[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

ENG:

Good morning everybody! Just some question to clear my mind about one issue: I remember sometimes ago about iFabio posting on the italian forum the suggestion to modify fakesmc.kext for our board.

-As iFabio says, these mods are fixing infos from a MacPro4.1, so...is this suitable for all mac models & boards we can specify in smbios.plist (MacPro 3.1 ,4.1, iMac 1.1)?

-If not, which model must use the original fakesmc and which the modded one?

-Is there also a relation between this and the DSDT we use (2.xx or 3.xx)?

My config is DSDT 2.5, injecting a MacPro 3.1 with modded Fakesmc.kext. Is this ok?

Thanks in advance for answers!!!!

v1.14 has the smc-napa fakesmc for MacPro3,1. v1.13 has smc-thurley fakesmc for MacPro4,1 and I posted the changes for smc-piketon for iMac11,1 earlier. I'm not sure if there are any functional differences. It's likely that the kernel, extensions or userland look at the smc version and do things appropriate for the platform but I can't confirm that. It's probably best to match your fakesmc with your system type.

@kmcdaniel I posted a new "boot" file that will set the right values for Core i7 so you don't need to modify smbios.plist. But if that's what you want to do, yeah just add the key and string to the end of the file.

@ken-mac I wouldn't use turbo mode with that high of an overclock....but that's not the main problem, I don't know what that is. You can experiment with those kexts and maybe a Disabler.kext, but everyone else is working without them.

Fabio,

i do not see SMcputype in smbios.plist. Do I just need to add the lines at the bottom of the file?

Nice Find!

I think you can add theme where you want.

v1.14 has the smc-napa fakesmc for MacPro3,1. v1.13 has smc-thurley fakesmc for MacPro4,1 and I posted the changes for smc-piketon for iMac11,1 earlier. I'm not sure if there are any functional differences. It's likely that the kernel, extensions or userland look at the smc version and do things appropriate for the platform but I can't confirm that. It's probably best to match your fakesmc with your system type.

@kmcdaniel I posted a new "boot" file that will set the right values for Core i7 so you don't need to modify smbios.plist. But if that's what you want to do, yeah just add the key and string to the end of the file.

@ken-mac I wouldn't use turbo mode with that high of an overclock....but that's not the main problem, I don't know what that is. You can experiment with those kexts and maybe a Disabler.kext, but everyone else is working without them.

Ok. Thanks a lot! I'm using MacPro 3.1 as previously suggested, so I'll check the fakesmc in v1.14 package.

I never looked into those installer packages before 'cause I've always installed this system by hand to learn and know what I was doing, so I'll go and get it manually.

Thanks a lot!

dgobe is right.

My temp are good near 42/48

And I use iMac11,1 setting in SMBIOS and Fakesmc patched for iMac11,1

but I think this no make difference...

A little table write by the way:

In update...

[url="http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237"]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237[/url]

The i7 coretemp is tjmax 100
----------------------------

MacPro4,1
MP41.0081.B07
1.39f5 [b](ATkPAAAF)[/b]
smc-thurley

-------------

MacPro3,1
MP31.006C.B05
1.25f4 (??)
smc-napa

-------------

MacPro2,1
MP21.007F.B06
1.15f3 (??)

-------------

MacPro1,1
MP11.005C.B08
1.7f10 (??)
smc-napa

-------------

iMac9,1
IM91.008D.B00
1.30f3 [b](ATAPAAAD)[/b]
smc-napa

-------------

iMac11,1
IM111.88Z.0034.B00
1.54f33 [b](AVQPAAAz)[/b]
smc-piketon

-------------

MacBookAir1,1
MBA11.00BB.B03
1.34f8 (??)
smc-santarosa

-------------

MacBookPro5,2
MBP52.008E.B05
1.42f4 (??)

-------------

MacBook5,1

smc-mcp

I do a little search in the web...

