Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

i have iDeneb 10.5.5 perfectly running on my Karmic. But I want to add my Snow Leo .vdi created in windows. when i add it to linux VB i get a KP : local ACPI not as expected... on windows it work great.

Karmic is my primary OS, so it is better for me to use snow leo in linux, bcs when Lucid Lynx comes out i will get rid of Window$ 4ever.

when i add my 10.5.5 .vdi to windows VB it works also great...

Hi MacWantABe,

Yes, I used retail SL image.

My installation steps for Core i7, Vista(x64) were as follows:

0. Installed Leo. I used Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd. System type was FreeBSD 32bit.

1. Installed SL in accordance with Black Trinitron's instructions. No printers and no languages.

2. Before booting SL, replaced boot loader and kernel of SL. I used Chameleon RC3 PC EFI 10.5 for boot loader.

Tried several kernels, but finally I chose AnV kernel.

3. Changed VM settings for SL, removed IDE controller and added SATA. Attached SL HDD image created at step 1 to SATA port 0. No CD-ROM drive, because VBox doesn't support CD-ROM for SATA.

4. Booted SL with boot option: arch=i386 -v

VBox settins:

- System type is FreeBSD 64bit

- 2048MB memory, 1 processor, enabling IO APIC, PAE, VT-x/AMD-V, and Nested paging.

- 128MB video memory.

- ICH AC97 audio.

- Bridge adapter, Intel PRO/1000 MT Server.

- No serial port.

- Enabling USB controller, USB 2.0 (EHCI) controller.

Note that I tried to boot the successfully booted SL HDD image on another PC, which is C2D XP 32bit,

but it caused KP.

Thanks man! I'll give that a try. My question though is how did you replace the kernel? I know how to replace mach_kernel, that's easy. Then do you replace system.kext that came with the one that came with AvN? If you can remember, what were the steps for swapping out the kernel that you used? I'm sort of a born-again noob with OSX86 projects, but this has got me interested again. I tried searching for info on installing different kernels, but everything I've found pushes you in the direction of using a custom installer for (snow)leopard that has the kernel in the OSX installer. Thanks again for you help!

Sorry,

This is what I get: Local APIC version 0x11, 0x14 or more expected....

Well... AFAIK APIC VB sources are been already updated to 0x14 as shown, and expected in next VB release

post-532657-1267306874_thumb.jpg

You can give a go to latest SVN... might hold your craving

ilportalinux.it/repository/pool/binary/dists/intrepid/i386/virtualbox/

Then do you replace system.kext that came with the one that came with AvN? If you can remember, what were the steps for swapping out the kernel that you used? I'm sort of a born-again noob with OSX86 projects, but this has got me interested again. I tried searching for info on installing different kernels, but everything I've found pushes you in the direction of using a custom installer for (snow)leopard that has the kernel in the OSX installer. Thanks again for you help!

I put AnV's System.kext into SL HDD like following steps from Leo:

sudo sh

cd Downloads/Snow Kernels/AnV\ 10.2.0/

cp -rp System.kext /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

chown -r root:wheel /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

rm /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Actually, at my first try, I didn't swap SL retail kernel but simply put extra kernels (AnV, Legacy, etc) into / directory as individual name as following steps:

Booted Leo, opened terminal, SL HDD was mounted on /Volumes/Snow, extra kernels were downloaded into "~/Downloads/Snow Kernels",

sudo sh

cd Downloads/Snow Kernels

cd AnV\ 10.2.0/

cp mach_kernel /Volumes/Snow/mach_anv

cd ../Legacy\ 10.2.0/

cp mach_kernel /Volumes/Snow/mach_legacy

(repeat for all downloaded kernels...)

Shutdown Leo and boot SL by specifying option at chameleon boot screen:

mach_anv arch=i386 -v

Watch screen, check whether it successfully boot or not, then try next kernel....

well, my SL didnt last long :wacko: when updating, at the end when registering components i got KP, since then can't boot anymore :wacko: KP saying : Kernel trap bla bla bla...:wacko:

Any suggestions how to fix it?or just reinstall?

as far as i noticed SL worked good on ubuntu, didnt need to add extradata for network, it worked just fine(in windows it was hard to get to work). some sound just when changing the sounds, also youtube videos had a big lag but it had sound. also the mouse flickers when moving in the dock.

Hey guys. I'm having this really strange issue: I follow this guide to the letter, and I install everything fine, but when it comes time to bot into leopard, it just tells me "You have to restart your machine". There is some message about a "panic" or something in the terminal text behind it:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001AAEB8): "commpage no match for last, next adress ffff1000"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.7.58/osfmk/i386/commpage/commpage.c:319

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

... (lots of random addresses that I'm sure won't help and I don't want to copy down)

... (random addresses)

... (random addresses)

... (random addresses)

... (random addresses)

... (random addresses)

... (random addresses)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

This is making me very frustrated. I've tried almost every driver combination thing in the customize menu, tried running with cpus=1 and cpus=2 but nothing works. I just always get this error when I try to load into leopard. Someone help!

Specs:

nVidia GeForce 9800 GT (Video Card)

2.8ghz Intel Core i7-860 (Quad-Core Processor)

Intel® H57 PCH (Chipset)

8GB DDR3-1333 SDRAM (RAM)

1TB 7200RPM SATA Disk (Hard Drive)

VB Specs:

Base Memory: 2048 MB

Processor(s): 4

Video Memory: 21 MB

So, what am I doing wrong? I would GREATLY appreciate any help as I would love to get this running. If any one needs any more information to help me, please ask and I shall gladly provide it. Thanks in advance for your help.

