[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

The new installer will be added to the first post shortly.....

There is no need to install this if you already have a running system and don't know how to fix things if the installer causes breakage, you have been warned :-) For people doing clean installs I would encourage you to use this v1.14 installer.

*I have tested this on a clean install to an external USB HD and everything works properly with my system.

Here are the release notes for v1.14:

• The boot loader has been changed to Chameleon RC5pre8 instead of AsereBLNv1.19.
  • The system type has been changed to MacPro3,1 instead of MacPro4,1 for various reasons.
  • The DSDTs are M2.5 for all processor types. It is easy enough to download and replace with a 3.x version if you want.
  • I created a binary patch for the audio based on the info in this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1437321 This way we don't have to distribute Apple files.
  • Edit: Updated kexts in /Extra/Extensions

Notes:

The boot loader does not support the auto recognition of the memory types for display in the System Profiler. This is cosmetic only but you can still modify your smbios.plist if you want that info to show in the System Profiler. When Chameleon RC5 is released this will "just work". The Chameleon Preference pane is on the ISO, just double-click to install it. After this is done you will notice a Chameleon icon in System Preferences that has a GUI interface for many of the com.boot.Apple.plist settings.

You have to have the 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext installed for the 10.6.3audiopatcher.sh to work. It looks at the MD5 checksum of the AppleHDA binary to determine if it will do the patch, so there is no danger of running it with the wrong version. Go to the 10.6.3audiopatcher folder on the ISO, then drag and drop the 10.6.3audiopatcher.sh onto an open Terminal window. Click the Terminal window and then hit Enter to execute the script. It will tell you if it succeeded or not. Reboot and test your sound. In the future I will integrate this patching into the main installer.

OpenHaltRestart.kext and OrangeIconFix.kext have been removed....no longer needed because of Fabio's DSDT improvements. I've added the kexts for PS/2 support to the installer. You can remove them if they are not needed, don't forget to rebuild Extensions.mkext.

Can I install this on a system that is already running?

Yes, everything will be backed up in a P6TInstallerDATE-TIME folder in the root of the installation volume. BUT, if you are running a 3.x DSDT or are using EFI strings you will have to manually merge those files into your Extra folder from the backup that is created.

Thanks for your hard work ! ( i follow you since the older post ;) )

I have two questions about the new installer..

*Why is better the smbios 3.1 instead the 4.1??

*Why use the boot from Chameleon RC5pre8 if the AsereBLNv1.19 recognizes and show my ram speed right ?

Please don't take this questions as a critic... I'm only curious.

ps next week I look inside the iMac11,1 (Acpi tables)

if we can find some intresting stuff...

Nice news !!!!

Thanks for your hard work ! ( i follow you since the older post ;) )

*Why use the boot from Chameleon RC5pre8 if the AsereBLNv1.19 recognizes and show my ram speed right ?

When using the MacPro3,1 system type there is Stepping data in the IOPlatformFamily.kext that makes speedstep work better. The data is not present for MacPro4,1 but you can edit the MacPro4_1.plist file and add the data. It's easier just to use MacPro3,1 though. You won't be offered the MacPro audio update either with MacPro3,1 but that's more of a legacy issue now that 10.6.3 breaks audio anyway.

I believe the memory information recognition is just cosmetic and will be fixed anyway when the newer Chameleon RC5 comes out. If you care about that, you can just update your smbios.plist with the correct info. Using the pre-release Chameleon also gives us the opportunity to use the new preference pane.

When using the MacPro3,1 system type there is Stepping data in the IOPlatformFamily.kext that makes speedstep work better. The data is not present for MacPro4,1 but you can edit the MacPro4_1.plist file and add the data. It's easier just to use MacPro3,1 though. You won't be offered the MacPro audio update either with MacPro3,1 but that's more of a legacy issue now that 10.6.3 breaks audio anyway.

I believe the memory information recognition is just cosmetic and will be fixed anyway when the newer Chameleon RC5 comes out. If you care about that, you can just update your smbios.plist with the correct info. Using the pre-release Chameleon also gives us the opportunity to use the new preference pane.

Thanks ! :( Superb explanation !

Was curious about this, never understood properly, now it's clearer. Thanks

I can't thank everyone enough. I've had my 10.5.7 vanilla install for months. It's been stable as a rock, but I've been too scared to upgrade. I can't believe I got everything working and more (sleep, mute) within hours (including time machine restore!).

Greed is man's weakness though. I want more! o.O

The last thing that isn't fully working is 5.1 audio. This is the one thing that is far more complicated to setup on mac than it is on windows (or so it seems).

