886 posts in this topic

Credits to Black Trinitron

Requirements:

CPU-Intel or AMD with the right kernel

VirtualBox 3.1.4_BETA1

PE patch WindowsXP x32->in progress

PE patch WindowsXP x64->here

Seems SSSE3 is already enabled

Doesnt work for me on x64. I get a panic right after ACPI init. I also compared CPU-Z information between 3.1.2 modified and 3.1.4BETA modified- no SSSE3 support in 3.1.4BETA.

I have snow working in 3.1.2 x64 modified, but was hoping 3.1.4 would fix the network issues.

i get the same panic....

OK guys... let me explore this but mine is working fine

Using iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition on AMD cpu and kernel Voodoo 9.5.0 Intel/AMD SSE2/SSE3

No need of SSSE3

post-532657-1265116296_thumb.gif

Try alternative kernels VirtualBox compatible and post your experiences with Leo & SL please

;)

hey guys,

first, i'm from germany and my english is'nt that well, so sorry for that.

I've tried to install OSX in a VirtualBox and everything worked fine,

but after the restart...it crashed and i can't boot the os.

After hours of "googling" around, i decided to ask here, for a solution.

My System is a ThinkPad T61p, with a Intel T7700.

It runs with Ubuntu 9.10 64bit and i use VirtualBox 3.1.2 r56127

I tried to install IDeneb 1.5_1057.

I followed the guide in the first post step by step,

but now i got the following error message:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001ACDE2): "commpage no match for last, next adress ffff1000"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.12.14/osfmk/i386/commpage/commpage.c:319

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x14b5be48 : 0x12b4c6 (0x45ec20 0x14b5be7c 0x133355c 0x0)

0x14b5be98 : 0x1acde2 (0x469538 0xffff1000 0x2000 0x51e2b0)

0x14b5beb8 : 0x1ad233 (0x0 0x14b5bf14 0x2000 0x0)

0x14b5bf38 : 0x1ad45b (0xffff0000 0x51e248 0x0 0x52b360=

0x14b5bf88 : 0x183239 (0x24eac10 0x1 0x0 0x5470c0)

0x14b5bfa8 : 0x138212 (0x0 0x0 0x13189e 0x0)

0x14b5bfc8 : 0x1a14ec (0x0 0xffffffff 0x1a402a 0x0)

Macktrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Umknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set:

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: True Ma...

System model name: VirtualBox

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope somebody can help me....

Hello, long time reader first time poster here :)

I started reading about this some two days ago and decided it would be a fun experiment and an easy (better yet, easily reversible) way to test out OS X. The most frustrating thing when doing these is following the instructions to the letter and not getting the same results. I really did go as much as I possibly could without asking for help.

My first goal was to get a fully functioning Leopard, not just as an intermediary OS in installing Snow Leopard. I'm going to describe a couple of pitfalls I encountered (some due to a lack of concentration, some not) and I suggest that OP adds my comments to the first post so others wouldn't make the same mistakes. Some of these haven't been resolved yet, so I kindly ask for assistance.

1. If you're using VirtualBox for the first time, make sure the image you created is in a partition that has enough free space for the install. You might not notice the problem straight away since extendable partitions start out as less then 100Ki, but during the installation they expand to a couple of Gi, so be sure to place it somewhere space wont be a problem. Sounds silly, but this might save you an hour or two :)

2. Following the instructions to the letter meant I had 2 devices on the IDE controller: the HDD and DVD. This configuration, no matter the Primary/Secondary and Master/Slave settings failed to boot the OS for me. If you start booting the OS you get the prohibition sign (a crossed out circle). Booting in verbose mode (pressing F8, or in my case any key, as soon as the virtual machine is started and then booting with the parameter -v) will tell you that the boot loader can't access the boot partition (you keep getting the message "still waiting for boot resource" or something to that effect). After some time it becomes apparent that the solution is connecting your virtual HDD on a SATA controller not an IDE. I haven't tried it, but this probably should be the setup from the get-go, but installing with the IDE setup, and then changing it in VirtualBox gets you booted into Mac OS X Leopard.

