[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

Fixed it. Just updated to 10.6.2 and my firewire problems were solved =)

Last problem i need to figure out. DUAL BOOT with win7

I got my SL installed on partition 1 on this harddrive. Is it possible to install Win7 on partition 2 on the same disk at this point? Ive seen a few guides but all had win7 installed first??

Fixed it. Just updated to 10.6.2 and my firewire problems were solved =)

Last problem i need to figure out. DUAL BOOT with win7

I got my SL installed on partition 1 on this harddrive. Is it possible to install Win7 on partition 2 on the same disk at this point? Ive seen a few guides but all had win7 installed first??

I've no idea, 'cause my Win7 is over a physical second hdd, anyway Win7 is quite different from xp, 'cause it creates 2 partitions instead of 1.

A first little "System" partition (from which it boots) and a second one in which it installs. Anyway I heard of a way to avoid this (using terminal while partitioning and installing win7), google for it 'cause it will simplify your life for shure, allowing you a more "standard" install over a single partition.

Win7 will destroy your boot sector for shure, so you will need to reinstall Chamaleon.

Maybe booting from the new chamaleon boot-cd proposed and discussed in this thread will let you boot again your OSX installation and from there you will be able to install back again Chamaleon...but I say MAYBE.

Than Camaleon should see your both your Win7 & OSX partitions, allowing you to boot.

As I told you I never tried, I'm just making suppositions based on logical thinking. I will try the day I'll have to reformat everything, so what I'm telling you is only theory!

If you will try this before me, please, LET ME KNOW the results!

Ahh.. I was going mental last night trying to figure it out. Ended up formating the whole drive after messing things up.

So today im going to try and make a new Dual Boot setup with win7 and SnowL.

Any tips on best working method to get it work?

I managed to move som things around so i have 2 physical harddrive if needed now.

Any tips on best working method to get it work?

I managed to move som things around so i have 2 physical harddrive if needed now.

The best method is without doubt put them both on separate drives. On partitions on the same drive is possible, but it involves potential for messing things up.

I tried to get my sleep working withe the three kexts listed by iFabio, but my sleep is still not working.

By the way, my SnowLeo HDD has an orange icon.

Can somebody help fixing?

Thanks...

I write again:

my test works with:

- AD2000b (audio)

- AppleVIAATA (IDE & eSATA)

- fakesmc (decripter)

and 3.1.4 or M2.4 DSDT

if you use a DSDT with Sata id (see link in the

first page you don't need orangeIconFix)

in the first page:

1) - Standard 3.1.4 (need OrangeIconFix.kext)

2) - Internal SATA (no need OrangeIconFix.kext) 3.1.4

3) - Full M2.4 (old series with all "Asus Code" need OrangeIconFix.kext)

USE THE SECOND I PROPOSE... And rebuild the cahe

All of this DSDT have SLEEP Function Fixed.

Fabio

Yes, I did it, but with no success! I think there is any problem in the system build. I think that I should Reinstall the whole system...

:)

just for test... Try boot with -f flag

at chameleon prompt.

Or maybe is time for a fresh install?

Maybe try boot from a usb pendrive...

(if you have one...)

Fabio

Hi guys (sorry for spamming)

Im about to reinstall now. Both Win7 and SnowLeopard using the guide in this thread.

Im using two different drives.

Any suggestions of how to do it?

If not. This is how im thinking.

Im on 1sr drive now. Have installed Win7 here.

Boot - remove this disk and plugin 2nd drive.

Install Snow Leopard.

Reboot with both drives plugged in... pray to the gods..

Anything i missed?

The problems appear also with f-flag. Therefore I'm going to reinstall my system....

By the way, does anyone know how to Backup programs (like iLife, iWork,...) without backing up the system? The problem is that many programs save their data on the whole mac.

Thanks...

I just updated on a virtual machine I have under VMWare Workstation. It installed and booted OK. Since we don't use any Disabler kexts, more than likely the update will work fine. I'm sure it will kill audio though.

If you don't care about having to reinstall your system or losing data, go ahead and let us know! You might want to backup a few things first:

sudo cp -Rp /System/Library/Extensions   /System/Library/Extensions.10.6.2
sudo cp -p /mach_kernel	/mach_kernel.10.6.2

There's a thread here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214015

and on the InsanelyMac home page, there's a post with comments.

You might want to look before you leap, good luck all.

@imacken Great!

I just updated on a virtual machine I have under VMWare Workstation. It installed and booted OK. Since we don't use any Disabler kexts, more than likely the update will work fine. I'm sure it will kill audio though.

If you don't care about having to reinstall your system or losing data, go ahead and let us know! You might want to backup a few things first:

sudo cp -Rp /System/Library/Extensions   /System/Library/Extensions.10.6.2
sudo cp -p /mach_kernel	/mach_kernel.10.6.2

There's a thread here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214015

and on the InsanelyMac home page, there's a post with comments.