Fabio

other little trick (cosmetics...)

in verbose mode at startup before I see all the time this message coming:

FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length - 6

FakeSMC: key info not found BEMB, length - 6

FakeSMC: key info not found CLWK, length - 6

so I add a little information in the info.plist in the fakemsc

(this is mine fakesmc info.plist with iMac11,1 stuff)

[size=1]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
   <string>English</string>
   <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
   <string>fakesmc</string>
   <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
   <string>org.netkas.fakesmc</string>
   <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
   <string>6.0</string>
   <key>CFBundleName</key>
   <string>fakesmc</string>
   <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
   <string>KEXT</string>
   <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
   <string>2.1</string>
   <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
   <string>????</string>
   <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
   <string>2</string>
   <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
   <dict>
       <key>FakeSMC</key>
       <dict>
           <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
           <string>org.netkas.fakesmc</string>
           <key>IOClass</key>
           <string>FakeSMC</string>
           <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
           <string>IOACPIPlatformDevice</string>
           <key>IOProviderClass</key>
           <string>AppleACPIPlatformExpert</string>
           <key>IOResourceMatch</key>
           <string>ACPI</string>
           <key>SMCKeys</key>
           <dict>
               <key>$Num</key>
               <data>
               AQ==
               </data>
               <key>ACID</key>
               <data>
               AAAAAAAA
               </data>
               <key>BALG</key>
               <data>
               AAAAAAAA
               </data>
               <key>LSOF</key>
               <data>
               AQ==
               </data>
               <key>LSSB</key>
               <data>
               AQE=
               </data>
               <key>MSSD</key>
               <data>
               AA==
               </data>
               <key>MSSP</key>
               <data>
               AA==
               </data>
               <key>NATJ</key>
               <data>
               AA==
               </data>
               <key>NVPR</key>
               <data>
               AAAAAAAA
               </data>
[b]                <key>MSDS</key>
                <data>
                AA==
                </data>[/b]
[b]                <key>BEMB</key>
                 <data>
                 AA==
                 </data>[/b]
[b]                <key>CLWK</key>
                 <data>
                 AA==
                 </data>[/b]
               <key>OSK0</key>
               <string>ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpl</string>
               <key>OSK1</key>
               <string>easedontsteal©AppleComputerInc</string>
              <key>REV </key>
               <data>
               [b]AVQPAAAz[/b]    
               </data>
           </dict>
           <key>smc-compatible</key>
           <string>[b]smc-piketon[/b]</string>
           <key>tjmax</key>
           <integer>100</integer>
       </dict>
   </dict>
   <key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
   <dict>
       <key>com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily</key>
       <string>1.0.0d1</string>
       <key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
       <string>7.0</string>
       <key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
       <string>8.0.0d0</string>
       <key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>
       <string>8.0.0b1</string>
   </dict>
   <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
   <string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>[/size]

;)

(this is only cosmetics???? no idea)

the startup is "fix" still some unfinded key in daily use.

Fabio

Duh. It's that simple. Thanks, great work both of you!!

Maybe I'm little wrong...

do this in terminal... because the boot file already present in root directory in invisible.

use "cp -R path/to/thebootfile /"

Fabio

other little trick (cosmetics...)

in verbose mode at startup before I see all the time this message coming:

FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length - 6

FakeSMC: key info not found BEMB, length - 6

FakeSMC: key info not found CLWK, length - 6

I never tried but using this key and setting it to false is supposed to work:

<key>debug</key>

<false/>

It's there by default but set to <true/>. I mentioned this several pages back (I think it was this thread!)

EDIT: I guess I should put the obligatory...you need to rebuild Extensions.mkext after you fiddle with the Info.plist.

Regarding the boot file, I don't use setfile to lock boot, so a regular cp will work. You can lock it if you're concerned about accidental deletion.

iFabio, please ..a little help

Your model in SMBIOS? mac 3,1

You use a standard fakesmc or pached

for different model? No idea, I used the one you have in DSDT 2.5xxx

Also, i did couple of test and try different temperature measuring software. I get the same reading, am right no at 60 degrees....it`s crazy.

