Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

So, following a mix of guides. I've managed to install Snow Leopard by first installing Leopard etc.

However I cant get any network connection working in SL. I'm running VB on Windows 7 x64. And I've patched VB with the patched 3.1.4 files. Its not the usual error where you see the network connection but dont get a valid MAC-address etc (which I had in the Leopard installation). Instead "ifconfig" only shows three devices "lo0" "gif0" and "stf0". Did anyone else run into this problem and have a solution?

Thank you guys now my first issue have been resolved i just did another fresh install with anew copy and it booted-up like a charm.

Now I've new problem with the networking unfortunately it seems like I've the only incompatible WiFi card in the world.

When I choose Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN, the VM cannot start.

I've the same wireless card. XD

I'm trying to install iatkos v7. It gets stuck here (attached)

Half the time it gives me a real-time clock not initialized error and kernel panics, though.

edit: other scenario attached

edit2: OK, I figured out what was happening when it didn't kernel panick. VBOX replaces the .xml every time you close the VM so it was erasing the <extradata> line.

post-589355-1268790241_thumb.jpg

post-589355-1268790633_thumb.jpg

So, following a mix of guides. I've managed to install Snow Leopard by first installing Leopard etc.

However I cant get any network connection working in SL. I'm running VB on Windows 7 x64. And I've patched VB with the patched 3.1.4 files. Its not the usual error where you see the network connection but dont get a valid MAC-address etc (which I had in the Leopard installation). Instead "ifconfig" only shows three devices "lo0" "gif0" and "stf0". Did anyone else run into this problem and have a solution?

Seems like I missed setting the machine to FreeBSD (64-bit) intstead of the regular FreeBSD option. Now i can see the interface listed as "en0" when using the "ifconfig" command in a terminal.

Still wont list under System Settings->Network....

Edit: And when I try to use the assistant, it just restarts after finishing.. In a never ending loop.

Edit2: When using the assistant and choosing "diagnostics" i get a prompt telling me that the computer has multiple locations set (though, not one is listed in the box below). Ant it states that the current location is "%@". Is there some kind of file/directory permission that has gone bad?! Or is there a file somewhere that has been corrupted?

Edit3: Issuing the command "sudo networksetup -detectnewhardware" seem to have fixed parts of the networking. I can now see the interface en0 with the correct MAC-address. It also lists correctly under System Settings->Network. But i cant get it to assign the manually configured IP-address.

Running iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) on VirtualBox 3.1.4.

My thanks to the instructions above (and the VBM.zip) for getting networking working. I struggled trying everything

before that and only managed to get the host only adapter working which required an HTTP proxy on my host PC

for internet. Now it works with bridged.

One more problem. The virtualbox passthrough IDE CD/DVD drive doesn't appear to be visible to 10.5.5.

The bootloader can see it (which I how I installed in the first place). But once I'm booted up, it doesn't

appear that I can see the CD/DVD drive. I looked in /dev/... but don't see any /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd devices.

What to do?

hello guys,

I'm trying to install Snow in Virtualbox 3.1.2 (patched) on a win 7 (32bit)-machine with snowosx-iso, as my retail-dvd wont install and I wanted tu bypass the leopard-install.

I eliminated the timeout (because of difficulties with USB), so now it seems to continue, but finally it just terminates or reboots without installing. any ideas? or is it impossible to install snowosx via VB without leopard install?

specs: intel core2duo 1,66 GHz, 2 GB RAM

btw thanks to all contributors out there for the nice job you do!

post-592484-1269376250_thumb.png

I've got SL up and running in VirtualBox 3.1.4 on Windows 7 x64, but i'm still having several issues.

Sacryn was able to resolve part of my Networking Issues (couldn't see the network adapter at all), but i still can't get it to respond and become active when i set the cable to connected. I patched VBox with the 3.1.4 x64 patch provided in the tutorial and my adapter is set to "Intel PRO/1000 MT Server" and is Bridged to my NIC.

I'm having issues rebooting the VM. It hangs at a blue screen until i reset the VM.

If i click on the Apple icon and go to "About this Mac," the screen goes blue and it looks like something crashed (like explorer on Windows). By the way, clicking on that icon and having it crash is the only way i have found to get the CD drive to appear. Doesn't work every time, but sometimes it does (strange).

I don't know how to install the Mouse Integration kext. Coming from Windows, the whole kext idea is a little confusing to me ;) . Can someone give me a quick tutorial?

I'm pretty new to the Mac OS, so if someone can shed some light one these issues for me, i would really appreciate it.

