Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

well i have working iDeneb 10.5.5, iDeneb 10.5.8 Lite, iAtkos 10.5.7, iPC 10.5.6 on my Ubuntu 9.10 x86 host and VB 3.1.2. still trying SnowLeo 10.6by Hazard(installs, but does not boot, KP everytime, verbose mentioned about DSDT, installed voodoo 9.0.5 kernel, got ACPI kernel panics or so)

10.5.5 network sometimes works, sometimes not, other versions have no network. no sound in any version.

didnt apply any patches, just entered extradata one line. will try later to get network to work.

BlackTr, thanks for the extradata lines :thumbsup_anim:

I think you need to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement from System/Library/Extensions after update, then rebuild kext cache

Did you download the patches manually first, install it, and remove unnecessary kext files?

I think if I use the software update utility, it enables kext as it installs, and when it reaches at about 80-90%, I get a kernel panic, and everything is messed up from that point on.

I am downloading the software and planning to do an manual update so I can remove kext myself before rebooting. I will see if this works.

Any tips that you had to deal with would be very appreciated.

mrwrx

I was finally able to update to 10.6.2!!! I dont know exactly what step really fixed the problem but this is what I did:

Downloaded the Snow 10.6.2 Combo Update.

Shutdown

Took a snapshot.

Started Snow

I went to http://www.taranfx.com/how-to-install-mac-...on-pc-dual-boot site and downloaded the kext, tools, and misc to Snow. I copy AppleRTC.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext to the Extra\Extensions folder. I did not overwrite the files from Black Trinitron (fakesmc.kext and PlatformUUID.kext) as it appeared that Black Tr's fakesmc was a newer version. I had placed VBMMdevice.kext in System\Library\Extensions previously and decided to move it to the Extra\Extensions folder.

The tools folder contains ShowAllFiles application that does Snowutlis.iso does and Kext Utility. I installed the Kext Utility had let it repair the permissions and rebuild the kextcache files.

Shutdown

Took a snapshot (Did I mention that snapshots are good!)

Started Snow again

Ran the Update (During this time I did nothing else on the PC but moved the mouse to prevent my laptop from turn off the backlight. This time it got all the way through the update and needed to restart Snow. It rebooted just fine! I then played around with Snow then shut down again to merge all my snapshots.

My guess is that the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext made the difference.

I couldn't attach the tools.zip file because it was too big, but search this site for Kext Utility to download it.

BTW I am trying to build the 64bit version of the network driver but VirtualBox doesnt make this an easy process.

Black Trinitron - Should I check out a specific version from SVN to build against?

kexts.zip

Misc.zip

Did you download the patches manually first, install it, and remove unnecessary kext files?

I think if I use the software update utility, it enables kext as it installs, and when it reaches at about 80-90%, I get a kernel panic, and everything is messed up from that point on.

I am downloading the software and planning to do an manual update so I can remove kext myself before rebooting. I will see if this works.

Any tips that you had to deal with would be very appreciated.

I have downloaded the 'Snow 10.6.2 Combo Update' manually.

I have got kernel panic after update installed (how I remember at 99%).

Then I loaded Leopard, removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Started Snow again->all booted normally

I propose to use way brjones provided:

use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (I have tried NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, but it didn't works for me... Maybe I had old version)

Black Trinitron,

how did you manage to install iDeneb 1.3 under VB? What kernel I should choose?

I managed to install iDeneb 1.6, but under this disto I cannot install Chameleon from CD with utilities. I got message "Writing Package Receipt".

Any solution?

Update on 10.6.2 ordeal:

1. I've installed AppleRTC, NullCPU, OpenHalt kext(s) prior to installation, and ran setup all the way to 100%. Rebooted, and it failed to boot.

2. Without above three kext installation, I was still able to install the update all the way to 100% by deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement as soon as the setup wrote it. (used a script to go through infinite loop and delete it as soon as it was written) After setup was done, I rebuilt the cache/permission/etc, but it failed to boot.

3. I've done both 1 & 2 in the same session, and still failed to boot.

Attached screenshot of the boot up screen. It gets stuck there.

post-558993-1264645905_thumb.jpg

Ok I used the PCWIZ vmware Leopard image instead of installing leopard and its fast and works good my only problem is no sound and no networking. has anyone gotten it to work with any version if OS X? if you guys want more info of my system and what I did you make it boot from the vmware image let me know.

