatibility issues with some mobo's so it's a case of try it and see. I've been running on a Rocketraid 2300 for over 2 years, and i must say I'm very happy with it. A certain auction site often has bargains with these.

Sorry I haven't been here much recently, as far as versioning goes the only thing I struggle with is which patches to apply when I've been away for a few days. So I tend to take the easy way out and wait for full releases before I test and feedback.

Thanks dgsga - I've considered highpoint before. I believe my unused onboard sil RAID has OSX support. I'll look into it.

D

I still think that it is disk IO related since it happens on your USB-stick only, which is of course a lot slower.

Cool. And hopefully quick so that we can close this issue as resolved.

I think you're right...

and I guess we can call it closed.

@blackos: Please concentrate on the following code snippet in boot.c (stripped from comments and debug dumps to make it shorter / more readable):

Note: Loading the mach_kernel/pre-linked kernel and/or drivers can take a while.

After looking at this for too long now, it's as you say, loading the kernel and drivers takes time which I guess is normal. With debugs added at almost every stage of this last part, I don't see anything erroneous so I'm stopping now before I go insane.

This all started when I was doing some speed tests and I'd referred back to a previous post of mine where I'd claimed seeing the throbber after 9.9 seconds of selecting my USB from the BIOS. I've come to the thinking that my post then was wrong and I never did have that time for USB. Especially as a few posts earlier that I had posted that it takes a long time.

Hi All

Just wanted to say I've managed my first boot with Revolution!!

I have to say all looks absolutely spot on so far - I just need to work on shutdown / restart.

I'll be happy to test on my RAID0 install when there's support.

Huge decrease of boot time, I've gone from nearly 26 turns to 10!

Massive thank you to all involved. Dutch' you are quite something!

And a huge thanks to BlackOSX and STLVNUB, cos there is no way I would have had time to catch up with this without your killer script!

Be seeing you! :)

Hi FKA.. :)

Great to hear you've booted from this, well done.

And you're welcome with the tool which I hope it can be improved greatly in time. Any feedback is appreciated.

Early night for me as I had an early start today. Speak tomorrow.

(DB1 @ Feb 21 2011, 08:57 PM)

Yeah noticed the plural, and the attached file sorted out compile issue. And testing cpu, smbios, and memory dynamic same System profiler/memory message as before. With cpu, smbios dynamic and memory static same result. In both cases about this mac correct. Final test all static is fine.

Hi DB1,

So you're ready for the next update. Cool.

Perhaps you may have misunderstood or I was not clearly expressing what I meant by "System profiler/memory message as before" & "same result" What I meant was in both cases I saw "There was an error while gathering this information" in About This Mac/More info/Memory (as i had on previous tests before). But in About This Mac info correct and with static all everything as it should be.

Dynamic detection of ram since these latest changes doesn't work for me (and only partially did before static override).

Maybe not ready for next update! Or does the next update fix this?

Catch up tomorrow.

That is correct, but only because I was told that we don't need it.

It is something I use. And as I'm about to fork out on a new MacBookPro I could do without the cost of a highpoint card!

Anywho - I have a few questions/ issues:

Debug text is "tilled" across my monitor and too small to read. All other text/ GFx (verbose included.) is fine?

How do I find ACPI base address? - any method I can fine in this thread is either not relevant to the current project or is not immediately visible in my CPI table. In ACPI table i can see is "Local Apic Address " I've tried this address and its a no boot!

Linked to above:- I can't get restart / shutdown working. I presumed using:

#define STATIC_FACS_TABLE_INJECTION 1

would have done it as my FACS table was extracted with ProjectRevolution script with the restart fix?

Also tried adding FACS.aml to /Extra/ACPI but no go there either.

EDIT - Also with either having DSDT in Extra/ACPI (with correct switch in settings.h) or using static data I get SMBUS and CST errors at boot both are edits to my DSDT.

Again i thought as this infoo is in data.h it would be used?