I'm pretty new to the Mac OS, so if someone can shed some light one these issues for me, i would really appreciate it.

osx86tools

All in one automated utility for Mac OSX86 installation and maintenance tasks.

code.google.com/p/osx86tools/

post-532657-1269522351_thumb.jpg

Ok, working with VirtualBox 3.1.4, made the mod to the XML file for the machine. Using iDeneb 1.6 with OSX 10.5.8, with install customization.

I can install, but so far, every time the install has worked, it has decided I have no keyboard and no mouse after it reboots. But the keyboard and mouse work during the install process, so something else is wrong. Thoughts?

osx86tools

All in one automated utility for Mac OSX86 installation and maintenance tasks.

code.google.com/p/osx86tools/

post-532657-1269522351_thumb.jpg

Yea, i found that for my Leopard install, but i have no way of getting it to my Snow Leopard install without the CD drive or networking. Strange problems. Maybe a new VBox version will help. Come on devs ;)

At last!

New VirtualBox 3.1.6 (released 2010-03-25) time for retirement...or not

Testing Windoze version at the moment

Test 1

-Host Seven x64

-AMD CPU

EFI seems to boot Snow Leo CD but... crash! cos my CPU?...anyone with C2D CPU

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/> still need it to bypass hard disk stage

I see not much advance towards OS X

SSS3 should be in

Net running out of the box?

More to come

I have just upgraded to 3.1.6 from 3.1.4.

After the upgrade, my Leopard VM can still boot up.

However, SL VM crashes!!

It seems to me that this is becuase files like VBoxDD2.dll, VBoxVMM.dll are upgraded and my Trinitron's patched version is lost. I have tried to apply the patch again but still VM crashes....

Any help? sound like we need an updated version of Trinitron's patch based on 3.1.6...

If you go to PC-Geeks.Net they will give you premade Mac OS x machines for VmWare and Vmware itself 6 or 6.5,they have Mac tiger ,leopard and snow leopard ,free for download!

Ok, working with VirtualBox 3.1.4, made the mod to the XML file for the machine. Using iDeneb 1.6 with OSX 10.5.8, with install customization.

I can install, but so far, every time the install has worked, it has decided I have no keyboard and no mouse after it reboots. But the keyboard and mouse work during the install process, so something else is wrong. Thoughts?

Get Mactools,google it,it works!

Audio and lan is working.

Audio:

The ISO image contains AppleAC97Audio.kext (Added support of VB sound)

Network:

There is new version of emulation of Intel PRO/1000.

I have sources of patch of Intel PRO/1000 only.

There is only 2 additional binary pathes of VB:

1. APIC to version 14

2. Tell to guest that we support SSSE3

So, you need to find place of such pathces in your binary.

E.g.(Windows binaries):

VBoxDD2.dll, VBoxDD2GC.gc, gcVBoxDD2R0.r0:

replace 11 00 05 00 -> 14 00 05 00 = APIC to version 14h

VBoxVMM.dll:

49 83 E1 08 83 C9 01 23 F1 -> 81 E6 09 02 00 00 90 90 90 = support SSSE3

Is it true that we can patch the files from 3.1.6 installation folder according to the above instruction? How about those VBoxDD3.* files? we can use those that are in the package for patching VB3.1.4?

[update]

- I have tried to search the hex string "49 83 E1 08 83 C9 01 23 F1" in VBoxVMM.dll provided by VB 3.1.6. However, it cannot be found. So, what should I do next?

Is it true that we can patch the files from 3.1.6 installation folder according to the above instruction? How about those VBoxDD3.* files? we can use those that are in the package for patching VB3.1.4?

You can't patch the files according to the instruction. I will try to provide patched files soon.

I think you can use VBoxDD3 from 3.1.4.

You can't patch the files according to the instruction. I will try to provide patched files soon.

Trinitron,

Thanks for your prompt response. While I cannot find the string in VBoxVmm.dll as specified in the instruction, I will wait for your files.

Wing

[update]

- I have tried to search the hex string "49 83 E1 08 83 C9 01 23 F1" in VBoxVMM.dll provided by VB 3.1.6. However, it cannot be found. So, what should I do next?

Sorry. My mistake. You can patch the files according to the instruction. Seems like you tried to apply patch to x64 version. You need to replace 8B C6 B9 08 00 00 00 -> 8B C6 B9 08 02 00 00 in the x64 version of VBoxVMM.dll.

You can download patches from first post.

Waiting VB 3.2...