Anyway, I've read a few tutorials around on how to use Audio Midi Setup to get 5.1 channel sound working, but I haven't shared the same success. I noticed that two of the output lines are called 'Built-in Line Output'. The center/sub channel and the rear channels seem to share that same name. Could this be messing stuff up for us?

I can't seem to set the rear channels and have them work properly with actual content. Not to mention the keyboard volume limitations. Anyway, was wondering if anyone here has had any success stories.

Thanks all =)

Edit: I'm one of those that has sleep working but only if I set it manually or by schedule. It doesn't seem to work for idle time. I've tried setting it to 1min, 2mins, 10mins. Any ideas?

Quick question does it matter if I flash the bios to the latest version (1003) if I use the v.1.14 asus bootloader in a clean install? Also does new bios updates always include previous bios fixes or should I pick one that suits me?

Quick question does it matter if I flash the bios to the latest version (1003) if I use the v.1.14 asus bootloader in a clean install? Also does new bios updates always include previous bios fixes or should I pick one that suits me?

I've flashed with 1003 and seems to be ok. I haven't noticed strange or unwanted behaviors. I think bios updates include all previous fixes. I don't know what v.1.14 asus bootloader is.

Thanks for your hard work ! ( i follow you since the older post :) )

Nice news !!!!

Thanks, from what I understand....

Cosmetic meaning it doesn't effect actual performance,

My memory reads (instead of DDR3 1333)

Size: 2 GB

Type: DDR2 SDRAM

Speed: 667 MHz

Once RC5 comes out it will read all properly, am I correct?

I have an issue. Following dgobe's guide I get to the disk utility after booting from the installer disk. I have a 250gb hd for my windows 7 and a 640gb hd that I have partitioned 250gb for the OSX installation. When I try to format the partition through the disk utility it gets about half way, gives an error message saying it can't remount the drive, and then completely hangs. What is going on? It's driving me crazy. Should I completely wipe the 640gb hd? Im so confused...

Specs:

i7 920

6Gb OCZ 1600

250 + 640gb hd's

gtx 260 sli (one card taken out for installation)

sata DVD + sata blu ray

@ezikiel12: i'm not sure but mac use something like GPT table. If you have partitionned the hd in windows, u can't format the partition as hfs+ by diskutility.

I also have a problem concerning time. Each time I switched from SL to Win 7,always 2 hours sooner to the correct time (and I must re-sync after). The updates since SL 10.6.2 have changed something?

Sorry for being a noob here. :(

But if I am right what I should do to update to 10.6.3 is the following:

*from NetKas site*

-Make a backup of present kexts (IONetworkingfamily in particular, as the update does'nt change anything in /Extra)

-Add NullCPUPM.kext (to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext) to /Extra's

-Remove SleepEnabler.kext (this isn't present in the installer from Dgobe if I'm correct, so no step needed then)

Also a question: does the combo-update touch/delete/modify the kext's in /Extra? as I'm not sure... and will the old 10.6.0 kext's work with the 10.6.3 update (anyone tried)?

Is copying the backupped kexts enough to let OSX work again?

, Thanks in advance B)

I also have a problem concerning time. Each time I switched from SL to Win 7,always 2 hours sooner to the correct time (and I must re-sync after). The updates since SL 10.6.2 have changed something?

The BootCamp(download from Apple) setup has a service that corrects the time. Apple uses UTC time so it's off when booting between different OS's....it's not something new, it happened in Leopard too. BE AWARE that the AppleHFS.sys that is installed in c:\windows\system32\drivers WILL result in a BSOD at boot. You can rename the .sys files that get installed and the time service will still work.

Here's a directory listing from my Windows 7 x64 install, I just renamed the files with a .old extension BEFORE rebooting. Try at your own risk.

Directory of C:\Windows\System32\drivers

01/16/2010 10:39 PM 68,664 AppleHFS.sys.old

01/16/2010 10:39 PM 12,856 AppleMNT.sys.old

01/16/2010 10:39 PM 15,416 KeyAgent.sys.old

01/16/2010 10:39 PM 20,024 MacHALDriver.sys.old

Sorry for being a noob here. ^_^

But if I am right what I should do to update to 10.6.3 is the following:

*from NetKas site*

-Make a backup of present kexts (IONetworkingfamily in particular, as the update does'nt change anything in /Extra)

-Add NullCPUPM.kext (to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext) to /Extra's

-Remove SleepEnabler.kext (this isn't present in the installer from Dgobe if I'm correct, so no step needed then)

Also a question: does the combo-update touch/delete/modify the kext's in /Extra? as I'm not sure... and will the old 10.6.0 kext's work with the 10.6.3 update (anyone tried)?