Any help appreciated.

D

Anywho - I have a few questions/ issues:

How do I find ACPI base address? - any method I can fine in this thread is either not relevant to the current project or is not immediately visible in my CPI table. In ACPI table i can see is "Local Apic Address " I've tried this address and its a no boot!

You can get ACPI base address by setting i386/Config/Settings.h:

#define DEBUG_ACPI 0 // Set to 0 by default. Use 1 when things don't seem to work for you.

Set this to 1.

As for the FACS, have not used that so cannot offer any assistance.

You can get ACPI base address by setting i386/Config/Settings.h:

#define DEBUG_ACPI 0 // Set to 0 by default. Use 1 when things don't seem to work for you.

Set this to 1.

As for the FACS, have not used that so cannot offer any assistance.

Thanks DB1. problem is I can't see the debug info at boot as it's tiled across the screen and unreadable - I presume any value shown from #define DEBUG_ACPI 1 will be shown at boot in debug text? or is it written to file somewhere?

D

Good morning dutchhockeypro.

Sorry for the delay in posting this morning but I've been putting my HDD's and USB sticks back in order after all my messing about yesterday. Which reminds me...

To anybody who has the last couple of ProjectRevolution packages I've posted in the last few days - please don't use the Prep or MakeMedia options as I think I've messed them up. EDIT: I've now removed the uploads for them.

Back to now.. The latest release boots just fine for me. I unfortunately haven't had that much time to discover the new additions though I have to report the same error as I see DB1 has been reporting with System Profiler/Memory

post-331032-1298363401_thumb.png

This happens if #define OVERRIDE_DYNAMIC_MEMORY_DETECTION is set to 0 or 1.

I normally use my static SMBIOS data collected from a Chameleon booted system so I haven't noticed it before.

For ref: I also had this error in the past when Rekursor was going through adding memory injection with Chameleon. See here.

But well done with the release and I'll play with it more when I get more time.

Hi DHP & co.

Here's my findings so far on 645:

(Configured with dynamic all except override of Dynamic Product Detection (set to MBP), and EFI/DP injection).

-CPU Freq shows 800MHz not 1600. (Core2Solo).

-Like Bloackosx, no memory info in SysProf.

(Stuff is in "About This Mac" where size is correct but Speed is perhaps wrong).

Other than that, seems nice.

Note: Different SMBIOS DMI Structure Count of 9, seems is now seeing & including OEM Proc Type and Speed tables. (When I run latest smbios2struct. So I guess means Revo's smbios stuff is adding this extra bits from BIOS when doing dynamic boot).

Note: FWIW, never did sort out in my head what's going on with platform UUID shown vs one put in settings.h, and why different !!

And good morning to you FKA,

Please don't get me wrong here. I meant that I was told that we don't need the extra lines (of source code). Not that nobody would need a (software) RAID setup. I can totally understand that, and if it doesn't work... we have to make it work. Simple huh?

Good afternoon DHP.

I've tested a build with EFI partition support on my RAID and it's a no go, even if I use

rd=uuid boot-uuid=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in boot.plist

Would be great if your booter did have software RAID support :)

All in all... it appears that the ACPI patcher isn't working. Start by enabling the debug directives (in config/settings.h) and see what happens. Something must be wrong.

Seems all is good with Rev645. No CST SMBUs errors, shutdown + restart working!

Now I'm not sure if this is down to a mistake of mine (I inadvertently transfared boot1h to rdiskxs1 on my test GUID HDD - currently CCC'ing back to the drive.) and this may also be the problem with themessed up debug text. But rev645 will boot once just fine but on shutdown/ restart the next boot give a KP relating to AppleACPI .. Subsequent reboots also give the same KP!

I only get Revolution to boot again after booting into my main RAID install first!

I'll report back once I've a fresh install to play with.

p.s. Wasn't you the one who took off a lot of revs from the boot spinner? What happened?