3. While the SATA HDD/IDE DVD setup does manage to boot the OS, there is no way whatsoever to access the CD/DVD drive. It doesn't show up in the /dev folder, it doesn't show up in the System profiler, it's simply invisible to the OS. This makes installing VirtualBox tools on the guest Mac OS impossible, along with full use of the OS. AFAIK It is not possible to mount ISO/DMG images on any other controller then IDE, and it's not possible to boot your HDD if it's not connected via SATA. So this is currently an irresolvable situation.

4. I haven't been able to get my network working either. I realize there are steps (step #21 in the current version of the opening post) that take care of this, but they are not applicable on the Leopard OS. Completing these steps out of sequence (right after installing Leo, instead after installing Snow as in the guide) results in an invalid state for the Virtual machine which prevents VirtualBox from starting it or even configuring it (you have to use a text editor to undo the changes).

I realize that to most of us it makes most sense to just go for Snow from the get-go. But since there is no dedicated Leo thread and this one serves for both Mac OS versions, I think this guide should enable those who dare thread this path to set up both fully functioning OSes.

hey guys,

first, i'm from germany and my english is'nt that well, so sorry for that.

It runs with Ubuntu 9.10 64bit and i use VirtualBox 3.1.2 r56127

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001ACDE2): "commpage no match for last, next adress ffff1000"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.12.14/osfmk/i386/commpage/commpage.c:319

Debugger called: <panic>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope somebody can help me....

I'm not englishman, so sorry me too.

I say nothing to you about Linux host of VB(I'm running Win VB),

but seems your CPU doesn't support some instructions, like SSE, etc.

So, try to use appropriate kernel to your CPU from installation of osx(or use other installation)

1. If you're using VirtualBox for the first time, make sure the image you created is in a partition that has enough free space for the install. You might not notice the problem straight away since extendable partitions start out as less then 100Ki, but during the installation they expand to a couple of Gi, so be sure to place it somewhere space wont be a problem. Sounds silly, but this might save you an hour or two :)

There is explanation in VB wizard 'Create New Vitrtual Disk' ;)

2. Following the instructions to the letter meant I had 2 devices on the IDE controller: the HDD and DVD. This configuration, no matter the Primary/Secondary and Master/Slave settings failed to boot the OS for me. If you start booting the OS you get the prohibition sign (a crossed out circle). Booting in verbose mode (pressing F8, or in my case any key, as soon as the virtual machine is started and then booting with the parameter -v) will tell you that the boot loader can't access the boot partition (you keep getting the message "still waiting for boot resource" or something to that effect). After some time it becomes apparent that the solution is connecting your virtual HDD on a SATA controller not an IDE. I haven't tried it, but this probably should be the setup from the get-go, but installing with the IDE setup, and then changing it in VirtualBox gets you booted into Mac OS X Leopard.

Some installation images don't have AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext. So, you can't use IDE and need to install AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext or use SATA

3. While the SATA HDD/IDE DVD setup does manage to boot the OS, there is no way whatsoever to access the CD/DVD drive. It doesn't show up in the /dev folder, it doesn't show up in the System profiler, it's simply invisible to the OS. This makes installing VirtualBox tools on the guest Mac OS impossible, along with full use of the OS. AFAIK It is not possible to mount ISO/DMG images on any other controller then IDE, and it's not possible to boot your HDD if it's not connected via SATA. So this is currently an irresolvable situation.

Restriction of VB, but can be fixed.

4. I haven't been able to get my network working either. I realize there are steps (step #21 in the current version of the opening post) that take care of this, but they are not applicable on the Leopard OS. Completing these steps out of sequence (right after installing Leo, instead after installing Snow as in the guide) results in an invalid state for the Virtual machine which prevents VirtualBox from starting it or even configuring it (you have to use a text editor to undo the changes).

Strange. I'm have working network on iDeneb_v1.3_10.5.5. :unsure:

changing HDD to S-ATA does'nt help :-(

And, my CPU does support SSE3 and so on....

VT is activated at the BIOS and at VirtualBox

edit: pressing F8 and the "boot verbose" gave me this more informative error:

post-568294-1265240658_thumb.png

Edited by tgraupne

Guys, Installing Leopard is not for the faint of heart. I have failed and googled sooo many times its not funny.

you guys with the commpage panics - the problem is that VB doesnt support the SSSE3 instructions, even if your processor does. So you need to patch your VB with the files presented earlier on this board for SSSE3 support, OR use a distro with a patched kernel. BTW: I dont know if there is a patched kernel for Snow.

