[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

-Your RAM brand and model? If it's XMP capable, activating an XMP profile in bios should be enough and safe. If not, you must do it manually, but PAY ATTENTION: that's overclocking and involves some risk of physical damage. If unshure leave AUTO . Overclocking ram of less than 300 mhz won't give you any noticeable improvement in everyday use, just few useless points in benchmarking and more risks. DDR3 with OC capability (over 1067) is intended generally to give you more flexibility when overclocking your cpu.

If raising CPU's base clock to 166 to obtain a 3.33 ghz total frequency, 'cause of certain relationships between values in our chipset, your ram will work properly at 1333.

http://icrontic.com/apps/nehalem-calc/ will help with the aid of some overclocking forum...this discussion is OT here.

I repeat: if unshure, leave AUTO and it's ok. These are already f***** powerfull and fast machines

-Google for S/N

-boot.Plist is only the file containing configurations for your bootloader. Did you install Chamaleon, PC-Efi or AsereBLN?

Asere boot will probably recognize your ram brand, if you use PC-Efi or Chamaleon you'll have to input it manually in your smbios.plist your ram's speed and brand. I've AsereBoot, so I deleted every ram-related info.

Hey,

Thanks a lot that was comprehensive information gave me a better understanding. I'll leave as is for now on AUTO

I use Chameleon

I can putt in manually, only thing is what?

This might sounds silly, but I have no clue what serial I am looking for, a MAC PRO serial, can i use the one from my macbook? or am I looking for the serial of my MOBO?

Can you clarify please, man I must sound clueless

Hey,

Thanks a lot that was comprehensive information gave me a better understanding. I'll leave as is for now on AUTO

I use Chameleon

I can putt in manually, only thing is what?

This might sounds silly, but I have no clue what serial I am looking for, a MAC PRO serial, can i use the one from my macbook? or am I looking for the serial of my MOBO?

Can you clarify please, man I must sound clueless

-You can download AsereBoot, latest is 1.1.9 and overwrite the file /boot (in your root of main Snow Installation disk) with the one in the package. /boot is a sistem file, so you can't see it in finder. You'll have to use terminal. But, if you want to stay with stock ram settings and your ram infos are ok, you can also avoid risking and keep everything as is. There is no difference at all, in your situation.

-Macpro. 3.1 or 4.1...depends on which machine you are declaring in smbios.plist

Declaring a 4.1 gave me some degree more in temperatures.

I must still try declaring an iMac.

Hi guys!

I appreciate your feedback...

I'm sorry but I'm very very busy (my work).

@st3p

Puoi fare delle foto della tua configurazione BIOS?

Pls post your Bios screen shot.

@fc bayer

I see this "glich" when I use Asere bootloader...

I have 2 Hard disk with two Snow.. one for daily use with pure chameleon 2 RC5 pre8 (snow 10.6.3) and all work ok.

(My GFX is injected by DSDT)

The other is a test use only and there is Asere 1.1.9 (10.6.2) and I use boot graphics enabler... and as you say some time I see glich at startup...

So maybe try use EFI strings for your GFX... maybe fix the problem :D

@gracias Karineko por el link... lo ententare tan pronto que puedo.

thx Kari I will try the Firewire fix that you propose soon..

Fabio

Hi guys!

I appreciate your feedback...

I'm sorry but I'm very very busy (my work).

@st3p

Puoi fare delle foto della tua configurazione BIOS?

Pls post your Bios screen shot.

Fabio

The screens related to overclock?

Le schermate relative all'overclock?

many thanks guys, i got everything work fine after following Flash Drive installation guide without additional patch!! so amazing!

M/B: P6T V2 Deluxe

CPU: i7 920 @3GHz

RAM: Corsair Triple Ch. 2x3 (6GB) @1500MHz

Video: EN9600GT 1G

DVD: LiteOn

Tablet: Wacom CTE-640 (work great with original driver at their web site)

FireWire (PCI): 800x2, 400x1 - Work great with WD Studio 1TB (FireWire800) and FireWire800 box with RAID 0 (320Gx2)

So happy!

I'm now considering do combo update 10.6.2, does anyone have something to guide me? big thanks to dgobe and iFabio

Just a message for those trying DSDT 2.5: test it with bios setting as in guide.