Yep my RAID install gives between 20 and 23 turns. Revolution on a single HDD gives me (so far) between 10 and 13 turns!!

Be seeing you.

D

Setting OVERRIDE_DYNAMIC_MEMORY_DETECTION to 0 produces the same error here on the HP, because the BIOS doesn't seem to detect the RAM modules properly – and thus I need to use the static overrides – but on my new desktop hack the RAM modules are detected by the UEFI BIOS itself and thus I can use 0 instead. Reducing the boot loader even further as the code and overrides won't get included anymore.

I read correct UEFI BIOS, may I ask what MotherBoard you have?

Ok I've fixed the debug text. As presumed it was down to having transferred boot1h to both diskxs1 and xs2 partitions!

I've seen this mess up the GUI on Chameleon when I've made this error before!

Another schoolboy error - I read my MoBo had ACPI2.0 support so I've been setting #define ACPI_10_SUPPORT 0

ACPI2.0 support it turns out is NOT ACPI2.0 hence my static ACPI tables not being read!

I'm still not entirely sure what was causing the AppleACPI KP but with the bellow settings I'm stable:

#define ACPI_10_SUPPORT	1

#define PATCH_ACPI_TABLE_DATA	1

#define USE_STATIC_ACPI_BASE_ADDRESS	0

#define STATIC_APIC_TABLE_INJECTION	1

#define STATIC_APIC2_TABLE_INJECTION	0

#define STATIC_DSDT_TABLE_INJECTION	1

#define STATIC_ECDS_TABLE_INJECTION	0

#define STATIC_FACS_TABLE_INJECTION	1

#define STATIC_HPET_TABLE_INJECTION	1

#define STATIC_SSDT_GPU_TABLE_INJECTION	0

#define STATIC_SSDT_PR_TABLE_INJECTION	0

#define STATIC_SSDT_SATA_TABLE_INJECTION	0

#define STATIC_SSDT_USB_TABLE_INJECTION	0

#define LOAD_DSDT_TABLE_FROM_EXTRA_ACPI	0

#define LOAD_SSDT_TABLE_FROM_EXTRA_ACPI	0

#define LOAD_EXTRA_ACPI_TABLES	(LOAD_DSDT_TABLE_FROM_EXTRA_ACPI || LOAD_SSDT_TABLE_FROM_EXTRA_ACPI)

#define DROP_SSDT_TABLES	0

#define REPLACE_EXISTING_SSDT_TABLES	0

#define APPLE_STYLE_ACPI	1

#define DEBUG_ACPI	1

#if USE_STATIC_ACPI_BASE_ADDRESS
#define	STATIC_ACPI_BASE_ADDRESS		0x0000000
#endif

// -------------------------------------------------------------------- BOOT.C ------------------------------------------------------------------

#define PRE_LINKED_KERNEL_SUPPORT	0

#define MUST_ENABLE_A20	0

#define SAFE_MALLOC	0

#define DEBUG_BOOT	1
// -------------------------------------------------------------------- CPU.C -------------------------------------------------------------------

#define USE_STATIC_CPU_DATA	0

#define CPU_VENDOR_ID	CPU_VENDOR_INTEL // CPU_VENDOR_AMD

#define DEBUG_CPU	1
// -------------------------------------------------------------- CPU/STATIC_DATA.C -------------------------------------------------------------

#define STATIC_CPU_Vendor	CPU_VENDOR_ID

#define STATIC_CPU_Signature	0

#define STATIC_CPU_Stepping	0

#define STATIC_CPU_Model	0

#define STATIC_CPU_Family	0

#define STATIC_CPU_ExtModel	0

#define STATIC_CPU_ExtFamily	0

#define STATIC_CPU_Type	0

#define STATIC_CPU_NumCores	0

#define STATIC_CPU_NumThreads	0

#define STATIC_CPU_Features	0

#define STATIC_CPU_CurrCoef	0

#define STATIC_CPU_MaxCoef	0

#define STATIC_CPU_CurrDiv	0

#define STATIC_CPU_MaxDiv	0

#define STATIC_CPU_TSCFrequency	0

#define STATIC_CPU_FSBFrequency	0

#define STATIC_CPU_CPUFrequency	0

#define STATIC_CPU_QPISpeed	0
// -------------------------------------------------------------------- DISK.C ------------------------------------------------------------------

