Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

@Black Trinitron

I have installed OSX 10.6 on Virtualbox in a second Virtual Harddisk and patch snow but know i get a guru meditation by virtualbox. Do you have any idea howto fix this?

00:00:00.349 Supports Supplemental SSE3 or not = 0 (1)

<- a friend of me means, that's the problem. howto activate ssse3?

Thx for your answer.

I succeeded in compiling virtualbox sources (3.1.2, not svn) with apci and sse3 patches (no problem with libraries and other stuff)

Please, could you guys tell what one needs to patch? I don't see how anyone can use the windows provided patches with the source code, so what are the files that need to be modified?

Thanks.

Hi guys just... a little explanation

As Black Triniton states at post number 1

Requirements:

(CPU-Intel Core2 Duo) the same CPU on newest MACs

Check with CPUID soft or similar what set of instructions your CPU supports

For others CPUs is more tricky and you gonna a need an altenative KERNEL supporting the lack of SSSE3, check XXXX://leohazard.com/kernels.html and find your best.

Succesfully I'm running Leopard on Windows 7 x64, AMD Phenom CPU (AMD KERNEL installed), VB 3.1.4 with Black Triniton patches on top (thanks one more time), see my previous post for directions.

I really recommend read the full post, understand and try with loads of patience, with all that SUCCESS is guaranteed!!

Happy VirtualBoxing

For others CPUs is more tricky and you gonna a need an altenative KERNEL supporting the lack of SSSE3, check XXXX://leohazard.com/kernels.html and find your best.

Succesfully I'm running Leopard on Windows 7 x64, AMD Phenom CPU (AMD KERNEL installed), VB 3.1.4 with Black Triniton patches on top (thanks one more time), see my previous post for directions.

Thx juliuscesar!

Following your suggestions, I tried all Snow kernels on leohazard, and finally ran Snow (10.6 retail) successfully on Vista64, Corei7, VB 3.1.2 (guest OS type:FreeBSD 64bit) with Torinitron's patches. Also network works fine!

At first, the most important things for me was disabling IDE controller and using SATA instead (as  already pointed out...).

With SATA some kernels go on booting, but with IDE, 64bit enabled kernels will stuck at "Staring Darwin x86_64" and i386 kernels cause KP.

Work in i386 mode without any boot flags (because these are i386 kernels?):

- BlackNight 10.2.0 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD

- Legacy 10.2.0 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD

- Mobdin 10.0 SSE3 AMD Only

Work in i386 mode with arch=i386 boot flag:

- AnV 10.2.0 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD

Work in x86_64 mode! but very slow:

- PJC 10.2.0 v8 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD

- PJC 10.2.0 v9 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD

Cannot work in both i386 and x86_64 mode:

- retail (Vannila) mach_kernel

- Intel Atom 10.2.0 Only

Thanks.

----

Note: All the above results are tested with Chameleon RC3 PC EFI 10.5.

Hello to everyone!

I'm trying to install Leopard on a virtual machine (with VirtualBox 3.1.4) on Win7 x64, but the machine doesn't read the iso I used; I got the iso converting the dmg image using UltraISO.

Isn't possible to use the original installation dvd?

Edit: (my notebook matches the prerequisites: a Core2Duo T7400 with both vt-x and sssse3 extensions available) I also tried activing EFI from Virtualbox settings or using a RebelEFI iso, but I got no result but a kp.

Things that might help people (aka n00bz) like me (b/c this is not an easy thing to do):

- iDeneb 1.6 Lite worked for me to install Leopard. Follow the installation instructions exactly. If you get errors before installer boots up, delete the virtual machine and HD and try again, following the instructions more carefully (use -v as a boot option to get more details about the problem, then read this forum / google).

- Once iDeneb installed, I had to use '-legacy' at darwin/chameleon screen to run Leopard without getting the 'You need to restart your computer' KP error. I read that this was because I'm on Windows (Vista) x64 and '-legacy' forces 32-bit operation.

- If you get the 'attach mouse and keyboard' error after you install leopard and try to boot, start over and select 'VoodooPS2Controller' in the Customize section of iDeneb installation. (I would choose it on my first attempt, it seems to be a very common problem)

- Inside Leopard, follow instructions to install SL. I used the $29 'upgrade' dvd.

- I had trouble with permissions in the terminal steps. If you are having password/permissions problems, try 'sudo -s', then enter your password. You should see the prompt end in # instead of $. This will give you permission to handle the terminal steps.