10.6.2 Update:

It just occured to me that before I installed the kexts I reinstalled the BSD because the Disk Utility could not repair permissions. See the link from my previous post and look for Disk Utility Permission fix error on how to do it. Pretty sure I used Kext Helper to repair permissions after I copy the kexts to Extra\Extensions though.

I am currently in the process of reinstalling Leo to create another Snow install to try it again.

Black Trinitron,

how did you manage to install iDeneb 1.3 under VB? What kernel I should choose?

I managed to install iDeneb 1.6, but under this disto I cannot install Chameleon from CD with utilities. I got message "Writing Package Receipt".

Any solution?

I didn't select any kernel version. I have installed all packages by default.

Update on 10.6.2 ordeal:

1. I've installed AppleRTC, NullCPU, OpenHalt kext(s) prior to installation, and ran setup all the way to 100%. Rebooted, and it failed to boot.

2. Without above three kext installation, I was still able to install the update all the way to 100% by deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement as soon as the setup wrote it. (used a script to go through infinite loop and delete it as soon as it was written) After setup was done, I rebuilt the cache/permission/etc, but it failed to boot.

3. I've done both 1 & 2 in the same session, and still failed to boot.

Attached screenshot of the boot up screen. It gets stuck there.

Try to delete all from /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

Hi,

first of all thank you guys for all. I have Snow Leo on VirtualBox running and I'm quite impressed! Most works perfectly well except a few minor things.

1.) I can't get graphics mode above 1600x1200 I tried the boot param

Graphics Mode"="1920x1200x32"

but I only got 1600x1200. Does anyone know how I could fix that ?

2.) Sound is a bit tricky. I currently got only one speaker (which would be ok) but sound is often very choppy. I used the AppleAC97 kext from the SNUtils.iso.

Any ideas on that ?

Regards,

Zangarin

just wanted to follow up on a post I made last night about networking and sound when using the leopard PCwiz (Xelabo) VMware image with this method. I got networking to work properly heres the quick steps I took.

1. I set up a network bridige between my virtualbox host-only adapter and my lan adapter ( I use a netgear wireless card to connect to the internet) this bridge is only so that we can choose mac bridge because when I choose bridge adapter then my netgear OS X would not boot.

2. once boot I change the configuration of the network to a bridge adapter and picked my netgear ( or whatever you use to connect online with the host computer)

3. disconnect cable hit ok then reconnect cable then hit ok and internet should work.

if anyone could help me with getting sound to work on this vmware image or any OS X version in VB.

I'm not about to attempt to update the OS I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Requirements:

CPU-Intel Core2 Duo

VirtualBox 3.1.2 PE

WindowsXP

Setup of Leopard:

1. Create HDD image(10G min)

2. Create virtual machine:

• -System FreeBSD
  • -'IO APIC' - enabled
  • -Acceleration - enabled
  • -type of IDE controller - ICH6
  • -close VirtualBox
  • -open configuration file of machine(xml)
  • -add string to the section <ExtraData>:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

3. Attach iso with installation of Leopard to the virtual machine(I had iDeneb_v1.3_10.5.5.iso)

4. Setup Leo

I followed every step above, but always stuck at the apple log screen(grey apple with a flashing circle), I am using:

- Intel core duo T2500

-Windows XP 32bit

-vb 3.1.2 pe

-iATKOS_v7.iso

is there anything I missed?

10.6.2 Update: I created another VM of snow to test what kext needs to be installed. I found that as long as I have Disabler or NullCPUPowerManager (both even) in the Extra/Extensions folder it updates and reboots. I believe that you MUST run Kext Helper to update the caches and repair permissions before you run the 10.6.2 Update (Combo).

Sound: Yep the sound doesnt work all that great. Sometime it boots with sound sometimes not. It also only uses the right speaker.

Network: The problem with the network is that OS X cant seem to get the MAC address from VBox. Somewhere back a few posts mrwrx gave us the answer. Its OK once you get used to it. Look for the post, but it goes like this: Get mac address that VBox assigns. Its located in the VB network settings. Load up snow (if its not already). Go to Terminal. Enter ifconfig. It will show you the network info. You should see a en1 adapter. Type in terminal sudo ifconfig en1 ether <MAC_ADDRESS> <Enter> Mac_address should look like - 08:00:27:11:22:33. Go back to VBox network settings and clear the 'Cable connected' checkbox. Hit OK, wait 5 seconds or so, then go back and check the 'cable connected'. You should soon have a network going!