Is copying the backupped kexts enough to let OSX work again?

, Thanks in advance :)

You don't have to do anything special. Update with Software Update or download the combo update and run it. When it's finished you can use the 10.6.3audiopatcher.sh script that is on the v1.14 install ISO to patch AppleHDA. Done.

New bios for P6t Deluxe V2 !!

P6T Deluxe V2 1003 BIOS

1. Fix HDD size shown incorrectly if it's bigger than 2.2TB

2. Fix DEL and F8 keys doesn't work with MS Reclusa Keyboard

LINk

Edit:

Bios Flashed !

All is working fine !! ( except the old FW problem)

Same here. There is always a 2 hours lag between the 2 OSes!

@dgobe:

Maybe I'll try your suggestion about bootcamp. I never used that package, so, just a question: I downloaded the BootCamp_3.1_64-bit executable for Win. If I'm not wrong it's basically a bootloader with a drivers package, so, won't it damage my Chameleon setup by installing it? Or there is a way to install only drivers and no bootloader?

Thanks a lot in advance.

New bios for P6t Deluxe V2 !!

P6T Deluxe V2 1003 BIOS

1. Fix HDD size shown incorrectly if it's bigger than 2.2TB

2. Fix DEL and F8 keys doesn't work with MS Reclusa Keyboard

LINk

Edit:

Bios Flashed !

All is working fine !! ( except the old FW problem)

I flashed with it some days ago and can confirm it's ok.

how to install mac os x 10.6 retail DVD with motherboard = P5G41T-M-LX and intel Dual Core E5300. Please help.. thanks.

Setup is very different from mobo to mobo: here nobody has your model, we all have a totally different board, so I doubt somebody will be able to help.

P6T Deluxe, Flash Drive Installation guide.

When I run the installer (P6T Deluxe Installer-1.14, 1.13, V2), on the usb drive it freezes at "Writing Package Receipt" message.

Can anyone suggest a solution for this problem?

;)

Thank you for your guide and installation files - can I just say the install was effortlessly simple and so quick I had Snow Leopard up and running with no problems at all! :D Thank you all for putting in the time to make this release happen :D

On another note would the boot disc work on installing Snow Leopard Server do you reckon? :wacko:

Hi,

Here is some solutions for that problem on Prasys' blog.

http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/fixing-time-sy...ith-osxwindows/

Kristijan

Thanks for that Kristijan. I made a .reg file that will work for Vista/Windows 7, try this before you install BootCamp. Untested, but it won't break anything either :wacko: There is an Undo .reg file that will remove the changes

AppleTimeFix.zip

@Dark-Horse

It should work with Snow Leopard Server too but I haven't tried it.

@amxpci

Out of space on drive? Permissions error? I've never tried the flash method but I have seen people report that error before. Try the DVD install instead.

@ezikiel12: i'm not sure but mac use something like GPT table. If you have partitionned the hd in windows, u can't format the partition as hfs+ by diskutility.

Yeah this happened tome too, not to concerned cause I predominately use OSX , still its odd, I don't think it's related.

Hi,

Here is some solutions for that problem on Prasys' blog.

http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/fixing-time-sy...ith-osxwindows/

Kristijan

Thanks a lot 4 the article. It explains very well what's going on!

Thanks for that Kristijan. I made a .reg file that will work for Vista/Windows 7, try this before you install BootCamp. Untested, but it won't break anything either :) There is an Undo .reg file that will remove the changes

AppleTimeFix.zip

Works perfectly in Win7 64bit.

Thanks A LOT !

;)

Works perfectly in Win7 64bit.

Thanks A LOT !

Good, I'll add those files to the next ISO.

Edit: Oops, it looks like consecutive boots into Windows messes up the clock. If you sync to an NTP server it does correct the time though. I noticed the clock in the BIOS is still set to my local time zone and not UTC. I don't have time to play with it, but if you use the registry change you might have to set your BIOS time to UTC manually.

Good, I'll add those files to the next ISO.

Edit: Oops, it looks like consecutive boots into Windows messes up the clock. If you sync to an NTP server it does correct the time though. I noticed the clock in the BIOS is still set to my local time zone and not UTC. I don't have time to play with it, but if you use the registry change you might have to set your BIOS time to UTC manually.

Yes, bios is still 2 hours late. I'll try to play with it today.