SATA vs IDE: I have also had very different experiences with distros. I have ideneb 1.3 and some version of iPC. I find that iDeneb is the best for me. When installing iDeneb, somewhere before you hit the install button, you must hit the customize button. Look for ICH Fix or PIIX IDE and select it for install. Doing this will install the kext necessary for Leopard to work with the VB IDE controller.

There an easy way to do this with a vanilla Leopard/Snow Leopard disk? I have both and would love to avoid needing to DL an iso.

I don't think so. The virtual hardware VirtualBox emulates is not what OS X was designed to work on. In fact, some installations of OS X have been tailored to recognize (and reject) virtual hardware. This means you need to use a custom installation for Leo. The custom installation is patched in such a manner that the restrictions on the virtual hardware are lifted and that drivers (kexts) are installed which allow smooth installing.

It's a bit easier to upgrade from Leo to Snow, and you can use your original install disc, but you still need to mess around with the drivers (kexts) after the install in order to get all the virtual hardware working properly.

This guide could stand some improvements to help people with no experience in OSx86 getting stuck, but it really isn't that complicated once you figure some things out :(. But it will never be as straightforward as popping the original disc in a genuine Mac and installing.

Thanks - your solution to #2 worked great; still trying to figure out #4 (network).

Hello, long time reader first time poster here :)

I started reading about this some two days ago and decided it would be a fun experiment and an easy (better yet, easily reversible) way to test out OS X. The most frustrating thing when doing these is following the instructions to the letter and not getting the same results. I really did go as much as I possibly could without asking for help.

My first goal was to get a fully functioning Leopard, not just as an intermediary OS in installing Snow Leopard. I'm going to describe a couple of pitfalls I encountered (some due to a lack of concentration, some not) and I suggest that OP adds my comments to the first post so others wouldn't make the same mistakes. Some of these haven't been resolved yet, so I kindly ask for assistance.

I realize that to most of us it makes most sense to just go for Snow from the get-go. But since there is no dedicated Leo thread and this one serves for both Mac OS versions, I think this guide should enable those who dare thread this path to set up both fully functioning OSes.

Updated!

Hi guys

New VirtualBox-3.1.4_BETA2 works out of the box, no patched files needed.

Might work under no window$ hosts.

Still need it to add the following to you virtual machine .xlm

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

(Network needs fix/patch)

(Sound needs fix/patch)

USB 2.0 working fine, you could attach external hard disk or USB ethernet? (to explore)

Host Windows x64 - 4GB

Recommended Requirements: CPU Intel Core or AMD x2 ( with SSE3 ), 1GB memory virtual machine

OS iDeneb_v1.6_1058_LE just 2.96 GB iso

Needed components underline

post-532657-1266427675_thumb.gif

post-532657-1265412788_thumb.gif

Great post!

I was looking for a way to get Snow up and running on VB for a long time...

I have one question tho, here is now my internet connection goes:

My PC -> Network Card -> Router -> DSL -> ISP

I tried EVERYTHING and didn't succeed in having internet connecton on Leo Virtual Machine.

When I install Snow Leo, will I be able to bring internet to it?

And how do I configure it? Just select "bridget network" and select my real network adapter on the list? ;)

Cheers

Hi everyone !

It is really awesome to be able to boot and install MAcoSX on virtualbox !

Great !

Actually, i've installed MAC OS X 10.5.7 - iDeneb and it works perfectly execpt sound,I select AC97 in the installation but nothing work,so I install the AC97 from the SnowLeopardISO posted from a last post but nothing too =(

What i've to do to get sound working ?

PS : Sorry for my bad englsih,i'm french ;)

Today i finally succeded too in installing iDeneb 1.5.1 ( leo 10.5.7 ) on VirtualBox 3.1.2 ( not patched ), my machine is an Intel.

The key to overcome the problem was using Qoopz as kernel and installing all the patches ACPI related i found.