Speedstep enabled

Turbo enabled

CPU ratio auto

These are stock settings.

You can try enabling also an XMP profile if your RAM is XMP-compliant, but don't overclock using my bios screenshots. I don't have XMP RAM, so I've done everything manually, and for shure my parameters won't match your system. It can also be a risk!

thanks again for your feedback, I appreciate it.

My MacbookPro is 5.1, from what I understand ideally one would declare an Imac (i7) serial? cause it's more than just a number and changes system performance ad operation?

I am going to look into AsereBoot sometime later, I am just so happy it's up n running.

But from what I understand I need to add it to my installation flash drive I prepared when I did he initial setup, but I don't have to reinstall everything, just update the boot file in terminal right?

You have to change not just the serial, but the whole smbios file! It has more infos than serial. If you read it you'll see it has infos also about the mac's model - Mobo - Bios- Release date and so on...

Not shure here: if macpro or imac. Putting a macpro 3.1 lowered also a bit my temperatures...strange but true.

Putting an iMac, anyway the CPU remain recognised as a Xeon, so maybe a macpro 4.1 is better.

Just dunno.

For the /boot file, if you boot from an external flash drive or EFI partition, add it to it, but if now your system is booting from internal drive, it must be in the root directory of your internal MACOSX drive. Be careful while handling bootloaders, you could screw up your boot chain and have an unbootable system as an unwanted result!

Yes, only update your boot file in the drive that boots.

If you boot from internal drive -----> /Volumes/WHERE_YOUR_SNOW_LEO_IS/boot

Be shure to understand some basic unix terminal commands, 'cause there is no undo and no trash. What you delete, is deleted and stop.

Hi,

sorry but I don't understand what's the difference between the dsdt 3.1.4 and 2.1.5? I've OCed my PC to 3.8 Ghz cpu ratio 19 turbo disabled speedstep disabled. The dsdt 2.1.5 's working like a charm: my geekbench is better, my temperature is lower (9 degree celcius). So is it okay or can you help me to fix the dsdt to be compatible with my config?

Thks much :(

Hi,

sorry but I don't understand what's the difference between the dsdt 3.1.4 and 2.1.5? I've OCed my PC to 3.8 Ghz cpu ratio 19 turbo disabled speedstep disabled. The dsdt 2.1.5 's working like a charm: my geekbench is better, my temperature is lower (9 degree celcius). So is it okay or can you help me to fix the dsdt to be compatible with my config?

Thks much :D

The difference here is that 2.5 has speedstep support and than can lower multipliers or use turbo mode when in full load. 3.x can't do that. With a 3.8 OC it's ok to disable turbo and speedstep to gain more stability.

I would tell you there is no difference with 3.x DSDT if you make no use of Speedstep and Turbo, but if you have better performance and temps, leave it as it is. 9° less are useful at 3.8.

I was telling to use stock settings and not to copy my setup in screenshots 'cause there is also people not familiar with OC and they could damage things or have stability issues.

Just a disclaimer :(

Can anyone please help me in making a proper hex string injector for my GTX 275 to add to my com.apple.Boot.plist? I've Google around and tried a few things, but nothing seems to have worked just right.

Here's my specific problem:

Without any modification, the graphics card works nearly 100%. I get full resolution and good speeds. However, when I initiate Exposé to show all windows, the graphics card makes a weird sound, almost like an HDD under full load. I've put my ear around the case and confirmed this is from the video card. This also happens when I click the Applications Stack icon to see the Grid expand from the dock.

So, in hopes to fix that, I started playing with injectors to try to fix it, even though everything else seems to work fine. I found a couple good resources that included command line gfxutil to convert code to hex. When I inserted that, the sound went away and I had full resolution support, but when I initiate Exposé or click on Stacks, the animation is very choppy.

Any input on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! Again, thanks for everyone's help!

I'd also like to point out that I added a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless-N card today that worked quite simply after adding this kext.

Here is my dump for the i7 930. A few notes for anyone else taking a dump:

OpenSUSE booted the first time with no desktop. I let it sit there for roughly 5 minutes before I rebooted and changed the resolution to 1600x1200 under boot options and everything was fine. Doing this also made the boot verbose.