- I'm using VB 3.1.4 x64 and installed the patches. Installing the patches means unzipping the patch files and replacing/adding those same files to your Virtual Box installation directory.

- Snow Leopard gave me the same 'You need to restart your computer' KP until I changed my CPU setting from 2 to 1 in VB. (Leopard works with 2 CPUs but Snow Leopard in VirtualBox only worked with 1 CPU ... go figure).

Now, my plea for help:

- Networking on Snow Leopard worked out of the box with my Realtek PCIe Family Controller (for my Ethernet Port) chosen as the Bridged Adapter, but I never connect to my router with a cable (I had to dig one out of the back of a closet just to try it).

- When I choose Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN, the VM cannot start. Giving me this error:

Failed to start the virtual machine SnowLeopard

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostIntergaceNetworking - Intel® Wifi Link 5100 AGN'

(VERR_INTNET_INCOMPATIBLE_FLAGS).

Failed to attach the network LUN

Unknown error creating VM

Details:

Result code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Component: Console

Interface: IConsole{6375231a-c17c-464b-92cb-ae9e128d71c3}

Can anyone help me use wireless networking? A direct connection is not currently a feasible option for me.

The only hint I have found is that the 5100 lacks support in FreeBSD, and there seems to be a fix, but I have no idea how this would be appied to VirtualBox. See: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=6824

Thanks,

Morgan

i've tried to install Snow Leopard Universal 10.6(432) GM v3.5, but after installation just get the apple logo and everything stops. -v gives me a black screen after "Starting Darwinx86".

i use VB 3.1.4, ubuntu host 32bit.

is there anything i can try?

when i reset the black screen i get a VB error and a log file:

Log created: 2010-02-24T16:05:31.349088000Z

Executable: /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox

Arg[0]: /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox

Arg[1]: --comment

Arg[2]: Mac OSX 10.6

Arg[3]: --startvm

Arg[4]: 576cd91f-0b42-4997-80f8-b1bbb5a22aad

fatal error in recompiler cpu: Trying to execute code with memory type addr_code=00000000000af020 addend=00000000a3e4b000 at 00000000000afff6. (iHandlerMemType=0x38 iMMIOMemType=0x30)

as much as i understand its related with the cpu? i have core2duo e6600.

tried to follow instruction also on http://www.taranfx.com/install-snow-leopard-virtualbox to install snow leopard

using Intel Core2 E8400, windows 7 x64, retail snow leopard dmg

virtualbox v3.1.4 x64 patched with files provided

snow leopard works well

but dvd-rom and network not working in snow leopard,

even tried installing kext for ICHx

and network always shows IP not found

mouse integration works

leopard is installed with iATKOS_v7 DVD and default kernel

which works perfectly with network (except sound), even can perform update from Apple =)

so I decided to stay with leopard, but wonders if the mouse integration can also works on it.

tried to load the kext on leopard, but some error on superclass not linked displayed

where is that VBVMMDevice.kext got from?

if it's compiled manually on Snow Leopard,

is it also possible to compile a version for Leopard too?

thx, and nice work

Hooray!!! I have Snow Leo!!!

everything worked from first time. i did everything like in first post.

my spec:

C2D E6600

VirtualBox 3.1.2

Windows 7 host

tryed to attach the Snow HDD to Ubuntu Virtualbox, but got KP at the apple logo saying: local ACPI not as expected...

Some issues:

the mouse lags sometimes

adding the network related extradata lines causes virtualbox to crash, saying something about wrong flags.

the sound input/output is recognized but no sound at all.

would be great if someone provided a solution for LINUX hosts.

Thanks BlackTr!!!

I followed this guide perfectly and have iDeneb 1.4 running, even switched out the controllers from IDE to SATA for the HDs. My problem is getting Snow Leopard to boot. I select Snow from the Chameleon boot screen and everything starts to load, but then stops and hangs at "Starting Darwin x86_64". Anyone find a solution for this problem? Below are my settings:

VBox 3.1.4 settings:

Operating System: BSD

Version: FreeBSD (64 bit) <-- have tried 32 bit but didn't help

RAM: 2046MB

Boot Order: Hard Disk (Selected), CD/DVD-ROM, Floppy, Network

IP APIC: Enabled

EFI: Disabled

Processor: 1

PAE/NX: Enabled

VT-x/AMD-V: Enabled

Nested Paging: Enabled

Video Memory: 128MB

3D Acceleration: Enabled

2D Acceleration: Disabled

Remote Display: Disabled

Storage: IDE Controller ICH6 with my Snow.vdi and empty CD/DVD (removed Floppy controller)

Audio: Enabled, Windows DirectSound, ICH AC97

Network: Bridged Adapter to Intel Pro/1000 MT Server

Serial: Disabled

USB: Enabled controller and EHCI

Used all the necessary VBox patches supplied in this guide when it said to use them.