You might want to look before you leap, good luck all.

@imacken Great!

Yep, no problems with audio. AppleHDA hasn't changed.

Yep, no problems with audio. AppleHDA hasn't changed.

OK, I assumed they would include the Mac Pro audio update with 10.6.3, guess not. Are you using MacPro4,1 as your system type in smbios.plist? If so, that's good news.

OK, I assumed they would include the Mac Pro audio update with 10.6.3, guess not. Are you using MacPro4,1 as your system type in smbios.plist? If so, that's good news.

No, I'm using 3,1. Where can get a 4,1 smbios to try out? Can you post yours? Thanks.

The installer package has the 4,1 setup. You can extract the smbios.plist with Pacifist.

I guess it's a matter of determining if the 10.6.3 update will put the broken AppleHDA.kext in place if your system type is set to 4,1. It's an easy fix to use the 10.6.2 AppleHDA if it does.

When the dust settles I'll make an installer package that uses 3,1.

My config:

-Chameleon 2 RC5pre8 + Booter AsereBLN v1.1.9

-smbios.plist of MacPro 3,1

-iFabio's DSDT 3.1.4_internal.SATA

-Kexts:

AD2000b.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

fakesmc.kext

Updated from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 an installation I had over an usb external disk...just to keep my working system safe.

It seems to be ok. Sleep seems to be working (yes, even from an external usb disk!), but audio HAS GONE.

I updated using a disabler as Netkas suggested, then removed it, updated caches and rebooted.

I'm writing you from this install.

It seems to be ok. Sleep seems to be working (yes, even from an external usb disk!), but audio HAS GONE.

I updated using a disabler as Netkas suggested, then removed it, updated caches and rebooted.

I'm writing you from this install.

That's why I recommend the backup steps I posted above. Will make it easier for less experienced users to recover.

I don't think the disabler step is required since our systems won't KP with AppleIntelCPUPM. We'll find out soon enough!

This should be a somewhat urgent update for people with security concerns....so thanks for the feedback.

That's why I recommend the backup steps I posted above. Will make it easier for less experienced users to recover.

I don't think the disabler step is required since our systems won't KP with AppleIntelCPUPM. We'll find out soon enough!

This should be a somewhat urgent update for people with security concerns....so thanks for the feedback.

Well, I used the 4,1 smbios.plist in your installer. Didn't need Pacifist, just opened by clicking on the iso.

I reinstalled 10.6.3 with 4,1 showing, and audio is still OK.

Anyway, just in case somebody's audio will get broken as happened to me, Pacifist & Combo 10.6.2 will do the dirty job.

Did it 5 minutes ago!

Anyway, just in case somebody's audio will get broken as happened to me, Pacifist & Combo 10.6.2 will do the dirty job.

Did it 5 minutes ago!

If your system type is set to MacPro4,1(if you used the installer it is) it will break the sound.

Mar 29 15:29:08 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "!hasInitialSettings" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 7356 goto Exit

Mar 29 15:29:08 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != activateAudioEngine ( engine )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1955 goto Exit

Mar 29 15:29:08 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "!activateAudioEngines ()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 205 goto Exit

Mar 29 15:29:12 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "!hasInitialSettings" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 7356 goto Exit

Mar 29 15:29:12 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != activateAudioEngine ( engine )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1955 goto Exit

Mar 29 15:29:12 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "!activateAudioEngines ()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 205 goto Exit

Just backup your AppleHDA.kext before the update and restore it after:

sudo cp -Rp /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.10.6.2
Do the update and after restart....
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.10.6.3
sudo cp -Rp /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.10.6.2  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
...and restart

I did the update via Software Update with no other steps required. Did NOT test firewire but based on my 5 minutes of checking, things look OK.

If your system type is set to MacPro4,1(if you used the installer it is) it will break the sound.

Mar 29 15:29:08 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "!hasInitialSettings" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 7356 goto Exit

Mar 29 15:29:08 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != activateAudioEngine ( engine )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1955 goto Exit

Mar 29 15:29:08 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "!activateAudioEngines ()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 205 goto Exit

Mar 29 15:29:12 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "!hasInitialSettings" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 7356 goto Exit

Mar 29 15:29:12 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != activateAudioEngine ( engine )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1955 goto Exit

Mar 29 15:29:12 Daves-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "!activateAudioEngines ()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 205 goto Exit

Just backup your AppleHDA.kext before the update and restore it after:

sudo cp -Rp /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.10.6.2
Do the update and after restart....
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.10.6.3
sudo cp -Rp /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.10.6.2  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
...and restart

I did the update via Software Update with no other steps required. Did NOT test firewire but based on my 5 minutes of checking, things look OK.

Yes, audio will be broken in both cases, if you use 4.1 or 3.1.

Did the update straight on my internal disk now, without disabler this time and I confirm it works.

Firewire also is working for me, and so my FW external audio interface.

Sleep works.