<enter root password>

make install

modprobe vboxdrv

chmod 666 /dev/vboxdrv

exit

cd ..

./VirtualBox

this will load your new kernel module and runs freshly compiled UI

i did exactly what you an vbox team are proposing...

i get no error when installing it (even if i found it was kinda quick)

but when i launch vboxdrv, i have not any message from it being activated, and i still got this f... message "kernel is not accessible"...

i did exactly what you an vbox team are proposing...

i get no error when installing it (even if i found it was kinda quick)

but when i launch vboxdrv, i have not any message from it being activated, and i still got this f... message "kernel is not accessible"...

rmmode vboxdrv

modprobe ...?

reboot?

I didn't tried 3.1.2 version, I used open source svn checkout. Maybe you have to try too?

yEah will try tonight!

by the way, now youre talking about vt-x, my vbox config doesnt allow me to uncheck it.

I mean the gui page config is grey, i cant check or uncheck vt-x but its checked by default

the xml config file seems ok (vt-x-> "true")

do you think its actvated?

Thx a lot

yEah will try tonight!

by the way, now youre talking about vt-x, my vbox config doesnt allow me to uncheck it.

I mean the gui page config is grey, i cant check or uncheck vt-x but its checked by default

the xml config file seems ok (vt-x-> "true")

do you think its actvated?

Thx a lot

Never saw this page grayed even on Athlon XP 2500+ which doesn't support virtualization at all.

I don't know much about Intel, but it is rumoured that you have to enable virtualization support in BIOS for Intel (on AMD it is always enabled).

Try to set 2 virtual processors on processor page, if vt-x disabled virtualbox complains about that.

Don't forget to chmod 666 /dev/vboxdrv before start.

You need to perform next:

kextcache -a x86_64 -K /Volumes/Snow/mach_kernel -m /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions

or add option arch=x86_64 during boot

thx for the advice but it didn't work for me :wacko: ... i suspect the boot loader I use (PCEFI 10.5) so i tried something else by booting using the darwin.iso file for VMware by Donk then swicthed to the external HDD but it gave different KP (image attached). Do u think using cpu or busratio flags may help ? .. TIA

Damn, nice work. Bookmarking this to return to later, once I have all of my memory back in my desktop.

One thing I'm wondering - you have the base steps for creating the VM, then booting into the installer. Step 20 - is that instead of the VM created at the very beginning (i.e. if you're going straight to SL instead of 10.5, use the VM settings in step 20?)

SL 10.6.1 didn't work for me on VB. It works on VMWare, so I decided to try and install it on VB too. The setup process went ok, but after the restart I get the same error everytime (Invalid front-side frequency 45 hz, disabling cpu). I tried everything, but I can't get SL to boot. Any ideas?

P.S. Those patched files in that archive broke my VB, I can't launch it after overwriting the original files.

LE: The reason why your patched files didn't work for me (and someone else on the first page) is that they're for the x86 version, and I'm running a x64 Win, so I had to install the x64 version of VB.

@Black Trinitron: I've modified the files with a hex editor, but I can't find the string in the last file (VboxVMM.dll).

I've given up on this. Installed iDeneb 1.6 lite, got past the KP with the included ACPI fix, Leo boots fine and fast, but no matter what I do I can't get the network to work. Also, my keyboard and mouse (both on USB), don't work like in vmare, I always have to "capture" those devices after booting the OS and that leaves me with no keyboard and mouse on the host, at least until I shut down the guest.

So I guess this VB stuff is a no-go for me...

Didn't you tried to press right Control key gently?

Ohhh, but I did...so what?? The cursor on the host just appears or disappears if I hit the right Ctrl and nothing works there, just in the guest. If I shutdown the guest, everything goes back to normal.

P.S. That ideneb 1.6 was the only version that I could boot on VB, and I believe it was because the iso included that ACPI fix that fixed those KPs I had before. The 10.5.5 version, although it includes some acpi fix, doesn't boot, just KPs right after the logo. The same happens with SL 10.6.

Trying with the iDeneb 1.6 lite edition, I'm able to install and boot in VB only setting the VodooPS2 driver.

The system boots normally and the speed seems good to me.

The Network (Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop) works if VB cable connected option disabled at boot and connected after login.