#define EFI_BOOT_PARTITION_SUPPORT	0

#define LEGACY_BIOS_READ_SUPPORT	0

#define DEBUG_DISK	1
// -------------------------------------------------------------------- EFI.C -------------------------------------------------------------------

#define APPLE_STYLE_EFI	1

#define INJECT_EFI_DEVICE_PROPERTIES	1

#define EFI_64_BIT	1

#define DEBUG_EFI	1

#define STATIC_MODEL_NAME	{ 'i', 'M', 'a', 'c', '9', ',', '1' }

#define STATIC_SMSERIALNUMBER	"W87234JHYA4"

#define STATIC_SYSTEM_SERIAL_NUMBER	{ 'W', '8', '7', '2', '3', '4', 'J', 'H', 'Y', 'A', '4' }

#define STATIC_SYSTEM_ID	{ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx }
// ------------------------------------------------------------------ GRAPHICS.C ----------------------------------------------------------------

#define STATIC_SCREEN_WIDTH	1920

#define STATIC_SCREEN_HEIGHT	1080
// ------------------------------------------------------------------- SMBIOS.C -----------------------------------------------------------------

#define USE_STATIC_SMBIOS_DATA	1

#define DEBUG_SMBIOS	1
// ------------------------------------------------------------------ PLATFORM.C ----------------------------------------------------------------

#define DEBUG_PLATFORM	1

#define STATIC_MAC_PRODUCT_NAME	"iMac9,1"

#if USE_STATIC_SMBIOS_DATA
// Do nothing.
#else
// Setup RAM module info.
#define STATIC_RAM_VENDORS				{ "N/A", "Vendor#2", "N/A", "Vendor#4", '\0' }

#define SMB_MEM_TYPE_DDR2				19
#define SMB_MEM_TYPE_FBDIMM				20
#define SMB_MEM_TYPE_DDR3				24

#define STATIC_RAM_TYPE					SMB_MEM_TYPE_DDR3

#define STATIC_RAM_SPEED				1066

#define STATIC_RAM_PART_NUMBERS			{ "N/A", "Part#2", "N/A", "Part#4", 0 }

#define STATIC_RAM_SERIAL_NUMBERS		{ "N/A", "Serial#2", "N/A", "Serial#4", 0 }
#endif

One problem is on wake from sleep the system restarts. I am using an early BIOS revision as it is the only one that allows sleep with Chameleon, so I'll try flashing a newer BIOS see if that helps.

Ok Quick reboot and I'll post that debug info for you.

D

Some BIOS developers are full of... ehm jokes?

LOL

Are you using the latest release? If yes, then please make the required changes to config/settings.h See included file/templates.

I am using your latest and relevant changes have been made. As I said I think my system is now stable (bar sleep) and all dynamic and static data is correct and working OK.

I'm not particular good with DSDT coding, but I think to have read about this in the P5K PRO thread where MC made changes to the... checking.... _WAK and _PTS methods

I'm sure I'll work it out.

OK below are pics of debug booting from my RAID with and without rd=uuid boot-uuid=xxxxxxx

post-275122-1298393480_thumb.jpg

post-275122-1298393515_thumb.jpg

Enjoy your food! Now I've got to do some housework before I get shouted at :thumbsup_anim: !

D

One problem is on wake from sleep the system restarts. I am using an early BIOS revision as it is the only one that allows sleep with Chameleon, so I'll try flashing a newer BIOS see if that helps.