I was thinking that my cpu cooler might be causing this issue (fan dusty), but in windows i have 31degrees idle and during stres test is 69 with prime.

Also, my windows was going bsod every 1-2 hours, then I found out that C-states was causing this issue. i turned it OFF and windows works fine and been stress testing cpu my whole rig for the last 7 hrs, everything works fine.

Please help me, I was wondering if I should use IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext instead. So that I can avoid my cpu to heat up on SL. I might need a little help from you guys to remove speedstep from dsdt..

May I know who else have 3.8 920 I7 with C-state ON. It just doesn`t work for me for some reasons.....am sleepless

can you try installing Hardware Monitor, I get good temp readings from this

i'm not sure if this has been covered.

about this mac shows 2.67 ghz quad core intel xeon and memory is shown as 1069 MHz, instead of 1600.

another thing that probably has been covered. do i do anything with the "extra" folder on the 1.14 cd or the one in the root directory?

i am totally new to a vanilla install, especially snow leopard, but not new to osx86. anyone else remember the deadmoo image?

It's there by default but set to <true/>. I mentioned this several pages back (I think it was this thread!)

EDIT: I guess I should put the obligatory...you need to rebuild Extensions.mkext after you fiddle with the Info.plist.

Did it. I can confirm it works.

I found also the message in this thread about the fakesmc.kext values for iMac 11.1 (confirmed from iFabio's latest message) and I modified it. I also injected an iMac 11.1 and everithing is ok.

Temps are normal. Before modifing faksmc.kext, using an iMac 11.1 gave me additional 5°-6° or more.

Thanks again iFabio and Dgobe.

This hackintosh is going to be perfect!

Hi ! Thank's for this great post !

I've follow all the installation steps and now I have a nice working machine and learn more about audio software in Mac.

I only have a problem.

When I insert one UAD card in PCI slot, the boot stops with:

IOPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 67:87

IOPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111

How can I correct this? I already tried arch=i386 or -x32 in bootloader, but always stop if the card is inserted.

Thanks in advance.

opedevento

Thanks to dgobe and ifabio for this tutorial.

Everything is working great, except I get KP on restart or shutdown if I have been using quicktime pro or mplayerx to play video. I have QE / CI working with my 4870x2 GPU.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

jp1900

Thanks to dgobe and ifabio for this tutorial.

Everything is working great, except I get KP on restart or shutdown if I have been using quicktime pro or mplayerx to play video. I have QE / CI working with my 4870x2 GPU.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

jp1900

jp1900 can you provide us your acpi cpu dump?

Pls i7 965 :thumbsdown_anim: :thumbsdown_anim: :D

Fabio

Why is everyone switching to macPro3,1. Mine is MacPro4,1 and everything seems to be working great!

The rationale behind this has been discussed previously in this thread. Based on my testing the MacPro3,1 gave the best performance while modifying the vanilla system as little as possible. The groundwork for the changes made here were largely based on the work by d00d for the Gigabyte X58 based boards, you can read about it here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1324895

I would suggest anyone changing their system type from MacPro3,1 also change their MacPro4_1.plist or iMac11_1.plist as described in the link. Copying the StepDataDict and PLimitDict into the platform plist that you are using should give the best results. YMMV, feel free to report your findings. Make sure you touch /S/L/E and reboot after making the changes.

In the future we may find improvements by using a different system type but until then I don't care about cosmetic issues. What works best is what matters.

jp1900 can you provide us your acpi cpu dump?

Pls i7 965 :):(:)

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

I have attached the acpi dump for core i7 965. Let me know if it is ok.

I had trouble booting from OpenSUSE live cd suggested in post #3. I managed to find a Ubuntu live cd which worked. if you want me to redo it let me know.

jp1900

dump_i7_965.zip

Hi Fabio,

I have attached the acpi dump for core i7 965. Let me know if it is ok.

I had trouble booting from OpenSUSE live cd suggested in post #3. I managed to find a Ubuntu live cd which worked. if you want me to redo it let me know.

jp1900

Sorry....

I download it and not are complete...