As far as my Snow.vdi, I followed the guide and installed the very same "snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.iso" that was used in the guide. I've tried the version of Chameleon (RC2) supplied through this guide as well as the newest RC4 release. Followed the instructions for both.

Then when I attempt to boot my Snow Leopard machine, I get the exact same freeze up no matter what I do. I get all sorts of harddrive activity, then nothing and it's stuck on "Starting Darwin x86_64". I attached a photo of exactly what I see. (Pardon the quality, had to use my iphone because alt+prtScn didn't work, VBox window went black when I'd click away from it).

post-162417-1267228011_thumb.jpg

No, I'm using a Core i7 920 3.2Ghz... Only dedicating one core. The iDeneb 1.4 install works fantastic, but the snow leopard using the retail image won't work... Think I may just try to get the iDeneb Snow Leopard release... So much for trying to use an actual retail release and actually paying for it.

i have core 2 duo and when i installed 3.1.4 i got the same problem...

So are you saying that a different version of VirtualBox did work? Should I revert back to 3.1.2?

You need a KERNEL Core i7 compatible, check previous posts

:P

I've tried the kernels you listed on page 8 of this thread, I might not be installing them right, but I either get kernel panics with all of them, or they freeze up at the same place as before... If you get a chance, I'd appreciate a how-to on how you installed the kernel you used... I see you have an i7 also... Did you install it after installing the SL retail image to your Snow drive? Before or after Chameleon? Please help!

*Edit* - Sorry juliuscesar, was mistaken. It was someone else who had the i7... if you know how though, I'd be really happy! :D

Thx juliuscesar!

Following your suggestions, I tried all Snow kernels on leohazard, and finally ran Snow (10.6 retail) successfully on Vista64, Corei7, VB 3.1.2 (guest OS type:FreeBSD 64bit) with Torinitron's patches. Also network works fine!

At first, the most important things for me was disabling IDE controller and using SATA instead (as already pointed out...).

With SATA some kernels go on booting, but with IDE, 64bit enabled kernels will stuck at "Staring Darwin x86_64" and i386 kernels cause KP.

Work in i386 mode without any boot flags (because these are i386 kernels?):

- BlackNight 10.2.0 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD

- Legacy 10.2.0 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD

- Mobdin 10.0 SSE3 AMD Only

Work in i386 mode with arch=i386 boot flag:

- AnV 10.2.0 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD

Work in x86_64 mode! but very slow:

- PJC 10.2.0 v8 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD

- PJC 10.2.0 v9 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD

Cannot work in both i386 and x86_64 mode:

- retail (Vannila) mach_kernel

- Intel Atom 10.2.0 Only

Thanks.

----

Note: All the above results are tested with Chameleon RC3 PC EFI 10.5.

Any chance you might be able to provide a how-to as to how and at which part of the SL install you installed the kernel that worked best for your i7? I'm assuming that you used retail SL image... Correct?

Hi MacWantABe,

Any chance you might be able to provide a how-to as to how and at which part of the SL install you installed the kernel that worked best for your i7? I'm assuming that you used retail SL image... Correct?

Yes, I used retail SL image.

My installation steps for Core i7, Vista(x64) were as follows:

0. Installed Leo. I used Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd. System type was FreeBSD 32bit.

1. Installed SL in accordance with Black Trinitron's instructions. No printers and no languages.

2. Before booting SL, replaced boot loader and kernel of SL. I used Chameleon RC3 PC EFI 10.5 for boot loader.

Tried several kernels, but finally I chose AnV kernel.

3. Changed VM settings for SL, removed IDE controller and added SATA. Attached SL HDD image created at step 1 to SATA port 0. No CD-ROM drive, because VBox doesn't support CD-ROM for SATA.

4. Booted SL with boot option: arch=i386 -v

VBox settins:

- System type is FreeBSD 64bit

- 2048MB memory, 1 processor, enabling IO APIC, PAE, VT-x/AMD-V, and Nested paging.

- 128MB video memory.

- ICH AC97 audio.

- Bridge adapter, Intel PRO/1000 MT Server.

- No serial port.

- Enabling USB controller, USB 2.0 (EHCI) controller.

Note that I tried to boot the successfully booted SL HDD image on another PC, which is C2D XP 32bit,

but it caused KP.