Hi FKA

Try changing #define STATIC_FACS_TABLE_INJECTION to 0 as my system reboots when waking from sleep with it set to 1. The FACS issue is an on-going one and I think you had it enabled as RevStart did it for you.

@blackosx

May have to look at using this settings_template.h and manipulate the data on it and save as settings.h.

Also backup should probably be timestamped e.g settings_230220110242.h instead of settings.backup.

I'll send you my latest Revstart shortly

I chose to write a new settings.h as it looked easier that manipulating an existing file. However, if you have the knowledge to do that then please go ahead.

I look forward to seeing your latest RevStart as the ones I had been tweaking were done hap-hazardly, without really sitting down and reading the total script to understand it completely. Therefore I pulled those versions and this morning started slowly re-working an older version to get it how I feel it should be. The main thing I'm concentrating on is adding decent instructions in to the script for the user to explain what items are, why they're needed and how they go about using the script etc.

I hope to have found the problem already. May need a different kind of configure in config/settings.h

Swift work DHP. Well done. Let me know when you want something tested :o

Hi blackosx,

Good so see you picked up the new directive (OVERRIDE_DYNAMIC_MEMORY_DETECTION) but you now also have to set STATIC_RAM_SLOTS to the number of onboard slots, and fill the STATIC_RAM_XXX settings accordantly.

The included template file (data/settings.h) however only has two RAM banks setup, which is what I used for testing with the HP, but you probably need 4 so you'll have to do some work there.

Setting OVERRIDE_DYNAMIC_MEMORY_DETECTION to 0 produces the same error here on the HP, because the BIOS doesn't seem to detect the RAM modules properly – and thus I need to use the static overrides – but on my new desktop hack the RAM modules are detected by the UEFI BIOS itself and thus I can use 0 instead. Reducing the boot loader even further as the code and overrides won't get included anymore.

If you think to have everything setup properly, but it fails anyway, then please enable RAM debug dumps (NEW) by setting DEBUG_PLATFORM to 1 and check the number / data of the static module info and let me know how your PLATFORM.C looks when you can't get it going.

I'll be testing this myself now (just back from giving a hockey clinic) and fake the number of modules. Let's see what, if anything, we can improve here...

Okay. Had my shower so let's fix this thing. First. The debug output of in smbios/dynamic_data.h has been improved – shows the used values – and thus setting SMBIOS_DEBUG to 1 might be a smart thing to do. I did. All ok here.

Update:

Hmm. I think that the text: "// Use N/A for empty RAM banks." in config/settings.h is misleading because when you have say 4 slots and use that as a static vendor, then you will get the error. I guess we should use something like: "empty" or something like that. Or I should change platform.c and let it use something else as a check.

In short: People using "N/A" to mark a slot as empty should use "N/a", "n/a" or something else.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. That gives me a few things to test. I'll report back after I have found time to try it.

Note: When this doesn't work for you, then I need the output of diskutil list plus a more detailed one of partition 3 which is disk0s3 I guess (verify me). And also the updated debug output.

Thanks for the quick response DHP.

/dev/disk0
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk0
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:                 Apple_RAID                         319.7 GB   disk0s2
  3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OSX                134.2 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
  0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk1
  1:               Windows_NTFS Windows 7 Boot         104.9 MB   disk1s1
  2:               Windows_NTFS Windows 7 x64          250.0 GB   disk1s2
/dev/disk2
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk2
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
  2:                 Apple_RAID                         319.7 GB   disk2s2
  3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OSX                134.2 MB   disk2s3
/dev/disk3
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk3
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk3s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS OS X Backup             249.7 GB   disk3s2
/dev/disk4
  0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh RAID         *639.5 GB   disk4
/dev/disk6
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk6
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk6s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS 1TB RAID                999.9 GB   disk6s2

Please note the 2 RAID0 disks are 0and 1 in BIOS but tend to move around in OSX.