This may not be needed for you, just throwing it out incase it helps.

Also, to add to my video card problem description, the noise also happens if I drag a window fast or scroll up and down on a webpage fast, though it's quieter than when I initiate Exposé or Stacks.

If anyone can help me with that, that'd be super awesome. That's the last thing to get working other than RAID.

On that note, how can we go about getting RAID working? Would it work to setup a RAID in Windows or even just the MoBo utility and clone our existing OSX partition onto the RAID partition using a boot-utility such as CloneZilla? Has anyone had success seeing a RAID partition within OSX, even just for storage (non-OS)?

930_P6TSE_0704.zip

Here is Fabio DSDT M2.5 with SS for I7 930.

Wow, that was fast! Thank you!

I'm using Apple soft raid 0 and performance of HDDs is great.

So your BIOS isn't set to RAID, and you just have a secondary array set to RAID within OSX? Can you see this within Windows 7 via MacDrive?

So your BIOS isn't set to RAID, and you just have a secondary array set to RAID within OSX? Can you see this within Windows 7 via MacDrive?

My configuration is :

Port sata 1 and sata 2 in soft raid 0 via Disk Utility,

and other 3 disks (formated NTFS) for windows and data.

I didn't try MacDrive because I don't need it. I am using NAS (network) disk for storage and exchange.

Well, I don't know about unmounting, but obviously you can hide it in Finder by selecting 'remove from sidebar', and you can still see it when you need to if you select 'Your Mac Pro' at the top of the sidebar.

It's useful to have it there, as you may need files form that drive occasionally.

@dgobe

ok i think all is ready for new imstaller

macmodel=macpro3,1 or 4,1

bootloader chameleon 2 rc5 pre8

AppleHDA fix(10.6.3) or other solution

dsdt M2.5 specfic CPU + 3.1.4 for generic

thx all for test and feedback

I try the mod for the firewire... Notthing

still the same

Fabio

ps next week I look inside the iMac11,1 (Acpi tables)

if we can find some intresting stuff...

The new installer will be added to the first post shortly.....

There is no need to install this if you already have a running system and don't know how to fix things if the installer causes breakage, you have been warned :-) For people doing clean installs I would encourage you to use this v1.14 installer.

*I have tested this on a clean install to an external USB HD and everything works properly with my system.

Here are the release notes for v1.14:

• The boot loader has been changed to Chameleon RC5pre8 instead of AsereBLNv1.19.
  • The system type has been changed to MacPro3,1 instead of MacPro4,1 for various reasons.
  • The DSDTs are M2.5 for all processor types. It is easy enough to download and replace with a 3.x version if you want.
  • I created a binary patch for the audio based on the info in this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1437321 This way we don't have to distribute Apple files.
  • Edit: Updated kexts in /Extra/Extensions

Notes:

The boot loader does not support the auto recognition of the memory types for display in the System Profiler. This is cosmetic only but you can still modify your smbios.plist if you want that info to show in the System Profiler. When Chameleon RC5 is released this will "just work". The Chameleon Preference pane is on the ISO, just double-click to install it. After this is done you will notice a Chameleon icon in System Preferences that has a GUI interface for many of the com.boot.Apple.plist settings.

You have to have the 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext installed for the 10.6.3audiopatcher.sh to work. It looks at the MD5 checksum of the AppleHDA binary to determine if it will do the patch, so there is no danger of running it with the wrong version. Go to the 10.6.3audiopatcher folder on the ISO, then drag and drop the 10.6.3audiopatcher.sh onto an open Terminal window. Click the Terminal window and then hit Enter to execute the script. It will tell you if it succeeded or not. Reboot and test your sound. In the future I will integrate this patching into the main installer.

OpenHaltRestart.kext and OrangeIconFix.kext have been removed....no longer needed because of Fabio's DSDT improvements. I've added the kexts for PS/2 support to the installer. You can remove them if they are not needed, don't forget to rebuild Extensions.mkext.

Can I install this on a system that is already running?

Yes, everything will be backed up in a P6TInstallerDATE-TIME folder in the root of the installation volume. BUT, if you are running a 3.x DSDT or are using EFI strings you will have to manually merge those files into your Extra folder from the backup that is created.