A friend of mine had success too on an AMD AthlonX2+ using the same kernel and configuration.

During the istallation i selected just the drivers ( i tought ) were right for my machine, but with no success in enabling network and audio features.

I virtualized my net card as an Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop ( bridged ) , and my audio board as an ICH AC97.

I really don't know how set up these 2 devices working, if someone could write down a couple of suggestions about, it would be really appreciated ;)

Also i would set my native screen resolution but obviously i can see only the 1024x768 resolution int the System Preferences monitor and, again, if someone has an idea on how to overcome this thing too, it would be really helpful!

Tnx in advance XD

Today i finally succeded too in installing iDeneb 1.5.1 ( leo 10.5.7 ) on VirtualBox 3.1.2 ( not patched ), my machine is an Intel.

The key to overcome the problem was using Qoopz as kernel and installing all the patches ACPI related i found.

A friend of mine had success too on an AMD AthlonX2+ using the same kernel and configuration.

During the istallation i selected just the drivers ( i tought ) were right for my machine, but with no success in enabling network and audio features.

I virtualized my net card as an Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop ( bridged ) , and my audio board as an ICH AC97.

I really don't know how set up these 2 devices working, if someone could write down a couple of suggestions about, it would be really appreciated :)

Also i would set my native screen resolution but obviously i can see only the 1024x768 resolution int the System Preferences monitor and, again, if someone has an idea on how to overcome this thing too, it would be really helpful!

Tnx in advance XD

Yes I'm using Qoopz kernel too, not using anything else, still. iDeneb recognizes my network card (the same you are using) and I can connect my virtual machine to my real network. But I cannot use the INTERNET ;)

Haven't tried to fix the Audio yet, since I'm installing Snow Leopard. For the resolution, just type "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" (or whatever resolution you need) at the boot screen. Then run the VM in fullscreen and you'll feel just like on a real Mac :D

Cheers

Yes I'm using Qoopz kernel too, not using anything else, still. iDeneb recognizes my network card (the same you are using) and I can connect my virtual machine to my real network. But I cannot use the INTERNET ;)

Haven't tried to fix the Audio yet, since I'm installing Snow Leopard. For the resolution, just type "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" (or whatever resolution you need) at the boot screen. Then run the VM in fullscreen and you'll feel just like on a real Mac :)

Cheers

lol so u even didnt install the drivers for the lan card? Or ACPI fixes?

Do u know a way to set up permanently the "Graphics Mode" without having to type it before every boot?

THANKS A LOT for ure reply anyway!!

p.s. i can be wrong but probably you entered a wrong subnet mask so u cannot reach the internet, try setting manually the net connection ( if u didn't ) caring to set the same subnet u're using on the host machine ( usually 255.255.255.0 )

the guest's ip is in the same layer of the host? for instance:

host = 192.168.0.100, guest = 192.168.0.101

lol so u even didnt install the drivers for the lan card? Or ACPI fixes?

Do u know a way to set up permanently the "Graphics Mode" without having to type it before every boot?

THANKS A LOT for ure reply anyway!!

p.s. i can be wrong but probably you entered a wrong subnet mask so u cannot reach the internet, try setting manually the net connection ( if u didn't ) caring to set the same subnet u're using on the host machine ( usually 255.255.255.0 )

the guest's ip is in the same layer of the host? for instance:

host = 192.168.0.100, guest = 192.168.0.101

Try this:

editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist inside de Ideneb installation

and entering "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" in Kernel Flags

I tried every possible combination of configuration for my network ;) I mostly experimented with this:

[Router IP]

[Windows 7 x64 Host Network Card]

-> Automatic Configuration Using DHCP:

IP: 192.168.178.26

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.178.1

DNS: 192.168.178.1

[VirtualBox Configuration]

Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (Bridged adapter, Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20))

[Leopard Network Configuration]

-> Manual Configuration (Automatic didn't work, the network self-addressed)

IP: 192.168.178.27

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.178.1 (I tried with this, and I also tried with 192.168.178.26)

DNS: 192.168.178.1 (I tried with this, and I also tried with 192.168.178.26, and I also tried with 208.67.222.222 (I use OpenDNS) )

I also tried NAT, and Windows ICS combinations, none worked....