Device Identifier:        disk0s3
  Device Node:              /dev/disk0s3
  Part Of Whole:            disk0
  Device / Media Name:      Booter 0x650540f6

Volume Name:              Boot OSX
  Escaped with Unicode:     Boot%FF%FE%20%00OSX

Mounted:                  No

File System:              None

Partition Type:           Apple_Boot
  Bootable:                 Is bootable
  Media Type:               Generic
  Protocol:                 SATA
  SMART Status:             Verified
  Volume UUID:              6EFFD251-6A26-3BFE-BA86-CE4F310C6B6A

Total Size:               134.2 MB (134217728 Bytes) (exactly 262144 512-Byte-Blocks)
  Volume Free Space:        Not Applicable

Read-Only Media:          No
  Read-Only Volume:         Not applicable (no filesystem)
  Ejectable:                No

Whole:                    No
  Internal:                 Yes

EDIT - here's info for the RAID Volume, as you can see it's disk3 with this boot as apposed to disk4 previously:

Device Identifier:        disk3
  Device Node:              /dev/disk3
  Part Of Whole:            disk3
  Device / Media Name:      Macintosh RAID

Volume Name:              Macintosh RAID
  Escaped with Unicode:     Macintosh%FF%FE%20%00RAID

Mounted:                  Yes
  Mount Point:              /
  Escaped with Unicode:     /

File System:              Journaled HFS+
  Type:                     hfs
  Name:                     Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  Journal:                  Journal size 49152 KB at offset 0x129f000
  Owners:                   Enabled

Partition Type:           Apple_HFS
  Bootable:                 Is bootable
  Media Type:               Generic
  Protocol:                 SATA
  SMART Status:             Not Supported
  Volume UUID:              xxxxxxxxxxxSame as RAID Set UUIDxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Total Size:               639.5 GB (639455723520 Bytes) (exactly 1248936960 512-Byte-Blocks)
  Volume Free Space:        530.7 GB (530658828288 Bytes) (exactly 1036443024 512-Byte-Blocks)

Read-Only Media:          No
  Read-Only Volume:         No
  Ejectable:                No

Whole:                    Yes
  Internal:                 Yes
  OS 9 Drivers:             No
  Low Level Format:         Not Supported

This disk is a RAID Set.  RAID Set Information:
     Set Name:          Macintosh RAID
     RAID Set UUID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxSame as Volume UUID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     Level Type:        Stripe
     Chunk Count:       19514640

post-275122-1298407151_thumb.jpg

post-275122-1298407188_thumb.jpg

Looks like it's finding the Volume UUID as apposed to the RAID's UUID.

D

Hi FKA

Try changing #define STATIC_FACS_TABLE_INJECTION to 0 as my system reboots when waking from sleep with it set to 1. The FACS issue is an on-going one and I think you had it enabled as RevStart did it for you.

Seems to do the trick! thanks very much BlackOSX

:shock:

you mean change to updateEFITree(rootRAID-UUID);?

If so it doesn't compile.

-MD -dependency-file /Users/Dave/project/ProjectRevolution_1.7b83_blackosx/Revolution-Release/obj/i386/boot2/boot.d
boot.c: In function ‘boot’:
boot.c:330: error: ‘rootRAID’ undeclared (first use in this function)
boot.c:330: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
boot.c:330: error: for each function it appears in.)
boot.c:330: error: ‘UUID’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [boot.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

D

No. Just replace the variable called rootUUID there with a hard coded value. The one you used to have, or still have, in com.apple.Boot.plist giving you something like:

updateEFITree("XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX");

Doh!

It boots but as per debug text it's not finding c.a.b.p. It is in L/P/S.

Hence not seeing my "-v" kernel flag!

post-275122-1298419866_thumb.jpg

post-275122-1298419892_thumb.jpg

EDIT - it's reading Extra/Extensions.mkext off the boot helper partition OK

Cheers

D

Looks like it's finding the Volume UUID as apposed to the RAID's UUID.