I need the SSDT table...

If is more easy for you use Everest in Windows.

Fabio

The rationale behind this has been discussed previously in this thread. Based on my testing the MacPro3,1 gave the best performance while modifying the vanilla system as little as possible. The groundwork for the changes made here were largely based on the work by d00d for the Gigabyte X58 based boards, you can read about it here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1324895

I would suggest anyone changing their system type from MacPro3,1 also change their MacPro4_1.plist or iMac11_1.plist as described in the link. Copying the StepDataDict and PLimitDict into the platform plist that you are using should give the best results. YMMV, feel free to report your findings. Make sure you touch /S/L/E and reboot after making the changes.

In the future we may find improvements by using a different system type but until then I don't care about cosmetic issues. What works best is what matters.

Hi Dgobe! Very very very useful link to the thread. Saturday morning I will try this:

Save a copy of /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext, add the PLimitDict and StepDataDict sections from /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/MacPro3_1.plist to the same location in MacPro4_1.plist, and change the two key values from MacPro3,1 to MacPro4,1.

Then will let you know.

I would suggest anyone changing their system type from MacPro3,1 also change their MacPro4_1.plist or iMac11_1.plist as described in the link. Copying the StepDataDict and PLimitDict into the platform plist that you are using should give the best results.

Ok, I opened MacPro3_1.plist and found StepDataDict and PLimitDict sections. But iMac11_1.plist already has them! Maybe there is no need to add them.

And maybe this could explain why injecting a MacPRO 3.1 and iMac 11.1 (with the properly modified fakesmc.kext) gives good temps. But injecting a MacPro 4.1 always gave me higher temps. To achieve better results with a Macpro 4.1 you must apply this changes.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I missed something, but this seems logic to me... :)

Hi Fabio

I hope this is what you want. if not, tell me what to do exactly in Everest.

jp1900

No...

Open Everest...

Right click in the botton of windows everest (left side)

popup a menu ... Acpi tools or like similar

after this search the rigjt commans for extract the SSDT table

Fabio

Ok, I opened MacPro3_1.plist and found StepDataDict and PLimitDict sections. But iMac11_1.plist already has them! Maybe there is no need to add them.

And maybe this could explain why injecting a MacPRO 3.1 and iMac 11.1 (with the properly modified fakesmc.kext) gives good temps. But injecting a MacPro 4.1 always gave me higher temps. To achieve better results with a Macpro 4.1 you must apply this changes.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I missed something, but this seems logic to me... :(

If you look closer you'll see the data in the StepData dictionary is completely different though. I was booting in 32bit mode and using MSRTools to observe the stepping behavior. It looked best when using MacPro3,1. With iMac11,1 the processor was constantly bouncing around between states and took a very long time to go to a 1.6Ghz idle speed and never stayed there for long. Try for yourself and see what you find.

@jp1900

If you want to try the openSUSE disk again, I think you hit F3 to change your video mode if you want to try that. I'm assuming you got a black screen or no desktop.

If you look closer you'll see the data in the StepData dictionary is completely different though. I was booting in 32bit mode and using MSRTools to observe the stepping behavior. It looked best when using MacPro3,1. With iMac11,1 the processor was constantly bouncing around between states and took a very long time to go to a 1.6Ghz idle speed and never stayed there for long. Try for yourself and see what you find.

You are completely right! Monitoring with Msrtools, iMac 11.1 has cpu nearly always on top, using also the turbo multi just for nothing. Switching back to MacPRO3.1's fakesmc & smbios.plist gives a really more stable & efficent CPU use.

I'm always at 2ghz in idle (I overclocked the BCLK, so it's 2ghz instead of 1.6 for me, that's normal) and it goes up with clock when needed, not just for nothing.

Thank you for pointing out this!!!

EDIT: I injected a 4.1 with all suggested mods in fakesmc.kext and adding the missing lines in MacPro4_1.plist, but it behaves exactly as when injecting the iMac 11.1, with CPU at its top.

Best configuration 4 me remains injecting a MacPRO 3.1