For the guys installing Leo: Leopard does not have support for the IDE controllers supported by VBox, so you have to install one. I deneb 1.3 has an option for ICH Fix. Look for PIIX or ICH drivers! If you dont, you have to change your Storage settings to an SATA drive. Problem here is that VBox doesnt support a CDDrive in SATA. My experience anyway!

Good luck.

Network: The problem with the network is that OS X cant seem to get the MAC address from VBox. Somewhere back a few posts mrwrx gave us the answer. Its OK once you get used to it. Look for the post, but it goes like this: Get mac address that VBox assigns. Its located in the VB network settings. Load up snow (if its not already). Go to Terminal. Enter ifconfig. It will show you the network info. You should see a en1 adapter. Type in terminal sudo ifconfig en1 ether <MAC_ADDRESS> <Enter> Mac_address should look like - 08:00:27:11:22:33. Go back to VBox network settings and clear the 'Cable connected' checkbox. Hit OK, wait 5 seconds or so, then go back and check the 'cable connected'. You should soon have a network going!

does not work for me. what should i use: host, nat, bridget? i get all the ip's but not the mac adress

I have bridged network working beautifully.

All I did was using the Patch from Black Trinitrion and I use

Intel Pro/1000 MT Server (82545EM)

as adapter type.

My system:

VBox 3.1.2 OSE self compiled

host system: debian unstable

Guest: Snow Leo (snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg) No 10.6.2 patch applied since I can't boot afterwards anymore

Sidenote: It seems like Sun (or Oracle) released a new PUEL BETA:

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/3.1.4_BETA1/

Unfortunatley for me it looks like SSSE3 is still turned off. I can't boot with it. I patched the APIC stuff sucessfully but I get a KP afterwards. So still no USB on linux :P

I noticed that before "Starting Darwing x86" it reads:

"No DSDT replacement found. Leaving ACPI data as is"

Would this be a clue?

Is ACPI and APIC the same thing??

I've the same problem,

i've try with iAtkos 7 et iDeneb 1.6 lite with different patch and / or kernel version but always the same message

i use Virtual Box 3.1.2 on a Core i7 i don't know if it because of the cpu ?

I've download a vmware 10.5.7 vm, when i first run the vm, it goes directly to OSX, it works, but if i reboot, the system can't start ( i guess it's the darwin loader problem like on virtualbox), is there any issues ?

edit : it works with alternative kernel.

Credits to Black Trinitron

Requirements:

CPU-Intel or AMD with the right kernel

VirtualBox 3.1.4_BETA1

PE patch WindowsXP x32->in progress

PE patch WindowsXP x64->Version_3.1.4_BETA1x64_PE.zip

Update

NOT SSSE3 yet in this beta but added in SVN 25814 the 2010-01-13.

Setup of Leopard:

Overwrite VirtualBox with PE patch

1. Create HDD image(10G min)

2. Create virtual machine:

-System FreeBSD

-'IO APIC' - enabled

-Acceleration - enabled

-type of IDE controller - ICH6 or SATA (faster)

-Totally shutdown VirtualBox

3. -open configuration file of machine(xml)

-add string to the section <ExtraData>:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

4. Setup Leo

Please report

will this work with my computer im sorry for asking here but i am new and therefore do not have the ability to start a new thread hence my post here... anayways here are my specs:

AMD K10

Windows 7 (6.1) Home Premium Edition (Build 7600)

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 2 Cores - 2 Threads

CPU PSN : AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300

CPU EXT : MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE (1, 2, 3, 4A), x86-64, AMD-V

CPUID : F.6.2 / Extended : 10.6

CPU Cache : L1 : 2 x 64 / 2 x 64 KB - L2 : 2 x 512 KB

Core : (45 nm) / Stepping : DA-C2

Freq : 798.61 MHz (199.65 * 4)

MB Brand : Quanta

MB Model : 363F

NB : AMD 785GX rev 00

SB : ATI SB750 rev 00

GPU Type : AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200