Of course it is 'cos that's the UUID of the Volume the boot helper partition is on !!

EDIT - maybe that's the problem with c.a.b.p as it's looking at the Volume UUID of the drive with the helper partition rather than RAID UUID?

EDIT - "Booting from a System Volume, getting UUID"

Bellow the UUID listed is that of one of the drive pair that make my RAID!

D

And is that with or without the change in the source code change?

with RAID UUID added.

So to recap: It loads the kernel and both mkexts from the helper partition but not com.apple.Boot.plist

I have no idea why but maybe in a few hours from now... who knows :angel:

I'm too tired so I have to get back on this later today. Sleep first. Good night all.

that is so. just checking I've not done anything silly.

EDIT - On each helper partition is /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

That didn't contain c.a.b.p or anything else, (I thought this would have been updated from / ?) so I added and it is being taken from there.

I PM you a link for the entire helper partition contents with the c.a.b.p I have added.

Take care

D

Thanks for the detailed explanation. That gives me a few things to test. I'll report back after I have found time to try it.

Morning all.

I didn't turn my machine on last night but this morning I'm back on it. First thing I tested was the static memory in settings.h and thanks for your description DHP as I can report it works great, I have my System Profiler/Memory section populated again now. So now I'm no longer using USE_STATIC_SMBIOS_DATA.

Seems to do the trick! thanks very much BlackOSX

Happy to help -_- Thanks for the confirmation.

@DHP - I would like to raise again my issue with not being able to automatically boot the OS X installation on HDD 1 from HDD 0? only from USB. This problem still exists here as post #1065 and #1079.

Thank you for this confirmation. Was wondering about it. Why nobody confirmed it so thank again. And as a reminder; using static SMBIOS data will always be faster.

No problem. I'll always test when I can.

And yes, I meant to say that I'm no longer using Static SMBIOS for now. I'll go back to using it properly later.

Oh. I thought that this was resolved, but that was the long delay only. Oops. Sorry. Will have another look at it.

Yes. Sorry, my concentration on the delay (I thought I had), took my eye off that issue. If you do find anything then that'll be very good news.

I should be able, with a little luck that is, to finish the new SMBIOS patcher today. Yah!

Wow..this is exciting.

Did you ever have a look at the one that Kabyl was working on?

p.s. I wish it was tomorrow already. I'm so exited about the news of tomorrow. This day can't go by fast enough -_-

What can that be?... care to share?

@DB1 - You're using the Advent 4211?

@Humph - you are using a netbook too?

Can I ask how you are both getting on with them and are they pretty much fully supported? Just as I'm thinking about maybe getting something similar as a friend showed me yesterday his Dell Mini 10v running 10.6.6 which made me think I could use a little portable machine like that. However, the trackpad was pants so I'm just doing some searching around for a decent, cheap netbook which runs OS X well.

Thanks.

Hi all, I'm still here around but my problems are stiil with me too

I have tested 645 and I have no more hang at kernel loading but instead I have a KP related to no ACPI driver found

ACPI patcher debug looks ok.

Now I'll post some photos

post-464373-1298477247_thumb.jpg

post-464373-1298477256_thumb.jpg

post-464373-1298477271_thumb.jpg

post-464373-1298477285_thumb.jpg

Settings (some leaved as defaults not posted):