VB Specs:

Base Memory: 2048 MB

Processor(s): 4

Video Memory: 21 MB

So, what am I doing wrong? I would GREATLY appreciate any help as I would love to get this running. If any one needs any more information to help me, please ask and I shall gladly provide it. Thanks in advance for your help.

cerdric,

1st off, make sure virtualization is enabled in your motherboard BIOS. This is the most important and easiest to miss. Set your VBox settings up just like mine. It's OK to have VBox patched first before doing anything by the way, everything will still work, so if you've already patched, leave it the way it is.

VBox 3.1.4 settings:

Operating System: BSD

Version: FreeBSD

RAM: 2046MB

Boot Order: 1. CD/DVD-ROM (Selected), 2. Hard Disk (Selected), 3. Floppy, 4. Network

IP APIC: Enabled

EFI: Disabled

Processor: 1

PAE/NX: Enabled

VT-x/AMD-V: Enabled

Nested Paging: Enabled

Video Memory: 128MB

3D Acceleration: Enabled

2D Acceleration: Disabled

Remote Display: Disabled

Storage: SATA Controller with Leopard.vdi (your virtual hard drive) and IDE Controller (ICH6) for your CD/DVD drive(s) (removed Floppy controller)

Audio: Enabled, Windows DirectSound, ICH AC97 (don't have it working in Leopard yet, haven't tried)

Network: Bridged Adapter to Intel Pro/1000 MT Server

Serial: Disabled

USB: Enabled controller and 2.0 (EHCI)

Only use 1 CPU with i7 in VBox. Crank up your video memory all the way, your card can handle it (128MB). Close VBox. Edit the VBox machine xml file and make sure the following are added in the "<Extra Data>" section:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000f/0/Trusted" value="integer:1"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/PDM/Devices/PcExt/Path" value="VBoxDD3"/>

Don't worry, it's ok to add these now. Save your changes to the xml file. Open your network adapter settings in Windows and bridge the VBox adapter with your active network adapter. Then reopen VBox and set networking up for "bridged" and the Adapter Type under advanced for "Intel PRO/1000 MT Server". Save your changes and reinstall Leo. I used iDeneb 1.4 and it worked awesome and I know iDeneb 1.3 works as well (haven't tried any others). I chose the following packages by clicking custom:

Chipset: ICHx Fixed

Network: Intel100ProVE

After it installs, reboot, but when it shows the VBox BIOS screen, force the virtual machine off. Change the boot order so the hard drive is first. Save, and boot Leopard. If it worked correctly, you won't even need to use "-v". I am only using the version of Chameleon that came with iDeneb (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). All is working great for me on my i7 this way and I have a vanilla kernel. If you're still having KPs after following this, use the "-v" and post again, and I will reinstall Leo and write the exact steps that I used to get everything working.

Now... If only I could get SL booting...

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Minatsu-T,

I followed your guide and I'm farther along than I was before, thanks! Yet I still can't get SL to boot. It boots, switches from the chameleon background to black screen and freezes in the same place with all of the kernels I've tried so far. I attached a screenshot. Anyone know what's going on here? Is there a kext I'm missing? I'm almost there...

post-162417-1267357531_thumb.png

Thank you for all your help MacWantABe! It works now. Don't know what I did wrong though. Good luck getting it runnnig for you, as well!

No problem. I think the issue that u had was enabling more than 1 CPU... I put the rest of the info for anyone else having issues...

Well, thank you all for your help.

with your suggestions I found another way to install SL from retail DVD.

Now I have SL up and running in Ubuntu 9.10 & Windows 7, the network in Ubuntu works out of the box, also with NAT. The sound sucks in Ubuntu and Windows.

I made a little how-to for those who use Ubuntu: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php...art=270#p126761

I can now confirm that it works with Ubuntu 9.10 host!!!VBox version 3.1.51

SVN 26899 awaiting for you...

Excellent tutorial @

forums.virtualbox.org

Some more help?

Lazy way to repair permissions, pfix v3.0 and other SL stuff

osx86.sojugarden.com

Happy VirtualBoxing!

Which is better: dbg or simple svn?

SVN will do fine

Also I would like to know how to detect which extension does not work properly?

Troubleshooting KP, from prasys.co.cc website:

To do this , its very simple - all you have to do is

1. (Re)Boot your PC

2. When you are in the Chameleon menu (aka when count down starts) hit Tab once

3. Then type (without quotes) “debug=0x144″ or “debug=0x14e” . This will give you a traceback which is useful for you on understanding what is causing the kernel problem. Once you have found the cause you may then seek in forums on how to rectify it

well, does not give me anything.

The thing is I want to find out why it doesn't boot with 2 cpus. Everytime I try I get KP : Spinlock aquisition timed out bla bla bla.

I think the DSDT must be patched because it worked in iDeneb LE with vanilla kernel after patching DSDT, but when I patched with the same patch SL it didn' work.

P.S. SL Server also works in VBox fine.

Hi, what CPU do you have? If you haven't a Intel Core2 Duo you need a compatible KERNEL.

Do you have one of this?

post-532657-1267650024_thumb.png

:happymac:

I have Core2Duo, Win7 Ultimate x64. VB config as the first post, and, r u Vietnamese ;)

did you delete the kexts as it says in the first post for cpu managment when you installed mac?

do you mean NullCPUM when customize ??