Sound also don't work (the ac97audio kext drivers in SNutils.iso don't work for me)

All of this in Karmic with VirtualBox 3.1.2 512Mb IDE=ICH6 IO_APIC & PAE & VT-X enabled.

Thanks darkbyte, the PS2 driver solved my mouse and keyboard issues. However my network is still down. Trying your way, with the cable connected option activated after the login, worked, as Leo sees my ethernet connection and can communicate with the dhcp server. But there's not internet access. And in the network properties I see only the ip address and the subnet mask, the dns field is empty...shouldn't this also be updated via dhcp? I'm thinking that's the reason I have no net access on the gues.

P.S. I'm on bridged networking, but I've also tried NAT and still no internet.

Thanks darkbyte, the PS2 driver solved my mouse and keyboard issues. However my network is still down. Trying your way, with the cable connected option activated after the login, worked, as Leo sees my ethernet connection and can communicate with the dhcp server. But there's not internet access. And in the network properties I see only the ip address and the subnet mask, the dns field is empty...shouldn't this also be updated via dhcp? I'm thinking that's the reason I have no net access on the gues.

P.S. I'm on bridged networking, but I've also tried NAT and still no internet.

Tested just on iDeneb_v1.6_1058_Lite_Edition over window$ 7 32bit

Add to your machine.xlm the following:

to the section <ExtraData>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000f/0/Trusted" value="integer:1"/>

Set your VirtualBox Leo as:

-Network card 'Intel PRO/1000 MT Server', attached to 'Bridged Adapter'

Browsing fine

Failed to start the virtual machine.

VERR_PDM_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND

Result Code:

E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Component:

Console

Interface:

IConsole {6375231a-c17c-464b-92cb-ae9e128d71c3}

This is what I get after adding that extra data.

If you use self-compiled open-source version, try to update sources. Yesterday I had similar error, after compiling today changes network is OK.

You can use <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/Devices/e1000/0/Trusted" value="1"/> instead, but no diference for me.

If you don't put a dns server you can't browse any server.

Try to put manually instead of dhcp.

You can also change vesa resolution with this

<ExtraDataItem name="CustomVideoMode1" value="1280x800x32"/>

and editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist inside de Ideneb installation

and entering "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" in Kernel Flags

You can use <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/Devices/e1000/0/Trusted" value="1"/> instead, but no diference for me.

You can use

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/Devices/e1000/0/Trusted" value="1"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/PDM/Devices/PcExt/Path" value="VBoxDD3"/>

ONLY:

if you have VBoxDD3.dll library inside VB directory

if you have x86 version of windows

Thanks for the aclaration black triniton (I'm using ubuntu 9.10 i686 as host and VB package from Sun)

Actually I'm trying to make audio to work inside VB.

I modified de Info.plist in AppleAC97Audio.kext with the correct id for ICH6 inside VB (24158086) but audio it's weird rigth now.

;)

Thanks for the aclaration black triniton (I'm using ubuntu 9.10 i686 as host and VB package from Sun)

Actually I'm trying to make audio to work inside VB.

I modified de Info.plist in AppleAC97Audio.kext with the correct id for ICH6 inside VB (24158086) but audio it's weird rigth now.

;)

Did you try AppleAC97Audio.kext from SnUtils.iso?

How I remember there is support of Snow Leopard only

You can try files from http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

attached kext to support integration of VB mouse (shared clipboard is not supported yet)VBVMMDevice.kext.zip

kext is supports snow leopard only!

Well I figured that I have to enter a dns, but should I enter VB's adapter ip or my real DNS? I tried both, to be honest, and it doesn't work. And the dhcp server assigns ip's from a different class than the one that's being used by VB's network adapter. Weird.

Finally I need to put my network information manually to have internet connection (with the connect/disconnect cable trick)

Did you try AppleAC97Audio.kext from SnUtils.iso?

How I remember there is support of Snow Leopard only

You can try files from http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

attached kext to support integration of VB mouse (shared clipboard is not supported yet)VBVMMDevice.kext.zip

kext is supports snow leopard only!

Well, the AppleAC97Audio.kext from SnUtils don't seems to work for me... :D

Do you know which is the latest AppleAC97Audio.kext existent for leopard 10.5.8 ? (And where it's the dowload :D )

The VBVMMDevice it's for mouse integration from VB guest and Host desktop ??? :(