ACPI.C
#define ACPI_10_SUPPORT						0
#define PATCH_ACPI_TABLE_DATA				1
#define USE_STATIC_ACPI_BASE_ADDRESS		1
#define STATIC_APIC_TABLE_INJECTION			0
#define STATIC_APIC2_TABLE_INJECTION			0
#define STATIC_DSDT_TABLE_INJECTION			1
#define STATIC_ECDS_TABLE_INJECTION			0
#define STATIC_FACS_TABLE_INJECTION			0
#define STATIC_HPET_TABLE_INJECTION			0
#define STATIC_SSDT_TABLE_INJECTION			1
#define STATIC_SSDT_GPU_TABLE_INJECTION		0
#define STATIC_SSDT_PR_TABLE_INJECTION		0
#define STATIC_SSDT_SATA_TABLE_INJECTION		0
#define STATIC_SSDT_USB_TABLE_INJECTION		0
#define LOAD_DSDT_TABLE_FROM_EXTRA_ACPI		0
#define LOAD_SSDT_TABLE_FROM_EXTRA_ACPI		0
#define LOAD_EXTRA_ACPI_TABLES				
#define DROP_SSDT_TABLES					1
#define REPLACE_EXISTING_SSDT_TABLES			0
#define	APPLE_STYLE_ACPI					1
#define DEBUG_ACPI							1
#define	STATIC_ACPI_BASE_ADDRESS		0x000f7d40
BOOT.C
#define PRE_LINKED_KERNEL_SUPPORT			0
#define MUST_ENABLE_A20					0
#define SAFE_MALLOC						0
#define DEBUG_BOOT						1
CPU.C 
#define USE_STATIC_CPU_DATA					0	
#define CPU_VENDOR_ID						CPU_VENDOR_INTEL
#define DEBUG_CPU							1
CPU/STATIC_DATA.C 
#define STATIC_CPU_Vendor					CPU_VENDOR_ID
#define STATIC_CPU_Signature					0x10677
#define STATIC_CPU_Stepping					7
#define STATIC_CPU_Model					CPU_MODEL_PENRYN
#define STATIC_CPU_Family					6
#define STATIC_CPU_ExtModel					0
#define STATIC_CPU_ExtFamily					0
#define STATIC_CPU_Type						0x501
#define STATIC_CPU_NumCores					4
#define STATIC_CPU_NumThreads				4
#define STATIC_CPU_Features					0xbffbfbff
#define STATIC_CPU_CurrCoef					7
#define STATIC_CPU_MaxCoef					7
#define STATIC_CPU_CurrDiv					1
#define STATIC_CPU_MaxDiv					1
#define STATIC_CPU_TSCFrequency				2500000000ULL
#define STATIC_CPU_FSBFrequency				333333333ULL
#define STATIC_CPU_CPUFrequency				2500000000ULL
#define STATIC_CPU_QPISpeed					0
DISK.C
#define EFI_BOOT_PARTITION_SUPPORT			0
#define LEGACY_BIOS_READ_SUPPORT			0
#define DEBUG_DISK							1
EFI.C
#define APPLE_STYLE_EFI						1
#define INJECT_EFI_DEVICE_PROPERTIES			1
#define EFI_64_BIT							1
#define DEBUG_EFI							1
#define STATIC_MODEL_NAME					{  'i', 'M', 'a', 'c', '9', ',', '1' }
SMBIOS.C 
#define USE_STATIC_SMBIOS_DATA				1
#define OVERRIDE_DYNAMIC_MEMORY_DETECTION	1
#define OVERRIDE_DYNAMIC_PRODUCT_DETECTION	0
#if OVERRIDE_DYNAMIC_PRODUCT_DETECTION
#define STATIC_SMBIOS_MODEL_ID			IMAC	
#define DEBUG_SMBIOS						1	
PLATFORM.C 
#define DEBUG_PLATFORM						0
#define STATIC_MAC_PRODUCT_NAME			"iMac9,1"

I have tried it after posting the previous results and I have a different KP:

post-464373-1298480017_thumb.jpg

Using #define ACPI_10_SUPPORT set to 1

other settings same as before.

Note: I booted twice with this setting the first boot without fakesmc hangs at kernel loading as expected, the second boot goes on after fakeSMC loaded and then KP

the fist boot instead with ACPI 1 support disabled don't hangs without FakeSMC because the KP comes first I think

Note if I boot with original ACPI data I have cmos reset and this bios don't saves settings for an easy recovery so it's not fun have to restore all the nettings every time I try.